As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] I'll see you on the other side. The Barrovian Society 2007-2014

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    For me it's GW2. So I understand you 100% here.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Triple B wrote: »
    I'm not going to disband it, but I don't see myself playing again. A new challenger has appeared to claim the title of "the only MMO I can be bothered to play", in the form of The Secret World.

I expect you'll be in a guild with only you online there. :P

I think you should make Glornt leader, because he's a reliable dude who won't flake out if he stops playing.

• Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    If there comes a time when the kinship is actually in a position to require its leader to be present, I'll pass it on to someone based on the input of TBS members who choose to sound off.

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    Assuming it still works the way it used to, if you don't log for over 90 days, leadership will automatically transfer to whomever is designated as the leader's successor. If that person also hasn't logged for over 90 days, then leadership is up for grabs for whomever wants it. I'm pretty sure that if you never log in again, the situation will resolve itself.

Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Or do it for Glornt. Look at that Roster. He's practically a kinship by himself.

Edit: Don't rob him of the chance to yell out in Kin chat that One of his guys made it to 75. I estimate this to be in about 4 expansions.

Wow! An optimist! 75 is the current level cap, right? You know, if I could even just narrow it down to my top three guys, I might progress at a decent rate. And I'm kind of thinking that I don't need to keep all of them around the same level... RK is currently demoted to Task Mule status, and while I don't dislike any of the classes (RK being the closest to actual dislike, let's say redundant since last minnie upgrade), I can get by without dragging out my hunter, champ, burglar, and maybe even warden (although I'm still curious about how that ranged stuff works), which leaves Cappy, LM, Guard and Minnie; given my reduced playtime, this reduction in the active portion of my roster is probably necessary, and I'll try to stick to it (but what about crafting? Hmm...). But I have more bag space now, so the Login Inventory Shuffle shouldn't be so bad now, although maybe I should make a pass or two through my inactives to pare down LI's and stuff like that.

LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
  • Options
    GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Triple B wrote: »
    I'm not going to disband it, but I don't see myself playing again. A new challenger has appeared to claim the title of "the only MMO I can be bothered to play", in the form of The Secret World.

I expect you'll be in a guild with only you online there. :P

I think you should make Glornt leader, because he's a reliable dude who won't flake out if he stops playing.

You probably shouldn't make me leader, because I'm liable to be a tyrant. Well, not a tyrant, but a monarch; I'm not big on democracy...

LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    It could be worse. I didn't get a mount until after I hit level cap in Mirkwood, and I played since launch.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I got on for a while tonight with each of my guys -- checking mail, making sure housing maintenance is paid up, doing some of the horsie things with my captain, etc. It was nice to see a bit of a crowd in Bree, and there was a group of about 20-30 overly serious roleplayers from some non-TBS kinship staging some sort of equestrian formation practice in the festival area between Bree and the Horsefields. Our kinship may be dormant, but the Landroval server isn't dead.

Glorntisms
  • Options
    Landroval is just about as strong as it's always been. the community there has always been amazing.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Yeah. The "community" at the prancing pony. All runnin' around in animal masks...

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Yeah. The "community" at the prancing pony. All runnin' around in animal masks...

We don't like to talk about the "werewolf" incident.

• Options
    Landroval is just about as strong as it's always been. the community there has always been amazing.

Eh...It's still a much better community than you get in most MMOs, but it's nothing like what it was before F2P.

• Options
    Eh...It's still a much better community than you get in most MMOs, but it's nothing like what it was before F2P.
    Yep. F2P/Cash Shop may have been a "good business decision" (in the short run), but it definitely degraded the game overall. Still, I didn't find non-F2P SWTOR to be an improvement; I'd pop back over to Azeroth before flying back to post-Coruscant SWTOR, and I don't feel like shopping around for another game, either. When I play MMOs, it's going to be LOTRO, the only question being how often that is.

Glorntisms
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    So with the this now on Steam I downloaded it again and have access to 5 of my 7 characters. I'm interested in playing again, but would like to have people to play with. So anyone still playing and wanna remind me how to play? I have a 41 Burglar some other classes in the 20's I think. I'm going to be F2P but I think I have some Turbine points to spend. Shoot me a Steam msg if you wanna play?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Glornt wrote: »
    Yep. F2P/Cash Shop may have been a "good business decision" (in the short run), but it definitely degraded the game overall. Still, I didn't find non-F2P SWTOR to be an improvement; I'd pop back over to Azeroth before flying back to post-Coruscant SWTOR, and I don't feel like shopping around for another game, either. When I play MMOs, it's going to be LOTRO, the only question being how often that is.

I guess it kind of depends on whether game exists > game doesn't exist anymore isn't more important than game is awesome and subscription > game is less awesome and f2p.

• Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I remember someone (probably Sapience) stating repeatedly that LOTRO was doing fine as a sub model MMO, it was just that they anticipated higher revenues from their f2p model, based on their experience with DDO.

Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    Would it have continued to do fine at the rate that content was coming out Pre-F2P?

• Options
    Yeah. There's doing fine "right now" and then "being profitable enough in the long run that we continue to get development dollars and support from the parent company to be a priority as a game."

• Options
    Of course their company men are going to say that they were "doing fine", even if they actually saw the f2p model as their only way to survive. If it was necessary, that's the way it has to be, but it does change the focus of the developers. Instead of keeping people interested enough to keep subscribing and buying expansions, now their focus has to involve herding players into the cash shop. There's no way that shift in focus doesn't affect the game, and mostly not in a positive way. If it was a deal-breaker, though, I wouldn't still be playing it. What am I going to do, go back to WoW, which even without a cash shop has cheapened itself even more?

