Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Mos Eisley [CHAT]ina

11819212324

Posts

  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spoiler:

    Look! Moar batman... in a batman standalone... just like in the other batmans... whoda thunk.

    And @ Toji Suzuhara, you can't get much more specific of a genre than Western Superhero comics, simply because the writers/artists refuse to try anything new.

    THE PROBLEM is that comic books are directly associated with superhero comics. It just so happens that I don't give a fuck about super hero comics! WOW! As I stated previously, there are billions of ways to interpret super powered fiction. Or comics in general.

    LOOK AT FLIGHT!!!

    Why do COMICS all sport the exact. same. style. (storytelling devices, art direction)

    You can tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about, just as the Graphic Violence forum did, but they have yet to provide an example of how I am wrong.

    Show me, a super powered comic (WESTERN) that breaks the format. HELL!!! Every fuckin cartoon since batman beyond has followed the same art direction as well!!!!

    (MOAR BAHMANZ!!!)

    And don't post anything by Frank Miller. He follows the exact same formula... just... y'know, dark.


    BAMAN AND PIDERMAN!!!

    PIDERMAN

    Mice scratching at the walls inside of your head.
    This is a warning that my sig was too tall.
    You could have sent me a PM or something.
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm confused you say The killing Joke is the same pattern as all the others when its not. Clearly you haven't read it or you wouldn't say that. Alan Moore (the writer) isn't exactly known for following trends of any kind.

    edit: At the start, batman was essentially a noir comic- not really a superhero.

    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Spoiler:
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Do... do you have something against Batman? I mean, I can't even talk to a person that hates Batman. They're subhuman.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I'm confused you say The killing Joke is the same pattern as all the others when its not. Clearly you haven't read it or you wouldn't say that. Alan Moore (the writer) isn't exactly known for following trends of any kind.

    Lol, you didn't give me a name... you just said batman standalones. I googled that and got batman...


    Nothing against batman... But I don't want that to be all there is. Like how it is now. You got 3 choices.

    Baman
    Piderman
    Fe Man


    .... Lol... Think about it

    edit: I googled it... it looks like another superhero comic... A comic told from the villians perspective, but still a superhero comic... like any of the others I've read. I'll tack it onto my list of hopefulls to find good comics.

    I've got a running list on amazon. I get a few every month. I think Viking is looking pretty promising.

    Mice scratching at the walls inside of your head.
    This is a warning that my sig was too tall.
    You could have sent me a PM or something.
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ninjai wrote: »
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I'm confused you say The killing Joke is the same pattern as all the others when its not. Clearly you haven't read it or you wouldn't say that. Alan Moore (the writer) isn't exactly known for following trends of any kind.

    Lol, you didn't give me a name... you just said batman standalones. I googled that and got batman...


    I said "batman standalones like The Killing Joke.

    http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Killing-Joke-Alan-Moore/dp/0930289455

    Joker and The Long Halloween are two that come up a lot when people ask for suggestions

    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Spoiler:
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Have you read 100 Bullets? No superheros, nobody in tights, people don't all look like they're on horse steroids, just a modern crime/conspiracy type story (at least, for the first 6 volumes...I kind of ran out of money and stopped picking it up, but I'm assuming it doesn't go completely off the rails after that point.)

    Also maybe this is a bad spot here to say it, but I just beat Arkham Asylum again (this time getting all the Riddler Challenges...just because Riddler progressively getting more and more pissed off at you is very satisfying), and man that's a great game...makes me kinda wish A) I had paid more than $7.50 for it, because I like supporting good games and B) wonder who the hell Rocksteady Studios are and where the hell did they come from and how the hell they got such a huge license. I've never heard of these people before, so it's amazing to see a relatively new company come out of nowhere and put out such a solid title.

  • Mes3Mes3 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Recommend affordable drawing tables.

    Go!

    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also, if you want some crazy Sci-fi post apocolypic really soul shattering stuff, check out Eden: its an endless world.

    God that series is so amazing.

    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Spoiler:
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I'm confused you say The killing Joke is the same pattern as all the others when its not. Clearly you haven't read it or you wouldn't say that. Alan Moore (the writer) isn't exactly known for following trends of any kind.

    edit: At the start, batman was essentially a noir comic- not really a superhero.

    I think the point that Ninjai has been trying to make is that he doesn't want to read either a superhero or costumed hero story, but he wants an action story with mainstream appeal.

    Every example provided so far has been an off-branch of the superhero genre, one way or another. You can have the best writers on staff and the finest artists working on the pages to produce a quality product. And it will be good! But it's still a superhero story one way or another.


