As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video game industry thread: Trogdor commands you to use the new thread

• knightblade87knightblade87 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Someone better get a hold of the guy who had the Babbage preorder. hell he need to get a free copy.

knightblade87 on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Off topic question while I'm at it: is there anything in the Uncharted 2 Game of the Year edition that really affects single-player? Near as I can tell it's mostly for multiplayer. I need to finally pick that up.

Nope, it just contains the extra multiplayer maps and skins. There was a rumour about an Elena sidestory DLC at one point but it never happened. Would've been cool though.

And Brainiac, you're missing the PSN R&C, Quest for Booty. Though it's a lot less of a blast em up and much more of a platformer.

As for Gamespy, I guess indie devs are the only ones left desperate enough to use it then?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited February 2011
    Someone better get a hold of the guy who had the Babbage preorder. hell he need to get a free copy.

Are you talking about Slash's preorder? Or was there a copycat?

Unco-ordinated on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think Gamespy still does a lot of backend stuff for the multiplayer aspects of a number of devs. Wisely, most devs just stick it in the credits or something because Gamespy is a piece of shit. Borderlands PC used it and was such a horrific mess that it completely turned me off on bothering to pick up any of the DLC packs.

I don't even get how Gamespy has managed to stay alive. It's been a piece of complete trash ever since I saw it years and years ago and has somehow made that a viable business model.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Off topic question while I'm at it: is there anything in the Uncharted 2 Game of the Year edition that really affects single-player? Near as I can tell it's mostly for multiplayer. I need to finally pick that up.

Nope, it just contains the extra multiplayer maps and skins. There was a rumour about an Elena sidestory DLC at one point but it never happened. Would've been cool though.

Sad to hear about lack of DLC, but looks like I can save a few bucks on the non-game of the year edition, then. (Nothing against Sony; I buy a lot of games late for cheaper. Then again, I fired up Batman: Arkahm Asylum for the first time yesterday and instantly regretted waiting so long. I'm a big Batman fan, especially of the 90s animated series. What the hell is wrong with me?)

And yes, Slash is the DNF pre-order guy. If Gearbox doesn't do anything awesome for him there's no justice in the world.

Edit: Personally, I'm amazed that Gamespy the gaming news site has stayed alive so long. Ever since it was eaten by IGN, everyone just seemed to forget about it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Sad to hear about lack of DLC, but looks like I can save a few bucks on the non-game of the year edition, then. (Nothing against Sony; I buy a lot of games late for cheaper. Then again, I fired up Batman: Arkahm Asylum for the first time yesterday and instantly regretted waiting so long. I'm a big Batman fan, especially of the 90s animated series. What the hell is wrong with me?)

And yes, Slash is the DNF pre-order guy. If Gearbox doesn't do anything awesome for him there's no justice in the world.

Edit: Personally, I'm amazed that Gamespy the gaming news site has stayed alive so long. Ever since it was eaten by IGN, everyone just seemed to forget about it.

Over the time I've known you, I only ever tried to give you two pieces of advice:

1. Never ever EVER play Sonic Chronicles.
    2. For the love of god, play Batman now now NOW! WHY ARE YOU WAITING SO LONG!?!?

You didn't listen to me both times, and now see, I was right twice! :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/290745/hacked-off-with-ps3-hacks-buying-console-does-not-give-unrestricted-ownership-argues-braben/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS
    Boss of UK Kinectimals and Elite studio Frontier, David Braben, has hit out at PS3's hacking community - arguing that a purchase of a console does not bring "unrestricted ownership".

Speaking in his blog over on respected industry site Develop, Braben admitted that he is "really annoyed" with hackers who claim they can do what they wish with hardware they have purchased.

The development veteran called on fellow studios to help Sony strategise against those who are keen to jailbreak the console, warning that "tomorrow, it will affect all of us".

"Buying a PlayStation 3... does not give me unrestricted ownership of it," argued Braben. "If I 'dig' into it, I can't just sell or even give away all the information I find.

