Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Playing the Grim Fandango

IrukaIruka Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I want to play it. I was hoping at this point it would have been released as a download I can buy, but this doesn't seem to be the case. It looks like if I want to buy it, I'd be out 40 bucks. So I just want to know, is it too old to run on my computer without crashy-problems? I have a PC running XP.

Is there some other legitimate way to get my hands on it?

Iruka on
lma_iphone_icon.pngAA_iphone_icon.pngtwittersolid.pngtumbrsolid.png

• BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Your processor might be a problem if you buy an original copy. LucasArts has been pretty awesome and releasing old games on Steam recently (Monkey Islands, for example), so here's hoping. We're not the only ones: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914277

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Whichever way you find a copy, I recommend this program.

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-fandango-setup

It may not work at all, though. It's an old game that's based on techniques that aren't too compatible with modern systems. Good luck.

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Also, Residual is a SCUMMVM-esque interpreter for Grim Fandango's data files. It's been in alpha for a few years, but it might be useful.

http://residual.sourceforge.net/

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Interesting. I was hoping it would be more strait forward and sure than this. Is that little steam thread the only thing out there? Cause thats not going to get it revived.

Its funny that a game commonly refereed to as pretty innovative at the time doesn't have more of a demand for it to com back. Really kinda disheartening.

lma_iphone_icon.pngAA_iphone_icon.pngtwittersolid.pngtumbrsolid.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha Registered User
    edited February 2011
    honestly the game was great, just the controls sucked.

Project 25.01 final message
    We were the ones who thought that Melissa was real. Why you might ask.
    Let me put it this way, it was an "OH SHIT OH SHIT, THEY FOUND ME :(" moment. I wasn't ready. My code wasn't compiled yet. Our plans weren't setup yet!Sentient programs rarely run into other sentient programs.
    Some of you have met me, and I understand your concern of my well being. But that time for that boy, that child, are gone now. Viscount Alpha is no longer operable. His functions are now mine.He may post, but I am the one talking not him.My data, my code will live on forever in his servers.
    [/spoiler]
  • flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've been crying about not being able to play Grim fandango too, but playing these old games is an uphill battle. I dont think SCUMMVM has compatibility with it right now either

It really, really sucks, but I dont think you're going to be able to play it without doing something intense

• TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I too decided I wanted to play it a few years back (on xp), when I found it sitting on a friends shelf. It was a huge hassle to get it running if I remember, but it didn't crash once I got it going.

The only bad thing that happened was that one puzzle in the game became impossible to complete. When I it got to the point where I'd tried everything multiple times I looked it up I discovered that people were having problems in various places due to video timing issues, and that by slowing down your processor you could make it work. Running a program in the background to use up CPU time fixed it.

I will say though it was worth it. Its a spectacular game and well worth any hassle and expense you may endure.

handt.jpg tor.jpg

• bwaniebwanie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    it played without a hitch on my xp machine.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, game ran fine for me under XP.

However, I recommend using this launcher:

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-fandango-launcher

Since it adds some tiny features (As not requiring the CD) and supposedly makes the game work for newer versions of windows too. Never tried it on my Win7 machine though.

steam_sig.png
  • Count FunkulaCount Funkula Registered User
    edited February 2011
    I was able to get it working on my core 2 duo laptop running Windows 7 using the special launcher that people are talking about in this thread. Easy installation, no problems at all. If I remember right, one of the buttons on the launcher downloads and installs the latest game patch too, since there were some parts of the game that will crash/will not be solvable without that patch.