Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Starcraft 2: Dustin "Trollface" Browder (also, sign up for CSL!)

SeguerSeguer Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
sc2logo.jpg

The Starcraft II discussion thread

So you wanna craft some stars, huh?

The SC2 thread goes a million miles per hour and will leave you in the dust if you aren't prepared. All things are open to discussion here from build orders, practice partners, race match-ups, tournament talk, and general bizarre Korean stuff (usually brought to you by the letter S and the number 86). In order to keep up, I highly recommend you bookmark the following sites:

The Day[9] Daily Live Stream. Sean "Day9" Plott is an 11 year Starcraft veteran, so he knows his shit. He does a live stream Sunday through Thursday that airs 7pm PST/10pm EST. If you miss a stream, you can watch it, and every other streams he's ever done, in his archives. BOOKMARK HIS SITES! You will not be disappointed.

State of the Game A weekly podcast hosted by Day[9], JP, Tyler, and inControl. If you don't know who these people are, you clearly aren't watching enough SC2 tournament stuff. Just bookmark the damn site and listen to it on the go.

HD Starcraft. Good site for beginners to learn from and watch higher end players as well. Being Youtube videos, you can fast forward and rewind to help learn strategies and build orders.

HuskyStarcraft. The brother site of HD Starcraft. Another good site for watching videos of foreign tournaments and for general learning by watching pros.

Gretorp's live stream. A high level Terran player who has amassed quite a following.

Team Liquid. Team Liquid is the biggest Starcraft related fan site out on the Internet today. They follow everything Starcraft related including the pro scene. Many great articles, forums, and information can be found here. A must bookmark for any Starcraft fan.

Starcraft II Liquipedia. Team Liquid has created a wikipedia site for everything SC2 related. This will be updated as time goes on and all information found here should be legit as possible.

Team Liquid Tournament Tracker. Want to play in some SC2 tournaments? Bookmark this link to see what's running now and upcoming in the future.

GOM TV.net. The only officially Blizzard backed tournament spot in Korea. Has a dedicated pair of English casters in the form of Artosis and Nick "Tastless" Plott, Day[9]'s older brother. Great high-end play to be found here. No really, watch this if you've never seen how insane the Korean's take to SC2.

Zerg help with pro player Eg.Machine. Here are three videos featuring opening builds and other great information when playing as Zerg. Each video is an hour long and will help you go a long way at improving your Zerg gameplay. Help with ZvP here, ZvT here, and ZvZ here.

Common timings and when they hit. Exactly what it sounds like.

Chat Channels exist now! Come hang out in PA!

OK that's all cool, but I want to play with some PA people. Easy, follow these 5 simple steps.
Spoiler:

A list of other PA related SC2 stuff.
Spoiler:

Help guides for new players painstakingly created by fellow forum goers. READ THESE FIRST!
Spoiler:

logotitle2.png
Curvy Star League lite 2 | Friday Mar.04.11 8:00pm EST

Please sign up with the naming format: Name.IdentifierRace (Simon.505P)

Maps
1 Tal'Darim Altar (Search 'GSL' for 'GSL Taldarim Altar' by Szomoru)
2 Lost Temple (Under 'Blizzard Maps' as 'Lost Temple' by Blizzard)
3 Crossfire (Search 'GSL' for 'GSL Cross Fire SE' by Szomoru)
Maps were picked randomly from the map pool

Format
Players must be in bronze, silver, gold, or platinum league when signing up
8 players
Double elimination. Players are seeded randomly
Every match is a best of 3
North American Server

logotitle.png
Curvy Star League 7 | Saturday Mar.05.11 8:00pm EST

Please sign up with the naming format: Name.IdentifierRace (Simon.505P)

Maps
1 Crevass (Search 'GSL' for 'GSL Crevassè' by Szomoru)
2 Terminus (Search 'GSL' for 'GSTL/GSL TerminusRE' by Szomoru)
3 Scrap Station (Under 'Blizzard Maps' as 'Scrap Station' by Blizzard)
Maps were picked randomly from the map pool

Format
8 players
Double elimination.
Players are seeded randomly
Every match is a best of 3
North American Server

Seguer on

• peacekeeperpeacekeeper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    he could expand 4 times at once for only gas

that's a proven strat by a top player ;D

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    New thread.