"It really annoys me when hackers claim they can do what they like with what they find, especially when it is destructive to the security of all the other PS3 machines."

He added: "There have been suggestions that releasing hacking information is an issue of freedom of speech. That is such rubbish. Some freedoms of speech are also curtailed for sensible reasons.

"Broadcasting easy ways of breaking into cars is bad for everyone affected, as is the freedom of speech cliché that is always wheeled out - shouting 'Fire' in a cinema, which creates a real risk of harm to others. It is common sense not to do it."

Braben claimed that there is a growing "failure to acknowledge intellectual property rights" - from retail as well as jailbreak perpetrators.

He commented: "A game is an item and a service too, except there are people out there trying to prevent publishers and developers detecting whether a game is new or has been sold again.

"The equivalent is adjusting the paperwork and registration number on your second hand car to get a new warranty and free maintenance out of your garage.

"We see shops using polishing machines on used game discs, and even replacing the outer sleeve to make a scratched game look new. With a game, the service is a combination of the single player game and online support."

Braben's comments come after a recent spate of PS3 hacks. Sony this month began banning jailbreak users from its PSN service.
    Okaaaaaaaaaay. Hilariously bad analogy too.

Couscous on
    edited February 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Over the time I've known you, I only ever tried to give you two pieces of advice:

2. For the love of god, play Batman now now NOW! WHY ARE YOU WAITING SO LONG!?!?

I know. Dear god, I know. Arkham Asylum has no right to be as friggin fantastic as it is. And I know it's supposed to be creepy, but I practically squeal like Harley every time the Joker talks to me some more. HOW THE BLOODY HELL IS LUKE SKYWALKER SUCH A GODDAMN FANTASTIC JOKER?!?

Ahem. Yes. I'm enjoying the game.

Apparently different "parental codes" lead to different endings. Dear lord.

cloudeagle on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Except it's perfectly legal to tell people how to break into cars. Knowing how to do something is not illegal, even if in most circumstances it's illegal to actually do it.}

And if you own the car you can break into it as much as you want!

Basically he's saying that people don't own their PS3s

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ubisoft: We make quality titles for the Wii.

Sigtyr on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I know. Dear god, I know. Arkham Asylum has no right to be as friggin fantastic as it is. And I know it's supposed to be creepy, but I practically squeal like Harley every time the Joker talks to me some more. HOW THE BLOODY HELL IS LUKE SKYWALKER SUCH A GODDAMN FANTASTIC JOKER?!?

Ahem. Yes. I'm enjoying the game.

Apparently different "parental codes" lead to different endings. Dear lord.

Hey I am all for swinging but do you really need to bust out the Wii to bang your neighbour?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited February 2011
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    Ubisoft: We make quality titles for the Wii.

It'll sell, just add a Z to the end of the title!

They should have named it Beyond Good and Evilz, it would have been a gold mine.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Holy shit that cant be real.

Pole dancing Mii's were weird. Nintendo is cool with that?

Also, I got the gay ending. Literally!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If it's real, it has a non-NA rating code. Whatever it's for, it's not for US.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited February 2011
    You can buy lockpicking books and lockpicks online.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lock-Technology-1000-Supreme-Master/dp/B002XMW8SA/ref=pd_sbs_auto_4
    Or you could just watch videos on youtube.

Couscous on
    edited February 2011
    Yea, his reasoning and analogy about the PS3 hacking were extremely faulty. I mean the CIA teach and employ hackers on a regular basis. Someone sue the CIA!

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wha... what the fuck am I watching?!

Henroid on
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, that's pretty dumb. I can break into my own car, and all that analogy nonsense.

Anyway, apparently the We Dare ending people have been saying is the one you want requires the code 6969. Classy.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited February 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Wha... what the fuck am I watching?!

The world's genitals burning.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ... figures the first 'ending' I click on is the one with the two guys sitting there, awkwardly.

Henroid on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

It is rated for 12 and up in the EU with a "Parental Guidance Suggested" on the boxart.

18126986x.jpg

I don't know how you can advertise the game like this and then show that rating.

