As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Comics News] IV: The Voyage Home

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Kazu Kibuishi is using Kickstarter, to fund a reprint of his steampunk western comic, Daisy Kutter. $15 gets you a copy of the book, which includes a short story previously published in the Flight anthology, as well as extras.

fxJNF.jpg

hrGGe.jpg

I bought my copy years ago, when I was on a big Flight kick, and I can't recommend it enough. The art is gorgeous, and the story's really charming. The basic gist is that Daisy Kutter, once a famous outlaw, has now retired to run a general store, with her former partner, Tom, becoming the local sheriff. Feeling restless, Daisy accepts a wealthy mogul's invitation to rob his state-of-the-art train, ostensibly to test its security measures.

Things don't go as planned, gunfire is exchanged, and Daisy and Tom find themselves drawn back to a life of violence.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Nation_X_001_012_013.jpg

This is one of the best comics pages I have ever seen.

I have a problem with that page!

Specifically, Wolverine playing the "Psylocke or Domino" game like they are abstract celebrities he's never met, the way you and I may play "Megan Fox or Scarlett Johannsson." There is a story, I think it is in the X-Men Legends: Hated and Feared trade, and it may be the best story in that volume, where Logan is telling a story about Psylocke telling him a story over a beer about some random fight with an android or something she was involved in, and it's about how much Logan likes Betsy as a drinking buddy and how much he misses her.

Now I am not saying Wolverine wouldn't still do Betsy given the chance (a drinking buddy is great, a drinking buddy you can shag is the greatest), but him speaking about her in such a detached way feels wrong to me.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    "Fascinating." That's one word for it.
    MORRISON: Back in 2006, I requested a moratorium on the New Gods so that I could build up some foreboding and create anticipation for their return in a new form … instead, the characters were passed around like hepatitis B to practically every writer at DC to toy with as they pleased, which, to be honest, makes it very difficult for me to reintroduce them with any sense of novelty, mystery or grandeur.

Jim Starlin, writer of the Countdown tie-in Death of the New Gods: Since Kirby’s initial run on the characters others have presented them with mixed results. Looking back I’d say at least half of the past New Gods series have done more harm than good. So for me, Death of the New Gods is half honoring Jack Kirby, half mercy killing.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    Hey everyone!

There's been a few announcements on CBR and IGN about my new series with Green Wake collaborator Riley Rossmo, but I'm really happy with this article that came up on Ifanboy today. It has an exclusive 8 page preview of Debris #1. Check it out!

http://ifanboy.com/articles/interview-kurtis-wiebe-on-debris-plus-exclusive-preview-art-from-riley-rossmo/

• Options
    I mentioned it when I first saw the preview pages in Peter Panzerfaust, but I really love that art. I don't think I've ever seen Rossmo's art look so clean and bright, before. It reminds me of stuff like Heavy Metal, or Ralph Bakshi's Wizards, that were influenced by European comics.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Comixology is having a 99 cent sale on Fables, and I'm thinking of picking up a good bulk for reading at work.

Is there any specific storylines/runs that I should definitely get? By the same token, any that I should avoid?

• Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    That's an incredibly continuity-driven story. Not a lot you can/should really skip.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Following Chris Roberson, Roger Langridge says he won't go back to Marvel or DC for work . His Muppets story is being published by Marvel but it was made at Boom, though I wonder if Marvel won't publish it now.
    I think it’s down to everybody’s individual conscience, but I think those of us who have options—and I do have options, I’ve got a working relationship with a couple of different publishers, I’ve got illustration to fall back on, I’m not beholden to Marvel and DC for my bread and butter, so it seems to me that if you do have the option you should maybe think hard about what you are doing and who you are doing it for. I was writing the last issue of John Carter when the news came that Marvel had won a lawsuit against the heirs of Jack Kirby, and Steve Bissette wrote a very impassioned post about the ethics of working for Marvel under those circumstances, and pretty much then I figured I should finish the script I was writing and move on, and it’s not like Marvel needs me. It’s no skin off their nose if I don’t accept anything else from them in the future.

