As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gran Turismo 5]: The Real Cash Cow Simulator (Spec v2.0 and DLC out)

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Saving during championship!?

Yessssss

Icemopper on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No mid-endurance race saving?

Boo.

Given everything else, however, I'll give the update an 8.5 out of 10.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yeah, online dealership also has some awesome cars up with 0 miles and are HALF PRICE for now... not to mention you can now win car tickets in the online races provided you finish first with their car and HP/Weight they need you to be at.

Oh, and no more demolishing the front right corner of your car everytime you enter the pits at de la Sarthe as they fixed the entrance speed there

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dang, I thought I could put this game to bed (at least for a while). But with the info that was just posted, I think I may pop this game back in and get a few races in. Almost got the X2010 for myself...

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just picked this up finally - anyone still play?

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Just picked this up finally - anyone still play?

I still play, though rarely against other people online. If you're interested in me farming points with the B-Spec auto-racer, I can send you a friend invite.

The Listener on
  • Options
    DissolutionDissolution Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    THIS FRIDAY (6/24) 7PM EST

TOURING CARS!

British, German, Japanese - doesn't matter. 580PP Limit - Lot of these cars are 586PP, using the engine power limiter you're able to drop the PP of the car you've chosen.

20 Laps; Circuit de le Sarthe 2009 Time/Weather change.
    10 Laps Nurburgring Nordsleife Time/Weather change.
    Damage: Heavy
    Tire wear/Gas consumption: on
    All driving aids disabled, including Traction Control and Driving Line (ABS left on)
    No tire restrictions; bring your rain tires!

Assuming enough people express interest in this, I'm certain it could end up being a lot of fun. 12 slots total, post up on here or add me/message me on PSN - Kog667.

Dissolution on
    Houk wrote: »
    Finally! A game that understands my desire for the inclusion of a jar of semen!
    PSN - Kog667 : DiRT 3 and Gran Turismo 5
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    BUMP! Tried to bump yesterday and the forums were taken down as I clicked submit; so yeah.

If there are enough (any) people interested in this race I plan to host more with varying vehicle type and PP limits.

Dissolution on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hey, random question: I had a Ferrari on this game I really liked, an older Ferrari, but I don't remember what it was called. It looked simpler than the fancy new ferraris, it was from the 70s or 80s. Does anyone know what it might have been? I can't play the game at the moment to check. Also if you could link to a google image so I can check, that'd be extra handy thanks

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The only Ferraris from that time period that are in GT5 would either be the '76 512BB

ferrari512bb.jpg

or the '67 330 P4

ferrari330p41.jpg

When you say "simpler", the first thing that pops into mind is the 512BB.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ah yeah, it's the 512BB. Thanks a lot, it's been bugging me for ages.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    New seasonal events up today. Super GT japanese touring cars. However, its WAY more time effective to grind cash in the 1lap Circuit de la Sarthe Ferrari event. 3 minute lap vs a 10 minute race for 23,000 more credits. Not really worth it.

Dissolution on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So I did another drift project...a very fun, very easy drift...I destroyed my old drift records with it...my love for the Datsun 280z stems from my desire to own one IRL. Which I MIGHT be getting sooner rather than later.

Let me know if anyone wants a fun fun fun drift tune.

27177623328871669127610.jpg

Dissolution on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Oh cool, sure I'd love to see your Datsun build since I also love the car (mostly because the car was use for the Transformer Bluestreak toy).

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Datsun 280z
    ALL available upgrades, including weight reduction, suspension, etc
    Comfort: SOFT tires
    Oil change
    Engine rebuild
    Chassis Rigidity

Transmission: 162MPH

LSD:
    IT: 25
    AS: 45
    BS: 20

SUSPENSION:
    Ride Height: -10/-8
    Spring Rate: 4.4/4.0
    Extension: 6/6
    Compression: 4/4
    Anti-Roll: 6/6

Camber: 1.5/1.0
    Toe: -0.10/0.20

Brakes: 5/5

I primarily use third gear for almost everything except tight hairpins, I'll drop to second. Much MUCH longer corners, fourth. With this build I was able to hold a single drift around the full Suzuka track for 2/3 of the way around before getting a little too overzealous on a tight section of track. Lost a 15k-ish single drift. Anger. So much anger.

Dissolution on
  • Options
    Bump, because needs more fun and interesting tunes.

