As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii controller purchasing

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
Beyond the included one remote and one nunchuk what should I look at picking up:

Is there a good list of the 2-4 player games out there?

Is there also a list of what game use the nunchuk?

And then I'll cross examine those lists unless one already exists (multiplayer games where each player uses a nunchuk)

I figure I'll get a classic controller pro as well - does it have to be attached to the wii remote though to work?

P.S. Nunchuks only come in black or white?

Deusfaux on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Depends. Do you have friends over a lot? If so then it'd be worth it to get 4 controllers and 4 nunchucks so you're set. The classic controller plugs into the back of the wii remote (I'd recommend getting at least two classic controllers).

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well it depends on the games.

For example, for the PS3 I only really have the great exclusive games, which are pretty much all single player and there's no reason for a 2nd controller there.

However not owning a wii yet, and knowing how many players the games support, I'd have to see a list or just something to determine how many extras is worth getting.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Games I already have or intend to get:

Donkey Kong Country Returns
    Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
    Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    MadWorld
    Metroid: Other M
    Metroid Prime Trilogy
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    No More Heroes
    No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
    Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Super Mario Galaxy 2
    Super Paper Mario
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Wii Sports
    Wii Sports Resort

Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth
    FFIV: The After Years
    FFCC:My Life as a King
    FFCC:My Life as a Darklord
    Mega Man 9
    Mega Man 10

edit: I can't even find a good resource for determing how many players a game supports. I don't think IGN lists it anywhere

edit 2: they do, but don't distinguish local from online

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think Wii Play still comes with a Wii Remote. There's also one bundled in with Fling Smash, and this one has Motion Plus already built in.

So yeah, when purchasing extra Wii Remotes, get the newer ones with Wii Motion Plus built in. Otherwise, you'll have to buy the Wii Motion Plus adapter for older Wii Remotes, like what probably came with your Wii Sports Resort.

Also, I think the Red Mario bundle that came out around Christmas had a red Nunchuk. But yeah, otherwise, they're only in black or white.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ferquin wrote: »
    There's also one bundled in with Fling Smash, and this one has Motion Plus already built in.

Good call. Only interested in the Wii Remote Pluses. Gotta be the 4 different colors too. Black will come with the system, I assume the Flingsmash one is White....

bah - it's black, and $5 extra for the game I do not care whatsoever for.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    DraguscloudDraguscloud Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Get 4wiimotes and 2 nunchucks. That should cover everything but Brawl (which people would want to use Classic or Gamecube controllers for) and Wii Sports Resort (I forget what would require more than 2 nunchucks but most of the games allow you to pass the controller.) I don't know any game that requires nunchucks that wouldn't let you use the Classic instead.

My Game Suggestions:
    Bloom Box
    Bomberman (wii ware, supports 8 players if you have Gamecube controllers)
    Dokopon Kingdom
    Trama Center (New Blood has coop, not sure about the others.

Draguscloud on
  • Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wii Remote Plus comes in black, white, that greenish-blue one, and the hot pink one.

Oh, and I'm not sure if it's still around, but there was a bundle for GoldenEye that had a golden Classic Controller Pro (the newer Classic Controller with the better grips like a Game Cube controller).

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    meh, goldeneye bundle saves you $5 at best on the CCP - and it's in Gold when I'd prefer black...

Although, I suppose I'd need 2....

Where is the classic controller pro better than a gamecube controller? Or it's basically the same thing, as alternatives to wii remote + nunchuk

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    FYI.....
    No More Heroes HD version coming soonish

And....
    Why don't you own these yet for xbox or ps3?
    Mega Man 9
    Mega Man 10

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    oh yeah the MM's were still to be researched which console was best on. 360's d-pad sucks unless i drop a bunch to get that transforming d-pad button

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    DraguscloudDraguscloud Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    meh, goldeneye bundle saves you $5 at best on the CCP - and it's in Gold when I'd prefer black...

