As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] I'll see you on the other side. The Barrovian Society 2007-2014

• Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    I had to buy a completely new home and all my housing items were in escrow.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    :(

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    Installed LOTRO on my new box today and logged in less than a week before housing upkeep expired. Now paid up through mid-December, and hopefully I'll actually play the game before then.

Of course, all specializations/talents/etc. have been reset, and I have no idea what to do now... where can I find info on builds, particularly for Cappy/LM/Guard? Or did they ruin these classes?

LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
  • Options
    For cappy the best build I found was running straight yellow line and getting that last skill.

Unless you dislike being invincible.

• Options
    The level cap is going up to 100.

Because I'm sure what everyone wanted was more levels.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    looks like I never bought Helms Deep. Good thing it's Fathers Day soon.

Someone come make me some light armor? You know, if you happen to be in the neighborhood?

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    Soo I bought Helms Deep. Am currently still going through Rohan with my LM. She's a beast.

Does anyone have any experience with the skirm soldier on the landscape? Does it play just like in the skirmishes, and by that I mean stupid?

And I have 12k marks to spend, how did that happen? My warrior soldier is still leveled up, but I haven't checked my herbalist on my hunter.

and seriously, someone make me some gear. My gear sucks.

• Options
    Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    Just thought I'd stick my head in and say gday...

Yes, landscape soldiers act like they do in skirms. I found myself spending a lot of lotro fun money on landscape tokens.

Who else is playing this? I havent been on since....I dunno 6 months ago.

• Options
    I was playing for about a month...but, I am now playing D&D Neverwinter.

Thanks for the info on skirm soldiers, that sounds fun.

And good day to you too sir.

• Options
    I think a new area was released? Something happened.

I don't know.

It makes me sad I don't care anymore.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    This game had a good run, and I can STILL log in on holdays and fuck around and usually find someone on.

King of the MMOs, I say.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Geth agrees.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    The only thing remaining I want from this game is to run around Minas Tirith. I will be complete then.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Geth agrees.

No, it just thinks you belong to HYDRA.

• Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    So I loaded up today just to pay house maintenance etc, and had to agree to some Akamai EULA or some shit, and now the update download is a fraction of the speed it used to be. Seriously, out of 4062 files, it's doing 1 or 2 every few seconds. LOTRO has officially become more of a burden than a pleasure.

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    Triple B wrote: »
    So I loaded up today just to pay house maintenance etc, and had to agree to some Akamai EULA or some shit, and now the update download is a fraction of the speed it used to be. Seriously, out of 4062 files, it's doing 1 or 2 every few seconds. LOTRO has officially become more of a burden than a pleasure.

Unfortunately ever since they went through a major overhaul of their patching progress, I haven't been able to patch and play the game.

I had a good time with it, but I think the magic is gone.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    So, you all see the thread title. I'm sorry to anyone still clinging to the memories as if they're ever going to happen again, but I had to do this. For me. I was a founding member of TBS. I submitted the name that was chosen for the kinship. I've been with it since beta in March of 2007. Of course I still miss the days when we had dozens of simultaneous active users, but those days are gone. Now we're hard pressed to have someone log in once a month. No shit, it had been three weeks since anyone but me had been logged in, and as you looked a bit further down the list, the gap widened significantly. It's okay. I have no interest in playing LOTRO anymore, either. And this was the only way I personally was going to be able to let go. For nigh on two years, the only reason I've been logging in once a month was to remove people who had been inactive for a certain amount of time. As I said in my previous post, LOTRO has been less a game, and more a burden for quite some time. Now, we're all free. Again, I'm sorry it worked out this way.

We had some great times, brosephs. We can still keep in touch, of course. We're all easy to find.

Triple B on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    And there are still lots of active kinships and servers out there - probably for the best.

At the moment is seems nigh impossible for any MMO but WoW and Wildstar to keep an active playerbase here at PA.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I am also still glad I have a lifetime sub.

This is a game I come back to every expansion or two, and give a couple months of my life to.

This makes me a terrible kinship member, but a very happy gamer.

I just hope against all hopes they can carry the momentum through Minas Tirith - I want to see that city in the distance, and ride my horse up to it.

I just want that.

They could run the end credits at that point and uninstall it from my computer... just give me that moment.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I figured this would happen when I stopped logging in, and honestly, I usurped you @Triple B as a way to save you from having to do this but. . .I couldn't keep going. My own will to play just wasn't there either and I think I am just done with LOTRO.

This was for the best and now I will go cry tears of great sadness.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    And there are still lots of active kinships and servers out there - probably for the best.

At the moment is seems nigh impossible for any MMO but WoW and Wildstar to keep an active playerbase here at PA.
    FF14.

Im often annoyed when PA guilds die out because we get distracted by new games, but in LOTRO's case it is entirely the game's fault. It is a massive burden to simply log in, nearly all new content requires you to first play through tons of old content and the game barely rewards you for beating content.

To expand on that last bit: who gets excited for receiving a bunch of relics and item exp runes after beating a 6man dungeon? Or who cares about a new ring with a 1% drop chance from a raid that only provides a minor stat boost?

• Options
    edited August 2014
    F2p really brought a lot of PA players in and we lasted for a long time as a relatively tight knit group.

