As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ChemistryOn!] SpaceChem! Demo on Steam, good for four hours.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Very cool.

I love this Youtube feature. It really does more to show the wild array of solutions available than any screenshots or description ever could.

I must inflict my latest solution now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgvn54BVhT0

That took no time at all compared to the hell that ammonia (It Takes Three) was for me. That one is definitely getting a do-over soon.

Drake on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    Very cool.

I love this Youtube feature. It really does more to show the wild array of solutions available than any screenshots or description ever could.

I must inflict my latest solution now!

(EDIT: Awesome solution, cut for brevity)

That took no time at all compared to the hell that ammonia (It Takes Three) was for me. That one is definitely getting a do-over soon.

Ah! We had very similar solutions, but yours looks like it was made significantly more efficient in the # of symbols used because you changed the shape of the resultant molecule... I've got to remember that that's an option! I've realized that you can drop it in any alignment you want, but I keep forgetting that you can also bend it differently as long as the right bonds are there.

Here was mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=247E3PS0IJ8

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Downloading the demo now. I don't know why though. I worked my ass off in high school chem and only got a C. :(

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think this game is going to ruin my life. I was struggling with a level last night, so decided to stop for now and go to bed. Then as I was lying there a gloriously simple solution came to me, and I desperately wanted to see if it would work. I resisted the urge to get out of bed and test it, but not sure I'll be so strong next time.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Downloaded the demo.

Played for 10 minutes.

Immediately closed the demo and bought the full game.

See you guys in 6 months.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's easy to forget that you can overbond hydrogen without any consequences.

jothki on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    jothki wrote: »
    It's easy to forget that you can overbond hydrogen without any consequences.

... that is easy to forget! And so useful! Adding it to the OP.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    My god this game is amazing. And this is the most complicated thing I've built yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDoP50zvoZo

I know I'm not even in the Deep Shit yet, but I already feel like when you beat this game it should say "Congratulations! If you are reading this, check your email for a job offer."

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also, holy shit... I can't embed images, but look at this:

spacechemtrick1.png

this changes everything. What is being done there, I never would have even considered.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Wow, I had to look at that for a couple of minutes before I realised what that diagram was doing. I assume it operates by having the blue sequence land on the Bond+ instruction and halt, running it constantly? If so, that is indeed glorious.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Zedar wrote: »
    Wow, I had to look at that for a couple of minutes before I realised what that diagram was doing. I assume it operates by having the blue sequence land on the Bond+ instruction and halt, running it constantly? If so, that is indeed glorious.

Exactly. Fucking genius.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow I didn't know a waldo stuck on an instruction would run it continuously. That's some outside the box fuckin thinking.

Speaking of out of the box... figuring out the right outputs for the first disassembly for Settling into the Routine took me an hour and a half. It then dawned on me that A) you don't have to use ALL of the bonders, and B) you don't HAVE to use all the inputs to your reactors either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn6elvpPKCc

Ledneh on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This game is the best, I suppose I will have to buy it as soon as I get through the demo.

Also, uh (not my doing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niz3faOxnqA

Fats on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ^^(edit) welp i now feel wholly inadequate and unmanly, brb killing self

Now that I'd think about it, one thing I'd wish for in the uploaded youtubes for Production levels is for the video to zoom in to the reactors for a couple goes.

Ledneh on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    D: Oh my

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Are you allowed to discard elements you don't want by ejecting them into an empty output, or will that stop the system?

jothki on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I feel like I should get some kind of score bonus for designing neat little compact reactors that don't even use whole rows/columns of squares. Like saving Spacechem money by allowing them to use smaller reactors, or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My5KV9dm1qE

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Are you allowed to discard elements you don't want by ejecting them into an empty output, or will that stop the system?

No, I'm pretty sure this will get you in trouble. Some of the levels provide what are essentially garbage dumps which you can send unwanted elements to, but otherwise you just need to find some other way to handle them.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I feel like I should get some kind of score bonus for designing neat little compact reactors that don't even use whole rows/columns of squares. Like saving Spacechem money by allowing them to use smaller reactors, or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My5KV9dm1qE[url][/url]

Isn't it the case that the simplier your designs are, the greater the output x at time t? Haven't played it myself yet, but the talk of optimising production streams in order to improve your output suggests this.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My5KV9dm1qE[url][/url]

Isn't it the case that the simplier your designs are, the greater the output x at time t? Haven't played it myself yet, but the talk of optimising production streams in order to improve your output suggests this.

Yeah, I guess you're right, I didn't think of it that way...

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

No, I'm pretty sure this will get you in trouble. Some of the levels provide what are essentially garbage dumps which you can send unwanted elements to, but otherwise you just need to find some other way to handle them.

EDIT: Wow, I just saw Zedar's quote above... it's remarkably relevant. =)

You guys are going to get a kick out of this.

Okay, so in "Nothing Works" I was ready to go, all my reactors made sense...

I ran it, and it turns out the Nitrogen was being produced too rapidly, and the pipe was clogging up before I produced much of anything. I was outputting both nitrogens from the triple bond Nitrogen input.

My solution?

Take one of them and instead throw it into a giant pipe that goes nowhere, and hope it doesn't fill up before I hit the quota. It worked.

'Well, gotta put it somewhere'

lol

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    the Space-EPA is going to fine you for that one. :P

My latest solution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_MyhqiKj1M

A little convoluted, but I consider this to be the first real level, so I'm cutting myself some slack on it.

god I love this game.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Take one of them and instead throw it into a giant pipe that goes nowhere, and hope it doesn't fill up before I hit the quota. It worked.