    He is simply burned out on it. He wants something new, a fresh concept.


    You guys aren't really answering his question. What is out there in the West that is a mainstream super-powered story that doesn't revolve around superheroes or costumed vigilantes?

    0WBv0.png
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    ninjai wrote: »
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I'm confused you say The killing Joke is the same pattern as all the others when its not. Clearly you haven't read it or you wouldn't say that. Alan Moore (the writer) isn't exactly known for following trends of any kind.

    Lol, you didn't give me a name... you just said batman standalones. I googled that and got batman...


    I said "batman standalones like The Killing Joke.

    http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Killing-Joke-Alan-Moore/dp/0930289455

    Joker and The Long Halloween are two that come up a lot when people ask for suggestions

    Mai bad :( I need to l2read. Sry.

    AOB, I just don't get it. Why does is the art direction so SAMEY in every comic I read. The text, it makes me feel like I'm reading Apartment 3g or some shit.


    Godfather wrote: »
    He is simply burned out on it. He wants something new, a fresh concept.


    You guys aren't really answering his question. What is out there in the West that is a mainstream super-powered story that doesn't revolve around superheroes or costumed vigilantes?


    Yes yes yes yes yes!!!

    Mice scratching at the walls inside of your head.
    This is a warning that my sig was too tall.
    You could have sent me a PM or something.
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ninjai wrote: »
    Spoiler:

    Look! Moar batman... in a batman standalone... just like in the other batmans... whoda thunk.

    And @ Toji Suzuhara, you can't get much more specific of a genre than Western Superhero comics, simply because the writers/artists refuse to try anything new.

    THE PROBLEM is that comic books are directly associated with superhero comics. It just so happens that I don't give a fuck about super hero comics! WOW! As I stated previously, there are billions of ways to interpret super powered fiction. Or comics in general.

    LOOK AT FLIGHT!!!

    Why do COMICS all sport the exact. same. style. (storytelling devices, art direction)

    You can tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about, just as the Graphic Violence forum did, but they have yet to provide an example of how I am wrong.

    Show me, a super powered comic (WESTERN) that breaks the format. HELL!!! Every fuckin cartoon since batman beyond has followed the same art direction as well!!!!

    (MOAR BAHMANZ!!!)

    And don't post anything by Frank Miller. He follows the exact same formula... just... y'know, dark.

    See, this is the problem. You're complaining that there is always more Batman. More Batman! Oh no! How dare they keep making Batman. The fans want to read the continued stories of Batman (even though there are countless interpretations of Batman that are sometimes similar in name only, varying wildly from amazing to worse than you thought possible), so DC gives them Batman. It's fine if you want characters with single, discrete timelines with absolute endings. There are Batman stories like that for you not to read because you don't like that there are other, ongoing Batman stories. If you're going to ignore the fact that Adam West-esque Batman is different than gritty Frank Miller Batman, is different than Grant Morrison Dick Grayson Batman, is different than Giffen/DeMatteis JLI Batman, that's your own willful ignorance. You don't have to like them, but pretending they're all identical just because you don't like them doesn't serve any purpose.

    I kept my previous argument isolated to straight superhero comics because that's what you guys were complaining about.

    But seriously? "the exact. same. style. (storytelling devices, art direction)"? It's just wrong. Like, you haven't seen enough comics and you're just assuming levels of wrong here. All of the comics I listed previously are wildly different. If you read them, you'd see that. I can't point at the differences in the comics to show you where you're wrong if you're not going to accept that as evidence.

    A single example of something that breaks some vague "format" you're talking about? How about We3?

    Are you just looking for an American-produced Naruto/shonen clone or something?

    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A single example of something that breaks some vague "format" you're talking about? How about We3?

    Are you just looking for an American-produced Naruto/shonen clone or something?



    Dude in a costume. Evil dude in a costume. Damsel in distress.... CHECK.


    THIS is what I like!

    Or any of Krahuliks actiony one shots... they're all fantastic. A little hard to follow some, but damn amazing.

    And to answer your question, no, I don't want an american Naruto. I wan an american comic that isn't shit.

    The list seems to be very short.

    edit:

    Yes samurai jack is not a comic, but the art style. unique, you dont see that in western illustration much. if ever.

    Mice scratching at the walls inside of your head.
    This is a warning that my sig was too tall.
    You could have sent me a PM or something.
  • AimAim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd take a look at hellboy, invincible, top ten, powers.

  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    ninjai wrote: »

    AOB, I just don't get it. Why does is the art direction so SAMEY in every comic I read. The text, it makes me feel like I'm reading Apartment 3g or some shit.