The game just didn't provide enough past the initial content push that it couldn't sustain. Especially with the first post F2P expansion being pretty lackluster.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    We really can't get mad at LOTRO. Next to WoW, this is one of the longest lasting MMO's, and communities, we've had.

• Options
    You all will be back when they let us ride our goats through the streets of Minas Tirith or fight orcs in Osgiliath. See you all in 6 months....or a year.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So is the game dying? Or bring shut down. I've always wanted to get into it but not if it's coming to an end.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    It's a great game, is still beautiful considering it's age but there isn't a lot of people from PA playing it anymore. Which is standard procedure if you've been playing a game for a very long time...and they have.

It's Middle Earth, and you can roam wherever you want (as long as you can survive the baddies) so why wouldn't you play it for a bit. It's why I am keeping it installed and updated.

• Options
    The thread title is just cause the guy who founded the guild decided to dissolve the guild in some symbolic act.

• Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    If nothing else, I recommend rolling a hobbit and running through Shire. Fantastic experience, and as far as I know Shire is a free zone, so you can try it without paying $$$.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The thread title is just cause the guy who founded the guild decided to dissolve the guild in some symbolic act.

I dissolved the kinship because I'm tired of having to pay attention to it. It was deader than a doornail and had no reason to still exist.

• Options
    KassKass Registered User regular
    Ah... I have fond memories of this game and goofing around with TBS. I'm sad the kinship is gone, but at the same time, I haven't played in nearly a year (didn't pick up the latest expansion or anything). Maybe when we can run around Minas Tirith (or they do a massive overhaul to the graphics/gameplay... don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful game, but it is showing it's age) I'll hop back on.

I'll always enjoy the memories of staying up late at night in college, taking a break to farm some random vegetable or pipeweed, to make fun of Hjartard (Triple-B), and running around the shire delivering pies to those goddamned fat, lazy hobbits.

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Kass wrote:
    Ah... I have fond memories of this game and goofing around with TBS. I'm sad the kinship is gone, but at the same time, I haven't played in nearly a year (didn't pick up the latest expansion or anything). Maybe when we can run around Minas Tirith (or they do a massive overhaul to the graphics/gameplay... don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful game, but it is showing it's age) I'll hop back on.

I'll always enjoy the memories of staying up late at night in college, taking a break to farm some random vegetable or pipeweed, to make fun of Hjartard (Triple-B), and running around the shire delivering pies to those goddamned fat, lazy hobbits.

Yeah, we had some fond memories. Of course, if we did reform the kinship, there's a 90% chance our attempts to run an instance would inevitably result in our getting "the band" back together to rock the tavern in Bree.

Incidentally, I call dibs on the lute if the above should ever actually happen.

• Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    How is the community on this? I used to play when it first came out, maxed out at 50, and quit shortly after Mines of Moria came out, and it was thriving at that point. Has F2P killed it?

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Oh the hours I spent coming up with ridiculous things for Pheny to wear.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    cornell wrote: »
    How is the community on this? I used to play when it first came out, maxed out at 50, and quit shortly after Mines of Moria came out, and it was thriving at that point. Has F2P killed it?

I'd think it'd bring more life to it, but I can't say for sure. Game is huge and was still downloading last night.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    cornell wrote: »

There are always plenty of new players, but on my server the amount of max level players was tiny and most of them only logged on to play in their scheduled raids.

• Options
    veritas1veritas1 Registered User regular
    All hail LOTRO.

I was a huge Tolkien fan. I played this with you guys in the beginning, but haven't played in a long long time. Great game. I've never invested as much of myself into a video game as this one.

After the sad loss of the Barrovian Society, I was nostalgic and found a folder of old screenshots. Here are some memories, guys. Sorry, I can't remember who is which character, and I forget the names of most of these places.

Barrovian Society in The Great Barrow. (It was a huge pain to organize this many people with all the quests we had to do)
    ScreenShot00192.jpg

Barrovian confusion with big skulls. (East of Esteldin, the ranger camp, I think)
    ScreenShot00233.jpg

TBS attempting to grind out quests in the unholiest of unholy places, Dol Dinen.
    ScreenShot00235.jpg

And again, with more people! More organization! More rage quits!
    ScreenShot00239.jpg

In some other instance, can't remember the name of it. Ah, the miracle and horror of FMs!
    ScreenShot00256.jpg

Copy-pasta from an old LOTRO thread. Shenanigans RP made me laugh until I cry.

Dem and I decide to do some roleplaying at the Prancing Pony!
    ScreenShot00262.jpg
    ScreenShot00263.jpg

We spot a kindred RPer and decide to follow him!
    ScreenShot00264.jpg

He lights a fire and invites us to join him! What a nice guy.
    ScreenShot00265.jpg

We leave, a little creeped out, but I am so sneaky!
    ScreenShot00266.jpg

We lost him somehow, but surprise of surprises, he's back at the Pony RPing a storm! He shook us off shortly after.
    ScreenShot00269.jpg

• Options
    I remember returning to the game with f2p and Jagoda taking me into the Great barrows and obliterating everything because he wanted company while he farmed for the atat times that were fabled to drop but never really did.

• Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    A sad day.

• Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    What about the werewolf RPers behind the prancing pony?

• Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    I have very fond memories of plyaing in Moors. A lot of fun.