As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] I'll see you on the other side. The Barrovian Society 2007-2014

• Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Re: Our own vent server. It's something I've always wanted to do, just never been motivated enough to do it. I'd be all over it if you decided to put one up. I'd say just keep from posting the address here, and only share it in-game over kin chat, and/or have it use a password that you only share in-game as well. In the interest of keeping potential trolling to a minimum.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Triple B wrote: »
    Re: Our own vent server. It's something I've always wanted to do, just never been motivated enough to do it. I'd be all over it if you decided to put one up. I'd say just keep from posting the address here, and only share it in-game over kin chat, and/or have it use a password that you only share in-game as well. In the interest of keeping potential trolling to a minimum.

Ok. It'll have to be after the move in a couple of weeks but I think I'm going to set something up and I'll hook people up with the info in game. I wouldn't want to do it here because of the trolling issues.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I bought this back in Dec 07, played for a bit, and moved on, but recently for whatever reason decided to install it again (guess those monthly newsletters I ignore finally worked). I'll probably play it for a week until I get bored, but until then, guess I'll see you guys online. I'll create a character tonight and post the name, since my old one is gone.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh awesome, my character is still there, I was just on the wrong server. And he happens to be on Landroval. Even better, I'm level 18 with 96,089 of 65,338 xp for the next level. I remember it taking forever to level, part of the reason I quit, so I'm glad to see they reduced the requirements.

I'm Saredon.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh awesome, my character is still there, I was just on the wrong server. And he happens to be on Landroval. Even better, I'm level 18 with 96,089 of 65,338 xp for the next level. I remember it taking forever to level, part of the reason I quit, so I'm glad to see they reduced the requirements.

I'm Saredon.

You'll want to join the PA chat channel in-game (info in OP) and ask for an invite, if you're looking to join the kin. Hope to see ya there.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm loving my minnie. I'm sort of afraid to enter Moria though because it nearly broke me last time.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    greebzillagreebzilla Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    discovery!
    annuminas marks for the daily quests can be done with the dungeon set at lvl 40
    the one daily where you kill 30 ghosts is soloable by my LM (although i died to the first two guards since i wasnt quite ready for the 6 ghosts)

greebzilla on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    What's the best way to get decent equipment? Drops? Vendors? Crafting? Gifts from kinship members? I'm a 21 Champion and my equipment is all old and crappy.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    What's the best way to get decent equipment? Drops? Vendors? Crafting? Gifts from kinship members? I'm a 21 Champion and my equipment is all old and crappy.

at 21: Run skirmishes and get enough for the full set at the closest level to you. The other option is asking the guild for crit crafted versions of the stuff you need.

Once you get about 30 you can use the set they give you for questing in Evendim and after that the set at the beginning of Angmar will hold you well into Moria. (Hint: buy those two quest packs if you get nothing else)

Note: I despise Angmar and think Forochel is a better zone but I am a convert to going into angmar for that armor. It's awesome.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ok, Kin folk here's the deal. I originally wanted to set up the server at home but I realized I can't really keep the server on 24/7 for persoanl reasons.

This leaves me wanting to run a vent server but not really having a home for the hardware in a place I can guarantee it will stay up. So I bought us one.

We'll start off with a 20 seat and if we need more I'll bump it up.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Entaru wrote: »
    Ok, Kin folk here's the deal. I originally wanted to set up the server at home but I realized I can't really keep the server on 24/7 for persoanl reasons.

This leaves me wanting to run a vent server but not really having a home for the hardware in a place I can guarantee it will stay up. So I bought us one.

wait wait what

you bought...what? what did you buy pheny.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Triple B wrote: »

wait wait what

you bought...what? what did you buy pheny.

A 20 Seat Hosted Vent server for the Kin to use.

It's already paid for. If we use it enough in the next few months I'll lock it down for a year.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You magnificent, beautiful bastard, you! I'll get the info from you when I log in tonight.

Triple B on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Next time you're on, if you see Sangred in the kinship "who's online" list send me a tell and I'll forge you some new armor. Alternatively, in-game mail me your character name and level and I'll forge you a full set of level-appropriate armor and mail it to you.

No charge, or resources required of course.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm stoked about the vent server, I'll be sure to check it out next time I log in!

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Next time you're on, if you see Sangred in the kinship "who's online" list send me a tell and I'll forge you some new armor. Alternatively, in-game mail me your character name and level and I'll forge you a full set of level-appropriate armor and mail it to you.

No charge, or resources required of course.

That's incredibly awesome of you.

