As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Don't Believe In Nuthin' No More; I'm Going To [Business School]

Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
This may be a bit outside the usual scope of these threads, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

A bit of background - I worked in the video game industry for several years, and it caused me to question if computer programming was really for me. I went through a pretty extensive process of research, soul-searching and advice gathering, and I decided the thing to do was to go back to school and get an MBA.

I live near my alma mater, and I applied there. Part of the application process is writing a test, called the GMAT. I wrote mine a few months ago and got a pretty good score. Good enough that I started getting recruitment packages from schools. Based on this, I put in an application to a "reach school". Last week, I got an acceptance letter from them, along with a scholarship offer.

So now I'm in a dilemma.

On the one hand, I've been accepted to the school I initially planned to go to. I did my undergrad there, I liked it well enough the first time around. There's no scholarship offer or anything. The school is a pretty regular, Canadian school. Most people probably haven't heard of it. I've researched their program, and it seems pretty decent. I also have the potential to do some consulting with my current employer and keep things in my life pretty normal. I have a house and a long term (5+ years) relationship, so that kind of thing is obviously a concern.

The reach school is very prestigious. It's the kind of institution that big investment banks and the like do their recruiting from. It's the kind of school that shows up in Top 10 and Top 20 rankings for business schools. They've offered me a scholarship. It doesn't cover the full nut, particularly when factoring in the cost of living, but the combination of that and my own savings make this a possibility. That said, I'll probably end up in a lot of debt if I go. It's also not in the city where I live. My significant other has her own program to finish (if all goes well, we'll both finish at the same time) so she's not likely to go anywhere.

So right now, I've got about three weeks to make a pretty huge decision. Obviously I have people IRL to talk to, so my decision isn't hinging on what strangers on a web forum say. On the other hand, having that kind of outside perspective can be valuable. So....thoughts?

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
Edith_Bagot-Dix on

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For graduate school, name and support is a pretty big deal. For example, an MBA from Harvard is significantly more prestigious than a BA in Business from Harvard.

But the support network offered by the school is also worth quite a bit. Having an active recruiting network makes it much easier to actually use your degree after you graduate. It doesn't get you the job, but it opens doors you may not have even realized had you not gone to the school. Of course, part of that is how active you are when you're actually in the program -- the local school may have similar involvement and opportunities.

Now, as for your underlying dilemma -- the house and the relationship -- you are looking to grow your career with a masters degree. What do you see yourself doing after you finish the MBA at either school? Do you plan to continue living in your current town? Do you see another move so you can explore the best opportunities? Will your significant other follow you then, or does she have her own career goals that necessitate a move as well?

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    ConfuseousPrimeConfuseousPrime Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In the most general sense I'd recommend taking the reach and trying to work things out. Like EggyToast says, name is very important when it comes to degrees like MBA, JD, some graduate programs. Even if you don't end up in Investment Banking, just having that name can get you in the door in a lot of places where you might struggle.

One thing to absolutely do is (tactfully) making Program A aware of Program B's scholarship offer. Often times Program A will shoot back with a revised package with more favorable terms, which you can then bounce off of Program B and possibly get even better terms. I've known people that went from 0 in scholarship money to having 3/4 of their tuition covered at the more expensive institution.

After you've gone through that song and dance you'll have a better idea of what the true cost of going to X or Y school is going to be. In addition, you have the added benefit of possibly knowing how badly they want you to attend, and how well the administration works in both schools.

You might find that the local school is willing to give you more than initially offered. Maybe they only offered you the package they did because they figured you weren't going to take it (it happens more often than you think). If you let them know you are seriously considering them they can get their "real" offer in order.

From there, it's up to you!

ConfuseousPrime on
  • Options
    steamypilesteamypile Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm actually in Bschool right now. At UCLA Anderson if that helps out. Let me know if you have any particular questions about anything, or shoot me a PM. Also, as Eggytoast says, your end goal is the real deciding factor here. If you're looking to go into finance or switch careers etc that makes a difference, especially when networking.

Just off the cuff I would suggest the more "prestigious" school, simply because of networking and recruiting opportunities.

steamypile on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In terms of future plans...

My SO is from the opposite side of the country. She doesn't have a real connection to the area where we live, and the plan, since Day 1 of her course, has been that we will go anywhere that we can both get reasonably satisfactory jobs. She's already survived one big move with me.

I'd be happy to stay where I currently am, but I'm also very comfortable moving around. I've been in the IT sector for just over a decade (I'm weird - I dropped out of a BA during the DotCom boom, worked in Canada and US, got laid off during the bust, went back to school and got a Comp Sci degree, and then got into video game programming) and it has entailed a lot of moving around.

The lucky thing is that Canada's a fairly small country when it comes to actual population centers. My SO's reasonably likely to be able to find a job in her field in any major center, and in particular she spends a few months every year in Toronto doing her clinical work. That's also pretty much the financial heart of the country. We've also discussed the possibility of going to Europe (I have dual citizenship with the UK). Right now she has tentatively ruled out any move to the U.S. (I'm ambivalent, but the immigration related stuff has only gotten worse since I worked there before so any offer would need to compensate for the additional pain in the butt).

