As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Interview at a startup

Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, a couple related questions here.

1) It looks like I'll have an interview at a startup next week. And by startup, I mean JUST getting going. No company website even. Now I've worked for a small, young company. I interviewed for my current job the week the company had its IPO. I work in a rough industry where I've seen many companies come and go. Beyond standard interview stuff, what questions should I be asking to make sure I'm not about to leave a stable-ish (I don't see it lasting much more than another year or so) job for a company that's likely to run out of money and leave me jobless in 6 months? Obviously things like where they are getting their funding, overall business strategy, if there are any current customers lined up, etc.

2) My wife and I are trying to have a kid. I don't know what insurance coverage these guys have. It's also contract to hire an the contracting firm has no benefits for the first 3 months. I will need health insurance and to be sure that if the baby thing happens, we will be covered. I don't even know where to start with that, what to look for, anything. I've always just had insurance provided by my employer.

Jimmy King on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My advice would be to wait till you're steadily employed before trying to have a kid.

Esh on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Seconded, Esh.

If you have that luxury, always take it.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    CooterTKECooterTKE Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you are going to interview. Ask about Capital and what their business plan is.

CooterTKE on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Do you have a job and/or health insurance now?

As I understand it there's a six month waiting period for health insurance to cover pregnancy. Meaning, if you pregnant up to six months after coverage begins, nothing relating to the pregnancy will be covered.

Something to look into.

adytum on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I would go to the interview, but if you guys are serious about the baby thing, they'd need some pretty solid answers before jumping ship. Not saying you have to be wearing IBM Blue before starting a family, but I'd be very hesitant.

Would there be any non-compete issues with this new place?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I am currently employed and insured. Stability of my current job is questionable - I won't be losing my job in the next few months, but I'd be surprised if it exists by middle of 2012 and the stress, lack of staff, etc. are only going to continue to get worse. I've watched my office get reduced from 20 people to 2 including myself over the last 4 years, my team which included myself and 5-6 other full time guys in London plus another 5-10 contractors in London reduced to just myself as of today (the other guy's last day was yesterday). I'm the last person developing and maintaining a system that more than pays for my salary currently, but only has 2 big customers left on it, it's no longer the CEO's pet project and is just something he tolerates because it's one of the few profitable things the company has going, and the CEO has been making poor decisions (imo, and I am closely involved with many of the financial decisions) left and right. So, like I said, stable-ish right now as the CEO is really just waiting for it to make sense to get rid of me and any serious decline in sales or any number of other issues could make that be the case.

The kid thing makes it very difficult, too. We have been trying seriously for well over a year now and taking a "if it happens, great!" attitude for awhile before that. We've been seeing doctors, etc. and the doctors say everything is fine, but no kids are popping out here. It doesn't seem super likely that a kid would come now, but at the same time with as much effort and testing and time as this is taking, I don't really want to just drop the kid idea for 6 months or more.

No issues with non-compete agreements. Aside from doing software dev, it's totally different, doing dev in a different industry. I'm also in a right to work state.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    I am currently employed and insured. Stability of my current job is questionable - I won't be losing my job in the next few months, but I'd be surprised if it exists by middle of 2012 and the stress, lack of staff, etc. are only going to continue to get worse. I've watched my office get reduced from 20 people to 2 including myself over the last 4 years, my team which included myself and 5-6 other full time guys in London plus another 5-10 contractors in London reduced to just myself as of today (the other guy's last day was yesterday). I'm the last person developing and maintaining a system that more than pays for my salary currently, but only has 2 big customers left on it, it's no longer the CEO's pet project and is just something he tolerates because it's one of the few profitable things the company has going, and the CEO has been making poor decisions (imo, and I am closely involved with many of the financial decisions) left and right. So, like I said, stable-ish right now as the CEO is really just waiting for it to make sense to get rid of me and any serious decline in sales or any number of other issues could make that be the case.

The kid thing makes it very difficult, too. We have been trying seriously for well over a year now and taking a "if it happens, great!" attitude for awhile before that. We've been seeing doctors, etc. and the doctors say everything is fine, but no kids are popping out here. It doesn't seem super likely that a kid would come now, but at the same time with as much effort and testing and time as this is taking, I don't really want to just drop the kid idea for 6 months or more.