More importantly, the Popeye mini-series is now an ongoing, it's just like a Popeye cartoon so check it out.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Comixology is having a 99 cent sale on Fables, and I'm thinking of picking up a good bulk for reading at work.

Is there any specific storylines/runs that I should definitely get? By the same token, any that I should avoid?

Only thing you should avoid is the "Great Fables Crossover" which is all of volume 13. Otherwise the whole story is worth getting.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    ALL Marvel books now self-cover starting in July

The whole justification for the self cover paper was to keep the $3 books at 3 bucks. It will be hard to justify the idea that this is to keep 20 page books at $4.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    ALL Marvel books now self-cover starting in July

The whole justification for the self cover paper was to keep the $3 books at 3 bucks. It will be hard to justify the idea that this is to keep 20 page books at $4.

Wishful thinking, but maybe they'll drop all their books back to $3 for whatever they are doing post AvX. To giver their soft relaunch or whatever a little more oomph?

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    so Scott Kurtz decided to shoot his mouth off about Jack Kirby

http://pvponline.com/news/where-credit-is-due
    Someone’s getting rich. But you know who isn’t getting rich? Jack Kirby. Probably because he’s dead, but that’s not stopping a lot of people from getting very angry about it.

You may not know it, but in many comic book industry circles, there’s a lot of hand-wringing going on about how all that money is being generated by Jack Kirby’s creations and none of it is going to his estate. And there’s a lot of slacktivism happening in the facetweets and twitsbooks trying to get people to boycott the movie or give to the Hero Initiative to counterbalance the karma-carbon footprint you left when you saw the movie three times and enjoyed it. You monster. Don’t you know that you’re just filling the coffers of an evil corporation while the estate of Jack Kirby goes unpaid. He created ALL THOSE GUYS! Even Thor (which was incidentally created by the Norse).

did you know Thor was created by the Norse, guys? it's true, I totally remember reading about how only Thor could lift his hammer and how he had adventures with the Warriors Three and Sif the battlemaiden in the old Norse myths.

• Options
    Yeah, Mighty God King did a good rebuttal.
    But I am a grown ass man, and I can tell you this: the real world does not operate like the morality plays we see acted out on the silver screen in movies like “The Avengers.” Life can not be summed up by “that’s not fair.” It’s not as simple as “Give Jack’s estate some money, Marvel. You can afford it.” That’s not pragmatic thinking. That’s cynicism. And I’m so tired of the cynicism.

I have read this half a dozen times and, putting aside the fact that Kurtz has argued a moral position right after saying he wasn’t going to argue a moral position, it still doesn’t make any sense. Seriously, what is he blathering about here? How is one position or the other “pragmatic thinking” or “cynicism”? Which of the two applies to people encouraging other people to donate to charity or put pressure on corporate officials? How are these even applicable terms? Scott Kurtz writes shit for a living! How can he write a sentence this meaningless?

Seriously, Kurtz's screed reads like the drunken ramblings of a retarded child that's still recovering from head trauma. It's all just words, barely held together by a coherent line of thought.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    God damn it kurtz

• Options
    apparently Dustin Harbin wrote a semi-rebuttal of that rebuttal

http://www.dharbin.com/blog/in-defenseoffense-ofto-scott-kurtz/
    First things first:

I find Scott Kurtz’s post appalling and repugnant. It’s filled with specious, lazy arguments and outright sophistry. It’s a preaching-to-the-choir argument aimed at Kurtz’s fans, which basically suggests that look, all that was a long time ago, the water is too tainted, I wish we could do something about it but it’s just too late, let’s just enjoy what we have anyway. It’s a similar argument to the ones people make against reparations, affirmative action, etc.: “well look I never oppressed anyone, that’s not my fault, hey man you’re bumming me out.”

But second things second:

Christopher Bird, in his rebuttal to Kurtz’s essay, immediately takes a tone so unnecessarily insulting that when I first came across it I couldn’t even finish it. He attacks Kurtz himself, his work, and his career, over and over again, all the while indulging in the kind of snarky sentence-by-sentence quote-and-rebut format which is so popular on message boards, and other places where the substance of what someone says is less important than deconstructing each word they use to say it.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Kurtz is right.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    As usual I feel like the truth of the issue lies in between the assholes at either end

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I think it's fair-play to insult someone, when writing in reply to a condescending essay like Kurtz's. Kurtz may not call his detractors retarded, but he's speaking down to them.