One of the real hang ups for me is that, even with the scholarship, I'm likely to end up about $100K in debt going to the reach school. The local school is more affordable and I have some options for income here that will help defray the cost. Right now I'm pretty much debt free, other than my mortgage, though my SO has a loan for her program.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    PlushyCthulhuPlushyCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In the first year of my MBA for reference. My jaded take is that if you get in and don't go to your reach, you're doing business school wrong. It may not be true, but you need to figure out the parameters of what you want to do with your MBA. Do you want to go into finance? Then you want a name brand and be in Toronto (or New York). Do you want to stay within tech? Your location will be a lot less restrictive, but your school's career services will probably focus significantly on local companies, for better or for worse. You can always do the legwork yourself, but you will have more support if you are aligned with what your school is good at.

I wouldn't worry (much) about the debt. MBAs aren't quite doctors, but you will have a plenty comfortable salary and it sounds like you're in solid financial shape. Again, it depends on your goals, the ROI of finance is much higher than non-profit work, but hopefully you're going back to school to either do what you love or to figure it out. I would worry slightly about the SO, as an MBA is a brutal time sink and you need to make sure you two are on the same page. If things will work with her and the reach school, go for it!

PlushyCthulhu on
    Steam/LoL: plushycthulhu
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    An MBA is all about networking. Like, all about networking. It's all about where you can get the best internship during the summer between your two years, and then all about the best opportunities to get the highest-paying jobs afterwards.

If you're going to sell out, you should do it all the way.

That being said, you are up shit creek if you can't get a job post-prestigious MBA. The safer option is the local school, but that doesn't make it the better option.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Business school is all about the name, not only for networking but for the internship/work doors it opens. Do what you have to do in order to go to the reach school. The only reason you go with "the local/where I did my undergrad" option is if you don't get into your reach.

schuss on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Eh, business school is not really all about the networking or name. As someone who just finished my MBA last year, that's a part of it but it is really about getting to you operate at a higher level within an organization. A major element of operating effectively at a higher level is effectively communication and teamwork, which is a major focus of any MBA program worth its salt.

Ultimately you're able to say "I can not only function well in the industry I'm in, but I understand the business elements as well." It's rarely a career changer, making it different from other masters degrees, but it's definitely an augmentation. There is an academic basis behind the degree, and the majority of programs are moving away from the "how do you make the most money" element and towards effective communication and a deeper understanding of decision-making and leadership. Heck, most have ethics classes as a lead-in class nowadays; a far cry from "the power point should be green, because that's the color of money."

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    arcticmonkeysfanarcticmonkeysfan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As someone who's studying finance I'd like to say that having just an MBA is not necessarily useful for investment banking or finance. Jobs in finance usually require alot of specific technical knowledge although being from a computer science background could be helpful as there are alot of engineers/computer science/math people working as quants at these kinds of companies.

Also, networking is a really, really big part of being in any sort of business type program so going to a school with better networking and recruiting possibilities is huge.

arcticmonkeysfan on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Heyyy a well-timed Bschool thread! I just found out that I will be in Boston for a few years as a lieutenant in the Air Force, so I'm trying to find a good part-time MBA school.

So far, I'm liking BU. The other schools either: are lacking a working professionals (part-time) gig, are flying under my radar, or are at the level I don't think I have the grades/time for.

At this point, I have no clue what I'm doing. I just requested a guidebook from BU for information but I really don't know how to proceed. Especially since my circumstances are different than traditional applicants.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    2009 MBA here. I went to a top-tier school but not in the top 20.

It matters. Go to the reach school.

And yes, I have a metric asston of debt. Guess how fun it was graduating in 2009 with that.

Gork on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    2009 Indiana MBA here. When it comes to business/medical/law school, you want to go to the best possible school. The moves that you make while getting your MBA will determine your future with it. That means networking, internships, and connections like most people here have said. Flat out, you'll get better results from being at a better school.

This shouldn't even be a dilemma. I get the convenience of staying at home and not wanting to add additional bills. I get wanting to be with the significant other. Even with both of those concerns, you should go to the prestigious school.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Heyyy a well-timed Bschool thread! I just found out that I will be in Boston for a few years as a lieutenant in the Air Force, so I'm trying to find a good part-time MBA school.

So far, I'm liking BU. The other schools either: are lacking a working professionals (part-time) gig, are flying under my radar, or are at the level I don't think I have the grades/time for.

At this point, I have no clue what I'm doing. I just requested a guidebook from BU for information but I really don't know how to proceed. Especially since my circumstances are different than traditional applicants.

Main thing you need to do is study for/take the GMAT. Any decent book store or library will have study guides available.

After that, I'd see if they have any open house events at the school and then go to one of those. Then do the application.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    lunasealunasea Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm in undergrad coming out of NYU business school and during recruiting season I got offers ranging from 60-80k plus signing bonuses. I have peers that got 100k+ and fat bonuses. I'm not sure about MBA salaries but I'm sure it's much, much more than that. So definitely go the prestigious route - plus they're giving you a scholarship. Seems like a no-brainer. I just have to say though, I never refer to the people I meet in business school as friends and I don't see myself doing what I'm doing for more than 2 years. Tradeoffs, eh?

lunasea on