Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
I Don't Believe In Nuthin' No More; I'm Going To [Business School]
This may be a bit outside the usual scope of these threads, but I figured I'd give it a shot.
A bit of background - I worked in the video game industry for several years, and it caused me to question if computer programming was really for me. I went through a pretty extensive process of research, soul-searching and advice gathering, and I decided the thing to do was to go back to school and get an MBA.
I live near my alma mater, and I applied there. Part of the application process is writing a test, called the GMAT. I wrote mine a few months ago and got a pretty good score. Good enough that I started getting recruitment packages from schools. Based on this, I put in an application to a "reach school". Last week, I got an acceptance letter from them, along with a scholarship offer.
So now I'm in a dilemma.
On the one hand, I've been accepted to the school I initially planned to go to. I did my undergrad there, I liked it well enough the first time around. There's no scholarship offer or anything. The school is a pretty regular, Canadian school. Most people probably haven't heard of it. I've researched their program, and it seems pretty decent. I also have the potential to do some consulting with my current employer and keep things in my life pretty normal. I have a house and a long term (5+ years) relationship, so that kind of thing is obviously a concern.
The reach school is very prestigious. It's the kind of institution that big investment banks and the like do their recruiting from. It's the kind of school that shows up in Top 10 and Top 20 rankings for business schools. They've offered me a scholarship. It doesn't cover the full nut, particularly when factoring in the cost of living, but the combination of that and my own savings make this a possibility. That said, I'll probably end up in a lot of debt if I go. It's also not in the city where I live. My significant other has her own program to finish (if all goes well, we'll both finish at the same time) so she's not likely to go anywhere.
So right now, I've got about three weeks to make a pretty huge decision. Obviously I have people IRL to talk to, so my decision isn't hinging on what strangers on a web forum say. On the other hand, having that kind of outside perspective can be valuable. So....thoughts?