What also gets me is that this supports the balance board. :winky:

What really gets me is that with this actually existing, then this could become the future.

1108856019_wZAD4-L.jpg

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    BTP wrote: »

It is rated for 12 and up in the EU with a "Parental Guidance Suggested" on the boxart.

I don't know how you can advertise the game like this and then show that rating.

And in Bully you could make Jimmy Hopkins kiss other boys. Still just a T for Teen. The game itself? Probably not particularly sexual. Just because the video shows specific ways to play doesn't mean that's how it has to be played. Game ratings are about game content. If you want to play a game in the nuddy, go ahead.

That doesn't make it AO.

By the way, after the ad blitz for GH:World Tour or the shitty viral GH5 ads, this complaint of yours rings very fucking hollow.

Are we now at the point where we should be discouraging devs from making games for adults on the Wii? Man... Nothing truly is ever good enough, is it?

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited February 2011

And in Bully you could make Jimmy Hopkins kiss other boys. Still just a T for Teen. The game itself? Probably not particularly sexual. Just because the video shows specific ways to play doesn't mean that's how it has to be played. Game ratings are about game content. If you want to play a game in the nuddy, go ahead.

That doesn't make it AO.

By the way, after the ad blitz for GH:World Tour or the shitty viral GH5 ads, this complaint of yours rings very fucking hollow.

Are we now at the point where we should be discouraging devs from making games for adults on the Wii? Man... Nothing truly is ever good enough, is it?

Though I agree, there's probably not a chance in hell Ubi will release this in the land of the Puritans. Americans are still too hung up about sex.

Meanwhile, reading this is about as painful as finding out Santa isn't real:
    As Lego announces that it's purchased NetDevil's Lego Universe team and taking over development of the MMORPG, the Colorado-based studio has laid off a substantial number of its staff.

NetDevil initially took on Lego Universe's development as a work-for-hire project, launching the subscription-based game last October. Lego Group, owners of the Lego toy brand, has purchased the online game's development team and offices, and has reportedly started laying off workers.

Several staff members who were made redundant began hinting at the layoffs last night by posting images of a "NetDevil R.I.P." tombstone on Facebook. Former character and creature animator, Toby Cochran, also posted a confirmation of his and others' terminations from the developer.

"We were all told we were 'safe' just a week or so ago, and last night the first couple of people let go were posting on Facebook," explains Cochran. "Then all hell broke loose on Facebook and everyone was getting anxious; it was a total surprise to be getting a call saying you lost your job."

He added, "From what we've been told, a handful of artists will be kept on board [to] continue working on Lego Universe. But at the moment that will be a very, very small team. As the count continues to rise on Facebook, they've cut over 20 people."

The developer's workers who haven't been absorbed by Lego or laid off will relocate to a nearby office and continue work on browser-based online action RPG Fortune Online, according to a report from Big Download. NetDevil is also working on another MMORPG called Jumpgate Evolution.

Founded in 1997, NetDevil had more than 100 full-time employees before the layoffs, according to the company's official site. Its shipped titles include Jumpgate, Auto Assault, Warmonger: Operation Downtown Destruction, and most recently Lego Universe.

NetDevil was purchased in 2008 by Gazillion Entertainment, which also owns The Amazing Society, Secret Identity, and Slipgate Ironworks. The San Mateo-based publisher raised $60 million in November 2010 as it prepared to enter "a key phase of expansion."

"The transition of members of our team to the Lego Group allows us to conclude the work-for-hire segment of NetDevil's business and lets us expand our internally-published, free-to-play game businesses based on our own properties and licensed properties," said Gazillion president David Brevik.

Brevik added, "Gazillion is wholly focused on developing, operating, and publishing the next generation of browser-delivered games We're proud of the Lego Universe game that our team built, and we are certain that it has a bright future."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33195/Lego_Buys_NetDevils_Lego_Universe_Team_Lays_Off_Staff.php

Oh, Lego. Your products are so awesome! Why do you have to be dicks?

cloudeagle on
    edited February 2011

That doesn't make it AO.