No issues with non-compete agreements. Aside from doing software dev, it's totally different, doing dev in a different industry. I'm also in a right to work state.

So...start studying up on what you want to do next and apply at new places when this falls through or move to a location that doesnt suck sweaty llama balls?

You can have a kid when you arent looking at possible unemployment. You need to get set right on the world and part of that is not beholden to a single job. If you can't afford to lose any job then you're already in big trouble - either because your skillsets have atrophied or you were being paid too much.

Learn more skills or shed debt/lifestyle until you get back to where you want to be.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    WildEEP wrote: »
    So...start studying up on what you want to do next and apply at new places when this falls through or move to a location that doesnt suck sweaty llama balls?

You can have a kid when you arent looking at possible unemployment. You need to get set right on the world and part of that is not beholden to a single job. If you can't afford to lose any job then you're already in big trouble - either because your skillsets have atrophied or you were being paid too much.

Learn more skills or shed debt/lifestyle until you get back to where you want to be.
    I'm not worried about this being my only chance to move on to another job or anything - it's a rough job market, but I'm good at what I do and have a pretty solid resume. I haven't been seriously looking for quite awhile. Last year the company handed out some decent raises, there was talk of hiring, and we launched some big projects that held some promise of turning the company around. It just didn't work out. So while that was going on, I was holding off on looking for another job because while this place has its problems, there are some things that I really love about this job and if the financial situation had turned around, that would have (probably) solved most of what I don't like about this job.

I wasn't even really intending to start looking now as I am finishing up an internship (I've been employed in the field full time for a long time, but returned to school, etc.) but I saw this job come up from a recruiter who has been good to work with in the past and is working with the languages that I want to focus on and build my skills in so I sent my resume over anyway and let her know that I will not be able to actually change positions for a couple of months. Everything else is moving along faster than I expected though, so I'm just trying to get everything in order so that I can do what's going to turn out best in the end. I'm ok with it whether that's taking the new job if offered, telling them the job just isn't right for me, or telling them that the job sounds great but I'm just not able to make the switch yet like I had hoped to be able to do. I'm just trying to dig up all the info I need to make that call and there's a wealth of experience and knowledge of just about everything on this forum.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    FukatronFukatron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Ask them what they are doing with marketing.

Poor or no marketing plan is often a sign of a shitty startup that's going to fold quickly.

Fukatron on
    fukasig.png
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Find out their funding and VC situation.

Expect lots of options, so find out the total number of shares issued. Do not expect good health benefits.

hamdingers on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, the health benefits are going to be a possible issue. I didn't even think about my cpap and flonase prescriptions. Flonase I can probably pay for out of pocket and could survive without if it came down to it.

I'm trying to do some research into getting my own health insurance separately from whatever would be provided by benefits from any job. This seems pretty important for any job change right now since given our current baby making situation there really is no "good" time to change jobs unless we are willing to just give up for a couple of years and we're getting old enough that we really don't want to do that.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Personal health insurance? Unless you are very, very healthy, expect to pay a whole lot for that.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ceres wrote: »
    Personal health insurance? Unless you are very, very healthy, expect to pay a whole lot for that.
    It ain't cheap, but fortunately I'm horribly underpaid right now (never thought I'd say that) and this job and others I've discussed with recruiters recently are paying $10k-$30k/yr more than I currently earn. So personal health insurance if needed while making a transition and potentially throughout the duration of a pregnancy isn't completely out of the question. Gotta get costs sorted out, find out what their rules are - I know some say if you get pregnant within X months of getting their insurance it's not covered and stuff like that.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It ain't cheap, but fortunately I'm horribly underpaid right now (never thought I'd say that) and this job and others I've discussed with recruiters recently are paying $10k-$30k/yr more than I currently earn. So personal health insurance if needed while making a transition and potentially throughout the duration of a pregnancy isn't completely out of the question. Gotta get costs sorted out, find out what their rules are - I know some say if you get pregnant within X months of getting their insurance it's not covered and stuff like that.

I'm still in awe of the fact that you're dead set on a pregnancy during this possible transition. Why?

Esh on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Avoid the startup, find a better place, stay employed.

