As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] I'll see you on the other side. The Barrovian Society 2007-2014

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I hadn't noticed because I subbed. Hmm.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Me either because of the lifetime. If they changed the skill system this way simply to force f2p era players to pay for skills that's the exact opposite of what is good f2p design and fells really slimey on their part.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Turbine/WB really has no qualms with Pay 2 Win. On the other hand: the game is so easy that you don't even need all that extra power to get through the game just fine. =/

• Options
    Yeah, but cockblocking skills, which are level up rewards, is one of the more shitty things I've seen them do.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    It's probably the shittiest if you take in in context that they probably redesigned the skill system, not for the health of the game, but for a way to monetize actual character development.

I am honestly upset about this. More than the premium wallet thing.

Does it effect me? No. That doesn't make it alright though.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    The note also says that they converted Class Trait & Legendary Class Trait unlocks to Bonus Skill unlocks. To me it seems that they took away the Trait locks, which F2P & premium had to pay for, and replaced them with bonus skills, which F2P & premium have to pay for. The internal math probably works out to about the same for the skill bonuses, just in a more obvious place, so more people will buy them.
    Note: I'm a subscriber so don't see this anyway and also hadn't played for almost 2 years prior to HD, so my interpretation is just based on the info that Darkewolfe posted.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well 95 points wouldn't be that hard to come up with for a new char doing trait unlocks/traits. Still sucks but its not like 1k or anything.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well 95 points wouldn't be that hard to come up with for a new char doing trait unlocks/traits. Still sucks but its not like 1k or anything.

It's 95 points 7 times, so 665 Turbine points.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    665TP is a lot of grinding.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Yeahp, I'm "Free2Play" although I guess I have spent some money on the game? I bought Wardents and Rune-Keepers

I just got really confused because I was all "Oh hey this guardian talent tree can tank with a two-hander! I love that!"

"Wait why can't I block...wait I need to pay turbine points to block?"

"I must have fucked something up!"

Apparently not!

Hm

• Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    Why I gotta be a shitbird?

It's a term of endearment.

Also, I had a hard time understanding all that about skills being locked behind store purchases. I'm premium and I didn't have to buy shit.

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    hrmpf term of endearment hrmpf

I was just on and have discovered I have been bumped down from VIP...I immediately pulled out my wallet...then I thought I would see how people on the other side of the tracks live.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    The note also says that they converted Class Trait & Legendary Class Trait unlocks to Bonus Skill unlocks. To me it seems that they took away the Trait locks, which F2P & premium had to pay for, and replaced them with bonus skills, which F2P & premium have to pay for. The internal math probably works out to about the same for the skill bonuses, just in a more obvious place, so more people will buy them.
    Note: I'm a subscriber so don't see this anyway and also hadn't played for almost 2 years prior to HD, so my interpretation is just based on the info that Darkewolfe posted.

Yeah, this.

When I played last year I paid for a single month of VIP to unlock a bunch of different things. Note that when they say that VIP customers get them unlocked, they mean that they're unlocked forever.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Ok, that's less offensive.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    So Turbine has officially announced that you should uninstall Pando Media Booster because it has gone from kinda malwarey to totally malwarey. So if you have it, do that, I guess.

• Options
    Yea an old version got hacked or somesuch. Ive been telling folks for years to always uninstall Pando after use, so I feel pretty clever right now.

• Options
    I think everyone in the world, except the companies using it, has always felt really uneasy with Pando. I'm amazed it managed to continue to be used for so long.

• Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    Been fun leveling a Ranger with some friends. They have really tweaked quite a bit, and once you get used to the timing, the combat feels more responsive than I remember. Gotta love having bought the Lifetime sub back in the day :3

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I think everyone in the world, except the companies using it, has always felt really uneasy with Pando. I'm amazed it managed to continue to be used for so long.

What is it?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

What is it?

It's a torrent-based application for updating software that always seems to be running when you don't think it ought to be, and always seems to get installed without your permission.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

What is it?

It's a torrent-based application for updating software that always seems to be running when you don't think it ought to be, and always seems to get installed without your permission.

Basically, some companies like turbine use it as a download manager so they can leech your bandwidth instead of using up their own.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

What is it?

Basically, some companies like turbine use it as a download manager so they can leech your bandwidth instead of using up their own.

But most importantly, they never say in a clear manner, "Hey, we're installing this software to help keep your subscription costs down by sharing patches this way."

You just look at your bandwidth or memory usage and wonder, "What the fuck is going on in the innards here? What the fuck is PANDO? GODDAMNIT LOTRO."

• Options
    Pandora made itself more obvious a few years ago and fixed its behaviour after downloads. But its still a flaky 3rd party downloader with bad security.

• Options
  • Options
    Waaaaat.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I can finally play as the half-ringwraith I've always wanted to!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    Oh boy! With my well-known alt-itis, a new class might be just what I need to get interested in this game again. Already tired of the new monk class in WoW, but have been having fun with druid, shaman and paladin. Also, I got a new rig that should be able to use max settings on LOTRO (and it already looked really good before).

LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
  • Options
    http://cstm.us/1hDoJEp

New class is Beorning

• Options
    Awesome and also somewhat unloreish since all of them but Beorn are dead.

Still, cool class choice.

• Options
    I don't think they hold to lore as much as they used to. They used to pride themselves on sticking so tightly to it but that's been slipping as time has gone on.

Sad really but on the other side of it the game has needed another control class for a while and this sounds like it's be fun to play.

• Options
    This distancing from lore also opens another class option: Ents. They're more common than beornlings.

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    I hope the next class they make is Maiar. There were more Maiar in the books than beornings.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fuck it, $500 and you can play a Valar.

• Options
    edited April 2014

Or for our more economically-minded players, for $250 you can play as Gandalf.

On a serious note, I'll definitely try out a Beorning. My account's been sitting there with one empty character slot for years because I hate burglars.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Triple B wrote: »

Or for our more economically-minded players, for $250 you can play as Gandalf.

On a serious note, I'll definitely try out a Beorning. My account's been sitting there with one empty character slot for years because I hate burglars.

I'll try them out. I have a slot as well.

Edit: I'd also pay the $250 and Make Phenydalf the Pearlescent.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Mah house got repossessed!

Also, is the house chest now connected to your bank vault?

• Options
    How the hell did your house get repossessed? That's got to be a new thing they started doing. Used to be you could let that shit sit unpaid for for ages and when you went to the maintenance screen, you'd just owe $Texas.

• Options
    Gotta justify the fact that you can buy time on the LOTRO store for housing now. . .

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Yeah when I logged in I was backed up about a month or less. Cant remember the exact time but there was the "threatening" messages appearing regarding paying your rent ;)