Same as old thread.

Smells new.

xb6UfDM.gif
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    repostin' dis

Dhalphir wrote: »
    I really don't like that the NASL is not broadcast live.

I know its still casted live, but its just not the same.

Going to quote someone from teamliquid because they said exactly what I feel better than I ever could
    When something is truely live, the outcome is unknown and we in our silly human nature feel a connection to events as they unfold, as the future is still yet to be created before our eyes, anything can happen. You watch a VOD and the future becomes the past, the outcome is set in stone, there is a fatalistic mental state that actually does change the way we perceive recorded events compared to live ones.

Tube-san wrote:
    I apologise for my rudeness desu.
  • SeguerSeguer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I has the pooweeerrrrsss!

edited February 2011
    I agree 100% Dhal. I think it's a stupid move. Even if I can't watch it live 90% of the time, I'd rather it be live anyway.

xb6UfDM.gif
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Tasteless still doesn't know that Xel'Naga Caverns is an underground map!

• EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I can see the argument for it being live, but at the same time, I agree with NASL's decision. Not only are technical difficulties minimized, having the games produced into a proper show seems like a good decision. Even if it's just for the first season, I'm interested in how their format will work. Also, I think incontrol believes that people will balk at paying their prices for the same sort of stream, so he wants to add extra goodies that can only be done post-cast.

iG3kv1d.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Euphemon wrote: »
    I can see the argument for it being live, but at the same time, I agree with NASL's decision. Not only are technical difficulties minimized, having the games produced into a proper show seems like a good decision. Even if it's just for the first season, I'm interested in how their format will work. Also, I think incontrol believes that people will balk at paying their prices for the same sort of stream, so he wants to add extra goodies that can only be done post-cast.

If they aren't going to broadcast it live, though, I don't see why they bother to commentate it live. Its more work than commentating later when they broadcast it, and effectively is the same thing.

Tube-san wrote:
  • EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think it's partly to get the energy, and also because replay-syncing is functionally impossible (Thanks Blizzard!).

Yeah, they could cast from a VoD and just focus on spectating during the game, but then they can't bring down the tabs and so forth as they cast.

iG3kv1d.png
    edited February 2011
    But Blizzard are giving them LAN play for this somehow!

Did everyone miss that?

• kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I have an idea for ZvP.

Mass, mass ling. Fast double ups and infestors. Lots and lots of corruptors and some super fast broodlords.

Sounds possibly quite strong against standard PvZ play.

edited February 2011
    Seguer wrote: »

Did everyone miss that?

They're not.

I thought this at first, but when they say "offline" tournament, they simply mean the players will be in a studio a-la GSL
    kedinik wrote: »

Mass, mass ling. Fast double ups and infestors. Lots and lots of corruptors and some super fast broodlords.

mass ling would crush any Protoss ground force if they're aiming for an endgame ball of stalker/colossus/voidray, less so if they mix in sentries while building that up.

Tube-san wrote:
    edited February 2011

Did everyone miss that?

They're not.

I thought this at first, but when they say "offline" tournament, they simply mean the players will be in a studio a-la GSL

Ah.

Well that sucks.

edited February 2011
    I heard about that, but I think it was meant in more of a "this is everyone coming to one place to play" tournament sense, rather than actually offline offline.

iG3kv1d.png
    edited February 2011

Sounds like Mr. Bitter's ZvT. Lings beat themselves to death on force fields though.

iG3kv1d.png
    edited February 2011
    Considering Blizzard are sponsoring this tournament as much as they appear to be, you'd think they'd whip something up for that.

• EzekielEzekiel Registered User
    edited February 2011
    New thread is early.

