As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 PC Tournaments - Oh crap we are later than Zig

BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
Due to our tourney guy's packed schedule he never got around to this, so I will post the list.

*Note that all information in this thread is subject to change between now and March 11th*

This thread is for rules, registration guidelines, updates, schedules, and questions regarding PC tournaments ONLY. This thread will NOT cover BYOC activities, console freeplay, console tournament, or any other events, including handheld, tabletop, etc.

Games:
SC2 - Friday, 3pm - 10pm
LoL - Saturday, 12pm - 7pm | Sponsored by Riot Games
TF2 - Saturday, 8pm - 1am
MNC - Sunday, 11am - 5pm

Registration
Registration for ALL PC tournaments begins on Friday, March 11th at 10am, right outside of the PC-Tournament area. (room 156)
Only full teams will be signed up. It is your job to join and/or create a team, we're not your babysitter. It is recommended you linger around the PC-Tournament area at signup time, and at tournament time and your chances of joining a team will be Pretty Good.
Check-in time will begin 45 minutes prior to a tournament's starting time. Competitors are required to check-in at least 15 minutes before the tournament's start time. If you/your team doesn't check in during this time, your spot will be opened for another person/team.

General Information
All tournaments will be exclusively using tournament computers provided by Intel. You will be allowed to bring over your mice and keyboards and customize your configurations, you will not be allowed to load software of any kind.
If you sign up for a tournament, please be there. If you decide you will be unable to, check in with us and let us know so we can open up a spot for someone else.
As a general rule, it's a good idea to show up at least 20 minutes in advance of each tournament, and that will give you time to configure your settings and warm up before the tournament begins.
We should be able to sit teams next together for the most part, but in cases where we can't, Ventrilo servers will be available. Feel free to ask if you'd like one and we'll provide you with password information.
In team games, please take care in choosing a team captain. Pick someone responsible. Being tall or otherwise easily found in crowd can also help.

FRIDAY = Starcraft 2:
Starcraft 2

Game-Type: Custom
When: Friday, March 11th, 3:00pm - 10:00pm
Format: 1v1, single elimination
Team Cap: 128 players

Rules:
All competitors will be using Intel-provided tournament machines
you may bring your own peripherals; installing drivers is forbidden
Best of 3 maps
Depending on time constraints: quarterfinals, semifinals and/or final
will be Best of 5 maps
If there are any issues with bnet (lag, accounts, downtime, etc), we
will be using SC1
Map-Options:
Fastest

Maps: Random

Format:
Single Elimination Bracket
Side selected randomly by admin coinflip
Random Seeding
PAX PC-Tournament Administrators reserve the right to change this rule
set at anytime.

SATURDAY = LoL & TF2:
League of Legends 3v3
Game-Type: Practice
When: Saturday, March 12th 12:00pm - 7:00pm
Format: 3v3, single elimination
Team Cap: 64 teams (192 players)

Rules:
You may bring your own peripherals; installing drivers is forbidden
You will have 10 minutes to spec and test your machine before
beginning your match
Accounts will be provided with all runes unlocked
Accounts will be level 30

Map-Options:
Twisted Treeline
Summer
Team-Size 3
Draft Mode
Maps:
Twisted Treeline

Format:
Side selected randomly by admin coinflip
Random Seeding
set at anytime.

Team Fortress 2 6v6
Game-Type: Capture Point/King of the Hill
When: Saturday, March 12th 8:00pm - 1:00am
Format: 6 v 6, single elimination
Team Cap: 32 teams (192 players)

Rules:

you may bring your own peripherals; installing drivers is forbidden
20 minute time limit

Class restrictions:
2 Soldiers, 2 Snipers, 2 Scouts, 2 Pyros, 1
Engineer, 2 Heavy, 2 Spy, 1 Demoman, 1 Medic