Is there a particular level of equipment I should shoot for? Like I'm almost 23 now, should I wait for, say, level 25 or 27 or whatever the next min level is? Or does it even matter? I just don't want you to spend your time and resources for something that may be outclassed soon. Unless what you can make is better than the level 23 skirmish gear. I've done a few skirmishes and gotten some stuff, so I'm not completely destitute at the moment.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    We spent a bit last night getting the Vent server working. The collective vent skills of our fellowship were a bit rusty but we have it working.

I spent a little bit this morning getting the Guest account working so we won't have to be making users for everyone. Right now Sangred, Hj and I have admin accounts but I'll be adding more later.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    We spent a bit last night getting the Vent server working. The collective vent skills of our fellowship were a bit rusty but we have it working.

I spent a little bit this morning getting the Guest account working so we won't have to be making users for everyone. Right now Sangred, Hj and I have admin accounts but I'll be adding more later.

:^: Glad we won't have to go through all that arglebargle every time we invite someone.

Triple B on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ok, I"m logging into the vent server every time I login. You Barrovians better do the same; the more, the merrier!

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ok, I"m logging into the vent server every time I login. You Barrovians better do the same; the more, the merrier!

I wish I could lime this every day for a decade.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Is there a particular level of equipment I should shoot for? Like I'm almost 23 now, should I wait for, say, level 25 or 27 or whatever the next min level is? Or does it even matter? I just don't want you to spend your time and resources for something that may be outclassed soon. Unless what you can make is better than the level 23 skirmish gear. I've done a few skirmishes and gotten some stuff, so I'm not completely destitute at the moment.

As a general rule, the critically crafted gear is almost always better than the skirmish stuff. Not that the skirmish stuff is horrible mind you, it's just that the crafted armor is so much better. The exception are the level 65 raid reward sets - those are better than the crafted level 65 armor, but up until that point, crafted armor pretty much rules the roost.

Anyhoo, if you're level 23 I'll look into making you a set of 25 (or 26, I can't remember off the top of my head what the next major tier of armor is) heavy armor.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

As a general rule, the critically crafted gear is almost always better than the skirmish stuff. Not that the skirmish stuff is horrible mind you, it's just that the crafted armor is so much better. The exception are the level 65 raid reward sets - those are better than the crafted level 65 armor, but up until that point, crafted armor pretty much rules the roost.

Anyhoo, if you're level 23 I'll look into making you a set of 25 (or 26, I can't remember off the top of my head what the next major tier of armor is) heavy armor.

I would really appreciate it.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Okay, I loaded and set up vent, now I need to find my headset. What I really want is a wireless one, but all my USB ports are occupado.

Glornt on
    LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Glornt wrote: »
    Okay, I loaded and set up vent, now I need to find my headset. What I really want is a wireless one, but all my USB ports are occupado.

Man what are you using that's taking up all your USBs? :shock:

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I would really appreciate it.

Armour forged and shipped. Wasn't sure what sort of visual style of armour you wanted, so I went with the default (ie. instead of the elven or dwarven variants).

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Couldn't you use a USB hub?

Seidkona on
  • Options
    GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Couldn't you use a USB hub?

My 3 USB ports are used for the mouse, keyboard, and cooling pad. I probably could use a hub at home, and when I take it somewhere, I generally use the laptop keyboard, so that would free a port. Now that I think of it, though, I haven't had great results with wireless devices anyway, so I think I'll just look for my current headset while looking for the papers I need to do my taxes (I wish I could just do a Geithner and say I "forgot", but I don't really want to risk being hired by the Obama administration...).

Glornt on
    LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I really need to start looking at hooking myself up with a second ager. What's the most reliable way to a symbol? Skirmishes or is there a 6-man that drops them? Don't get me wrong I love my hammer but I could use a boost at about this point.

I also think when my point allowance rolls in this weekend I'm going to buy the two LI slots so I can have more LI's on tap for their delicious Legacies.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man I love LOTRO but the inventory is such a bitch, especially now with tasks. I hate to sell task items but if I don't I end up having like 5 free spaces while I adventure =p

vamen on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    vamen wrote: »
    Man I love LOTRO but the inventory is such a bitch, especially now with tasks. I hate to sell task items but if I don't I end up having like 5 free spaces while I adventure =p

Yep. This is one reason why I'm still trying to keep all of my guys around the same level -- less of this junk to keep around. I may get my three stragglers up to 45 before getting back on my favorites just for this reason, because several items fall off at 45 (and I won't have to keep two tiers of heal/power pots, either), so I'll free up a lot of storage space. And unless they add in some higher level task stuff at some point, I don't see how I'll ever finish all of the task deeds on any of my guys (the task system started when they were all in the high 30s, I think). Actually, my main problem is holding onto old "cosmetic" gear that I'll probably never use, although I did recently thin that out a bit.