Also, I just got my very own Datsun 280zx IRL. :D

• Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    So, I bought a used copy of GT5, so I can play it again and experience it with my Driving Force GT that I got over a week ago. The game feels entirely different on a racing wheel, much more realistic and fun to play. Some of my favorite cars, i'm going to have to go into the tuning setups and tweak them now in order to get them to be drivable. When using the controller, the game lays on so many hidden driving aids that tuning cars is pointless, they all drive the same more or less.

The first car I took out was the Mazda 787B onto Le Mans, and the thing was completely undrivable. 10 laps, and only one of them recorded and it was an awful lap time of like 4 minutes and 25 seconds. I can do way better then that with the controller, but again i'm getting a near arcade experience with the controller. With the wheel I felt like I was getting a very accurate representation of driving this monster on a very difficult to handle course. The amount of bouncing around you do in your cockpit in a race car on Sarthe in real life, is intense (not that I would ever know in my life time, but that's what a lot of real life racing drivers have said), and a racing wheel captures that near perfectly in the game.

• Options
    Drifting on a wheel is hard as fuck. I did the 300km endurance race on a Driving Force GT, the next morning it felt like I got thrown down a flight of stairs. Fighting with that force feedback for any amount of time is killer.

• Options
    Since the forums now seem to be stable again (knock on wood), I think it's about time I stopped procrastinating about setting up this go kart race that was mentioned AGES ago. So, without further ado, it's time to find out how much interest there is in a 3 lap race on the Nordschleife with the PDI RACING KART 100; plan is to run it at some-time-yet-to-be-worked-out on Saturday 30th July. I'm thinking of opening the lounge/lobby/whatever at 8pm BST for getting in practice laps and making sure connections are stable, with a view to starting the race proper at 9pm (that's 10pm for most of mainland Europe, 4pm Eastern, 3pm Central, 1pm Pacific, and probably some ungodly hour on Sunday morning for Australia, I think), but I'm not setting the time in stone until next Saturday, in case things need to be changed around a bit.

On an unrelated note, I'm starting to get some spare racing gear now, so if anyone wants the following, let me know:

Helmets:
    Granito-4
    2x Horizon-3
    Small Jaw-19
    Striker-14

Suits:
    Blaze-1
    2x Intersection-23

• Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    Since the forums now seem to be stable again (knock on wood), I think it's about time I stopped procrastinating about setting up this go kart race that was mentioned AGES ago. So, without further ado, it's time to find out how much interest there is in a 3 lap race on the Nordschleife with the PDI RACING KART 100; plan is to run it at some-time-yet-to-be-worked-out on Saturday 30th July. I'm thinking of opening the lounge/lobby/whatever at 8pm BST for getting in practice laps and making sure connections are stable, with a view to starting the race proper at 9pm (that's 10pm for most of mainland Europe, 4pm Eastern, 3pm Central, 1pm Pacific, and probably some ungodly hour on Sunday morning for Australia, I think), but I'm not setting the time in stone until next Saturday, in case things need to be changed around a bit.

On an unrelated note, I'm starting to get some spare racing gear now, so if anyone wants the following, let me know:

Helmets:
    Granito-4
    2x Horizon-3
    Small Jaw-19
    Striker-14

Suits:
    Blaze-1
    2x Intersection-23

Sounds fun to me! I'll have to figure out what color I should paint up my cart. I haven't used it in ages, so I'll have to get in some practice first.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    6am AEST. Sounds alright to me.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm cleaning out my library. It's time to dust off my Logitech Wheel and sell it. I worship Amazon but they're only dishing out 41$. Should I weather the storm that is Ebay?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    I'm cleaning out my library. It's time to dust off my Logitech Wheel and sell it. I worship Amazon but they're only dishing out 41$. Should I weather the storm that is Ebay?

Yes, you will get a lot more money for it on Ebay. To bad you weren't selling it a few weeks ago, I would have bought it from you. I got a brand new DFGT for $100.

• Options
    I still don't have a DFGT. :(

• Options
    In for kart race around the 'ring!

• Options
    Glad to see there's still some interest in Super Nordschleife Kart; hopefully, Anonymous putting it in the thread title might bring back some of those who were in the previous thread, like Smokestacks. If not, I'll probably end up sending a message on PSN to those who 1) are already on my friend list, and 2) haven't posted in here. Hopefully we can get 10 or more karts buzzing around the Green Hell Zone. :-D

• Options
    A HorseA Horse Registered User regular
    Question for DFGT owners:

I'd like to get one, but that's a noisy wheel. I can't regularly subject the people living around me to that much noise. Is the wheel a lot quieter with the force feedback turned off or low? If so, does the wheel still return to the neutral position when released after turning?

