As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Bitch-about-school-o'clock

MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Social Entropy++
Story Time.

Let's set the scene shall we. Paper due today at 4:00 pm. The way papers work in England is that you research for weeks (or like the day before) then you write the whole thing the day before. 24 hours straight and you crank out a nice paper that hopefully only has minor grammatical errors. Or at least that is how I've done the whole year anyway as does everyone I know. It is much different than how I write papers in America. Of course I've always waited until the last minute but before coming to England I've never actually stayed up the entire night. Which I assume is every single day of grad-school.

So last night was different because it was Oscar Night. YAY! As my tradition on Oscar Night includes turning the ceremonies into a drinking game that punishes terrible picks I was disappointed that this year I would not be able to do that because I had a paper due. However, my lovely housemates wanted to keep that tradition going and experience it for themselves so we set up in my room for an extended 3 hour break that involved drinking.

Now I knew I was running risks drinking and then continuing my paper but I busted my ass to get it about 2/3 of the way done before the show started and ceremonies would end roughly around 4:30 am leaving me with about 12 hours to finish the paper. Ample time. But as things go we were all having a good time and though I didn't need to drink so much, I did anyway. So show ends and I'm pretty drunk. Not terribly drunk but I came in here and made some drunk posts and talked to friends on facebook for about an hour. I go back to write my paper at 5:30 but my vision is a little woozy so I decided I was just a tad too drunk to actually accomplish anything. No worries though I'll just sleep it off for about an hour and still have about 8 hours to finish and edit my paper. Set my alarm for 7 and zonk out.

Cut to 10:30 when I wake up and curse myself for sleeping too long. So I jolt up and crank out the rest of my essay. Which I think came out pretty good but who knows. I finished for real at about 1:30 pm but I had to do extensive footnoting and still needed to read through a couple of times for posterity's sake. So about 3:30 arrives and I'm fully finished and feeling good about my work. The process of submitting papers here is usually one electronic copy submitted through some special program and a physical copy handed in to the department building. And so long as you hand in one copy in one of the places it is ok if you get the other in later. Because there is proof you have finished and not just being a dick. I email that sucker to my housemate and go upstairs to ask her to print it off and plan to submit the electronic copy from her computer to print off the digital receipt.

Only one problem though. The instructor wants two physical copies handed to the department. The department building closes at 4:00. It is now 3:50. Campus is a fifteen minute walk. So I sprint out the door and run. Run like a motherfucker. People are staring at me like 'what is this asshole doing.' but I notice some other people with papers in hand also sprinting toward campus. We give each other some knowing nods and run faster. And because this is England it is raining.

Despite my best efforts I get to the building at 4:02 and the office is closed but there are at least 6 other people in the reception with papers. I fill out the cover page and slide it into the late box. So I'm looking at either a 0 on the paper or going through a process that requires me to take a seminar about being late or something. And to make matters worse I was two hours overdue on three books and now I have a 6 pound fine from the library. Which is basically extortion. So fuck this gay earth.

tl;dr
If the department ever tells me my paper is late. I will write a scathing email and they will never alter drapes in Atlanta again. Because you DO NOT CROSS A SUGARBAKER WOMAN.

I'm so tired you guys

sig1.jpg
Monkeyfeet on

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    that uh

that sucks :(

my physics prof just had a lecture end with "so please, don't tell anyone about this if you think they are a supervillain, we don't want anyone to look into blowing up the Earth"

unintentional on
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I guess my brain decided that I could only sleep for four hours last night, so I was sure that my first class was going to be hell this morning.

After the half hour drive here, it turns out it is actually canceled and I didn't need to wake up quite so early. So right now I'm kind of half passed out on the top floor of the library, in a comfy chair with my laptop, waiting until 2:00 when my next class is.

Weird school day for me so far.

Dys on
  • Options
    SenorTacosSenorTacos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    FUCK LEARNING.

SenorTacos on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    yeah that's what I'm talking about

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dys wrote: »
    So right now I'm kind of half passed out on the top floor of the library, in a comfy chair with my laptop, waiting until 2:00 when my next class is.

Your library has comfy chairs? Jealous...

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    hey, i used to go to school

redfenix on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have a big ass assignment due wednesday

it is tuesday

it is 5am

i just woke up

for work

pre emptive sleep deprivation

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    People are staring at me like 'what is this asshole doing.' but I notice some other people with papers in hand also sprinting toward campus. We give each other some knowing nods and run faster. And because this is England it is raining.

Thank you for this.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    books are pretty gay

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Reading week is over and my tolerance for 1st year student BS is just gone.

Listening to girls complain about their boyfriends or their friends' boyfriends is making me insane. I have some of it recorded because I got Office 2011 on the weekend and the record function is fucking awesome.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh good, I just failed a Calculus exam, but it's ok, I didn't want to get an A anyway, so making it mathematically impossible removes the tempatation!

Coinage on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just got my acceptance letter! Now I look forward to the joys of being a full-time student with a full-time job

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i just handed in my 2000 word essay on emotional intelligence and why it's terrible

my instructor, who likes pop psych like emotional intelligence, will probably freak

supremely not caring

Pony on
  • Options
    SnitSnit Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    my midterm in engineering graphics was canceled because they couldnt find a classroom to hold it, wooooo

Snit on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pony wrote: »
    i just handed in my 2000 word essay on emotional intelligence and why it's terrible

my instructor, who likes pop psych like emotional intelligence, will probably freak

supremely not caring
    Haha, I have a professor like that for my 1 credit nonsense "college success skills" class, but I don't even care enough about that shitty class to argue with her, I just want to get an A with the minimum amount of effort.

