As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: Dustin "Trollface" Browder (also, sign up for CSL!)

• Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    silly question, is there a micro ums for improving forcefields? Like one which spams units at your or something?

There is one that is part of the single player challenges. You have sentries and High Templar, and you have to defeat as many waves of zerg units as possible while preserving your energy. In this case though, the hallucinations you make also do damage (I think.) It's more about energy management, but good forcefields = saved energy.

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    that was the hardest challenge for me

knowing when to storm, when to merge, not wasting any energy... good FF use is really impressive and that will help you learn... although the units never pull back from the force fields which a player obviously would

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The walkthrough for it is pretty impressive...
    Whatthefuhmothership?!

The only real trick to getting gold is to know when to start hallucinating (before the banshees) and to make sure that you feedback the two banshees when they pop. After that, you can pretty easily make it up to the Zerg levels and then gold.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    silly question, is there a micro ums for improving forcefields? Like one which spams units at your or something?

There is one that is part of the single player challenges. You have sentries and High Templar, and you have to defeat as many waves of zerg units as possible while preserving your energy. In this case though, the hallucinations you make also do damage (I think.) It's more about energy management, but good forcefields = saved energy.

Yeah i have dont that one, i dont like doing it again because its on slow speed :[ i need reflect improvement

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TheBog wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »
    What are you guys using for screen/audio capture when you cast these games?

I use VHCapture.

Aw damn! I just realized the game sounds didn't go through into the cast. Hmm.. >:|

upgrade to xsplit... Get off of XP....

some other guys have solutions, but my sounds through VHSCrap is... questionable

Joe K on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I want to play this game again. So badly.

But I am terrified of laddering because the whole league thing makes me go WHAT IF I DON'T GET PROMOTED WAAAHHH

I should just man up and play.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    3clipse wrote: »

But I am terrified of laddering because the whole league thing makes me go WHAT IF I DON'T GET PROMOTED WAAAHHH

I will be your Bronze cheerleader

Like a heavy metal minime of sorts

Kami on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

last three times I've gone to ladder I've played one game. they've gone well but I can't get a rhythm going

today I stopped because my hands were fucking FREEZING

and now incontrol is on so

Variable on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I use VHCapture.

Aw damn! I just realized the game sounds didn't go through into the cast. Hmm.. >:|

Incidentally, looking at how that game played out, I'd say a well-executed 2Gate Robo beats that Zerg strat. One Immortal is all it takes. Immortal/Zealot/Stalker can handle anything that build can create, since the huge mineral investment means minimal teching for a while.

By the time you scout it it's far too late to go 2-gate robo.
    I'm glad you think this is a credible opening ^_^'

Keeping p contained is more than enough to give you a huge eco advantage even if the proxy gets sacked.

The only major weaknesses I've seen to it so far are a super well executed 4-gate counter (warp outside main and counter) or mass air. I also beat an all-in blink with it too.

anyway, it's mostly for fun.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I just play until I can't see straight when I have the chance :-) Don't look at the record, don't worry about a loss streak, just play.

Hit the button. It's a series of computer AI's that have no previous knowledge of your previous tactics, and you have no idea what theirs are.

Joe K on
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hahaha im watching sotg and tyler is explaining mlgs system with the flowchart on the screen im still confused as fuck :(

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MMMig wrote: »

I use VHCapture.

Incidentally, looking at how that game played out, I'd say a well-executed 2Gate Robo beats that Zerg strat. One Immortal is all it takes. Immortal/Zealot/Stalker can handle anything that build can create, since the huge mineral investment means minimal teching for a while.

By the time you scout it it's far too late to go 2-gate robo.
    I'm glad you think this is a credible opening ^_^'

Keeping p contained is more than enough to give you a huge eco advantage even if the proxy gets sacked.

The only major weaknesses I've seen to it so far are a super well executed 4-gate counter (warp outside main and counter) or mass air. I also beat an all-in blink with it too.

anyway, it's mostly for fun.

Well, for one thing, I'm Gold, so everything I say should be taken with a grain or two of salt. But I wouldn't call it a credible opening so much as just another form of cheese (in the sense that it relies upon an opponent making a mistake, not saying it's cheap or anything).

