As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cry Havok and let loose the dogs of the [Military Thread]

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    Cool, thanks you guys! I am mostly looking at CTR as my first choice and CTI as my second. I was told you don't get to pick between them until boot camp and even the it's not in your hands? Is that true?

It shouldn't be. They're two completely different rates. Also I'm back to regular internet access so if you have anymore CTI or even CTR questions let me know. I'm always happy to talk about what I can.

Edit: Well, not COMPLETELY different. There's some overlap but it's generally a CTI getting cross trained in to doing CTR work, not the other way around.

@Quid

Oh, so you can pick CTR before taking off for boot? Cause someone said you pick CT and then rank what you want out of the rate that fall under CT and then list your top three and they pick for you.

Also, did you do anything to prepare for boot camp? How hard is CTR school? I've heard how hard CTI/CTN is, but if you know anything about CTR, that'd be lovely.

I think my final question is about the barracks. How bad are they? I think that will motivate me the most to get to whatever pay grade I need to get to to be able to live on my own. I haven't shared a room since I was 13, and being 24 and having roomies in one space would probably be bit weird to adjust to. Does each room get a bathroom of their very own? Are the beds just cots? Is there a place to lock your stuff up?

You should definitely get to pick. They're wholly different jobs. It'd be like telling someone to rank if they want to be in business administration or a mural artist then to sign the dotted line and hope they get what they want. Do not, absolutely do not, sign the enlistment contract without a rate guarantee. Which shouldn't be an issue since Navy stopped the undesignated program some time back.

As for barracks, they're fine. The ones in whatever A school you go to will suck but that's generally a given since you're still in limbo between boot camp and real Navy. Two people to a room, communal bathroom, etc. After that though the normal set up until you're allowed to move out is two private rooms that share a minimal kitchenette and bathroom. In the more populate bases there's generally a communal kitchen so people can cook if they prefer and it's easy enough to hide a George Foreman grill or crock pot even if there's not. When I was single I actually really liked it once I was rooming with a friend. The only downfall was all your housing allowance disappears for a very minimalist, utilitarian room.

It's always beds and there's sometimes a cabinet you can lock but it's not necessary since you have a door with a lock already. In A school there'll be giant cabinet/closet that locks since you'll probably be sharing a room.

I'll ask my R brancher buddies how tough A school was for them when I see them today.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Oh man as a nuke I'm now a bit jealous of you CTs; we still put a preference and hope the whims of the Navy correspond. Granted I'm a dumbshit who volunteered to be a submarine EM... 8.5 years later and not a day passes I don't regret that at least a little.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Oh man as a nuke I'm now a bit jealous of you CTs; we still put a preference and hope the whims of the Navy correspond. Granted I'm a dumbshit who volunteered to be a submarine EM... 8.5 years later and not a day passes I don't regret that at least a little.

Oh go bitch about your bonuses.
    That will never be worth all the time on a submarine.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Eh, not getting to pick your exact rate is certainly a thing. I wouldn't be too sure about what you are saying, Quid.

You got to pick because you were cross-rating from a different rate. It's not like that for most technical rates when you enter at the bottom rung.

I got the rate I wanted, probably because they just went down the list alphabetically. But Nav-Ets, Radiomen, FTs and Sonar Techs all come from the same pool and they just assign you a rate at subschool.

If the rate is part of a group of rates or subset, I would bet money on you not actually getting to pick your exact rate.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Eh, not getting to pick your exact rate is certainly a thing. I wouldn't be too sure about what you are saying, Quid.

You got to pick because you were cross-rating from a different rate. It's not like that for most technical rates when you enter at the bottom rung.

I got the rate I wanted, probably because they just went down the list alphabetically. But Nav-Ets, Radiomen, FTs and Sonar Techs all come from the same pool and they just assign you a rate at subschool.

If the rate is part of a group of rates or subset, I would bet money on you not actually getting to pick your exact rate.

This is how we did the ct equivalent mos as well.

• Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Well I completed Warrior Forge 2012 this summer! One more year till I become a 2LT!

• Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    Congrats, my man!

• LaemkralLaemkral Captain Punch King Chester, VARegistered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    Well I completed Warrior Forge 2012 this summer! One more year till I become a 2LT!

Well done! That's really the biggest hurdle, your MS IV year will be all about learning roles on staff (kinda sorta) and preparing you to teach/coach/mentor. It'll also be about reinforcing the principles you learned as an MS III by having you teach it back to the next class. Stay focused, keep asking as many questions as you can, and try to get the most out of being on the other side of the training. It can be a real eye opener. If you have any questions about branching and assignments, feel free to drop me a PM. It's been a few years now since I was a cadet, but I still remember a good deal about it and may be able to offer you insights into where you should ask to go based on what branch you get. I'm Transportation, btw, and highly recommend it.