Weapon Restrictions:
The Shortstop
Mad Milk
The Sandman
The Boston Basher
The Back Scratcher
The Ullapool Caber
Natascha
The Brass Beast
The Buffalo Steak Sandwich
Gloves of Running Urgently
Fists of Steel
The Wrangler
The Vita-Saw

Crits Off
Fixed Weapon Spread On

Maps:
cp_gravelpit (stopwatch), cp_badlands, koth_viaduct, cp_fastlane, cp_freight (Order TBD)

Format:
Side selected randomly by admin coin flip.
Random Seeding
set at anytime

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY = MNC
Monday Night Combat
When: Sunday, March 13th, 11am - 5pm
Team Cap: 32 teams (192 players)
6v6

Rules:
15min crossfire rounds
Class limit 1
Each round is best 2 out of 3

Format:
Side selected randomly by admin coin flip.
Random Seeding
set at anytime

Edit:
Pulling out of ghrogs previous posts

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
BigRed on

• diecastbeatdowndiecastbeatdown Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    *packs mouse pad*

gonna need this! :twisted:

diecastbeatdown on
  • Dr. DeezeeDr. Deezee Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Check in times may be subject to change depending on the size of the tournaments and the number of competitors. Our (tournament staff) aim is to reduce the amount of time people are standing around and increase the amount of time spent actually playing in the tournament.

I would mention additionally that we will be signing up players on a "standby" list in the event that a tournament becomes fully booked. If players who registered for a tournament aren't there during check-in time and there are standby players who are there, the standby players will be admitted and the player who failed to check in will be dropped.

Dr. Deezee on
  • BingarossoBingarosso Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Will there be any casting of the SC II Tournament?

Bingarosso on
    LDN-text-with-logo1.png
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bingarosso wrote: »

not live, there will be of replays though.
    Day9 and husky have some scheduled time in one of the theaters I beleive.

BigRed on
  • BingarossoBingarosso Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    From the event description it looks like they're casting replays from some Team Liquid thing they called the "Patch Liquid Showmatch" Is it unclear wording?

I love watching StarCraft, believe it or not, so it would be cool to know what sort of "Spectating" will be available.

Bingarosso on
    LDN-text-with-logo1.png
  • MarineElfMarineElf Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Hmm no Heroes of Newerth? Curses! :( I guess all the better reason to check out LoL... brilliant marketing by Riot Games.

MarineElf on
  • yockyock Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BigRed wrote: »

not live, there will be of replays though.
    Day9 and husky have some scheduled time in one of the theaters I beleive.

That made my day. I might have to break out my bronze skills for this just to have a chance to be casted.
    /wimper

yock on
  • Knuckles056Knuckles056 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well im looking forward to the LoL tournament. Anyone know if you've gotta have a full team prior to entry?

I suppose I should read the entire post before I post myself. The answer to my question is yes. Overexcited once I saw the LoL tourney.

Knuckles056 on
  • KhmerrougeKhmerrouge Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well im looking forward to the LoL tournament. Anyone know if you've gotta have a full team prior to entry?

I've got a full team for the LoL tourney, gonna be fun ;)

Khmerrouge on
  • Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Imma steal your seat this time, Red.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    From the event description it looks like they're casting replays from some Team Liquid thing they called the "Patch Liquid Showmatch" Is it unclear wording?

I love watching StarCraft, believe it or not, so it would be cool to know what sort of "Spectating" will be available.

Yeah, shit got a little fucked up this year. They're going to do the Team Liquid thing first, followed by the SC2 finals.

taumeson on
    yBfDKg5.png
  • AlexBAlexB Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Looking for a team for LoL. I've been 1900+ solo queue on my main(and over 1700 in 3s). msg me for more info + your info.

Should be fun :)

AlexB on
  • The Smartest Man?The Smartest Man? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, a TF2 tournament seems like fun. I only play in pubs, but it would be nice to participate just for the hell of it. Now I just need some fellow enthusiasts before signups.

The Smartest Man? on
    So it goes...
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Starcraft 2 with commentary makes an excellent spectator sport.