Consider the situation the Zerg is in. You're dumping a huge amount of resources that early in the game, the cost of a hatch and the spine crawlers (and requisite Drones and thus larva) that your economy pretty much sucks. If he had paid any attention to his natural he could have scouted it and had at least two zealots out to destroy it by the time the hatch finished, and you couldn't afford more than a couple of Lings. Good luck getting that many spine crawlers up when you've got 2-3 Zealots harassing you, and killing the hatch in the meantime.

Assuming the proxy hatch is noticed relatively quickly, it's easy to switch to 2Gate Robo from 4gate and destroy. Or he could rush DTs.

Really it reminds me of the proxy hatch I saw HDStarcraft pull on a friend of his on Lost Temple. I wouldn't bother with the whole "steal his natural" thing so much as I would focus on putting the hatch where the Toss isn't going to scout it. Another thing you might try is quick tech to Lair on one base while you build 4 Spine Crawlers, then use the Overlord creep to push.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Yeah i have dont that one, i dont like doing it again because its on slow speed :[ i need reflect improvement

This is parsed a little strangely, and I apologize if I don't understand. Are you saying that you have done this before, but wish it was faster? I haven't done this in a long time but I was under the impression you could speed this up if you wanted to. I could be wrong.

Dropping Loads on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

This is parsed a little strangely, and I apologize if I don't understand. Are you saying that you have done this before, but wish it was faster? I haven't done this in a long time but I was under the impression you could speed this up if you wanted to. I could be wrong.

I admit my sentence was nothing short of gibberish ;D, yes ive completed it and no you cant change the ingame speed, you can on some challenges but not on others, this being the latter. I remember the two worst were the "cheese hold" one where it was on like the slowest speed and the "make x units in under 20 minutes" which, given you could fail at any time, was complete shit.

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Eh, that sucks, sorry man. Hopefully someone else knows a custom map, or maybe you can lobby w/ someone and just make a ton of sentries and practice defending roach waves or something.

Dropping Loads on
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Variable wrote: »

last three times I've gone to ladder I've played one game. they've gone well but I can't get a rhythm going

just play a fucking game

and wear some of those open finger gloves

and if you lose, play another game to even it out

if you win, you could well be on your way to getting a sick awesome streak

so play another game

don't question me just do it.

PoolCue on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Stop everything, Tyler streaming

http://justin.tv/liquidtyler

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Lemming wrote: »
    Stop everything, Tyler streaming

http://justin.tv/liquidtyler

Going through all the protoss IEM replays, analyzing them, awesome stuff

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    MashimaroMashimaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wish I was good with the map editor... I would makes sims like that all day, every day :p

I'd even make them on request if I was talented like that.

Is someone here talented like that?

Can they teach me?

Mashimaro on
    463084-1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    PoolCue wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »

just play a fucking game

and wear some of those open finger gloves

and if you lose, play another game to even it out

if you win, you could well be on your way to getting a sick awesome streak

so play another game

don't question me just do it.

the big orange button. just press it.

Joe K on
  • Options
    Walrus von ZeppelinWalrus von Zeppelin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why do people always sacrifice an overseer to scout instead of just casting changeling? Just saw idra do it vs whitera in a replay and it makes no sense to me.

Walrus von Zeppelin on
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ...can't chill with Nony because my roommate is being a dick and my internet sucks. I'm about to nerdrage.

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why do people always sacrifice an overseer to scout instead of just casting changeling? Just saw idra do it vs whitera in a replay and it makes no sense to me.

changelings are easily spotted and overseers are fast

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Question for P and T players. Why no full-fledged ramp blocking against zerg anymore?

It was super common and hard to deal with a few months ago, but in the last week I have not seen it at all, whatsoever, not even once, in about 50 ladder games.

The patch made it slightly, slightly more expensive for protoss; that alone doesn't explain the difference to me.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Walrus von ZeppelinWalrus von Zeppelin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »

So changelings, something that looks like their race and is their color on the minimap (? right?) and their detector units don't shoot at, has more of a chance to be spotted than an overseer?

