Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Social Entropy++: AWESOME POST in "Did you get that memo? [JOBS]", by Fishman

DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in [2008-2012] Awesome Posts?
DrZiplock has reported a post.

Reason:
Observe.

Before:
So I think I just dodged a bullet, in a way.

Applied for this marketing job that seemed kinda cool, which from the description sounded like it would be working on some marketing and advertising strategies for non-profits in a fun office setting. Sounded like something I could really sink my teeth into! Creative, relaxed, and possibly tie-optional!

Then today I get contacted by for an interview on Thursday for this job. Not by the company that I applied to, but by its parent company called APPCO. Having never heard of these guys and curious as to why the company I applied to didn't reach out to me I did a little Google-fu and learned that APPCO is a branch of the global monster known as Cobra, which is famous for bringing in late-teens and early-twenty-somethings to do crazy-long hours of sales for scraps of commission pay. For those of you in NYC or other metro areas, I would have basically been one of those poor guys that jump you on the sidewalk asking for charity donations with their little clipboards. It reeks of a pyramid scheme, and I've emailed them telling them to piss off in the kindest words I can manage.

It stinks because I thought this would be a good chance to get a "real" job with things like, I dunno, benefits. Turns out I would have been putting myself into a worse position than I'm in right now. So yeah, bullet dodged, I think.

After:
Forum: Social Entropy++
Assigned Moderators: WhipstitchZombie, Larlar, Bogey, Knob, potatoe, Orikaeshigitae

Posted by: Fishman
Original Content:
TomeWyrm wrote: »
So I think I just dodged a bullet, in a way.

Applied for this marketing job that seemed kinda cool, which from the description sounded like it would be working on some marketing and advertising strategies for non-profits in a fun office setting. Sounded like something I could really sink my teeth into! Creative, relaxed, and possibly tie-optional!

Then today I get contacted by for an interview on Thursday for this job. Not by the company that I applied to, but by its parent company called APPCO. Having never heard of these guys and curious as to why the company I applied to didn't reach out to me I did a little Google-fu and learned that APPCO is a branch of the global monster known as Cobra, which a secret paramilitary / terrorist organization whose motives are to acquire wealth and power. Originally funded by a variety of shady business schemes, including pyramid schemes and bad faith trading, Cobra soon evolved from a business into a paramilitary movement. Motivated by greed and power, the group soon expanded all over the country, operating in secret, engaging in terrorism to achieve their objectives. By the time the U.S. government recognized Cobra as a threat, the organization had already gained footholds as a powerful private army and terrorist organization around the world.

For those of you in NYC or other metro areas, I would have basically been one of those poor infantry soldiers that complement the Cobra Troopers, answering to Destro or Serpentor, who inevitably gets thrown clear of the explosion when crack GI Joe teams start taking out our armored support. Although benefiting from better training and more sophisticated equipment than a stock trooper, as a 'Cobra Viper' I would be "the backbone of Cobra Legions". Opportunities for growth are limited, but "if you want to get anywhere in Cobra, you have to start out as a Viper". No thanks.

It stinks because I thought this would be a good chance to get a "real" job with things like, I dunno, benefits. Turns out I would have been putting myself into a worse position than I'm in right now. So yeah, bullet dodged, I think.

DrZiplock on
snap02869.jpg "zip, i dunno what it is about you, but there's something very cat-like about your face. i can't really place it. like, a puma or something. you'd make a good mountain lion."