It seems to me you have the potential to earn more than you do at your current job. Do you think you could save them? Pitch that. Think you could make money for the company? Pitch that. Use that as a reason to get you more money and help secure the stability of the company. Hell you could be the CIO/CFO/CEO when this guy retires if you play your cards right, especially if the business stays.

As a rule of thumb, I avoid startups like the fucking plague they usually are. If they don't have capital or wealthy investors, run. Or a solid business plan.

Honestly you should ask to see everything, what they do, what they plan, who is investing, what they've got on the line, what kind of company they are, who everyone is. All of that before you even consider an offer or 2nd interview.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Esh wrote: »

I'm still in awe of the fact that you're dead set on a pregnancy during this possible transition. Why?
    There's never a "good" time for having a baby. There's never a time that your employer is definitely not going to let you go tomorrow. I've been "stably" employed full time at a growing company and then laid off less than a month after buying a house. I've had a friend quit a job, sell his house, move to a new city for a job with a growing company that suddenly decided it didn't have the money for the recent staff and let everyone, including him go within 2 months of him doing that.

With everything we're currently going through with the pregnancy situation I'm not yet ready to just give it up for 3-6 months (or more) while looking for a new job, then possibly another 3-6 months depending on what their actual insurance benefits are and delay everything for possibly another year or more without getting all of my options lined up and going over the details. I'm not absolutely doing anything right now, I'm getting information so that I know what my options and the costs involved with those options are, and asking here to make sure I don't overlook anything.

A large percentage of the jobs out here are w-2 contracts and contract to hire and frequently have no benefits, including insurance, for the first 1-3 months. I would need personal health insurance for that regardless of any hopes of pregnancy.

Like I said, right now I am just getting information on what the options and their costs are and what questions I need to be asking and options I should be looking at that I may not be aware of. I'm really not sure what the problem with that is. What's the best option for one person may not be the best for another. Perhaps I've got the financial means to go with a less ideal financially but less hassle/faster results option than someone else does? I haven't decided anything one way or the other on any of this and am just asking for information.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Avoid the startup, find a better place, stay employed.

It seems to me you have the potential to earn more than you do at your current job. Do you think you could save them? Pitch that. Think you could make money for the company? Pitch that. Use that as a reason to get you more money and help secure the stability of the company. Hell you could be the CIO/CFO/CEO when this guy retires if you play your cards right, especially if the business stays.
    Ha, not a chance there. This place is plagued with bad decisions primarily due to the CEO taking a "do everything and do it as quickly and cheaply as possible and hope some of it turns out good" approach rather than taking the time to figure out what it really takes to do something right and then doing that and being good at it. That is a rant for another day, though.
    As a rule of thumb, I avoid startups like the fucking plague they usually are. If they don't have capital or wealthy investors, run. Or a solid business plan.

Honestly you should ask to see everything, what they do, what they plan, who is investing, what they've got on the line, what kind of company they are, who everyone is. All of that before you even consider an offer or 2nd interview.
    Yeah, this is the sort of stuff I'm looking for as far as what to be asking them. I definitely want to know where they're getting their money, how much money they have, etc. I don't know if I would know a solid business plan if it bit me in the ass, which may be a good reason for me to avoid this.

I did some digging today and did find one thing that makes me a little nervous. It appears that the vc funding may be coming from a small vc group that the CEO of this company is also CEO of. I'd be more comfortable if someone other than the CEO's VC group was willing to invest in this.

In the end, though, it never hurts to interview. If nothing else it's good practice. I'm terrible at interviews.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah in my opinion, that startup is probably going to flop within a year. Go for the interview, definitely, I always tell people to do this.

Always pays to do your research on companies, as you just found out. I mean, if you can get everything you want in the interview with a contract and all, and you know for a fact that the place you work at is going to close shop... then I'd probably say go for it. I'm not to sold on either option, but my gut is telling me that this is a bad thing when the CEO is CEO of another company that's funding the current business.

How successful is the other one?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah in my opinion, that startup is probably going to flop within a year. Go for the interview, definitely, I always tell people to do this.

Always pays to do your research on companies, as you just found out. I mean, if you can get everything you want in the interview with a contract and all, and you know for a fact that the place you work at is going to close shop... then I'd probably say go for it. I'm not to sold on either option, but my gut is telling me that this is a bad thing when the CEO is CEO of another company that's funding the current business.

