As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

enter/return key on macbook not working

bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So the subject line about sums it up - The return key on my almost-3 year old macbook (which is sadly not under warranty anymore) stopped functioning out of the blue. I took the key off to see if there was anything stuck but there was nothing there. I found this when looking for a number for apple support: "Mac, iPhone, iPod and iPad customers within 90 days of ownership are eligible for complimentary phone support — one support incident per iPod and unlimited incidents per Mac, iPhone and iPad." I am obviously no longer within 90 days of ownership, so I am assuming "complimentary" no longer applies? I was going to call to see if there was a fix before bringing it into an apple store, but I could skip that step if it costs money and just bring it in. If anyone has any idea what could be wrong I would be happy to hear it! Also if anyone has any ways to get around my inability to use gchat at the moment - without a "send" button to click I can't respond to anyone or begin a conversation - I would also love to hear possible solutions! (Sorry for the lack of line breaks.)

bowtiedseal on

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just take it in. I don't think fiddling around in a MacBook is a very good idea.

Esh on
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I definitely don't trust myself to do more than check under the key, I was just curious if anyone has heard of this before or could help me gchat in the meantime before I get a chance to bring it in - it's my main method of communication to talk to my deployed boyfriend so I would like to be able to do that! I don't have a car and would have to bum a ride to the apple store, so it might be a little while before I can bring it in.

bowtiedseal on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I definitely don't trust myself to do more than check under the key, I was just curious if anyone has heard of this before or could help me gchat in the meantime before I get a chance to bring it in - it's my main method of communication to talk to my deployed boyfriend so I would like to be able to do that! I don't have a car and would have to bum a ride to the apple store, so it might be a little while before I can bring it in.

Plug a USB keyboard into it?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8417983 ?

Esh on
    edited March 2011
    No dice on the SMC thing, unfortunately.

bowtiedseal on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can use the Onscreen Keyboard to send the enter key for gchat. Under System Settings, just to the left of the little house labeled "Security", there should be a blue flag that says either "Language & Text" or "International", depending on what version of Mac OSX you have installed. Click that, then go to the tab labeled "Input Sources" and make sure the box next to "Keyboard Viewer" (or Keyboard & Character Viewer, again depending on version) is checked.

Now in the top right of your screen next, near the battery indicator, there should be either an American flag, or a little icon that looks like this: Screenshot2011-03-06at50951PM.png

Click that, select Show Keyboard Viewer, and you'll have the Onscreen Keyboard open. Now when you get done typing a message in gchat, just click the enter key on the Onscreen Keyboard, and it will get sent.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited March 2011
    thanks!

bowtiedseal on