Yeah, I've read about people doing this but it feels like a cheap way out to me. I'd rather find a proper disposal method, even it it makes my layouts hideously complicated.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    God, the demo of this thing is making my brain have a workout.

On one hand, it plays unlike any other puzzle game I've tried before. And I love it for it.

On the other, $15 for a puzzle game is a bit against my usual self.

Ugh.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I ran it, and it turns out the Nitrogen was being produced too rapidly, and the pipe was clogging up before I produced much of anything. I was outputting both nitrogens from the triple bond Nitrogen input.

My solution?

lol

I really, really hope you're not an engineer in real life :lol:

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    lol!

Once the concept entered my mind, I realized that I absolutely had to do it for the humor of the situation. I guess the less hilarious solution would've probably been to throttle the Nitrogen output, or find a way to build that top molecule faster so it would keep up with Nitrogen output... but this way of resolving the problem was decisively the funniest.

Heh, strangely I'm kind of saddened that the strategy already existed, Zedar. I thought it was a creative solution at least. =)

IRL I'm a Software Engineer. I guess the analogy to the "long pipe" solution in my realm would be if someone decided a memory leak isn't a problem because the program they're executing is short lived enough that it won't run out of memory before it finishes executing. ;)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's certainly an interesting and cost-effective way around the problem with a known goal.

Gonna see if I can download the demo of this tonight, I'm finding this thread far too fascinating to wait a few days

edit: Any game that comes with it's own periodic table and paper-craft ranks highly in my books!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

My solution?

lol
    Damnit some strange bug has bitten me and now I'm trying to find a way to use all that nitrogen efficiently, i.e. not plugging up the pipes or forcing a reactor to idle, or doing something that would give a SpaceEPA inspector a fit

this isn't even a tracked metric

HELP ME

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    IRL I'm a Software Engineer. I guess the analogy to the "long pipe" solution in my realm would be if someone decided a memory leak isn't a problem because the program they're executing is short lived enough that it won't run out of memory before it finishes executing. ;)

Ah! Real Life Engineering! :lol:

Behold! As my contraption rotates the molecules time and time again just to avoid the edges!

Every Day...

OK, so it's close to midnight here, and that seemed like a sensible solution.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I love it Drovek.

I enjoy the big crazy, inefficient ones as much as the elegant and clean ones.

edit: Holy Shit! Stop the Reactors!
    Introducing ResearchNet, the official intergalactic-intranet used by SpaceChem for sharing reaction engineering research!

Arriving in the form of a free, not-yet-dated update for SpaceChem, ResearchNet will allow you to create your own research assignments, share them with friends, and submit them to the Journal of Reaction Engineering, an in-game “publication” featuring the best assignments made by both SpaceChem engineers (you guys) and Zachtronics Industries designers (me).

I feel sooo good about dropping some bucks on this game. Sooo goooooood.

Fucking chemicals. Fuck yeah.

Thanks for sharing this with me eelektrik.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    I love it Drovek.

I enjoy the big crazy, inefficient ones as much as the elegant and clean ones.

Well, just judging from the graphs each level it seems I tend to over-engineer.

A lot.

:lol:

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    God this game rules. So addictive. Just made "Nothing Works" my bitch though. Got the challenge for finishing it in under 1000 cycles, and well under the average on symbols. Too bad Production level videos aren't the best quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2bti9q-k6A

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    eelektrik wrote: »
    God this game rules. So addictive. Just made "Nothing Works" my bitch though. Got the challenge for finishing it in under 1000 cycles, and well under the average on symbols. Too bad Production level videos aren't the best quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2bti9q-k6A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2kP-1BTvl0

The frustrating part is that somebody has a score of 418 cycles, and I have no idea how to manage that. I MAYBE could shave off like four cycles with some redesign, but not eight.

Garthor on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dang, Nothing Works is tough

But I did it 8-)

edit: I totally didn't know pipes can cross over each other

tofu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Coupled with your avatar, I'm inclined to believe you

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Since none of you guys are saying anything and this is awesome news, I'll just assume you missed the edit to my last post. So I'm just gonna leave this here.

Holy Shit! Stop the Reactors!
    Introducing ResearchNet, the official intergalactic-intranet used by SpaceChem for sharing reaction engineering research!

Arriving in the form of a free, not-yet-dated update for SpaceChem, ResearchNet will allow you to create your own research assignments, share them with friends, and submit them to the Journal of Reaction Engineering, an in-game “publication” featuring the best assignments made by both SpaceChem engineers (you guys) and Zachtronics Industries designers (me).

I feel sooo good about dropping some bucks on this game. Sooo goooooood.

Fucking chemicals. Fuck yeah.

Thanks for sharing this with me eelektrik.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Not going to win me any prizes, but I had some fun figuring out It Takes Three

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyPiTdgqjUc

First time I seriously had to use rotators.

edit: Actually, looking back on my solution, it seems like it SHOULDN'T work. Why doesn't the bind-command that attaches the first Hydrogen recreate the doublebond between the oxygens?

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It creates the OH bond first, which fills up the oxygen bond limit.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It creates the OH bond first, which fills up the oxygen bond limit.

And this is what makes your solution ingenious!.

Even if it was an accident. :P

Vi Monks on