As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Orcs must Die!] Are you killing orcs? You should be killing orcs.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote:
    TheGerbil wrote:
    So glad I stopped by the PAX 2011 booth and got the CTS skin. Gonna be rocking that all day long.
    I ROOMED WITH YOU. THEKOOLEAGLE ROOMED WITH YOU. WHY DO YOU HAVE A CODE AND WE DON'T?! TRAITOR. :(

Hm actually I wonder if I do have a code...

edit- nope. ;_; oh well buying this game now. Tubeless.

I am still kicking myself for not asking about the code when I played at pax, bu tyeah c'mon gerbil you should have gotten 3 or 4 codes =P

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    The demo hints at great things and awesomeness.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    so apparently steam released orcs must die early, grab it while you can!

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'm still a bit saddened by in-person exclusive DLC, but meh, it's a SP game. Not like anyone would've been able to see it but me.

Decoy on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Oh dang, the download started at like 25% for me. So, apparently, content from the demo is automatically ported over to the full game when you buy it, without having to redownload.

That's cool.

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote:
    Oh dang, the download started at like 25% for me. So, apparently, content from the demo is automatically ported over to the full game when you buy it, without having to redownload.

That's cool.

I knew I'd regret deleting the demo.

• Options
    Well, the download reset to 0%.

Son of a bitch.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Well, the download jumped from 25% to finished.

I am so confused.

Had to validate to replace some files, but it works now yay

Garthor on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I'm patiently waiting for the day to end so I can go home and try out the 4th level. The demo had me sold.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    My Steam-downloaded version has yet to get past the "Preparing to Launch..." box, so I'm a little puzzled, is the game available to play today or not 'til tomorrow ?

• Options
    Fairchild wrote:
    My Steam-downloaded version has yet to get past the "Preparing to Launch..." box, so I'm a little puzzled, is the game available to play today or not 'til tomorrow ?

validate it, it should run after that, i've been playing for awhile now

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Anyone know how to get the pre-order skin working?
    I pre-ordered but cant figure out how to activate it in game.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
  • Options
    Free Giraffe Rides!!!Free Giraffe Rides!!! Registered User regular
    Hell yeah early release!

Somehow I was hoping they'd do that, even though there's no particular reason to do so. Can't wait to kill a shitload of orcs!

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Its quite a bit bigger of a game size than I thought it would be. I wish I knew it got released early so I could have started the download this morning, it'll take about 2 more hours to do 4 gigs. Sheesh.
    Oh well, it's early release, any play I get today is bonus, especially before my paper becomes more of a priority.

Edit: Actually it seems to be fairly cruising along, seems to have shaved off almost an hour in time remaining woo! I guess I just won't touch the internet until then.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Viking wrote:

There's a button to manage downloadable content in the main menu.

• Options
    Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    Good lord nightmare is kicking my ass. I never depended on magic so much until I tried that mode. I do like the beefed up magic spells though, they make you feel pretty badass.

Wind Belt = Force Push.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Tridus1x wrote:
    Good lord nightmare is kicking my ass. I never depended on magic so much until I tried that mode. I do like the beefed up magic spells though, they make you feel pretty badass.

Wind Belt = Force Push.

I've relied on that thing pretty heavily so far.

Decoy on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Decoy wrote:
    Tridus1x wrote:

Wind Belt = Force Push.

I've relied on that thing pretty heavily so far.

You can abuse the SHIT out of it until like halfway through Act 2. Just, standing off to the side and pushing waves upon waves of orcs into acid. After a while, though, giant pits of acid seem to fall out of style.

It still is absolutely amazing for saving your archers from those damn gnolls, though.

Also, one issue is that pushing guys into pits gets you jack for combo points, which is bad for your money and your score. Compare it to using, say, the lightning ring alt-fire, which basically creates a cloud of "orcs here gives x3 bonus!" for tons of points.

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I've only just gotten the wardens before I quit. So I've not really had a chance to delve into anything past that.

Decoy on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    Archers are the shit, upgraded them to make them cheaper and just spamming them with tar pits = lots of dead orcs.

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    Ugh it's been saying the time remaining is 8 minutes, for 8 minutes now.
    I want to kill some orcs. Let me!

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    Vi Monks wrote:
    Viking wrote:

There's a button to manage downloadable content in the main menu.
    Not in my copy of the game apparently, Just checked the forums and it isn't an isolated issue and the Dev's are aware of it. Guess I need to wait for a patch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    Tar mixed with upgraded spike-swing thingy is a really great mix as well, just make sure you put a paladin in the mix to keep the orcs in one place. Archers upgraded can get you through a ton of tough spots but it's so fun adding silly stuff like spring traps and push traps once in a while. Anyone know what good steam traps are good for? I can't figure out a decent trap to work with it.

• Options
    So do you get more money for killing enemies with combos?

Also the "NO REFUNDS" thing kinda sucks. I guess it's there for replay value, but you don't really know what you're getting. I bought improved barricades, because barricades are expensive and I like them, but it turns out it only reduces the cost from 800 to 700. On something you'll make like 2-4 of in an entire map. SAVINGS!!

