As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Comic Book Questions Thread International. Of America.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    X-Men/X-Men Legacy, it's the same book. The numbering stayed the same. Whatever Marvel wants to call it. That title has been the most consistent throughout the years, IMO. Gischler's book just used the comic version of identity theft to get initial sales bumps.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Two quick questions;

Wasn't there supposed to be a new Thor after FI? Did I just completely miss him, or is he still around or what?

Also,

What's up with the Hulk nowadays? I thought Silvestri was coming in after Pak, and the previews showed a Hulk living with Moloids and kinda being at peace, but now I see a preview for Inc. Hulk 8 with Jason Aaron and Steve Dillon.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Wasn't there supposed to be a new Thor after FI? Did I just completely miss him, or is he still around or what?
    There was a substitute thunder god for a while, but that's over now.
    He was an an impostor dark elf (I think) who was used to convince the world that he was the thunder god everyone knew, and not Thor.

Then Thor returned, because comics. I assume it's in Mighty Thor. I just gleaned this much from JIM.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    There was a substitute thunder god for a while, but that's over now.
    He was an an impostor dark elf (I think) who was used to convince the world that he was the thunder god everyone knew, and not Thor.

Then Thor returned, because comics. I assume it's in Mighty Thor. I just gleaned this much from JIM.

The substitute thunder god was
    Ulik, a troll, one of Thor's long-time villains, disguised (with magic) as Tanarus, a thunder god. Reality was overwritten in such a way that everyone but Loki didn't remember a Thor, and thought that there had only ever been Tanarus. Thor himself, after his death, appeared on a space-barge that was slowly drifting towards the Demogorge's open mouth. He broke out, came back to Earth, reminded everyone what's up, and now Thor is Thor again.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    What's the deal with Avenging Spider-Man?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It is a fun team-up book that, after the initial arc, has focused on done-in-ones.

The premise is simply Spidey teams up with another Marvel hero or two

it is basically Marvel Team-Up by a different name

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    That sounds exactly like something I would like.

• Options
    It is awesome.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Avenging Spider-man has one of my new favorite comics ever, I drooled over it a few months back in this Motw Thread

Complete with some scans and explanations!

It's been just as Blank!!! said, Really fun done-in-one team ups, and mini-arcs.

( I swear this post always said Blank, pay no attention to the upper right corner this post was never editted ever )

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Avenging Spider-Man is really good

Solar on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Last night, I remembered this snippet of a comic book I read years and years ago, but I don't know where it comes from.

The bit I recall centered on a game show. Maybe it was rigged? But, they put the contestant (possibly a young girl?) in the booth, and are asking her the questions; when she gets one wrong, her head explodes. Also, there was a kid (young, possibly rich) surrounded by a harem.

Maybe there was an alien who had amnesia.

So, that's been bothering me. Does anyone know what I might be thinking of?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Yes, that exists. I can't remember the comic, but it exists.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    A couple of questions:

1. I don't usually read DC comics (outside of the occasional Batman), but I have always been vaguely interested in the Green Lantern. Geoff Johns bringing back Hal Jordan seems like a perfect place to start. I usually buy the first two trade paperbacks on any new series to give it a chance. If I do that here should I start with Rebirth or Green Lantern vol.1. I know the general gist of the Hal Jordan--->Green Lantern--->Coast City--->Parralax---->Spectre--->Parralax retcon--->Green Lantern journey.

2. Any good in print trades that have good stories involving Lex Luthor. (the only Superman stories I have are Superman Red Son and the first volume of All-Star Superman).

• Options
    1. GL Rebirth and GL Volume 1: No Fear are the places to start. GL Corps: Recharge would be the next one after that.

2. Superman: Birthright is heavy on Luthor, there is also Lex Luthor: Man of Steel which is told from Lex' POV about how he's the hero and Clark is the Villain. Superman: President Lex is also a good Luthor centric story, but it's out of print so your LCS might not have it.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I'll 2nd Luthor: Man of Steel and any of the President Luthor stuff.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    You'd also do well with finishing All-Star Superman. It's a great finale in its own right, and Luthor can be found throughout the final issues.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Batwoman question since I haven't read the New 52 issues past #1.

Something that's annoyed me since the beginning is Batwoman's kind of rude, free-floating breasts, especially compared to how she rolls as Kate. It just doesn't seem to make sense as a character already, and especially after the whole issue where Kate and her father went to great lengths to develop the Batwoman operation and uniform as high speed, low drag from top to bottom.

Has it ever been addressed as the Batwoman bust being ... not hers? It seems possible, even tactically worthwhile, but I don't know and I'd sooner as you all than try and look it up because I'm dumb.

• Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    Okay there is something on tv tropes that i need to be confirmed. Was there really a sequel to x-men:god loves man kills? How did that turned out(quality wise)?

• Options
    Okay there is something on tv tropes that i need to be confirmed. Was there really a sequel to x-men:god loves man kills? How did that turned out(quality wise)?