Though I agree, there's probably not a chance in hell Ubi will release this in the land of the Puritans. Americans are still too hung up about sex.

Which is why I pointed out that the rating code was not from North America and capitalised both letters for 'US'. This game is not for us or the US. That we should feel the need to feel ashamed because somebody somewhere made a video game version of one of the many 'adult' boardgames that exist says more about us for bagging on it than them for making it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33195/Lego_Buys_NetDevils_Lego_Universe_Team_Lays_Off_Staff.php

Oh, Lego. Your products are so awesome! Why do you have to be dicks?

I don't get it.

Why would you buy a company, then immediately get rid of the people that made the company good enough to want to buy it?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited February 2011
    Gameloft has now moved from making licensed games to making ripoffs of games to making licensed games. Rainbow Six: Shadow Vanguard was announced for the iPhone. Is the Tom Clancy series about dead yet?

Couscous on
    edited February 2011
    "Tom Clancy" isn't really a series, is it? Just a name they can throw up there.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited February 2011
    Kotaku said Ubisoft is confirming the Wii (and PS3, apparently) game is Europe-only.

Speaking of which, Kotaku has gradually rolled back its website changes again. Instead of plopping you onto the top story and forcing you to use a frame filled with vague headlines to get anywhere, they've brought back the chronological list of stories with lead paragraphs that you can browse.

....yet the awful frame is still there. And it's still loaded with just the headline of each article, and in the same chronological order that the main part of the page is in. So... why would you use the frame at all? And in the process, the site is no longer flogging certain top stories, which Gawker Media's head guy was blathering on and on about how they were the main reason for the change.

I realize this could just be a thing with me, a la Penisstorm and attempting to get people to pay attention to the business of Facebook games, but I've never seen such a redesign trainwreck.

cloudeagle on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I really don't know what cachet using Clancy's licensed name can have anymore. I can't imagine that the target audience of such games reads his books.

Gaslight on
    edited February 2011

The word "franchise" is probably more accurate.

Couscous on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kotaku said Ubisoft is confirming the Wii (and PS3, apparently) game is Europe-only.

Speaking of which, Kotaku has gradually rolled back its website changes again. Instead of plopping you onto the top story and forcing you to use a frame filled with vague headlines to get anywhere, they've brought back the chronological list of stories with lead paragraphs that you can browse.

....yet the awful frame is still there. And it's still loaded with just the headline of each article, and in the same chronological order that the main part of the page is in. So... why would you use the frame at all? And in the process, the site is no longer flogging certain top stories, which Gawker Media's head guy was blathering on and on about how they were the main reason for the change.

I realize this could just be a thing with me, a la Penisstorm and attempting to get people to pay attention to the business of Facebook games, but I've never seen such a redesign trainwreck.

I just flatout quit going to Kotaku until they fix the terrible design. I imagine they suffered a LARGE drop in hits since they've rolled out the new layout.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited February 2011
    You know that pre-GDC event Microsoft were having? Well it's over, let's have a look at the killer announcements:

http://majornelson.com/archive/2011/02/24/gears-of-war-3-beta-update-and-much-more-just-announced-long.aspx
    Gears of War 3 Beta update and much more just announced

At the Xbox press event today in San Francisco we announced details about the upcoming Gears of War 3 multiplayer beta, as well as additional news for Xbox 360, Kinect, Windows Phone 7 and PC gamers.

Here is a run down of the news:

Gears of War 3- Kicking off in mid-April, the Gears of War 3 public multiplayer beta will give players a chance to experience three new Versus Multiplayer modes on four new maps, and help shape the year’s biggest blockbuster, set to launch worldwide on Sept. 20 and in Japan on Sept. 22. You can even decide which maps you would like to see in the beta starting today by visiting the Gears of War Facebook page and voting on their favorites. Voting ends on Feb. 28.