"You’re getting angry over nothing. You’re suiting up for a battle we’ve already won."

"I’m sorry that I can’t muster the energy to be angry at Stan Lee for having some business sense and not dying."

"The people looking to pit fandom and an entire industry against itself to make themselves feel powerful. The worms who never had the courage to create anything themselves looking to forge an identity on the internet by getting in a good dig. By being the guy who got the awesome last word in. These are the real bad guys of our world. Not Marvel executives. Not movie studios. Not the hundreds and thousands of creatives who make movies. Don’t fall for it."

etc.

If he'd written a clinical analysis of the situation, clearly laying out his points, that'd be one thing. Instead, he wrote a conversational essay, laced with sarcasm and a dismissive tone.

Granted, there's an argument to be made for being the better man. But, I don't think Bird was really out of line.

Munch on
  • Options
    It's interesting, I read an interview with Stan Lee recently where he claimed that he's not getting any cut from the movie either. What's the deal with that? He's still alive even!

• Options
    It's interesting, I read an interview with Stan Lee recently where he claimed that he's not getting any cut from the movie either. What's the deal with that? He's still alive even!

I don't think he or Kirby got any ownership of the characters; Stan just gets an annual salary as a Marvel employee.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    If you sign a contract with any company where any work you do for them belongs to them, why should you then go back years later (or your heirs) and say, but waaah, it's really popular and I should get more?"

I don't understand this logic.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    If you sign a contract with any company where any work you do for them belongs to them, why should you then go back years later (or your heirs) and say, but waaah, it's really popular and I should get more?"

Oh no. Here it comes.

• Options
    I'm too exhausted to have that argument again.

• Options
    Who gives a fuck what Scott Kurtz says about anything?

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular

In his defense, he was quite funny when I saw him get drunk in front of a crowd at ECCC (pretending it was an actual panel of substance.)

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    Furu wrote: »
    As usual I feel like the truth of the issue lies in between the assholes at either end

Without a doubt.

These things are insanely complicated and nuanced. Two things that internet arguments never handle well.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    Scott Kurtz pimped the first thing I ever wrote professionally on the PVP website and probably saved my job. On the other hand, looking back at it, it was utter trash and his endorsement was full of inaccuracies that made it obvious he hadn't actually read the book. So... yeah.

• Options
    Arivia wrote: »

In his defense, he was quite funny when I saw him get drunk in front of a crowd at ECCC (pretending it was an actual panel of substance.)

I would concur with this. I attended two Scott & Kris panels at PAX two years ago and they were amazing.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    But, I don't think Bird was really out of line.

Could that perhaps be because he's on the side you agree with

• Options
    Probably?

I mean, if we want to get into it a little further, it's because Kurtz is a public personality known for loudly shooting his mouth off about things he seems ill-educated and ill-prepared to argue, so I don't mind someone telling him he should shut up, in the bluntest way possible.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I feel like maybe I should be mad at Marvel for how they treated ol' Jack

but you know what, I am so fucking tired of this subject

it's one of those bits of comic news that just circles and circles and maybe it's wrong of me but I don't give the tiniest shit any more and I just want it to stop

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    This isn't a criticism of you guys, by the way

I am just really, really tired of the whole Kirby royalties subject coming up again and again in the comic book media

• Options
    Yeah, like I said above, I'm too exhausted to have the argument anymore. Nothing I can do will effect Marvel, or Jack Kirby's estate, and I have better things to do than bicker about it.

• Options
    Wired article about Captain Marvel, with a page of Spidey being Carol's punching bag.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    So they're hanging out both in Capt Marvel and in Avenging Spidey?

I like

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    If Marvel won't be putting Peter and Mary Jane together anytime soon I'd love to see him and Carol finally hook up.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I think I like them better just as friends, personally.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Isn't she a little old for him?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.