Yes, it was by Chris Claremont and Igor Kordey in X-Treme X-Men. It was good at the time, and definitely much better than Claremont's other stories. It just opened the floodgates for the reuse of all those ant-mutant characters from the 80's to come back and spin the same tale, and then it led to a huge slaughter of mutant kids in New X-Men that really got out of hand.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    also don't go to tvtropes

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    So, I picked up Spider-Man: Ends of the Earth, mainly because of Brian Clevinger and the fact that it's a one shot.

However, right off the bat, I've got questions:

1: It's a one shot, but I feel like I'm missing something - like this is the culmination of something from other books. Or is the "Let me catch you up real quick" seriously how we're being introduced to this story?

2: What's the deal with Doc Ock's new look?

3: What's the deal with Spider-Man's (really dumb) costume?

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    1) It's a tie-in to an ongoing arc in the main book.

2) He's on life-support, and his most recent plot is basically a middle finger to the Earth before he dies.

3) It's just special armor that he whipped up specifically to take on the Sinister Six. It's been pretty useless so far.

• Options
    Ahh, yeah, looking at the back of the issue keyed me into that. I was misinformed! Thanks.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Dear comic thread, I want try read ultimate spider-man. Like really bad. I want to start ay the beginning and I understand there are ultimate collections if this book out there, the question is where. My lcs says they can't even order it, amazon has none, and I gulag only find volume 2 and 3 when I was at a comic convention a few weeks ago. What do you guys suggest?

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    ComiXology, if you want to get it digital. You could buy it from a third party vendor on Amazon, or check http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/ or http://www.dcbservice.com/.

Speaking of digital, what's worth grabbing in this Hulk sale on ComiXology? Planet and World War Hulk?

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Honestly I'd go for the Peter David penned issues(pretty much everything but the last 5 issues of IncHulk) and Planet Hulk before getting WWH

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    dang, is none of the more recent Pak stuff on sale?

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Batwoman question since I haven't read the New 52 issues past #1.

Something that's annoyed me since the beginning is Batwoman's kind of rude, free-floating breasts, especially compared to how she rolls as Kate. It just doesn't seem to make sense as a character already, and especially after the whole issue where Kate and her father went to great lengths to develop the Batwoman operation and uniform as high speed, low drag from top to bottom.

Has it ever been addressed as the Batwoman bust being ... not hers? It seems possible, even tactically worthwhile, but I don't know and I'd sooner as you all than try and look it up because I'm dumb.

Not really, unfortunately. I don't really have access to my issues right now, but there was a semi-revision of the costume for plot reasons when Amy Reeder got on board. I think she was drawing it less as a free-floating pair of breasts in spandex and more as a pointed deflection breastplate that went over both breasts and in between.

I may be making this up! It may not have stuck.

Imma just go kill Diablo now, that's simpler.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    The woman penciler who was run off the book noticed that the breasts were screwy and tried to fix it. Quelle suprise!

• Options
    I had thought based on the Batwoman stuff I read that her costume was designed to look like the old "bullet bras" of the 40s and 50s.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    I had thought based on the Batwoman stuff I read that her costume was designed to look like the old "bullet bras" of the 40s and 50s.

Yeah, it just makes no sense for that in the plot. The Detective issues collected in Elegy have Kate and her dad iterating again and again to make it as tactically effective as possible. Free-swinging breasts with what look like little protection - so they're getting in the way of what you're doing, possibly hurt because you have no support, and are literally two giant PUNCH HERE FOR FREE EFFECTIVE HIT targets - are about as tactically ineffective as you get.

I've seen a bunch of artwork that makes the suit and that feature look really nice, from a figure-drawing perspective it's a nice touch, but in continuity it's a little bwaaah?

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Can anybody tell me if my favorite DC character, Harvey Bullock, has had any prominent appearances in New 52? He still exists, right?

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me if my favorite DC character, Harvey Bullock, has had any prominent appearances in New 52? He still exists, right?

He was in issue 1 of Batman!

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Hensler wrote: »

He was in issue 1 of Batman!

Huzzah, I've already ordered the first Batman trade :) !

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Z3QCq.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Makes me want a new Gotham Central with Bullock still a cop, written by Snyder (though I would settle for Jason Aaron :D).

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    also don't go to tvtropes

Why?

• Options
    Because it is a silly place, ruled by terrible people.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So I've been watching Young Justice, its a great show. But this last episode raised some Speedster questions
    Has Wally always been slower then Barry and Bart? Can he just not tap into the speed force as well as them or something?

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    So I've been watching Young Justice, its a great show. But this last episode raised some Speedster questions
    Has Wally always been slower then Barry and Bart? Can he just not tap into the speed force as well as them or something?
    In the comics it is the other way around, Wally is the fastest of the Flashes.

Or at least he was until Flash: Rebirth, I think.

CYpGAPn.png