Halo: Reach Defiant Map Pack – Available on Xbox LIVE for 800 Microsoft Points on March 15, the Halo: Reach Defiant Map Pack introduces three stunning new battlefields for the most critically acclaimed shooter of 2010. Set in the heat of the legendary Battle of Reach, the three new warfronts – Condemned, Highlands and Unearthed – are primed for non-stop action in Firefight and all competitive multiplayer modes.

Halo Waypoint – Looking for more ways to share your best Halo victories with friends? Fire up Halo Waypoint on Windows Phone 7 or HaloWaypoint.com today to check out the new stat-tracking features, which allow you to share your in-game stats on the web and compare against friends from the palm of your hand.

Fable III Traitor’s Keep game add-on – Available on Xbox LIVE Marketplace for 560 Microsoft Points on March 1, the Traitor’s Keep game add-on continues the journey as fans venture into three new levels called Ravenscar Keep, Clockwork Island, and the Godwin Estate, taking on new quests and encountering a mysterious prisoner. Traitor’s Keep also comes packed with 250 gamerscore points and additional content.

Crysis 2 3-D – Stunning in either HD or 3-D, Crysis 2 from Crytek and Electronic Arts, lets players step into a post-apocalyptic world where alien invaders stalk the streets of New York City. With 12 multiplayer maps and six modes on Xbox LIVE, wield the supersoldier enhancements of the Nanosuit 2 when Crysis 2 launches on Xbox 360 on March 22.

Child of Eden – Winner of several E3 awards, Child of Eden is a multi-sensory shooter from the mind of renowned game designer Tetsuya Mizuguchi that will send players diving into a kaleidoscopic matrix of synchronized music and mind-blowing visuals. Since “Child of Eden” was designed with Kinect for Xbox 360 in mind, only on Xbox 360 players will experience the controller-free magic that provides a new dimension of immersion when the game launches later this year.

Once Upon a Monster – In a truly original interactive experience, young players join Cookie Monster, Elmo and other Sesame Street characters as they explore a living storybook titled Once Upon a Monster. In the book, they make new zany monster friends from the Once Upon a Monster world and share in their adventures, solving problems, forging friendships and learning key life skills along the way. Parents and children literally become part of the whimsical storybook adventure by getting active together through dancing, jumping, flying and more.

The Gunstringer – From the developers that brought you award-winning hits like Splosion Man, The Maw and Comic Jumper, comes an all-new Kinect-exclusive title, The Gunstringer for Xbox LIVE Arcade. Take control of an undead marionette in an epic Wild West stage production that requires your puppeteering and quick draw shooting skills to exact revenge on the Gunstringer's enemies – all controller-free.

The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile – Created by award-winning indie developer James Silva, “The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile” is the stylistic action platform sequel to 2009’s “Dead Samurai.” The exclusive Xbox LIVE Arcade title features solo and co-op campaigns, 50 intense arcade challenges, an almost endless Dish Challenge, and now for the first time, the combo-fueled action will be playable in 3D. Grab your six foot long syringe and sharpen your cleavers, because it's about to get bloody.

Fable III for Windows – Launching in the US on May 17, Fable II for Windows takes gamers back to Albion for the next installment of the beloved Fable franchise. Players can take advantage of the same great action found on the console game as well as a full 3-D functionality made possible by NVIDIA technology and a PC-exclusive hardcore mode which offers a higher level of difficulty.

Age of Empires Online for Windows – The next evolution in the best-selling real-time strategy franchise, Age of Empires Online invites players to create a living, growing online world, shared with friends and friendly rivals around the world. With a robust free-to-play experience and a deep selection of premium content packs, Age of Empires Online is always evolving so you can choose the content that’s right for you and your budget.

Fable Coin Golf – Launching March exclusively on Windows Phone 7, Fable: Coin Golf draws upon the wealth of traditional British pub games and lets you transfer gold earned in the game to your Fable III game on either Xbox 360 or Windows. In addition, you can unlock three exclusive weapons that can be used in the Traitor’s Keep game add-on.