PeasantDave on
  • acetheriveracetheriver Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Once I saw LoL I got extremely excited. Anyone wanna team up with me?

acetheriver on
    edited March 2011
    As a side note for the TF2 Tourney, is it possible for the finals to be recorded and saved in a STV file?

yock on
  • AelwrynAelwryn Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I am so excited for SC. I can't wait to fail in front of people :)

Aelwryn on
  • VegaObscuraVegaObscura Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd be interested in joining a TF2 team if anyone's looking to make one. PM me if you are.

VegaObscura on
  • thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    for the TF2 tournament, if time allows (depending on how many teams sign up) is there any chance of double elimination?

Also, it just says 20 minutes under rules. You should also mention "or first team to 5 round wins" as every league does it this way.

Also, as far as unlockables go, most leagues ban the same weapons, but since that list is constantly growing with all the new updates, maybe we could just have a list of ALLOWED weapons for the tournament rather then banning a whole bunch (or all) unlocks.

----Suggested allowed weapons----

Scout: holy mackerel (just a re-skin of the normal bat)
    Bonk drink

Soldier: equalizer
    direct hit
    gunboats

Pyro: backburner
    flaregun
    axtinguisher

Demo: Chargin Targe (the shield)
    Eyelander
    pain-train

heavy: sandvich
    KGBs

engineer: frontier justice
    gunslinger (robot arm)

Medic: blutsauger
    crusaders crossbow
    kritzkrieg
    ubersaw

Sniper: huntsman
    jarate
    bushwacka

spy: ambassador
    cloak and dagger
    dead ringer

those are pretty much the basic weapons for each class that actually see tournament/competitive play. none of them are overpowered. the rest can (or even should) be banned.

If you are going to go with a banned weapons list instead, every league bans the following weapons:

Sandman, Mad Milk, Natascha, GRUs, Buffalo Steak, Fists Of Steel, Wrangler, Vitasaw

thr4sher on
  • SilcrisSilcris Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    League of Legends, looking for a team :)!

Silcris on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    thr4sher wrote: »
    tl:dr shit that was already answered in the OP

The OP tf2 rules say 99% chance of no unlockables.

BigRed on
  • zoidbergensteinzoidbergenstein Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    were looking for more people for the mnc tournament. add me on xfire at zoidberg34 or steam at jon_pic and we can talk if anyone is looking.

edit: on a related note will the mnc tournament force default classes or will we be able to use custom endorsements.

zoidbergenstein on
  • ronalopolisronalopolis Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I would love to get into the tf2 tournament. If anyone needs a good heavy or mediocre everything else send me a pm.

ronalopolis on
    My life is a chip in your pile. Ante up!

Setzer Gabbiani
  • TyshalleTyshalle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Looking for a team for the TF2 tourney. I am a fairly solid heavy and medic. PM me if interested

Tyshalle on
  • TokamakTokamak Registered User new member
    edited March 2011

Honestly, I think that is a mistake. Obviously, some unlockables are overpowered and should not be allowed in a competative setting, but some of them are just ways of balancing classes or adding more depth and strategy. Not allowing Kritzkreig, Equilizer, or Bonk makes things a lot less dynamic and limits some strategies that are very popular. The new unlockables are one of the main resons that TF2 has kept as popular as it has, and even the competative scene realizes this and includes the balanced ones as best it can.

Now, if the problem is that not everyone on the team will have all the unlockables then maybe I would understand, but if you limit it to just the balanced achievement-aquired unlockables then everyone that has been playing long enough to want to play at the PAX tournament will almost certainly have them.

Tokamak on
    edited March 2011
    Tokamak wrote: »

Honestly, I think that is a mistake. Obviously, some unlockables are overpowered and should not be allowed in a competative setting, but some of them are just ways of balancing classes or adding more depth and strategy. Not allowing Kritzkreig, Equilizer, or Bonk makes things a lot less dynamic and limits some strategies that are very popular. The new unlockables are one of the main resons that TF2 has kept as popular as it has, and even the competative scene realizes this and includes the balanced ones as best it can.