Coinage on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Coinage wrote: »

supremely not caring
    Haha, I have a professor like that for my 1 credit nonsense "college success skills" class, but I don't even care enough about that shitty class to argue with her, I just want to get an A with the minimum amount of effort.

i can't do it, man

i can't

gotta be me

Pony on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    so you put off writing a paper until the last possible day but you couldn't write the paper because you had to watch the oscars and play a drinking game and then you tried to slip it in under the wire by turning in a single copy when they specifially ask for two, and you turned it in after the posted cut-off time.

What did we learn?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    yeah I am something of a procrastinator but I always get my shit done on time, so I have very little sympathy for that story

man i think grad school has made me super-bitchy

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    yeah I am something of a procrastinator but I always get my shit done on time, so I have very little sympathy for that story

yeah p much

Pony on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had to write a research paper on The Awakening for a literary analysis class.

The only good part of that book is the last scene.

I couldn't really read it to completion and missed half of it. So I asked the teacher if I could do a paper on the 50 or so pages of historical criticism of the book from its century or so of publication that was put in the back.

"Criticism of the Criticism of The Awakening" was dryer than Mars, but I did get an A.

MKR on
  • Options
    KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    well, the professor doing the study abroad trip finally set up a meeting for us, and i gotta say im super nervous. i don't want to be the odd one out. i feel like everyone will already know everyone (except for me)

excited for the trip though!!

Kabitzy on
    W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

yeah p much

yep. think i need to go be a hermit somewhere for a while

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    off to cram for my midterm tomorrow!

yaaaay

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    just found out that my easy chem midterm that I aced had a class average of 12.4/20

lol

unintentional on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i'm just going to transition straight into minimum wage work with massive debt

fuck this school nonsense

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    just found out that my easy chem midterm that I aced had a class average of 12.4/20

lol

i get it

i see that

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So reading the University of Buffalo's website it would seem they do not require the GREs for those hoping to pursue their graduate program in Philosophy of Aesthetics.

This is amazing news.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My genius plan of spending the day/night away from an internet connection to work on my paper without distraction has been foiled by a broken jump drive. This would have been much better to discover last night instead of an hour ago.

Borommakot on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    why the fuck is everyone using library computers go home there is nothing you need to do on them and i want one in a corner so people cant see me foruming

go awaaaaay

L|ama on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh and I've only got 3 exams this semester, one of which is 2 hours long and open book (computational physics, mostly stuff I've done before but a bit harder)

lotta pre-exam marks to get, and I'm still in DO WORK YOU LAZY FUCK mode in the 2nd day of classes so signs are good

gotta keep it up

L|ama on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ended up staying home today due to half-sickness and half not having a car because my dad's car had a flat.

Didn't do anything today in class anyways apparently, since tomorrow is a stupid waste-of-time standardized test. Just have to go in tomorrow after school and do my timed writing for my examination grade in APUSH and I'll be golden.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Third year Japanese has sapped all interest I had in the language away from me like some kind of succubus. Luckily this semester is the last language class I have to take, and I am honestly just shooting for the bare-minimum passing grade and then I will be done. I'll have my EALC degree and can either try to rekindle a desire to keep practicing the language, or just never use it.

The Creative Writing degree is going well though. Next semester I'll be able to focus on that entirely which I think will help me improve a whole lot of things with my writing which is boss as fuck

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    so you put off writing a paper until the last possible day but you couldn't write the paper because you had to watch the oscars and play a drinking game and then you tried to slip it in under the wire by turning in a single copy when they specifially ask for two, and you turned it in after the posted cut-off time.

What did we learn?

No I got them both copies. And I was done on time but my problem was not reading that one wasn't an online copy like every other paper ever. So I relearned to read instructions for the 8th time in my life.

man if I actually learned a lesson every time something like this happened I would have had that thing done a month ago

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    What should I have for dinner?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    i'm just going to transition straight into minimum wage work with massive debt

fuck this school nonsense

Yeah!

My plan is to finish my JD and then get a minimum wage job with massive debt that I can't possibly pay off in my lifetime.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    my procrastination skills have evolved
    now instead of just putting a given task off until the last possible night, then doing it all in one go and handing it in the next day, I've begun to actually start work a week or two in advance, but only do a little work each session, before putting the rest of the whole off until the next day

this way, instead of being carefree and blissfully ignorant until crunch time where I knuckle down and get shit done, I spend upwards of a week or more feeling guilty, inadequate and worrying that I won't finish on time

progress

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Today I had a class in which the teacher was learning the material at the same time as trying to teach it to us.

It took us about 3 hours to complete a single spreadsheet, probably less than 120 cells filled all told, and a good number of them were calls to earlier cells anyway.

So glad I didn't sleep last night, I just sat in a corner and half-slept through all the bumbling and confusion, then woke up to catch up once everyone had worked out what came next.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I gave my class three weeks to complete a service project. Basically they had to pick a safety topic and lecture on it to the class. Simple, right?

I reminded them and reminded them... one group didn't get it done in time. I gave them a failing grade. Seriously, this is adult education. If you've had weeks to do something... something stupid simple - and you still don't do it? I have no sympathy and you will not receive leniency.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    fuck got two weeks to animate some interface example in flash fuuuuuuuuuck!

L.E.O. on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, what a day.

My asshole teacher failed my group because we didn't get our group project done on time. It was some stupid assignment about giving a presentation over a safety topic. He lectured us about being adults and how he didn't have any sympathy for us because we had like 3 weeks to do the project.

GOD DAMNIT

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
This discussion has been closed.