Although, I suppose I'd need 2....

Where is the classic controller pro better than a gamecube controller? Or it's basically the same thing, as alternatives to wii remote + nunchuk

Pretty much. If you are looking at virtual console games the classic controller works better on SNES games, gamecube for N64. I know some games support 5+ players which require gamecube controllers, but I think that consists of Bomberman only.

And gamecube games do require a gamecube controller.

Draguscloud on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Get 4wiimotes and 2 nunchucks. That should cover everything but Brawl (which people would want to use Classic or Gamecube controllers for) and Wii Sports Resort (I forget what would require more than 2 nunchucks but most of the games allow you to pass the controller.) I don't know any game that requires nunchucks that wouldn't let you use the Classic instead.

Mario Party 8, Mario Strikers Charged, and Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection (and probably Gottlieb too) come to mind. Though, to be fair with the pinball games, you can pass a single controller around for each player's turn.

I have a question for you though, Deusfaux. Do you have any SNES, PS1, PS2, or N64 controllers around? Do you have/are you getting any Gamecube games that could be played better if you had a better D-pad option than what's given on a Gamecube controller? Will you be buying a decent amount of games from the Virtual Console? If the answer to any of those is yes, then OMFG you better look at these, especially since they're on sale right now!
    SNES to Wii remote adapter
    (Ignore the NES part, it's not. That's more likely for an NES clone.)
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-10y-49-en-70-3m5n.html

Classic Linker N64
    (N64/PS1&2/Wii Classic controller to Gamecube adapter)
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-g4-49-en-70-3nz6.html

Classic Linker original
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-g4-49-en-70-34yd.html

If you know you're going to be playing some games with a Classic Controller but those games don't need the analog sticks, then you pretty much only need an SNES controller because there really aren't many games that use the ZL and ZR buttons, so the SNES to Wii adapter would suit your needs. Of course, the downside is that SNES controllers are approaching 20 years old and are getting worn out, so a Classic Controller would still be a good purchase with the SNES to Wii adapter working well as a cheaper alternative for Player 2.

If you're going to be buying multiple Classic Controllers, you may want to consider making one of them an original Classic Controller. It has to do with those other adapters, the Classic Linker N64 and its original version.....

.....let me start with the Classic Linker N64. Apart from rechargable batteries for your remotes, it is the best accessory you can buy for your Wii (and by extension, Gamecube). I am not kidding. I am not even f'ing close to kidding. As you'll see in my post I've linked, I've thrown a lot of stuff at this adapter and it performs admirably to the best of its ability, but there are a couple of hiccups that should be known about it, especially since that post is over a year old.

- Unless you sit inches away from your Wii, you will need a Gamecube controller extension cable. (This is for both of Classic Linker adapters I've linked above.) This is because of how short the Classic Controller's cord length as well as how short the cord is on the adapter. Combined, they are 2/3rd's the length of a Gamecube controller cord at best. However, with the Classic Linker N64, it's not so bad if you have your Wii flat instead of standing up and you're using an N64 controller because of that controller's cord length. Either way, if you wanted to use a Classic Controller, the extension cable is a must-have.

- The Classic Linker N64 adapter works with the Hori Fighting Stick Wii, but NOT the Tatsunoko vs. Capcom stick. The adapter was available before TvC (and therefore the stick) came out, so there's no way it could be compatible. (You could always do a dualmod and padhack a PS1 controller PCB in the TvC stick though, and it would work that way.)

- Classic Controller being used through Classic Linker N64 + Playing a game that requires fast inputs = BAD! The best example I can give you is a fighting game. Say you wanted to do Zangief's Spinning Pile Driver or any other move that requires a 360 on the D-pad/Analog stick + an attack. If you had the game's input display turned on and then performed the move, you should expect to see each of the 8 directions and the attack button, but you would actually only get 4 directions (either up/down/left/right or the four diagonals) + attack, and therefore the move wouldn't come out. That only happens through the Classic Controller though. Using the N64 or PS1/2 controllers work perfectly fine for games like this.