Must Have Games for Xbox LIVE on Windows Phone 7: Kicking off this spring, this collection of the biggest names in mobile games brings you six weeks of hits, including Plants vs Zombies, Hydro Thunder Go, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I, geoDefense, Doodle Jumpand more – all complete with Xbox LIVE Achievements, leaderboards and more.
    I think I must have gone blind or something. All I see are a bunch of shit we already knew about and some multiplatform games. Clearly content worth staging an event for.

Unco-ordinated on
    edited February 2011
    Couscous wrote: »

The word "franchise" is probably more accurate.

Brandname.

EDIT: Christ, Microsoft. Not since Wizards of the Coast's recent D&D shenanigans have I been so clueless as to WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR GAMEPLAN!

Undead Scottsman on
    edited February 2011

I never saw even one moment of this redesign, but no, it's not really just you. Practically every site has redesign issues (Spend time on the Rock Band Forums looking at posts when they released RB3...and it's still pretty shitty.). The problem is when you are a high traffic website and your redesign has no interest in usability.

Aside from usual switch-bitching, most websites just fall back into normal when people get used to it. From what I've read, Kotaku just fucked it up and still don't seem to know why.

Keep all this in mind if they ever get around to upgrading these forums.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited February 2011
    Outside of that REZ-like game and Sesame Street, do we have any idea of retail releases for the Kinect later in the year?

Couscous on
    edited February 2011
    That MS conference was a bit of a joke. We knew about most of those.

Bah I say!

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

That doesn't make it AO.

I'm not sure where your anger is coming from (at least that's how your post reads to me) but the major difference between this and GH:WT is that everyone knew how to play GH already and could immediately tell that's not how you play it. You knew what they were doing was exaggerated but at the same it showed someone who (in their own way) was really into the game and enjoying it. At that point, the ads weren't about how you play the game, it was about "Hey, a new Guitar Hero game is coming out!"

We Dare, however, is entirely new. Being the first ad for it, it should show something about the game itself or how it's played, and that ad showed it as the more adult version of Wii Party, based on the long Wii Party ad.
    (for reference)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_kZwpzgIBM

For the We Dare ad to give the impression that it is for adults, to then find out the game is rated for 12 and up leaves me with the feeling that the ad completely failed to demonstrate what the game is about or how it's played, because there is no way 12 year olds are going to be doing what we saw in the ad.

To me, this isn't even close to the GH ads. This is closer to the European Juiced ad.

Of course not. You're getting the complete opposite from me. It just doesn't make sense for a game being advertised as such (complete with Miis pole dancing) be rated for 12 and up. The two just don't match.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not sure where your anger is coming from (at least that's how your post reads to me)

In my limited experience with the game industry threads, Santa is angry most of the time.

Gaslight on
    edited February 2011
    Shit, I missed this:
    Age of Empires Online for Windows – The next evolution in the best-selling real-time strategy franchise, Age of Empires Online invites players to create a living, growing online world, shared with friends and friendly rivals around the world. With a robust free-to-play experience and a deep selection of premium content packs, Age of Empires Online is always evolving so you can choose the content that’s right for you and your budget.

An honest to goodness piece of news! Shame it's PC related.

EDIT: I Just can't get over how shitty that conference was.

-Gears 3 Beta date
    -Halo Reach DLC that we already knew about
    -Halo Waypoint on Windows 7
    -Fable III DLC
    -Crysis 2.. IN 3D
    -Kinect game that we already knew about! (Child of Eden)
    -Sesame Street Game
    -Two XBLA titles we already knew about
    -Fable III FOR WINDOWS
    -Age of Empires Online.. Again for WINDOWS
    -Fabel Coin Golf for your Windows 7 phone
    -XBLA games for the Windows 7 Phone

So, TL;DR, a bunch of crap for Windows 7 phone, a bunch of crap for the PC, a bunch of XBLA titles we already knew about, Reach DLC we already knew about, Fable III DLC, Gears 3 beta date, Crysis 2 in 3D and a Sesame Street game.

Should.. Should we start lolmicrosofting?

Undead Scottsman on