    Probably because of one of the following:

    A) You didn't hit the "Click to Look Inside!" link on that page to see what the art actually looks like.
    B) You are legally blind.
    C) You are being willfully stupid to get up people's noses.

  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ninjai wrote: »

    AOB, I just don't get it. Why does is the art direction so SAMEY in every comic I read. The text, it makes me feel like I'm reading Apartment 3g or some shit.

    Probably because of one of the following:

    A) You didn't hit the "Click to Look Inside!" link on that page to see what the art actually looks like.
    B) You are legally blind.
    C) You are being willfully stupid to get up people's noses.

    I did click look inside...

    D) None of the above. I know I posted this before, but THIS is what I mean by variety. None of the comics suggested so far deviate from the rigid realistic approach. All the stuff recommended is VERY reminsicent of archie, apt 3g, jughead and all the gay shit I never read because its fucking stupid.

    Why can't anything be UNIQUE anymore
    Aim wrote: »
    I'd take a look at hellboy, invincible, top ten, powers.

    already covered those. Not a fan. Yes I've read Hellboy, Invinceible, Top Ten.

    Mice scratching at the walls inside of your head.
    This is a warning that my sig was too tall.
    You could have sent me a PM or something.
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Are you just looking for an American-produced Naruto/shonen clone or something?

    I wouldn't say he's looking for that, but if that's what interests him than maybe a mainstream western comic with "avatar" growth (not talking about the movie here), where the character gets visibly stronger over time.

    Batman, Supes and the rest of the crew already have their abilities right out of the gate, or an established norm. They can (and have) gained a buttload of other superpowers, but more or less go back to how they were before the change. 60+ years of continuity will do that to ya.

    If he was looking for something standalone overseas, here's a great straightforward series that follows those requirements without falling into shounen trope.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorohedoro


    EDIT:
    Aim wrote: »
    I'd take a look at hellboy, invincible, top ten, powers.

    You do realize that (outside of Hellboy) those are all centered around superheroes one way or another?

    0WBv0.png
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dismissing any genre unequivocally is a pretty dumb thing to do.

    As a genre rap doesn't appeal to me, but that doesn't mean there aren't examples that I will gladly listen to.

    Superhero comics as a genre don't appeal to me either, but that doesn't mean I don't love the shit out of Watchmen.

  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We're not dismissing a genre, we're just looking for something that isn't superheroes. Stuff like Watchmen and The Long Halloween are great reads, honest!

    We all know and love these super/costumed heroes, we just want something mainstream that's not either of these two.

    0WBv0.png
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    Are you just looking for an American-produced Naruto/shonen clone or something?

    I wouldn't say he's looking for that, but if that's what interests him than maybe a mainstream western comic with "avatar" growth (not talking about the movie here), where the character gets visibly stronger over time.

    Batman, Supes and the rest of the crew already have their abilities right out of the gate, or an established norm. They can (and have) gained a buttload of other superpowers, but more or less go back to how they were before the change. 60+ years of continuity will do that to ya.

    If he was looking for something standalone overseas, here's a great straightforward series that follows those requirements without falling into shounen trope.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorohedoro

    That describes plenty of the books listed so far. He wouldn't give Animal Man a chance just because it's about "all the gay shit" he doesn't read. I suggested We3, which fits all of his criteria and he just glossed over it.

    AoB has it right.

    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Flay wrote: »
    Dismissing any genre unequivocally is a pretty dumb thing to do.

    I don't like rap as a genre, but that doesn't mean there aren't examples that I will gladly listen to.

    I'm not a fan of superhero comics as a genre either, but that doesn't mean I don't love the shit out of Watchmen.


    Rap is a pretty broad genre. Means a lot of different things. Super hero comics are more like "Ghetto House" or "Grime" subgenres of rap. You can't possibly get more defined. I don't like the SUBGENRE of comics, titled "Super Hero."

    Now, as I've said before, there are many many many ways to interepret Super Powered fiction. But "Super Hero Comics" don't vary. At all.

    Spandex. Evil spandex. Damsel in distress.....




    CHECK

    Mice scratching at the walls inside of your head.
    This is a warning that my sig was too tall.
    You could have sent me a PM or something.
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    Are you just looking for an American-produced Naruto/shonen clone or something?

    I wouldn't say he's looking for that, but if that's what interests him than maybe a mainstream western comic with "avatar" growth (not talking about the movie here), where the character gets visibly stronger over time.

    Batman, Supes and the rest of the crew already have their abilities right out of the gate, or an established norm. They can (and have) gained a buttload of other superpowers, but more or less go back to how they were before the change. 60+ years of continuity will do that to ya.