Avatar courtesy of MKR, and the strip I appeared in.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm facepalming right now. I worked aggressively to find post grad employment waaaaayyyy before I got the news of the delay. I offered to help my newly graduated classmate replace me at my job to be my replacement as well as introduce him to other employers willing to work with him since he has a similar degree and TS clearance.

...only to find out he counted so heavily on the USAF immediately after graduation that he doesn't have a resume.

I'm still going to help him and teach him resume building but...jesus. Kids these days.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    So wait, I'm confused. Are we saying that I won't get to pick CTR right out of the gate and be guaranteed that rate?

CT definitely doesn't work like that. I first applied directly for CTI specifically before joining and only didn't get it because I failed the DLAB. Others were offered but took too long of a wait. The people I work with all went for a specific CT rate that was offered by the recruiter.

• Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Laemkral wrote: »

Well done! That's really the biggest hurdle, your MS IV year will be all about learning roles on staff (kinda sorta) and preparing you to teach/coach/mentor. It'll also be about reinforcing the principles you learned as an MS III by having you teach it back to the next class. Stay focused, keep asking as many questions as you can, and try to get the most out of being on the other side of the training. It can be a real eye opener. If you have any questions about branching and assignments, feel free to drop me a PM. It's been a few years now since I was a cadet, but I still remember a good deal about it and may be able to offer you insights into where you should ask to go based on what branch you get. I'm Transportation, btw, and highly recommend it.

I did Transportation when I was enlisted. I was a 88N back in the day. I didn't mind the AIT training for it, but on the Reserve side I never had a chance to actually utilize the skills I learned because all we did was typical reserve stuff while in garrison (classes, PMCSing vehicles, range, etc.) I was originally putting in for Aviation and Medivac, but my PMS decided that I'm not competitive enough for these slots so she wouldn't let me take the flight physical or AFAST.

Overall though I'm at a 3.2 GPA, 300 APFTs across the board, 84% Land Nav, and an overall S at Camp (Four Dimensional Es with a Overall E in Garrison), but for PMS reviews I was rated as straight S's with an E in PF and I was ranked 11/20 for the class. I'm putting in for Med Service as my 1. w/ an ADSO, Signal as 2, and my mandatory Combat Arms are yet to be determined.

Sounds like you've got a pretty solid score on everything, so I wouldn't worry too much about not getting what you want, especially with an ADSO. It's a shame your PMS wouldn't let you do the flight physical. Good luck to you on accessions.

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I have a question for the Navy Officers. If I wanted to ram a destroyer with a giant oil tanker, how could I arraign that?

• TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    I have a question for the Navy Officers. If I wanted to ram a destroyer with a giant oil tanker, how could I arraign that?

Yes, arraign is probably the right word. -.-

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Update on everything: 1SG has a line of complaints out the door besides this (forcing soldiers to break profile, in one instance resulting in a reinjured knee that was just sewn up a month ago). One soldier, one I have never had a problem with, doesn't like the fact that he randomly goes up behind people, chokes then out, and fake-stabs them in the chest with a padded wooden rod while holding them in said choke. Forcing a 12 mile ruck in full kit during CAT5 heat that went against the training schedule. Man, I'm so glad I'm convalescing.

• VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Update on everything: 1SG has a line of complaints out the door besides this (forcing soldiers to break profile, in one instance resulting in a reinjured knee that was just sewn up a month ago). One soldier, one I have never had a problem with, doesn't like the fact that he randomly goes up behind people, chokes then out, and fake-stabs them in the chest with a padded wooden rod while holding them in said choke. Forcing a 12 mile ruck in full kit during CAT5 heat that went against the training schedule. Man, I'm so glad I'm convalescing.

lolwat?

I just... what?

Your unit has some issues.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!

What the fuck?!? How has he not been relieved??? I can almost see him getting by on the ruck march (except for the fact that it violated the training schedule, but that's not really a relievable offense itself) if there were proper precautions in place like trained medical personnel with evac vehicle, forced hydration, and many back up plans for the multitude of things that could and would go wrong.

But forcing Soldiers to break profile is a BIG no-no for the very reason provided: people get hurt again. Randomly choking people out should also have been enough for someone to go "Hold the fucking phone, get this guy out of that job." Especially if he then fake stabs people. What's even the point of that? To spread "situational awareness"? You're the god damn 1SG, act like it. I'd expect that kind of behavior from an E5 or immature E6, who I would then have counseled regarding improper behavior.

This plus the prayer breakfast....relief for cause. If I was that 1SG's commander I'd be going to the CSM within 24 hours and saying "Get me a new 1SG because I am relieving my current one, S1 can expect the NCOER tomorrow morning for the BC's review." No joke, that guy needs to NOT be around Soldiers with that kind of behavior.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    So, any tips on the AFOQT, anyone? Have to take it for ROTC now that I'm back from Field Training.

I hear it's really tame, but still, every bit counts. Want it to look really good.

So, any tips on the AFOQT, anyone? Have to take it for ROTC now that I'm back from Field Training.

I hear it's really tame, but still, every bit counts. Want it to look really good.

Uh, go fast? The content is not challenging. They just give you very little time. And go REALLY fast on the table reading. You might have to guess on a few at the end, just have an answer for everything.

Do your best on all the sections even if you're not going for Pilot or Nav, because good scores across the board > good scores in quant/verbal.

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Laemkral wrote: »

What the fuck?!? How has he not been relieved??? I can almost see him getting by on the ruck march (except for the fact that it violated the training schedule, but that's not really a relievable offense itself) if there were proper precautions in place like trained medical personnel with evac vehicle, forced hydration, and many back up plans for the multitude of things that could and would go wrong.

But forcing Soldiers to break profile is a BIG no-no for the very reason provided: people get hurt again. Randomly choking people out should also have been enough for someone to go "Hold the fucking phone, get this guy out of that job." Especially if he then fake stabs people. What's even the point of that? To spread "situational awareness"? You're the god damn 1SG, act like it. I'd expect that kind of behavior from an E5 or immature E6, who I would then have counseled regarding improper behavior.

This plus the prayer breakfast....relief for cause. If I was that 1SG's commander I'd be going to the CSM within 24 hours and saying "Get me a new 1SG because I am relieving my current one, S1 can expect the NCOER tomorrow morning for the BC's review." No joke, that guy needs to NOT be around Soldiers with that kind of behavior.

I have no idea. Like I said, the last year of my time will be focused squarely on getting admitted to OU, getting a good job up in OKC, and making sure my transition is as seamless and easy as possible for both myself and my family.

I'm broken, I can't wear my gear for more than 20 minutes without a break, I'm ineligible for field duty, and I've been passed over for deployments left and right. I was passed up for WLC when I was healthy and kickin' ass. The Army had their chance with me, and now I'm takin all the shit they say I can have. So whatever the hell goes down at this unit, I don't care, I'm just done and I'm ready to move on.

Fuck that is messed up. Time to start dropping love notes to the IG man.

• JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    JWFokker wrote: »
    So what are the odds that after going through BCT and AIT that I will be deployed overseas right off the bat? My fiance is concerned that it might be 12-18 months before I see her again.

Do you have an MOS yet?

I'm 12N (Horizontal Construction Engineer). Still wondering about this. Haven't been able to find any solid info on this via Google.

Getting married at the end of September and going to BCT at the end of November. I won't see her for at least six months because AIT is only 10 weeks for me so we can't relocate until I'm done with both. She is worried that I'm going to be deployed somewhere she can't go soon after I finish AIT and it'll be a year or more until we're back together as a result.

JWFokker on
    JWFokker wrote: »

I'm 12N (Horizontal Construction Engineer). Still wondering about this. Haven't been able to find any solid info on this via Google.

Getting married at the end of September and going to BCT at the end of November. I won't see her for at least six months because AIT is only 10 weeks for me so we can't relocate until I'm done with both. She is worried that I'm going to be deployed somewhere she can't go soon after I finish AIT and it'll be a year or more until we're back together as a result.

Okay, horizontal construction is the heavy equipment that clears out areas and preps for vertical construction which is building, though I'm sure you've seen this http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/browse-career-and-job-categories/construction-engineering/construction-equipment-operator.html already. If you're not sure what that means in terms of actual duties, type of unit you'll go to, etc. then ask away and I'll try to be as helpful as I can. I am not, however, an Engineer and so my knowledge of Engineer units will be based entirely on my experience with them and what I can dig up through some of the information systems. Expect to operate heavy machinery and possibly the trucks that HAUL the heavy machinery.

Odds of you deploying are entirely dumb luck and depends upon what unit you're assigned to and what their rotation is on what's called "the patch chart". It's basically the big board of who is deploying and when in the ARFORGEN (Army Force Generation) cycle. Based off that timeline, you've got slim odds at deploying because of the whole "out by 2014" they're trying to do with Afghanistan. It's likely that'll just be "combat forces" and all the sustainment and support folks will still be there and everyone who actually IS a trigger puller will just be there in an "advise and assist" role, like with Iraq.

Do you have any idea yet where you're going to go? I'm not sure when in the process enlisted personnel get cut their assignment orders (I'd assume it's during AIT) but I also believe sometimes you can get choice of duty station when you enlist. If you know even that, it's easy to get an idea of if you might deploy based upon the rotation for the units there. There's just about nowhere you'll be stationed where she won't be able to follow you to some extent. To my knowledge, even Korea has accompanied tours available.

Worst case scenario is this: you get stationed somewhere and the unit is on the short list to deploy. You will still be able to move yourself and your wife there, get a place to live, and get to see her for a few weeks to a few months before the unit deploys.

I am absolutely fucking boggled.

I'm hoping to board for supervisor this week. While it'll be too late for me to deploy as one I've done all the work as a U/I and it's still a good qualification to have which will definitely help me out in the long run. And now there's a commotion because the chief in charge of training doesn't think it should happen since it won't benefit the shop if I can't even help alleviate deployments for supes.

And that makes no sense at all to me. So what? Last I checked I didn't stop signing/helping people with quals just because it wasn't going to personally benefit me avoid deploying anymore. Never mind that it does help them to be able to say X number of people qualified under them.

And wargle bargle.

I'm hoping to board for supervisor this week. While it'll be too late for me to deploy as one I've done all the work as a U/I and it's still a good qualification to have which will definitely help me out in the long run. And now there's a commotion because the chief in charge of training doesn't think it should happen since it won't benefit the shop if I can't even help alleviate deployments for supes.

And that makes no sense at all to me. So what? Last I checked I didn't stop signing/helping people with quals just because it wasn't going to personally benefit me avoid deploying anymore. Never mind that it does help them to be able to say X number of people qualified under them.

And wargle bargle.

So nukes now HAVE to qualify EWS to make E7, and commands are STILL withholding that qualification based on time before transfer, etc. It's super fucked up.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    EWS? Do you mean ESWS?

Prior to making E-7?

Engineering Watch Supervisor.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    edited August 2012
    Anyone familiar with Army ROTC Accessions? I'm trying to figure out if I have a good shot at Active Duty. I had a 3.18 GPA, 300 APFT for all PT Tests, did okay at camp with a 6/8 for Day Land Nav and a 4/5 for Night, overall I had four Es and an overall E for garrison leadership. As for TAC Potential the TACs rated me top 15 for my platoon while at the homefront my PMS rated me 11/20 and this time around I'll probably still be 10-11/16 since we lost a bunch of Cadets this summer at camp and to DUIs.

Overall I'm freaking out because I gambled everything on getting AD. Not sure what I can do with a history degree other then become a hipster and work as a barrista at Starbucks with a $40k piece of paper.

Waffles or whatever on
    edited August 2012
    not going to pretend I know anything compared to Laemkral about this topic.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    edited August 2012
    Anyone familiar with Army ROTC Accessions? I'm trying to figure out if I have a good shot at Active Duty. I had a 3.18 GPA, 300 APFT for all PT Tests, did okay at camp with a 6/8 for Day Land Nav and a 4/5 for Night, overall I had four Es and an overall E for garrison leadership. As for TAC Potential the TACs rated me top 15 for my platoon while at the homefront my PMS rated me 11/20 and this time around I'll probably still be 10-11/16 since we lost a bunch of Cadets this summer at camp and to DUIs.

Overall I'm freaking out because I gambled everything on getting AD. Not sure what I can do with a history degree other then become a hipster and work as a barrista at Starbucks with a $40k piece of paper.

It's been a while, but I'll try to offer what advice I can.

Your GPA is alright, your PT score is solid, and your camp score is pretty solid too. Your rankings aren't the best, but the impact that has matters less. It's really all about who is top 10% and the rest is...meh. In the end, what it boils down to is how all those points make you rank nationally. What is your ranking on the national scale? From there, it becomes a lot easier to figure out how you'll do and what your odds are on getting different branches and/or assignments.

I wouldn't worry too much, you sound like to me you'll end up with a good solid ranking. You definitely out performed a friend of mine who had been borderline and barely missed RA and ended up in the National Guard. When national rankings come out, talk to your PMS and they'll have a better feel for stuff based off past accession cycles and what they have been told by higher. If I had to make a gut assessment, I'd say you were going to walk away with Active Duty.

IF things go to shit and you do not get Active status, here's some things you should start doing right off the bat.
    1. Ask again. Go back to your PMS and ask if there's anything they can do to get you relooked at for Active. You never know what strings can get tugged to nudge a couple people above the cutoff.
    2. Guard/Reserves gives you the opportunity to pick your branch. Start finding units nearby in the branch you want and talk directly to their commanders. If they have an opening for an LT, getting their approval to join the unit GUARANTEES that branch. I had a few people switch to Reserves so they could get the branch they wanted, that was what mattered most to them. If you don't do this you become needs of the Army based off what's in your area and that is very very risky.
    3. Remember it is not the end of the world, it is still possible to transition to Active Duty. Start asking about the process right away. Usually you have to wait a year, but the sooner you start the sooner you can get on the oath to active service.
    4. Start asking about Active Guard/Active Reserve status and how you can go about getting that. No shit, there are USAR/ARNG people on active duty status all over the country and even overseas in Europe, Korea, and CENTCOM. