As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starcraft 2: Dustin "Trollface" Browder (also, sign up for CSL!)

• MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The whole thing still reeks of awkwardness and sexism.

I was at a biotech conference this summer and there were 4 girls in white semi-transparent spandex suits selling fucking chemical reagents in one booth. I think that was when I started hating the whole deal. Imma stop ranting now yo.

Movitz on
  • SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Movitz you're just old.

Booth babes are awesome. :P

Seguer on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is one of two types of losses for me. In this example, I literally commit suicide. I'm the only one who lost this game for myself and it's horribly disappointing. I could really use the critique, as I seem to have no idea when the right time to attack really is.

repimg-33-193219.jpg

My first attempt at a 3-gate obs. I'm pretty happy with the build, it fits my style. I still have to work on my unit production, macro, etc. But hopefully that will come by sticking to one opening.

Just reposting, since it got BOTP'd right before GSL. Thanks guys.

-your nexus spent a lot of time idle
    -getting supply blocked at 18 is a big deal. really focus on that. supply blocking later on isnt a big problem and you can work on that later, but up to about 40 supply make sure you keep on top of those pylons.

you generally want to throw down your second pylon immediately after you queue your 16th probe and have 100 minerals.

-gateway robo gateway gateway is the best way to do 3gate robo vs Terran. the whole point of the robo is a fast observer the more you delay the observer the less the build is achieving. the only time you want the 2nd gateway first is if you know for sure the terran is planning some early aggression with marines or marauders or both, and its a relatively close distance map, ie, not scrap station.

-that said luckily for you your opponent was yet worse at supply blocking and workers, being 10 workers behind you at 7mins and getting supply blocked four times on the way there. but at least he killed your observer. i bet he feels super gosu for that :D

-when your observers die make more
    you want at least two vs T at all times, one near their base one near yours

-dont get photon cannons with no reason to.

-if you're going robo and you know he has marauders (you knew) make at least one or two immortals

-i loooooved your fast upgrades. you were super on top of those and that was awesome

-ultimately you had far superior macro on your part. not the making probes and pylons part, because that was pretty bad, but you have an understanding of macro that he lacks. you know that making workers is important, even if you forget occasionally. you know that a safe build that transitions well into an expansion is important, even if you don't execute it flawlessly. and really the end of the replay tells the story, your overall situation was much better than his and looking at the game in isolation you were playing far better.

at 13 mins just before you attacked it was 47 workers to 24 with you on 2 bases.

the attack could use some work, you forcefielded and really did nothing because the entire of his army was in front of those forcefields and able to fire. the aim of forcefielding in PvT is to push the bulk of his army away from yours while you kill some of it. it was also a really really poorly timed attack. ill elaborate on that later.

i loved the zealots in his mineral line. it shoudn't have worked as well as it did (he had 3 workers left) but its still a neat trick capitalizing on his army being out of position.

ok so that attack at his front

check the replay at the time. you, 47 workers, two bases. him, 24 workers, 1 base. HOWEVER supply counts show the real story. while you were 25 supply ahead, that was all workers and you had the same size army. In addition, the larger a bioball gets, the less you can combat it with pure gateway units. 2-3 immortals would have paid huge dividends there.

all that is assuming you still wnated to attack there, which, you shouldn't have. Think of the game as a sliding scale, with 3 scales.

Tech, Economy, and Army. Generally speaking, you can ahve a build that emphasizes two of those things to the detriment of the third. A build that emphasizes one of those things is what we call all-in, or a huge gamble. a 15 Nexus, for example, focuses SOLELY on economy at the cost of tech and army to establish a huge economic lead. A 4gate sacrifices tech and economy to get a big army lead and end the game fast.

Your build, 3gate robo, establishes a good amount of tech (Robo and upgrades), a solid economy, and a good enough army to play defensively. While you CAN sometimes win with an offensive attack with it, its not a good idea to rely on. If you'd kept your army in your base for 3-4 more minutes, your economic advantage would have paid HUGE dividends and if you did then choose to attack, you would have been on that third base, had probably 20-30 more supply of ARMY, maybe even some Colossi, and would have crushed his feeble one base army. However, you instead attacked into an even-army situation, and your production and economy wasn't yet at the point where it could rebuild an army fast enough to defend.

Your forcefields at your natural were also shocking, if those were good you could POSSIBLY have held, but forget those for now, because the far more reliable way to win games is to not attack at bad times.

hope all this helps

Dhalphir on
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Seguer wrote: »
    Movitz you're just old.

Booth babes are awesome. :P

Man, back in my days I was happy if a girl would reveal her ankles to me. You kids and your Snookies and Jersey Shores and whatnot.

Actually, there was a lot of unmotivated nudity in movies during the early 90's. What happened to that? Now you see Paris Hilton's nasty parts whenever you're dumb enough to turn on the TV. But shower scenes in movies are nowhere to be found, pretty weird.

Oh, right. Go Moonglade!

Movitz on
  • PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    moonglade?

more like mutaglade

PoolCue on
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Running guys into siege lines?

Fuck it, just make more mutas.

Anzekay on
    edited March 2011
    Just make mutas, dood?

Seguer on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Seg do you have an OP literally typed up in a tabbed window somewhere waiting to hit submit

Dhalphir on
    edited March 2011
    Hahahahahah

I'm not quite that organised :)

EDIT: *cough* However I have done that before. This went on long enough that I'm fairly certain 3clipse is asleep.. :P

Seguer on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm awake and we still have time for a new thread?! Mind if I make? :D

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited March 2011
    D:

How dare you Dover!

This thread be MINE!