Note: The "official" task guide has some errors in it... well, at least one -- Great Scales cannot be turned in at Hrimbarg at level 45. I assume that since that's wrong, there are probably other goofs as well, and the update may have adjusted some item levels, too. Does anyone know of a reliable, current task item summary?

Glornt on
    Glorntisms
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I started tasks at 30 on my guy as well though I didn't realize there were task deeds aside from the one to complete 300 tasks which I think I'm getting close to. What level do tasks stop?

vamen on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Also, I am really running low on hotkey banks. I'm using all 5 banks and at level 48 with my burglar, I probably only have 8 or 9 slots left. Given part of that is because I bought some milestones from the store (which I wish they'd combine into a single icon), but still.

Apparently the only problems I have with the game are related to space, be they vault, shared vault or hotkeys =)

vamen on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also, I am really running low on hotkey banks. I'm using all 5 banks and at level 48 with my burglar, I probably only have 8 or 9 slots left. Given part of that is because I bought some milestones from the store (which I wish they'd combine into a single icon), but still.

Apparently the only problems I have with the game are related to space, be they vault, shared vault or hotkeys =)
    You can set up extra sidebars to dump your miscellaneous skills in. It's the only way to deal with certain classes. I really like my warden for this reason: I only have 2 bars filled with skills and potions.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Aldo wrote: »

You can set up extra sidebars to dump your miscellaneous skills in. It's the only way to deal with certain classes. I really like my warden for this reason: I only have 2 bars filled with skills and potions.

I have the main hotbar, then 3 above it, then one sidebar and one at the very top of the screen. Can you have more than the extra 5 hotbars?

vamen on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I started tasks at 30 on my guy as well though I didn't realize there were task deeds aside from the one to complete 300 tasks which I think I'm getting close to. What level do tasks stop?
    I believe 300 is the first one to give an item reward (a cloak); succeeding task cloaks are awarded at 400 and 500, which is where it ends. I've tried to make myself log in daily with different characters just to turn in tasks, but that never goes as quickly as I intend and so I end up missing lots of days. With my highest current task count still only around 120 and at least one not even to 100 yet, I can't see myself hitting 500 with any of my guys before out-leveling the (current) task system, which happens at 54 (level 49 tasks can be accepted up to 53); I'm not sure I can hit even 300 with any of them without intentionally gimping my progress, which is already slowed down by my insistence on playing every single class.

And about the hotbar thing: Aldo's right -- warden is going to be pretty much the only class where you won't have some problem. LM might be the opposite extreme -- so many skills are effective against only certain types of foes (undead, nature, ranged, etc.), so you don't want them on the main bar, except maybe you do when you're fighting those specific types... makes arranging them a pain. Minis might have as many buttons, but in that case it's mainly a matter of whether you're healing or soloing, and it's easy enough to keep attacks on the left and heals on the right.

Speaking of LM... I may have asked this before, but does anyone know if there's a way to target one's pet (LM or Cap) via the keyboard? I looked throught the key bindings and didn't see it, but I could've missed something there. I just hate having to use the mouse during combat, which means that by the time I see my pet needs healing, he's dead before I can actually get off a heal -- not a big deal against a single mob where dead pet usually means nearly dead mob, but against multiples it can make things difficult, and in any case I've always considered a dead pet to be a kind of failure (especially once you've named him), stretching back to my days as a WoW huntard (Beast Master, of course).

Glornt on
    Glorntisms
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh yeah, another option to explore regarding hotbar space is addons. The only one I currently use is Buffbars (visual display of buffs/debuffs with durations), but I know I've seen one that does stuff like loading similar items into an expandable popup, which would be ideal for those travel skills, mounts, LM pets, etc. In fact, I may have even installed one that does that, but I don't know if I've ever loaded it in-game. Or, maybe I even loaded it once but was too impatient to configure it. I think the one I looked at (and possibly installed) is TonicBars: http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info370-TonicBars.html

Glornt on
    Glorntisms
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    For the record: my 65 burglar makes do with the main bar, 3 hotbars (ctrl, alt and shift) and one sidebar. So I dunno what you're doing, but it sounds like you've got a lot of inventory stuff linked to hotbars.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    My 23 Champion uses like 8 buttons. But I have no idea what I'm doing.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    p. simple: half of them hit 1 enemy, the other half multiple enemies. nyuck nyuck nyuck

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    p. simple: half of them hit 1 enemy, the other half multiple enemies. nyuck nyuck nyuck

I thought they only had one button? Shing-Shing!

Seidkona on