Looking back on the list of games you are going to get for your Wii, it would seem the only real problem you'd have would be the need for a Gamecube controller extension cable (unless you already have one, in which case, you're set). But if you're not interested in using an N64 controller, then this is why I've also mentioned the original Classic Linker.

What makes the original Classic Linker different/better than the Classic Linker N64?
    - It's cheaper.
    - No problems with fast-input games.
    - Different button layout.

"BTP, what do you mean it has a different button layout?"

Think of it this way. With the Classic Linker N64, the buttons are mapped literally. CC B button = GCN B button, CC Y button = GCN Y button, and so on. However, with the original Classic Linker, the buttons are mapped physically. If you were to press Y,X,B,A on your Classic Controller, it would be registered as the Gamecube's B,Y,A,X. Here's a picture of each controller to help describe what I mean.
    Gamecube_Controller.jpg
    32157709-2-440-overview-1.gif

Start at the Classic Controller's B button and note how it has a button to its left (Y), to its right (A), and above it (X).
    Do the same for the Gamecube controller's A button, and note how it also has a button to its left (B), right (X), and above (Y).

That's how the original Classic Linker has mapped the face buttons -- It's like the designers took the player's muscle memory into consideration and wanted the location of the D-pad to be the only difference in gameplay. If you play some NES games with the Classic Controller normally with the Wii remote and you end up hating how B and A are angled as they are, then you could use this adapter and with the way it did the button mapping, you'd be using Y and B instead. The different button mapping shenanigans also occurs with the PS1&2 controllers as I just described.

This difference in button mapping is also useful if you were wanting to play Gamecube games with a Classic Controller with one of these adapters. In that case, you would definitely want an original Classic Controller because that one has analog shoulder buttons just like the Gamecube controller. The CC Pro removed them for digital buttons, and you could end up with the same problems I described before when I was trying out Gamecube games with my N64 controller last year. And then you'd want the original Classic Linker to have the matching Gamecube button layout and no fear of using fast inputs

However, based on the comments in the play-asia links, the downside to the original Classic Linker is that it does NOT work with the Classic Controller Pro, while it does work with the Classic Linker N64. I cannot confirm this either way as I do not have a CC Pro. (I am curious if the CC Pro would solve the fast input games problem though.) It also doesn't work with either the Hori Fighting Stick Wii or the Tatsunoko vs Capcom stick.

And in case you missed it the first time, if you're thinking of getting either Classic Linker adapter, YOU WILL NEED GAMECUBE CONTROLLER EXTENSION CABLES. I cannot stress this enough.

TL;DR
    If you have SNES, PS1, PS2, N64 controllers, you can use them on your Wii using adapters that are cheaper than buying Classic Controllers. They are all awesome for their own unique reasons, so if you are going to consider them, you really should read this post to make sure you get what's right for you. If any of the rest of my post is confusing, just ask me about it.

You'll probably want these too:
    List_of_Wii_games_that_use_the_Classic_Controller
    List_of_Wii_games_that_use_the_Nintendo_GameCube_controller

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    not sure how much it applies, but I do own the Hori SNES-like Gamecube controller already and have for years (bought it mostly for the GB Player)

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    With the tremendous popularity of Wii accessories, someone needs to make a new Wavebird Gamecube controller, but in the same style as the Wii Classic Controller Pro.

I can't be the only person who'd buy that, right?