    If he was looking for something standalone overseas, here's a great straightforward series that follows those requirements without falling into shounen trope.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorohedoro

    That describes plenty of the books listed so far. He wouldn't give Animal Man a chance just because it's about "all the gay shit" he doesn't read. I suggested We3, which fits all of his criteria and he just glossed over it.

    AoB has it right.

    Thanks for giving me credit... I'm on amazong looking at your recommendations now. . . I appreciate the vote of confidence.

    I'm LOOKING for recommendations. Not ignoring them.

    edit:

    I can't look at all of them at once, I'm going through by order of reading. We 3 looks good, and animal man, how can you look at this and not think this

    I'm sick of THAT.

    There are some amazing artists here... like iruka, if she made a comic, it would fan fucking tastic. A unique artstyle in any case....

    Why aren't there comics like THAT? Why isn't THAT mainstream?


    I added We3 to my wishlist.

    Mice scratching at the walls inside of your head.
    This is a warning that my sig was too tall.
    You could have sent me a PM or something.
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    But you recommended Animal Man to him knowing that he asked for something non-superhero related. What did you expect?

    A man has a right to be picky if he wants to be. From what i've gathered he wants something that isn't the traditional comic-book realism and has nothing to do with superheroes. We3 seems to hit that mark, but it's hardly mainstream (only 3 issues) and has realistic-comic art. He's asking for bacon and you're giving him turkey-bacon.

    To be honest I don't really think there are any mainstream western comics that would fit that criteria.


    Well maybe Hellboy. Maybe Ninjai should give that a try?

    0WBv0.png
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    But you recommended Animal Man to him knowing that he asked for something non-superhero related. What did you expect?

    A man has a right to be picky if he wants to be. From what i've gathered he wants something that isn't the traditional comic-book realism and has nothing to do with superheroes. We3 seems to hit that mark, but it's hardly mainstream (only 3 issues) and has realistic-comic art.

    Again, he's asking for bacon and you're giving him turkey-bacon.

    Animal Man wasn't a recommendation.

    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you like Blame! Try Akira and Eden its an endless world.

    They aren't quite the same, but they both fit into the sci-fi action (albiet with more a philisophical slant- however they both actually make sense so YAY for that)

    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Spoiler:
  • TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ninjai wrote: »
    Flay wrote: »
    Dismissing any genre unequivocally is a pretty dumb thing to do.

    I don't like rap as a genre, but that doesn't mean there aren't examples that I will gladly listen to.

    I'm not a fan of superhero comics as a genre either, but that doesn't mean I don't love the shit out of Watchmen.


    Rap is a pretty broad genre. Means a lot of different things. Super hero comics are more like "Ghetto House" or "Grime" subgenres of rap. You can't possibly get more defined. I don't like the SUBGENRE of comics, titled "Super Hero."

    Now, as I've said before, there are many many many ways to interepret Super Powered fiction. But "Super Hero Comics" don't vary. At all.

    Spandex. Evil spandex. Damsel in distress.....




    CHECK

    oh man
    this is amazing
    teach me to oversimplify like you

  • NappuccinoNappuccino Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It is difficult, but one day you shall oversimplify too!

    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Spoiler:
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't think superhero comics can be counted as a subgenre, considering they're one of the staples of the medium, just like rap is now one of the staples of music. It would need to fall under a broader category, which it doesn't really, except perhaps fantasy or science fiction.

    A quick search turned up Spider-Man loves Mary Jane. I'm sure that this wouldn't appeal to a great deal of present company, because it was marketed towards teenage girls. The article also states "various other characters and villains are either de-emphasized or absent altogether". But it's a good example of how the medium can be adapted for various narrative styles and audiences.

    I don't think you can get a larger contrast than this:

    SMLovesMJ14.jpg

    Arkham-Asylum-27.jpg

  • TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    It is difficult, but one day you shall oversimplify too!

    it seems unattainable! oh woe! oh despair!

  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    If you like Blame! Try Akira and Eden its an endless world.

    They aren't quite the same, but they both fit into the sci-fi action (albiet with more a philisophical slant- however they both actually make sense so YAY for that)


    I <3 akira. Not western, but its fantastic. Eden is already on my wishlist. Someone in Graphic Violence recommended it. I can't wait to get that one.
    Flay wrote: »
    I don't think superhero comics can be counted as a subgenre, considering they're one of the staples of the medium, just like rap is now one of the staples of music. It would need to fall under a broader category, which it doesn't really, except perhaps fantasy or science fiction.
    This is a sad fact. Why is it a staple?