• Options
    Handy Tip: Don't take spring traps on Chaos Chamber. They sometimes launch orcs past the moat and directly into the rift.

• Options
    Tridus1x wrote:
    Anyone know what good steam traps are good for? I can't figure out a decent trap to work with it.
    Wall Arrow traps placed higher on the wall? Steam pops 'em up into a rain of pain.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Handy Tip: Don't take spring traps on Chaos Chamber. They sometimes launch orcs past the moat and directly into the rift.

I learned this the hard way.

I am having a ton of fun with this game though. So satisfying when you have a good trap setup. The game does get quite difficult though.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Guys, I can't 5 skull the Library. I just keep getting 4 skulls and it's driving me bonkers. Rumor has it that you get more points for trap kill, so I rarely use my weapon unless I have to.

Also: upgrades wall blades do insane damage, wall spikes never stop being useful and Elven Archers are the shit.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    I like poison spike traps. But I'm so good at headshotting I mostly stick with tar pits and the occasional arrow trap and just shoot mans next to my archer bro's. I don't ever melee.

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Pikapuff, I got multiple codes. I can give you one.

All you had to do was sign up at their computer at their booth...

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote:
    Guys, I can't 5 skull the Library. I just keep getting 4 skulls and it's driving me bonkers. Rumor has it that you get more points for trap kill, so I rarely use my weapon unless I have to.

Also: upgrades wall blades do insane damage, wall spikes never stop being useful and Elven Archers are the shit.
    Trap kills do give more points than personal kills, but score is irrelevant as far as skulls go. If you're keeping all the orcs out of the rift, then the fifth skull you're missing is based on time, not points. So using your spells to clear out waves faster can only help you as far as 5-skulling maps goes. (Between-wave setup periods after the first DO count against you, so don't dally there longer than you have to either.) I have no advice specific to the Library, as so far I've barely managed to eke out three skulls myself.

And as far as upgrades go...does it even matter how much damage upgraded wall blades do? They one-shot everything except Gnoll Hunters and the various trolls anyway, halls are rarely narrow enough that big, single enemies are guaranteed to wander into them. Unless I'm missing something...I've been avoiding that upgrade for that reason.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    I might have? so it'd be in my emails? The emails I autojunk and empty every 5 days? ffffffffff

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Damn, hit quote instead of edit.

Wyvern on
  • Options
    It seems like you can almost never place Pounders, and even if you can, it's not somewhere useful. Maybe there's more super-low ceilings later on.

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    You can use that steam trap that shoots people up in combination with pounders for high ceilings, but yeah there are plenty of choke points with low ceilings in later levels.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Which is all well and good except by that point you have the swinging mace trap, which does almost the same job except way better. Two adjacent upgraded maces with tar underneath are so strong that they render pounders nearly obsolete. Three render EVERYTHING obsolete; no orc will ever clear them.

The only thing pounders have going for them is that they're instant and don't require any support or attention, so they have some merit as a last line of defense to pick off stragglers. But if there are enough low ceilings to support mace traps, there won't be any stragglers.

• Options
    Wyvern wrote:
    Lanrutcon wrote:

Trap kills do give more points than personal kills, but score is irrelevant as far as skulls go. If you're keeping all the orcs out of the rift, then the fifth skull you're missing is based on time, not points. So using your spells to clear out waves faster can only help you as far as 5-skulling maps goes. (Between-wave setup periods after the first DO count against you, so don't dally there longer than you have to either.) I have no advice specific to the Library, as so far I've barely managed to eke out three skulls myself.

And as far as upgrades go...does it even matter how much damage upgraded wall blades do? They one-shot everything except Gnoll Hunters and the various trolls anyway, halls are rarely narrow enough that big, single enemies are guaranteed to wander into them. Unless I'm missing something...I've been avoiding that upgrade for that reason.

Ah, time. That might be it. I tend to reconfigure frequently between waves. It's easy to do the library on normal with anything reaching either rift, if you're interested:
    Spent your first 3 waves getting a wall of archers in front of one rift facing the central room where all corridors meet (the idea is they act as a respawning wall plus they pour fire into the crossroads). You attack the crossroads from one side, the archers cover the other. Once you got 8 archers in a line there give em a better killing ground by placing a line of tar in the doorway leading to them (and give yourself one too). If you have paladins, place one in front of the archers. Once you've got some tar and archers then upgrade the archers using your weaver. Get some archers one your side too, then either tar the entire floor of the crossroads (did that once for kicks...it was insane) or start adding wall blades or ceiling traps. Make sure to frost the freaking ogres to let the archers kill em.

As for wall blades: their damage matters when you tar/freeze BIG enemies in front of em after doing some luring. It's also worth noting that placing guardians in odd spots will lure enemies in certain zones, there was one map where I placed a lone archer in a vulnerable position to lure enemies into 2 wall blade trap zones. I could have placed 2 walls to funnel the enemies, but an archer costs 500. 2 Barricades cost 1400.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    chaos chamer definitely has the difficulty ramped up, the last wave (i am assuming) where 2 gnoll hunters and 2 trolls came absolutely destroyed me