I am just saying it makes no sense to me to fly an overseer around their base expecting it to die when you could just move it into their base briefly and poop out a changeling.

Walrus von Zeppelin on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    Question for P and T players. Why no full-fledged ramp blocking against zerg anymore?

It was super common and hard to deal with a few months ago, but in the last week I have not seen it at all, whatsoever, not even once, in about 50 ladder games.

Its too hard to do as Protoss now that you need 3 buildings rather than 2. Its not the cost, its just hard to lay 3 buildings withoutbeing blocked even if the drone isnt patrolling.
    I don't know why terran isnt still doing it

So changelings, something that looks like their race and is their color on the minimap (? right?) and their detector units don't shoot at, has more of a chance to be spotted than an overseer?

I am just saying it makes no sense to me to fly an overseer around their base expecting it to die when you could just move it into their base briefly and poop out a changeling.

Against bad players it will work fine but a good player, especially early, will notice whats going on and notice that a unit of theirs is supposedly moving around when they have not ordered it to do so.

Its not that overseers have a better chance of surviving in the base, its that they have a better chance of seeing everything without being denied.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I appreciate your perspective but that doesn't make sense to me either Dhal, since warp allows you to get every pylon started in about half a second, yeah?

It's something that I, historically, can't stop unless I have a pre-emptive drone ready.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    are you talking about blocking the bottom of zergs ramp to kill or block their natural

cannoning it is pretty expensive and risky to counter-attacks yes?

and slow and hard to pull off with bunkers, its one reason why close positions is so stupid cos its so much quicker it makes it easier

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

I've seen cannon and bunker rushes lately but they never try to split the ramp, so it's a lot easier to deal with.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    i think 2rax is ridiculous seen so many terran busted open not just with banelings ala mvp, but consider toss go 3gate expo against zerg

there was that super flavour of the month period where all the terrans were doing it in gsl etc after roaches got range increase and it made hellion openings seem not viable but top zergs figured it out so top terrans stopped it which means noones copying it now

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    s_86s_86 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    ---

s_86 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    just occurred to me that standard naming conventions for upgrades is 1-1 ie weapons-armour

when its actually displayed opposite to that on the actual unit screen

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    kedinik wrote: »

Its too hard to do as Protoss now that you need 3 buildings rather than 2. Its not the cost, its just hard to lay 3 buildings withoutbeing blocked even if the drone isnt patrolling.
    I don't know why terran isnt still doing it

Wait, who doesn't wall off anymore? What is going on? What patch are we talking about?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hahaha im watching sotg and tyler is explaining mlgs system with the flowchart on the screen im still confused as fuck :(
    This thread explains it pretty well.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    theyre talking about ramp block against zerg to split zergs main and natural. no one is talking about wall off. if you dont wall off against zerg as protoss, you pretty much autolose to speedling run bys.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    yeah that was the flowchart jp had up at the time, it hurts my brain so whatever as long as theres good games

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Basically, if you're seeded you play in Pool Play, which is in a group format. Do well and you start in the winners' bracket of the "finals" (the Championship Bracket). Do badly and you start in the losers' bracket. If you're not seeded you play in the Open Bracket (which is double elim, like the Championship Bracket). Go deep without losing a game and you hop into Pool Play with the seeded guys, and have the same opportunities. Go deep but lose a game and you start in the losers' bracket of the "finals".

There are more complicated details about how the particular groups are decided, but fuck that.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/user/lifeinthebog
    'Ere you go, guys. MMMIg v Dumand. Trying to get the hang of casting. Comments and suggestions would be appreciated!

You have a good voice for casting.
    I notice many caster miss a lot of crucial fights or scouts, so I recommend training yourself to keep the minimap at the corner of your eye so you can always catch those, even scans.

In my defense, this was the first time I ever tried this so yeah I floated mins like it was 1999. I have better reps of this. ^_^'

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'll probably just watch the good games

Variable on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Watching new SotG.

It's cool.

But Painuser apparently thinks Terran is too weak and is basically wrong about everything ever.

DTs are NOT better than Banshees. In any universe.

3cl1ps3 on