    There is so much more that comics are capable of that just the fucking caped crusader or the man of steel!

    That second image you posted. Goddam, thats awesome.

    @Tam, its easy when its already done for you.

    Mice scratching at the walls inside of your head.
    This is a warning that my sig was too tall.
    You could have sent me a PM or something.
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    It is difficult, but one day you shall oversimplify too!

    it seems unattainable! oh woe! oh despair!

    <Insert genre here> is all the same and sucks!

    Oversimplification achieved!

    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Spoiler:
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ninjai wrote: »
    That second image you posted. Goddam, thats awesome.

    It's from a book called Arkham Asylum, a batman comic. It looks pretty great actually, I might check it out myself.

    More art:
    Spoiler:

  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    It is difficult, but one day you shall oversimplify too!

    it seems unattainable! oh woe! oh despair!

    <Insert genre here> is all the same and sucks!

    Oversimplification achieved!

    You're funny.

    http://www.amazon.com/Ohikkoshi-Hiroaki-Samura/dp/1593076223/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300003152&sr=8-1


    Evereyone click on that link. That is an excellent example of a comic doing something that has nothing to do with super heroes, super powers, or goddamn anything. Its an amazing story, and is amazingly crafted.

    So how. In gods name. Is super hero. 90% of the western comic book industry?

    Fug
    Tam
    Iruka
    AOB

    all these people. all unique and creative visual styles... THERE HAS TO BE MORE UNIQUE AND CREATIVE COMICS OUT THERE....


    Thats all I'm saying.


    Edit: FLay, that looks hideous... I LOVE it!!!

    Mice scratching at the walls inside of your head.
    This is a warning that my sig was too tall.
    You could have sent me a PM or something.
  • TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ninjai wrote: »
    So how. In gods name. Is super hero. 90% of the western comic book industry?

    because that's what sells
    people like familiar characters and entertainment

  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    ninjai wrote: »
    So how. In gods name. Is super hero. 90% of the western comic book industry?

    because that's what sells
    people like familiar characters and entertainment

    Interestingly enough, if you try to pitch a superhero comic to a publisher in America, they will reject you before you can even finish your pitch. I had a friend show some sentai art to an editor at Dark Horse and she flat out said "we don't want anything superhero".

    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    ninjai wrote: »
    So how. In gods name. Is super hero. 90% of the western comic book industry?

    because that's what sells
    people like familiar characters and entertainment

    Interestingly enough, if you try to pitch a superhero comic to a publisher in America, they will reject you before you even show them your art.

    well yeah I doubt there's any reason for them to take on new material when their current stuff will often sell on name alone

  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't disagree that I'd like comics to expand their repetoir a little, but that doesn't mean there aren't unique, non-superhero works out there.

    I've read both of the Maus books, for example, which together have won a Pulitzer Prize, and I just saw Blacksad on the new arrivals shelf in my library.

  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »
    ninjai wrote: »
    So how. In gods name. Is super hero. 90% of the western comic book industry?

    because that's what sells
    people like familiar characters and entertainment

    Interestingly enough, if you try to pitch a superhero comic to a publisher in America, they will reject you before you even show them your art.

    well yeah I doubt there's any reason for them to take on new material when their current stuff will often sell on name alone

    That's the case for Marvel and DC, but the countless other publishers in America won't touch it because there's no money in it unless you're already a superstar writer who has spent years building a fanbase writing for Marvel or DC.

    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ninjai: yes, the blade of the immortal guy is awesome.

    But he is only one guy out of japan where 90% of their comics are even more derivative than superheros.

    "ONE DAY I WILL BE THE BEST WITH THIS GROUP OF 5 PEOPLE I KNOW.

    oh drat i was defeated. I WILL TRAIN LOTS

    YAY I AM THE BEST

    *A New Challenger enters!*

    I WILL DEFATE YOU

    drat i lost. I WILL TRAIN LOTS

    repeat until the mangaka kills himself.

    edit: my point is there are unoriginal things everywhere and there are good things too (however, usually in a strong minority and sometimes lumped into the unoriginal stuff)

    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Spoiler:
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    This whole conversation is, I now see, karmic retribution for this post I made earlier.

    I suddenly find myself valuing my personal apathy very much.
    ...I'm a little jealous that I can't muster the same sort of, eyes-pointing-in-different-directions, pants-on-head, this-is-the-best-and-if-you-say-different-I-will-fight-you-in-the-parking-lot enthusiasm for pretty much anything, much less something as (let's face it) ultimately trivial as video games or comic books or movies or whatever...

  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was thinking the same thing. :P

This discussion has been closed.