Seguer on
    edited March 2011
    Oh its fucking on.

Dhalphir on
    edited March 2011
    It's not even page 98 yet guys, be paitent, jeez.

Anzekay on
    edited March 2011
    anzekay ready to play l4d yet?

Dhalphir on
    edited March 2011
    LOL!

Seriously, this is like a bad Mexican stand-off with everyone pointing threads at each other but nobody clicking "submit".

I honestly don't care who makes it, let's just not all create one at the same time, ok? Besides, Anzekay is right, let's let the post count get 2,500 at least.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited March 2011
    Seriously Dhal stop talking about L4D here, PM people :P

Seguer on
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aussie supremacy

His Corkiness on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    This is one of two types of losses for me. In this example, I literally commit suicide. I'm the only one who lost this game for myself and it's horribly disappointing. I could really use the critique, as I seem to have no idea when the right time to attack really is.

repimg-33-193219.jpg

My first attempt at a 3-gate obs. I'm pretty happy with the build, it fits my style. I still have to work on my unit production, macro, etc. But hopefully that will come by sticking to one opening.
    Just reposting, since it got BOTP'd right before GSL. Thanks guys.
    TLDR
    The reason you lost that particular game, aside from the finer points that Dhal mentioned, even though your opponent made a bunch of mistakes and poor choices is that you didn't abuse your economy advantage to tech. You get a robotics and never make an immortal from it. You scouted mass bio and didn't tech to punish it with colossus which was one building away from what you already had. Throw an immortal and colossus or two on your army and you would've shit all over him if you still wanted to attack at that point. You knew he didn't have an expo, you're already ahead. Use that advantage to make an army he can't deal with if you're hell bent on attacking. Or at least containing.

JAEF on
    edited March 2011
    If someone posts a new thread before 2500, I'll be furious.

Don't do it bitches, don't do it.

Anzekay on
    edited March 2011
    Seriously Dhal stop talking about L4D here, PM people :P

you're not my real dad.

Dhalphir on
    edited March 2011
    Ahahahaha

Also goddamnit, I need to shower and go to bed because ffffff work

I'm stepping down from the mexican stand off, Anzekay is pinch hitting for me.

Aussie supremacy!

Seguer on
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I just realized a lot of ya'll are aussies so now I read the posts with an accent and it makes me giggle.
    kekeke

also, someone should post a "new" thread and rickroll this ma'

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Moonglade rocking out billion mutas! Oh the horror.

fadingathedges on
    edited March 2011
    MMMig wrote: »
    So I just realized a lot of ya'll are aussies so now I read the posts with an accent and it makes me giggle.
    kekeke

All I read here was "tossgirl tossgirl tossgirl tossgirl tossgirl tossgirl tossgirl kekeke"

Seguer on
    edited March 2011
    kekeke

All I read here was "tossgirl tossgirl tossgirl tossgirl tossgirl tossgirl tossgirl kekeke"

idgi

Anzekay on
  • PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, hello there booth babes

Have we met?

Though, seriously, WTB. German SC2 themed roadtrip inc!

Praetor on
    3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Seguer, that brought me tears of joy.

ed: among other things ;)

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • YannYann Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Moon vs Sjow now. I'm cheering for Sjow but man. Gonna be though.

Yann on
    edited March 2011
    Seguer, that brought me tears of joy.

ed: among other things ;)

<3 I know where things stand, Mig :P

EDIT: Also I'm totally back from my shower and stuff, literally I can just fall into bed at this point.

Wtf is this CS on the stream? D:

Seguer on
    edited March 2011
    I do really want to see Moonglade get the #1 here, so I kinda hope sjow wins so that he has more of a chance to do that with his game vs moon.

Anzekay on
    edited March 2011
    Well moon vs moonglade would just be annoying.

Seguer on
    edited March 2011
    4gating gives me a filthy feeling. Like I'm covered in cheese.

JAEF on
    edited March 2011
    next time 5 gate and send probes

show those terrans how it's done

Seguer on
    edited March 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    4gating gives me a filthy feeling. Like I'm covered in cheese.

I hate that, you can never get rid of the smell without a serious scrubbing.

Also. Probemons.

Anzekay on
    edited March 2011
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Also. Probemons.
    Gotta warp 'em all.

JAEF on
    edited March 2011
    Also. Probemons.
    Gotta warp 'em all.

Gotta probe 'em all.

Probemons!

Also, I see you thread posters eyeing the post count here. But pre-emptive posting is not allowed!

2500 or bust, buckos.

Anzekay on
    edited March 2011
    Also. Probemons.
    Gotta warp 'em all.

Gotta probe 'em all.

Probemons!

Also, I see you thread posters eyeing the post count here. But pre-emptive posting is not allowed!

2500 or bust, buckos.

Posting something like that on the Internet is like asking someone to do it. :wink: I promise I won't post a new thread until after 2,500.

Also, Seg, Dhal, 3clipse, check your PM's.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited March 2011
    If you do it on page 100, people still post (because they can't READ ugh) and you might end up going to the dreaded 101

Seguer on
    edited March 2011
    i do not have a pm.

Dhalphir on
    edited March 2011
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Also. Probemons.
    Gotta warp 'em all.

Gotta probe 'em all.

Probemons!

2500 or bust, buckos.

Posting something like that on the Internet is like asking someone to do it. :wink: I promise I won't post a new thread until after 2,500.

Also, Seg, Dhal, 3clipse, check your PM's.

I know! But this way I'm calling them out now AND later.

And posting the 2500th post as "new thread here" isn't kosher either, then it's BOTP and people don't notice!

Anzekay on