428475-1.png
    Spoiler:
    edited February 2011
    I really want to know who the major sponsors for the NASL are.

Tube-san wrote:
  • EzekielEzekiel Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Considering Blizzard are sponsoring this tournament as much as they appear to be, you'd think they'd whip something up for that.

Hair?

428475-1.png
    Spoiler:
    edited February 2011
    Ezekiel wrote: »

Hair?

:winky:

1-2 Moon :(:( Now he has to do Code A qualifiers again as well. Fuck :(.

Oh well, at least I got my prediction correct.

iG3kv1d.png
    edited February 2011
    The conspiracy theorist in me says that the money is Blizzard's, but they told the NASL guys not to say that as they don't want to give people the impression that Blizzard is propping up these tournaments that sponsors won't pay for.

edited February 2011
    Euphemon wrote: »

Sounds like Mr. Bitter's ZvT. Lings beat themselves to death on force fields though.

Yeah, it's similar to infestor-centric ZvT.
    Spoiler:

I'm hoping that it'll be feasible to just mass enough lings that you can trade ling deaths for energy and maintain some parity.

edited February 2011
    Street fighter voice hyping up HayprO. I'm feeling good about this!
    Spoiler:

iG3kv1d.png
    edited February 2011
    The conspiracy theorist in me says that the money is Blizzard's, but they told the NASL guys not to say that as they don't want to give people the impression that Blizzard is propping up these tournaments that sponsors won't pay for.
    Xeris's comments like these don't help dissuade me from that idea:
    Sponsors?: We're sponsored by pennies we picked up in the various ponds and fountains around the world. The money is there and ready to be given out to some amazing players!
    Who said we needed to have sponsors? Why can't I just be a millionaire who wants to run a league?

• KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm super excited for more NASL stuff, for sure

I'm even more super excited for actually being able to play Starcraft tomorrow, though.

Work schedules are the worst

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    I'm pretty sure NASL's primarily funded by a millionaire lawyer who likes SC2 and befriended Russ.

edited February 2011
    GanZi knocked DongRaeGu out of the qualifiers, fyi

edited February 2011
    GanZi knocked DongRaeGu out of the qualifiers, fyi

That's pretty scary.

Pretty sure DRG went like 12-1 against terrans when I watched his stream.

edited February 2011
    Yeah, Huk mentioned that he wanted to avoid ganzi as well. This dude is a boss.

iG3kv1d.png
    edited February 2011
    I really want to see more infestors being used in the GSL. I just don't see many of the Koreans pulling them out very much at all :(

xb6UfDM.gif
    edited February 2011
    This is Haypro's hardest map, so he actually has a chance, based on his current play. Hopefully he won't get too nervous and choke or get cheesed out on Terminus.

iG3kv1d.png
    edited February 2011
    Whaaaaaaaaat was that.

He just sacked so many lings for nothing.

• VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    haypro is playing well I just don't know how he's supposed to win

BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Hearthstone%20DoA.png
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, he's just kinda floundering.

edited February 2011
    Ganzi has been throwing too much away, the tanks just now and also his failed drops. Haypro's ahead, but Ganzi has his third now.

iG3kv1d.png
    edited February 2011
    I think Ganzi is choking here, he's not managing everything like he was eairler in the game.

EDIT: Scratch that. He's just making some bad choices.

Also, Haypro really needs a handful of infestors, argh.

xb6UfDM.gif
    edited February 2011
    Haypro throws away his army, this game is over :(

iG3kv1d.png
    edited February 2011
    Ahhhhhh, that hurt.

Such good marine spread, he pretty much didn't lose any of them.

But conversely GanZi keeps losing 3-4 full dropships for nothing.

edited February 2011
    HayPr0 seems to have better control of this match but Ganzi's micro is just devastating in every actual engagement.

Tube-san wrote:
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, this is over :(

Hopefully he'll have more luck with the next two games.

xb6UfDM.gif