I haven't been able to find anything about the VC company he runs other than it being on his LinkedIn profile.

As to my company, it's certainly not "definitely" going to close up shop. I think I've got another 1 to 1.5 years of being safe unless something unexpected goes wrong and then I become "at risk" but still not "omg I'm going to lose my job tomorrow!". You've seen me discuss my current job in the programming thread, so you know what I've got going on roughly, if you remember. It's batshit crazy where I am, but the platform I keep up and running solidly pays my salary for now and as long as that is the case I'm fairly safe until my employer gets more desperate for money. And who knows, we've got some more good ideas going on. We've always got good ideas, just terrible, rushed, underfunded implementation.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Esh wrote: »

There's never a "good" time for having a baby. There's never a time that your employer is definitely not going to let you go tomorrow.

Yeah, this isn't really true. Focus on getting a job and getting yourself established in it before trying to bring a kid into the world.

Maybe there aren't "good" times, but there are "better" times, and this is not one of them.

Esh on
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In addition to insurance, since you may have a kid along the way, you may want to ask about work life balance since you're going to want to be there for your wife during her pregnancy and for both her and your kid afterwards.

Another thing to research is the cost of paying out of pocket for prenatal care and the pregnancy in your area. It isn't a great option and insurance would definitely be better, but the more information you have, the more you can weigh it against the possibility of no employer-based insurance.

Is your wife employed? If so, will her benefits suffice for her and the baby?

witch_ie on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I haven't been able to find anything about the VC company he runs other than it being on his LinkedIn profile.

As to my company, it's certainly not "definitely" going to close up shop. I think I've got another 1 to 1.5 years of being safe unless something unexpected goes wrong and then I become "at risk" but still not "omg I'm going to lose my job tomorrow!". You've seen me discuss my current job in the programming thread, so you know what I've got going on roughly, if you remember. It's batshit crazy where I am, but the platform I keep up and running solidly pays my salary for now and as long as that is the case I'm fairly safe until my employer gets more desperate for money. And who knows, we've got some more good ideas going on. We've always got good ideas, just terrible, rushed, underfunded implementation.

Yeah this is an extremely hard call. Startups can be extremely demanding too, though.

Personally I'd probably stick it out, you're probably too valuable to them to replace. Being underpaid sucks, though, I feel your pain as I was once underpaid and the ramifications for that have finally caught up to me.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Yeah this is an extremely hard call. Startups can be extremely demanding too, though.

Personally I'd probably stick it out, you're probably too valuable to them to replace. Being underpaid sucks, though, I feel your pain as I was once underpaid and the ramifications for that have finally caught up to me.

Yeah, there's a lot to look into. It IS time to get out soon, maybe not for this specific job, though. I'm safe for awhile, just not long term, so I've got time to wait for the right thing to come along. And yeah, the underpaid bit sucks, but I'm underpaid for what I do, not poorly paid in the grand scheme of things. I still earn well above average household income, just not as much above average as I should.

Like I said, I'm just trying to find out what things I should ask that I might not have thought of as far as the job goes and what things I need to look at as far as insurance that I may not have thought of should I temporarily have a less than ideal insurance situation. For instance today I learned that standard health insurance doesn't actually cover maternity stuff. If you do something stupid and your arm falls off, they'll take care of that for you with regular insurance. If you do something stupid and have a human being bursting from your crotch, apparently you're screwed unless you paid extra beforehand. Good to know if I need to go the personal insurance route for a bit.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Let's say the company is trying to do an IM-style messaging service to replace SMS. Types of things that the start-up should know are:

What is their product?
    Things like "creating a hip virtual space for teens to share their thoughts and feelings" is bad. "Create a targeted ad-supported messaging service aimed at teens with home PCs and mobile devices to create brand loyalty through focused branding by our partners" is slightly better.

Who are their customers?
    If they say "teens," Walk away. It's the advertisers.

How are they making money?
    VC is great, but if it's one guy, that's concerning. What are their long-term plans? Are they hiring an ad agency with skills getting their target market?

What is the competition?
    They should know the competition, and what they're better then them. Hopefully know more then just what you get from Hoovers.

Expansion plans.
    Both internally (employees, buildings) and externally (product updates, partnerships).

A lot more, but that's some of the highlights.

MichaelLC on