As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

European road trip (Help?)

LankyseanLankysean Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So me and my cousins are thinking about going to Europe for about 2 weeks (maybe 10-15 days) and we think it might be cool to do a road trip and hit as many cities/countries as we can. We're thinking about flying into Berlin and then running over to Paris and Bayeux to see Normandy beach then... well we're not sure. We figure the trip from Berlin to Bayeux will take about 16 hours by car, but we'll probably take a bunch of pit stops along the way and stretch that out to like a week or so. We are basically looking for fun things to do in and around Germany, France and possibly Poland since it's pretty close to Berlin. We aren't sure when we'll be going, we kinda want to shoot for spring/summer but nothing is 100% yet.

I have a few questions about Europe:

1: Can we use a rent-a-car to drive from country to country or is that not really allowed under the rental agreement? Speaking of rent-a-cars, I know in America you gotta be 25 to rent and drive a car, I assume thats the same in Europe right? 2 of my cousins are between 18-24 so they might not be able to drive. Last rent-a-car question, do we need to get a special international license? I know when I was in Ireland and Japan I didn't so long as I had my valid American License and Passport.

2: Are there any GPS systems that work all across Europe? My one cousin is awesome with maps but it's not fair for him to have to be awake the entire trip to navigate.

3: When driving from country to country are there any boarder check points like from America to Canada? Are their tolls or anything?

4: Besides England, all European countries use the Euro now right? I'd hate to drive into a country and have all my money become useless.

5: Is Amex accepted in most European countries? I know I had an issue or two using it in Japan and China but was generally fine. I only have an Amex card, but I suppose I could get a Visa card if I needed to.

6: Is English common in any of the countries I mentioned? My one cousin speaks French but not one of us speak German or Polish.

Anything else fun or interesting we should need to know would be appreciated!

Lankysean on

• Options
    BigbluefootBigbluefoot Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I would strongly recommend against renting a car. Just go by bus. I was in Germany for a month on exchange, and it is just a matter of finding a bus stop, which is easy, and waiting 5-20 minutes for one. Plus, they pretty much always go to a train station, which is considerably faster. There is also a ticket plan that lasts a month, for around 30 euros, or at least it was when I was there in '08. You get free bus and train riding for a month. That is awesome. Oh, yeah, and this was for like 5 people. One of these tickets is good in the entire European Union, which covers pretty much all of Europe, if not all. This would be so much cheaper than renting a vehicle, and driving around in that, plus no worry of getting in a wreck, or getting lost. Pack lightly, and bring extra bags to bring things home with.

Keep in mind, this is from '08, I don't know if it is still like that. I can only imagine it is, if its only a little more expensive. If you're set on renting, you'll have to wait on an actual European to answer, but yeah, bus works great. They were roomy enough for me, and I'm 6'8.

Oh, and I had no real problems with Visa, I only used it in a few places, and mostly used euros I exchanged for at the airport. I have no idea on Amex.

English is pretty common just about everywhere in Europe. When in doubt, find a younger person, they are pretty much guaranteed to speak English.

I highly recommend stopping in Munich and going to the Hofberhaus (not sure if that's the spelling). I never got to go, but I've heard it is totally amazing. Also, while in Germany, drink a Radler at some point, don't ask what it is (its not blood in beer or anything like that, normal ingredients, just not something that sounds appetizing before drinking, but it is amazing). OK, actually upon looking at the wiki page on Radler, don't just ask for a Radler, they most likely won't know what you're talking about. Its half beer, half lemonade, and it is absolutely amazing. In German is would be bier and limonade. Just limo works (lee-moe). I think. My German was never very good.

Bigbluefoot on
  • Options
    LeptonLepton Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In Munich it's the Hofbrauhaus. It's a good time, but there are also plenty of other biergartens around. Munich is a terrific city. And I guarantee you they'll know what you mean if you order a Radler in Munich. Visa and Mastercard work well in Germany and Italy, I know. Most Germans speak pretty good English.

Euro is used pretty much everywhere in western Europe with the exception of Switzerland, which uses the Swiss Frank.

I believe that once you are inside Europe, you can travel more or less freely between countries. I don't think I had my passport checked when I went between Italy and Germany.

I second the train. You can take a night train between destinations and won't have to worry about paying for a hotel or hostel for that night.

Lepton on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Passing through borders is easy in most of Europe, without any checkpoints whatsoever. Look on the map or read up a bit here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area. But do keep your passport handy for random checkups at borders. I doubt anyone will give you a hard time with the driving license as long as you have your US one and a passport. Many countries enact freeway tolls though, pretty sure Germany does. And 25 is a pretty common minimum age for renting cars - though sometimes you can add a driver for extra money without the age constraint as long as there is one above 25.

GPS systems that cover the entirety of Europe are commonplace.

Whether AMEX works depends mostly on the stores themselves. Because they take an astronomical fee compared to other card companies, I know of many stores that refuse it. VISA will work everywhere that is not a village of 5 people in the Polish farmland.

A lot of countries don't use the Euro, most relevantly Poland does not. Check here for a map of that too: Euro, non Euro countries.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Also it's pretty funny that Iceland is on the list of countries you can pass in to without passport. I guess that means you could teleport there without going through customs but I'm willing to bet that 99% travel there by airplane.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    BigbluefootBigbluefoot Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    @Lepton
    I imagine in Munich they would know what a Radler was, but I read that there are quite a few differences according to the area. I hate that, but I guess that happens everywhere.

I was just so surprised when I sat down to lunch, while I was over there, and my exchange student sets a beer glass next to me, pours it half full, and then topped it off with lemonade. Thoroughly surprised that they just drink beer with a meal. Totally cool with me, though.

Bigbluefoot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So I hear a lot of good things from you guys, for example GPS systems and english. We kind have a thing for road trips in my family, this will be the 3rd one out of the country, the last one was in Japan from Tokyo to Kyoto and once before that all over Ireland... we've also gone from NJ to Florida and Toronto and another time to Niagra falls, we've also done LA to NJ when I bought an import car from an importer out there... anyway, yeah we love to drive.

Anyways, Munich sounds like a good stop but I don't drink so that Radler thing is out. Also out off my list is Poland, Kinda wanted to stick to the Euro for the trip. I'm also going to pick up a Visa card before I go, just as a back up.

Keep the idea's a coming!

Lankysean on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've rented a cars in Europe while < 25, but others required > 25.

Probably the, uh, more developed the country, the more likely they are to require a 25yo driver.

adytum on
  • Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Keep in mind that some cities, like Munich, are more expensive than others.

Bus and train rides will be fine, but I imagine you won't have a problem when renting a car from a bigger company like Avis with crossing borders as long as you inform them about your plans in advance.
    If you google roadtrip europe you should get lots of info.

In Germany I would suggest Cologne for just being a really nice city with a ton of history and cultural stuff to do and the biggest Gothic cathedral in the world, as well as a big party scene.

Maybe a nice idea would be driving through Germany from south to north, getting some of the diversity in landscapes, then passing into Denmark and maybe further into the Scandinavian countries via ferry or taking the bridge between Denmark and Sweden.
    You will have to exchange money that way, since Denmark and Sweden don't have the Euro, but any bank will do this for you on the spot and major credit cards will also be accepted in most places.
    Also in Scandinavia you will have even less trouble communicating with the natives, as most of them speak decent English(far better than most people here in Germany).

Librarian on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The best thing about travelling by public transport is that you can nap on the way, and therefore spend time doing stuff at your destination.

Also drinking, although getting wasted in a foreign country is never a good idea. Getting a table to yourself on a train and enjoying a light buzz is fun times, though.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i don't think public transport is a good idea people, he is carrying luggage remember?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bwanie wrote: »
    i don't think public transport is a good idea people, he is carrying luggage remember?

He's only going for 10-15days, that's a backpack.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    LaemkralLaemkral Captain Punch King Chester, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Berlin: check at your hostel for the free tours that can be found at Brandenburg Gate. GREAT tours, given by American ex-pats living abroad and trying to make spending cash through tips. There are also a lot of other tours that encompass the Wall, Checkpoint Charlie, the sub-culture scene that is very big there, and other aspects of the city.

Munich: Another good city, I've been several times. The Hofbrahaus is a big tourist site because it's one of the oldest festhauses in the city....and it's where Hitler made his first move for power. But you wont see that factoid on the English menu. ;). Munich also has the BMW museum, Dachau is nearby, as is Neuschwanstein castle with is famous for being the inspiration for Sleeping Beauty's castle in Disney.

Paris: take the highspeed rail rather than driving, mainly because in my opinion Paris drivers are lunatics. The subway is cheap and reliable, taking you almost anywhere in the city. Go early in the morning to the Louvre and youll walk right in. You can cover a lot on foot, so a car really isn't necessary. Same for the other cities, so I agree to just use rail and bus to get around. Also, gas is $6+ a gallon. Stay in the Latin quarter, it's nice.

If you're looking for Europe travel advice, I've heard Rick Steves does some good travel books focused on a budget, and some walking tours on podcast format. I'd say get a Visa because I've yet to see AmEx at any places I've gone to. Even then, always carry some cash because not everywhere takes cards. Most folks speak English, just learn how to ask in the appropriate language so you aren't coming off as rude. They're cool after that. Hostels will help you save money compared to hotels and can really improve the experience of traveling because of the people you meet. hostelworld.com is what I use to book all my stays and I've had nothing but good experiences.

If doing a significant amount of travel by bus or rail originating in Germany, it might be a good idea to purchase a Bahncard before you start buying tickets. 55 Euros will get you a card that takes 25 percent off all train and bus tickets. Have one person get the card and be the "ticket guy" to maximize savings. Then cancel the card before you depart the continent or it'll renew in a year. I'm not sure if they let tourists sign up because I believe you have to give a mailing address, but still worth looking into.

Don't know on the drivers license thing, I'm US Military and we have a special agreement with countries here. The international license thing may be a good idea, though.

Laemkral on
    Avatar courtesy of MKR, and the strip I appeared in.
  • Options
    PaperPrittPaperPritt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    1: Can we use a rent-a-car to drive from country to country or is that not really allowed under the rental agreement? Speaking of rent-a-cars, I know in America you gotta be 25 to rent and drive a car, I assume thats the same in Europe right? 2 of my cousins are between 18-24 so they might not be able to drive. Last rent-a-car question, do we need to get a special international license? I know when I was in Ireland and Japan I didn't so long as I had my valid American License and Passport.

You can definetly rent a car and travel wherever you want with it. Pan-european plans exist, and they cost a lot, but it's doable. Most renting companies require that you have your driving licensse for at least a year before you can get a car, but other than that.....
    2: Are there any GPS systems that work all across Europe? My one cousin is awesome with maps but it's not fair for him to have to be awake the entire trip to navigate.

Any decent GPS that you can buy will cover europe.
    3: When driving from country to country are there any boarder check points like from America to Canada? Are their tolls or anything?

There are no tolls nor booths between european countries, but that does not mean there are no controls, so while there's a 80% chance you won't see a custom officer, they do random patrols, specially during official vacation days.
    4: Besides England, all European countries use the Euro now right? I'd hate to drive into a country and have all my money become useless.

Euro is used and accepted everywhere. If you have a Mastercard, you can use any local ATM to get euros.
    5: Is Amex accepted in most European countries? I know I had an issue or two using it in Japan and China but was generally fine. I only have an Amex card, but I suppose I could get a Visa card if I needed to.

Amex is accepted pretty much everywhere in major cities. Smaller cities, depends on the place, but most small business should accept it.
    6: Is English common in any of the countries I mentioned? My one cousin speaks French but not one of us speak German or Polish.

english is spoken everywhere but you might have troubles if you really go in backwardland.
    Anything else fun or interesting we should need to know would be appreciated!

I'd recommend getting Lonely Planet books for every major city you plan to tour.

PaperPritt on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fuel is significantly more expensive in Europe than in the US, so it may be a better idea to travel by train instead. Public transport is pretty good, particularly in Germany.

If you are planning on driving from Berlin to Bayeux, the route you'll probably take will bring you by reasonably close to Amsterdam and Brussels. Amsterdam is an incredible and well worth a few days, even if you're not into weed or whatever, it still has some incredible galleries and museums.

Brussels is a bit...meh. Worth maybe a day.

Bayeux is nice, and there's plenty of D-day memorials and museums about. I'd also recommend the Bayeux tapestry which details the invasion of England by William the Conqueror in 1066.

If you're staying in cities, an American express card will probably be fine, but it's not readily accepted in independent shops and hostels so much.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you decide to use a car you should keep in mind that places like the Autobahn or the Peripherique are, at least from what I heard, very very different from your average American highway. By that I mean they will most likely appear insane an deadly to you.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Perhaps read up on European road etiquette and rules, no undertaking for example.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ferrus wrote: »
    If you decide to use a car you should keep in mind that places like the Autobahn or the Peripherique are, at least from what I heard, very very different from your average American highway. By that I mean they will most likely appear insane an deadly to you.

LOL i'll keep that in mind, I was actually going to look up some European driving rules and such. Example, most countries drive on the right side of the road right? I can drive on the left, I do it in the Caribbean and Ireland but if I have to switch back and forth every time i go into a new country I'm gonna get confused and kill us all.

Lankysean on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    bwanie wrote: »

He's only going for 10-15days, that's a backpack.

Agreed. I went for five months and I brought less than 50lbs total (including my laptop) and carried it on my back. For barely two weeks you need far less than you realize. I took the train when I went from the Netherlands to Germany to Austria to the Czech Republic and when I go back I'll do it again. I was able to sleep on the train, read, eat, meet people and not worry about anything. I got a pass of some kind that let me pretty much travel in a specific area for x number of times so I didn't need to buy individual tickets or things like that.

My passport was also checked at every border we crossed. Though I technically never entered the Czech Republic. On the train we were checked leaving Germany and I got an exit stamp, then I went to the bathroom. On the way out there were more guys and I told them they had just stamped me and they said ok and let me go on. Apparently that was my entry stamp for the Czech Republic. So I have a stamp leaving the Czech Republic, but not entering into it.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When going road tripping and Germany is on the list then I suggest visiting the Nürburgring. It's that race track that all car makers use as a yard stick for fast cars AND it is also a 14 mile one-way toll road with no speed limit which means on many days you can drive round in any car you like (or you can rent something quick for a lap or two).

Here's the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring and the opening day calendar http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/angebote/driving-experiences/tourist-rides-nordschleife/opening-times-nordschleife.html and a word of caution. Do not drive the Ring and try to set a fast times, that is something for pro drivers and people tired of living!

Also when driving in Europe be prepared for fast cars in the over taking lane and by this I mean really fast cars. Some free way stretches in Germany have no speed restrictions and when traffic is light this can mean people passing you while going 150 mph+. Overall people in Germany are really friendly on the road but they will drive fast.

In general about big cities in Europe. Parking in the city centers can be a nightmare and also expensive. Park at a train station in the edge of the cities and use the public transport systems. You will find public transport in the EU is really great and in some city centers they will even have bicycles you can use for free.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    LeptonLepton Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    @Lepton
    I imagine in Munich they would know what a Radler was, but I read that there are quite a few differences according to the area. I hate that, but I guess that happens everywhere.

I was just so surprised when I sat down to lunch, while I was over there, and my exchange student sets a beer glass next to me, pours it half full, and then topped it off with lemonade. Thoroughly surprised that they just drink beer with a meal. Totally cool with me, though.

Yeah, there are quite a few regional differences throughout Germany. Berlin is different than Hamburg is different than Munich, just as New York is different than Chicago.

Lepton on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Lepton wrote: »
    Yeah, there are quite a few regional differences throughout Germany. Berlin is different than Hamburg is different than Munich, just as New York is different than Chicago.

Thats good advice, I was thinking about Munich and Frankfurt and other "big name" cities. Good advice from everyone, thanks again!

Lankysean on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When you go to Europe alone, relying on public transport is cheaper. When you go in a group of 3 or 4, renting a car may well be cheaper. (Or more or less comperatively priced). A small car sets you back about €50/day plus gas (say €1,50/10km at the moment, gas prices are high in germany and France). Of course, flying from Berlin to France isn't that expensive either (a quick search says one-ways are about €100), but that wouldn't make it much of a road trip.

You could just rent a car on the days that you are outside the metropoles. Both Berlin and Paris really aren't designed to be seen by car, it will just be a nuisance to find places to park. I'd rely on the metro instead. But if you want to visit Normandy, public transport can become a real hassle.

I've never been in Frankfurt, but Stuttgart, roughly on the way from Berlin to Paris too, was a city I quite enjoyed.

Remember that Switserland is not part of EU, Schengen, or the Euro, if you wish to visit the Alps.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Perhaps read up on European road etiquette and rules, no undertaking for example.

And roundabouts.

Liiya on
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Liiya wrote: »

And roundabouts.

And bicycles. Especially in the northern part of Europe many people use bikes as transportation and not just sports. This means bikes all over the place and people on them are expecting those in cars to respect their right of way and all that.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Liiya wrote: »

And roundabouts.

And bicycles. Especially in the northern part of Europe many people use bikes as transportation and not just sports. This means bikes all over the place and people on them are expecting those in cars to respect their right of way and all that.

There are a lot of road customs that may not be familiar, and a lot of colloquial ones that you may not find in a book. For example, at a junction in England, flashing your headlights means 'go ahead, I'm letting you through'. In Greece, it means 'I'm coming through, get the fuck out of my way.' In their respective countries, these are second nature, but put a native of one in the other and you either get an awkward moment or a nasty crash.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!