• Options
    Okay, looks like so far it's just me, Anon, Dissolution and The Listener karting it up on the 30th. Gonna send a few messages on PSN to those I've got on my friend list who haven't said anything on here yet, basically saying "LOOK! KARTS! NORDSCHLEIFE! RACE!"

Failing that, I may end up having to bring in a few friends who aren't on the forums, just to make it a decent-sized grid.

• Options
    Looking at the time I'm not too sure if I can race, but if I'm at home and doing nothing at that time I'll see if I can jump on. Would be fun to race with other PA'ers.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    So stoked for this. Granted, I haven't played GT5 in a while, but whatever.

• Options
    Neither have I, actually.

It's okay, though. In fact, I thought I'd let BlitzAce know he should check his high scores in Wipeout Pure. :P

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    A Horse wrote:

I'd like to get one, but that's a noisy wheel. I can't regularly subject the people living around me to that much noise. Is the wheel a lot quieter with the force feedback turned off or low? If so, does the wheel still return to the neutral position when released after turning?

No. The steering wheel is loud on, and off. Turning it has a "rev" to it.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    A HorseA Horse Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    A Horse wrote:

No. The steering wheel is loud on, and off. Turning it has a "rev" to it.

Thanks, good to know. I'll get the G27 instead.

• Options
    I was going to cancel the race, since there's only four of us. However, it's been so fucking long since we've had any online races in this or the earlier thread, that I say "Fuck it. Let's do this."

Even if we have to grab whoever the hell is online on our friend lists to add to the numbers.

Even if we can't find anyone at all.

The only thing that is going to stop me running this damn thing is if my internet connection spontaneously combusts out of spite.

• Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    I was going to cancel the race, since there's only four of us. However, it's been so fucking long since we've had any online races in this or the earlier thread, that I say "Fuck it. Let's do this."

Even if we have to grab whoever the hell is online on our friend lists to add to the numbers.

Even if we can't find anyone at all.

The only thing that is going to stop me running this damn thing is if my internet connection spontaneously combusts out of spite.

I wish to *try* and make it, but I do believe it's date is a pen and paper gaming date and time for me. If I have my dates mixed up, I'll be there.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I'd love to be there, but I'm out of town that night. Sounds awesome though, and I expect a lot of screenshots!

• Options
    HarakhtiHarakhti Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I recently started playing this again. I've been mainly trying to boost my BSpec numbers but it was rough going. I ended up shitcanning my hothead drivers and starting fresh with
    more centrist drivers. My PSN id is Harakhti if anyone wanted to play. Lately I've been playing around midnight but I can pretty much meet up at any time. Depending upon circumstance of course.

Has anyone messed around with remote races at all? You just host a game pick your drivers, your competition from your friends driver pools and just.. let it run?

edit: GMT-7

Harakhti on
  • Options
    Some new Seasonal Events are up, for anyone that still cares. World Compact Cars, with a 450PP limit and less than 4200mm in length. Did the first race with a Honda Civic, and then decided to see exactly what I could get away with for the other races. Turns out the following cars qualify (and can win):

Mitsubishi PAJERO Rally Raid Car '85
    Volkswagen Schwimmwagen typ166 '42
    Daihatsu Midget II D type '98 (obviously within the length limit, not so obviously capable of winning)
    Scion xB '03

In Super Nordschleife Kart-related news, I've just sent a friend request to Dissolution so that everything's ready for Saturday (if you add someone while in-game, they won't show up on your list until you restart); I just need The Listener's PSN ID, or for him to send me a friend request.

@Harakhti, yeah, you just go to Community > Remote Race while on My Home, pick the track, choose one of your shared drivers, then pick up to 15 of your friends' drivers and let them battle it out. Some of the races have somewhat unbalanced car selections though; the race that has the Audi R8 as the main car will 99% of the time feature an Aston Martin V8 Vantage in last by a looooong distance, and 95% of the time a VW Nardo Concept will be at the front. You could also use Server Standby mode and set everything up via the GT website on a PC, but that doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    How is the Scion xB as a racer for it? Think I bought the car a while ago as a joke car to have (since my wife hated the look of them). Always thought they looked cool so wanted one in my game.

I might not be there for the race. If I manage to be able to get out of cleaning the house for a few hours, how do I join (if you are not racing already)?

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I'd still grind the Ferrari race with one lap around Circuit de la Sarthe for 504,000c.