Now, if the problem is that not everyone on the team will have all the unlockables then maybe I would understand, but if you limit it to just the balanced achievement-aquired unlockables then everyone that has been playing long enough to want to play at the PAX tournament will almost certainly have them.

thats why i suggested the ALLOWED unlockables, but im perfectly fine with vanilla TF2. Id rather play vanilla then get stunned by that stupid ass sandman all day long lol.

thr4sher on
    edited March 2011
    thr4sher wrote: »
    tl:dr shit that was already answered in the OP

haha, yeah, sorry, that was tl;dr worthy indeed.

my main concern was getting the win limit of 5 in the rules like last time.

thr4sher on
    edited March 2011
    I would say, allow the Kritzkrieg. But everything else you "can" cut out without too much of a change.

yock on
    edited March 2011
    If I know anything about running tournaments at PAX (which I do), the unlockables issue is usually the sort of issue decided by a vote held with team captains during the check-in period of the first round. That is why the original rules say "TBA." If there's enough demand for it, we're not unreasonable.

As regards the five round win limit, I can't say anything definitive as I am not the tournament admin for that particular game, but odds are if that's a regular component of competitive play it will be incorporated into the ruleset. Besides, it saves us time, and that's always good.

Feel free to direct all questions/bitches/complaints/etc to me rather than to BigRed; he posted this in the absence of ghrog (the overall head tournament enforcer) but BigRed's area of expertise isn't necessarily tournaments. If I can't appropriately address your concerns, I can route them to the appropriate entities as well. (At least in theory. Ghrog is an international man of mystery and very difficult to get a hold of.)

Dr. Deezee on
    edited March 2011
    any word yet on whether we will be able to creat our custom classes for monday night combat or if we will be required to use default endorsements?

zoidbergenstein on
    edited March 2011
    I've pinged the tournament admin and will post here when I get an answer for you.

Dr. Deezee on
    edited March 2011

zoidbergenstein on
  • HostileParadoxHostileParadox Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Looking for team mates for MNC tournament. Assasin, Sniper, possibly Gunner. PM me is interested.
    Experience a plus.

HostileParadox on
  • CraZyMuffinCraZyMuffin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TF2 medic looking for a team (it's the only class I play, so I'm pretty good). PM me

CraZyMuffin on
  • taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bump for TF2 ruleset change.

taumeson on
    yBfDKg5.png
    edited March 2011
    I'm not sure if this is intentional but I am assuming no Pollycount Pack Sets right? you might want to say that in the rule set. I'm not sure if you are allowing them or not, but I thought I would check!

Also, would it be possible to record the matches using Source TV?

Thank you so much for setting this all up!

yock on
  • AltacoAltaco Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Newcomer question: If I want to participate in a tournament, do I need to make sure the entire time during which the tourney is scheduled is open for me? As in, no leeway for taking a break halfway through for a sweet panel then coming back?

Altaco on
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm a decent player LoL and moderate Tf2 player.

If someone needs a player, text me at
    (813) 751-5553

I'm terribad at MNC. Don't ask. Never played it.

JamesKeenan on
    edited March 2011
    Regarding Monday Night Combat, the tournament admin is going to be talking with the game developers to clarify what would be the best route regarding custom classes for the tournament.

Regarding your question Altaco, you need to be available for most of the time a tournament is running. You can try to squeeze in a "sweet panel" during a time which you aren't playing because the rest of the bracket is playing (if you are in such a spot) but there are no guarantees and we generally do not wait for a player to show up beyond a five minute breathing room. We're not going to delay an entire tournament for one person. ;)

Dr. Deezee on
  • Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Looking for group for League of Legends tourny, I have myself and 1 other, in-game name is Exodus if you want to look up my profile, contact me here or via email seanm64 at gmail dot com.

Exodus1 on
This discussion has been closed.