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Donkey Kong Country Returns (2 player, wii remote)
    Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon (1 player)
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Online Multiplayer)
    Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (1 Player)
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (1 Player)
    MadWorld (1 Player)
    Metroid: Other M (1 player)
    Metroid Prime Trilogy (1 Player)
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii (4 Players local, wii remote turned sideways is best)
    No More Heroes (1 Player)
    No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle (1 Player)
    Sin and Punishment: Star Successor (2 Player local)
    Super Mario Galaxy (1 Player with optional minor co-op)
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 (1 Player with optional but slightly less minor co-op)
    Super Paper Mario (1 Player)
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl (4 Players local/online, uses all forms of Wii control)
    Wii Sports (1-4 players depending on events, Boxing is 2 player and uses nunchuck)
    Wii Sports Resort (1-4)

Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth (1 player)
    FFIV: The After Years (1 player)
    FFCC:My Life as a King (1 player)
    FFCC:My Life as a Darklord (1 player)
    Mega Man 9 (1 player, best available version)
    Mega Man 10 (1 player, best available version)

edit: I can't even find a good resource for determing how many players a game supports. I don't think IGN lists it anywhere

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    With the tremendous popularity of Wii accessories, someone needs to make a new Wavebird Gamecube controller, but in the same style as the Wii Classic Controller Pro.

Do you mean this? Hori's Classic Controller for Wii.

pa.145126.1.jpg

Being sold here.
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-113-49-en-70-33za.html

Also comes in black.
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-113-49-en-70-33zb.html

And in light blue.
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-113-49-en-70-33zc.html

Also available at Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hori-Nintendo-Wii-Classic-Turbo-Controller/dp/B002KN4SUI

It connects to the Wii remote just like the standard Classic Controller, so you wouldn't be able to use this on Gamecube games. I'm not sure if that's a deal breaker or not for you.

But look at that cord length!
    51O1lxrgY%2BL.jpg

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Donkey Kong Country Returns (2 player, wii remote)
    Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon (1 player)
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Online Multiplayer)
    Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (1 Player)
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (1 Player)
    MadWorld (1 Player)
    Metroid: Other M (1 player)
    Metroid Prime Trilogy (1 Player)
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii (4 Players local, wii remote turned sideways is best)
    No More Heroes (1 Player)
    No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle (1 Player)
    Sin and Punishment: Star Successor (2 Player local)
    Super Mario Galaxy (1 Player with optional minor co-op)
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 (1 Player with optional but slightly less minor co-op)
    Super Paper Mario (1 Player)
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl (4 Players local/online, uses all forms of Wii control)
    Wii Sports (1-4 players depending on events, Boxing is 2 player and uses nunchuck)
    Wii Sports Resort (1-4)

Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth (1 player)
    FFIV: The After Years (1 player)
    FFCC:My Life as a King (1 player)
    FFCC:My Life as a Darklord (1 player)
    Mega Man 9 (1 player, best available version)
    Mega Man 10 (1 player, best available version)

wow thanks so much - did you look these up or just from knowledge / experience?

if I were to sum it up - it looks like there's only really 2 top of the line games that have more than 2P multi (new SMB and SSB:B), and

out of those, only one good reason to have 4 vs 2 wii remotes.

and then also only one single use for multiplayer with nunchuks?! (Boxing in Wii sports?) this is the only game really that requires one owns 2 nunchuks?

and there are zero reasons to own more than 2 nunchuks?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I can't think of many good reasons to own more than two nunchucks outside of Goldeneye.

I've just happened to have played every single game on your list and I own almost all of them as that is a fine, fine list.

4 Remotes, 2 Nunchucks, 2 Motion Pluses, 3 Classic controllers is my current line up to go with the six or seven Wavebirds I've accumulated. Most of the best multiplayer games on the system that are more than 2 player use every single wii control options, the various anime fighting games, SSB clones, fighting game compliations (though classic or arcade stick is preferred)

There are a few 2-4 player shooting gallery games that require the Wii Remote with optional nunchuck but I don't think any of them have 4 player, 4 nunchuck requirements. The only game I can think of with 4 player splitscreen with the best control option being wii remote+nunchuck is the aforementioned Goldeneye.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    cool. yeah I have 3 platinum wavebirds as well. I think the plan will go

2nd wii remote plus white

2nd nunchuk white

3rd + 4th wii remote pluses pink and blue

as I find sales or deals and think it's worth it

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    wow, what:

"Unfortunately, it is not possible to transfer any Virtual Console or WiiWare licenses to a new console. When you purchase a Virtual Console or WiiWare game, you are technically only purchasing the license for that game on the console it is downloaded to. You do not retain the license for that game on other consoles that you may purchase."