I leveled my mini today -- he's my #4 now, and I'm going to try to stay focused on just those top 4 for as long as I can. I do like what I've seen of the Moria revamp.

Glorntisms
  • Options
    New patch: http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Update_7.2,_Official

Biggest new features: dummies showing off store items in all cities and a new festival in Shire.

• Options

Biggest new features: dummies showing off store items in all cities and a new festival in Shire.

I see. . .

• Options

I see. . .

Yeah. . .

• Options
    TamorlaneTamorlane Gnnr The Halls of MontezumaRegistered User regular

It is....something

9Bsj5.jpg?1

• Options
    Everyone is fired.

• Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    If they let me put these in my house, I would actually, finally purchase in-game housing.

Also, they should have a dwarf dummy with various different tacked on beards.

Cobell on
  • Options
    A couple more decoration hooks and increased storage space would also be nice for housing.

Also: Mini now at 57, approaching 58. Yeah, not a big deal for most people, but it's at least a sign that I've managed to stick with a single character for several sessions in a row. Of course, when he hits 58, it'll be time to catch up my guardian, and then back to my cappy and LM. Who knows? By the time Rohan hits, I may actually have a character at the pre-Isengard level cap!

Glorntisms
  • Options
    Glornt wrote: »
    A couple more decoration hooks and increased storage space would also be nice for housing.

Also: Mini now at 57, approaching 58. Yeah, not a big deal for most people, but it's at least a sign that I've managed to stick with a single character for several sessions in a row. Of course, when he hits 58, it'll be time to catch up my guardian, and then back to my cappy and LM. Who knows? By the time Rohan hits, I may actually have a character at the pre-Isengard level cap!
    Leveling speed increases after lv58 (basically, the moment you step out of Moria, shit you take some big steps very rapidly and you also get multiple options of where to level up again). Your biggest challenge will now be to get enough Moria/Loth/Mirk coins to get some decent gear. Crafted gear will be a chore to craft, while a few runs through the instances of Moria will get you similar gear but with set rewards. For Mini you can check out: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Song-caller's_Armour which would take you only a few hours. Try to grab as many instance quests from Moria, because handing all the ones from a single instance in can net you a level's worth of EXP.

• Options
    That dummy on the left needs to take off Phen's hat. That hat can only be worn when the beard is strong.

• Options
    That dummy on the left needs to take off Phen's hat. That hat can only be worn when the beard is strong.

He's keeping it warm for you. >.>

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    Just signed up and rolled a hobbit thief--uh, I mean "burglar". I'm looking forward to exploring the game world, and maybe even running into one of you after I've leveled up a few times.

• Options
    TrekkieTrekkie Registered User regular
    my rune keeper is at level 39, wondered where everyone went when I bother to log on every month or so and grind for a while.

Eve Online: Zareph
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    After playing around as a F2P after having subbed when it first came out, I didn't like the model and am not in the position to pay for a Sub so I've given up for the time being. Instead, a friend, bought me Diablo III so I could play Coop with him. Some friend!?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    Hobbit burglar--Dikt the Wary--is about lvl 5 now. I'm enjoying this much more than the few levels of WoW I tried. The game feels much more immersive, and I feel like my actions make a difference in the world: preparing Archet to defend against Blackwold attackers, instead of merely collecting pelts and ore, even though mechanically I'm doing pretty much the same thing.

• Options
    TamorlaneTamorlane Gnnr The Halls of MontezumaRegistered User regular
    For the official record - Jousting is a pain in the ass.

• Options
    honkytonkhonkytonk Registered User regular
    Is the Society still accepting people? I've been looking for members when I'm on, but haven't succeeded yet.

• Options
    If you're lucky enough to find an officer playing the game, sure.

• Options
    It's not much of a society these days, but if you want in, I can see about getting on for an invite -- give me a time between 6 and 11pm Tuesday through Thursday (CDT) -- or 8:30-11pm Monday or Friday -- and I should be able to get on long enough to do the invite.

Or, if you're not on the PA channel (see top of thread), look for any of my characters (see sig below) -- only Clontarf and Theorwald are officers, but if I'm on with one of my mere enlisted men, I'll probably be in the middle of inventory shuffling, so let me know and I can switch to one of my officers.

I leveled my mini again. You know what else makes that xp bar move faster? Going into areas where the mobs are white/yellow/orange rather than blue/green. The quests in such areas also make that bar zip along, too; even made my very first entry into Lothlorien, but didn't start questing there yet. I took out my RK briefly to turn in some task junk and was 3 polished wings away from a final turn-in, so I did a little bit of bird-hunting right around Echad Mirobel, and noticed that a couple of skills have had their attunement requirements lowered, which is kind of nice, but he's still my #9. I think it's time for Theo to get to 60 next.

Glorntisms
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Is the dungeon-finder any better? I might be tempted to play some more if I could have a reasonable chance of finding decent groups for Barrows etc.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Septus wrote: »
    Is the dungeon-finder any better? I might be tempted to play some more if I could have a reasonable chance of finding decent groups for Barrows etc.

It's not really used, just /joinchannel GLFF

Aldo on
  • Options
    Farmer's Faire event is now live. Time to score some more digital swag.

There's also a lot of new dev journals out for the upcoming RoR expansion. Lots of talk about mounted combat and some techie stuff about class changes (burglars get an improved Mischief stance, again. That last overhaul was not impressive enough)