As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Concerned about possible water damage

GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My washing machine is not draining right, so I emptied it out with my wet-dry vac (so approximatley 14 gallons). Brought it upstairs to empty outside and managed to spill the thing all over my kitchen floor. The water spread into my living room.

Water immediately started dripping into my basement from two points on the ceiling (around a light fixture and at a crack in the paint). I vacuumed up as much as I could from the ground floor, I'd say roughly half. The rest is still dripping down into the basement, which I'm catching with bowls. The water that I'm catching down there is an unpleasant brown color.

I guess what I'm wondering is whether that much water (let's say 8 gallons or so) dripping through flooring into the basement is anything I need to worry about (in terms of damage, mold, whatever) or whether I should just chill out. As it is I can't do anything but wait for it to stop dripping, but afterwards would it be necessary to bring in someone for mold abatement or whatever?

steam_sig.png
IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
GoodOmens on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The brown water is probably just dirt and shit like that you find in floors.

Was this carpeted? Will you have mold? Maybe, hard to say, usually mold comes from floors that absorb water and are in a dark place that will keep the water there.

That said, rip up the carpets (if you have some) and start drying the shit out of it. It is so much easier to replace carpets and padding than it is to replace a whole floor. Chances are you can just retack the carpet and be done with it. Get something that can blow hot air onto that to dry it, that's what my friend had to do to the frame of his house.

Unless the water is pooling and being absorbed you probably won't have an issue. I mean when you see mold damage in a house it's usually from flooding or backflow that hits the frame, not because someone spilt a little water that'll probably dry up in a day or two. Water that's been sitting in a pool on your wood floors? Yeah that'll probably make mold. Do try to dry up under linoleum or carpeting though, that has a recipe for disaster.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The flooring on the main floor isn't much of a concern; the kitchen has tile, the living room has new and well-sealed hardwood. The basement has carpeting, about a year and a half old, and concrete below that. There are 3 major spots where it's gotten wet. Vacuumed up as much as I could, and I've got the dehumidifier going down there. I've also got a room heater down there (one of those little ceramic deals) which I figure will help at least a little.

It's pretty much stopped dripping now. I'd like to to open the basement up and let things air out more but I live in Connecticut and it's freaking freezing here.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think you'll be fine.

Your largest problem is probably going to be water damage, not mold, but I doubt even that. From what it sounds like, you have a high quality home.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You didn't expressly say this but I assume you own the house? Otherwise call your landlord.

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, bought it recently. I suspect I'm freaking out about nothing. Long week, overly stressed. Thanks for the advice, guys.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you have a box fan or something, it'd probably dry stuff up quicker than a heater would.

MushroomStick on