With the threat of a console breaking on it's own, being lost in a fire or flood or other damage, or being stolen ever present -

how in the hell do they expect people to sink money into this?

I am way too spoiled by Steam... but then 360 gives you full migration options, and Sony at least allows 5 consoles to download content to.

Nintendo ties it to the system and the system only?!

I think I'm going to have to consider everything on the Wii Shop just an expensive rental.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    If your system dies and you send it to Nintendo to get fixed they transfer the games over if possible. It happened to me.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    If it's stolen they will refund you the points if you escalate the call far enough up the chain.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I want to think I've read some stories on GAF of people who owned a white Wii and bought another one when the black Wii released, and sent both of them to Nintendo to get them to transfer the games on the white Wii transferred to the black Wii.

Somehow, I don't think Nintendo would like to go through that scenario very often. Then again, they probably also thought "Well, they did buy another Wii...."

Whatever the case, Nintendo does try to help out where it can, from all the stories that have been told over the years. I wouldn't worry. Just avoid finding the option in the Wii's system menu about turning off your account so you don't accidentally hit the wrong thing. It might be in "Internet - User Agreements".

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    wii remotes ever really go on sale? I'm guessing in the off chance they do it's only like $5.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I've never seen them on sale, but truthfully I've owned 4 of them since I bought the Wii (release day) so I've never really searched around.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    question:

N64 rumble games on Virtual Console - will/will not? rumble on Wii (using gamecube controller)

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Last I checked, no.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BTP wrote: »

[snip]

It connects to the Wii remote just like the standard Classic Controller, so you wouldn't be able to use this on Gamecube games. I'm not sure if that's a deal breaker or not for you.

[snip]

That does look pretty cool, and I might actually consider it as a Classic Controller alternative.

But what I'm dreaming of is something that functions like a Wavebird Controller (i.e. no need to plug it into the Wiimote). In my experience, Gamecube controllers almost always function in situations where the classic controller can be used, and with Gamecube games themselves as a bonus.

The reason why I'd prefer the Classic Controller style is because I prefer the classic two by two button layout.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    BTP wrote: »

[snip]

[snip]

That does look pretty cool, and I might actually consider it as a Classic Controller alternative.

But what I'm dreaming of is something that functions like a Wavebird Controller (i.e. no need to plug it into the Wiimote). In my experience, Gamecube controllers almost always function in situations where the classic controller can be used, and with Gamecube games themselves as a bonus.

The reason why I'd prefer the Classic Controller style is because I prefer the classic two by two button layout.

Then the absolute closest thing I can think of would be the Thrustmaster. It connect wirelessly through the Gamecube port.
    thrustmaster-t-wireless-nw-wii-20071130034121968-000.jpg

IGN's take on it. http://gear.ign.com/articles/838/838868p1.html

Some random guy about it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VubEY0nD83I

There is also the Nyko Wing, which connects wirelessly to the Wii remote.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAY-JuABYTY

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you want "sexy parties" then you need 4 Wiimotes and We Dare by Ubisoft.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ferquin wrote: »
    There's also one bundled in with Fling Smash, and this one has Motion Plus already built in.

Good call. Only interested in the Wii Remote Pluses. Gotta be the 4 different colors too. Black will come with the system, I assume the Flingsmash one is White....

bah - it's black, and $5 extra for the game I do not care whatsoever for.

I like FlingSmash, but that's just me. That said, it might be worth seeing what the trade-in value for the game might be.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!