As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

250w PSU, any use?

see317see317 Registered User regular
So, I picked up a new pc at a certain retailers going out of business sale.
While I was at it, I picked up a shiny new monitor and a new graphics card.

I get home, and shock and dismay, the PSU in the computer is entirely too weak to hope to feed the graphics card. I go back, and pick up a 650w Antec power supply for around 60 bucks, swap them out install the new graphics card and am now happy with a moderately beefy, somewhat up to date machine.

And I'm left with a fairly weak power supply. Is there any use for it outside of building a second, smaller computer that I won't use (see above note RE: dust collectors)?
The pack-rat in me hates to just throw stuff out because it might be useful some day, but the pragmatist in me points out that it's a pretty weedy little thing and not likely to be useful to me ever and I really don't need another dust collector in my room.

Second concern is if it's safe to just pitch it in the trash. I mean, PSUs aren't exactly biodegradable. If it can be recycled that'd be great. Alternatively, if someone on here has a use for it let me know, I'll look into shipping prices. Note, I don't know the brand, but I doubt it's all that high end since it came in an off the shelf PC.

see317 on

• Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have a small computer that has a 250w psu that I use in a linux box to test ip/port scanning and hacking for class, other than that I dunno what else you could do. Maybe build your own proxy server?

Aeyther on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    250W will power most HTPCs, if you know anybody that wants to build one.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    250 is useful if you aren't creating a gaming machine. Pretty sure you could sell that.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd save it. Spare parts are handy for testing component failures. PSUs moreso than most, given how many 'my computer won't turn on, what's wrong?' threads exist on the internet.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What Ego and McD said. A 250W PSU could cover an older CPU with a HDD and an optical drive and low end or integrated graphics card.

Alternatively, if you know of any local charities or companies that take older systems to refurbish and give to nonprofits and low-income people they'd probably love to take it off your hands.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah dude, I would hold on to that thing. It's not like you'll make that much money selling it, and you never know when having a spare functional PSU laying around could be handy.

Gaslight on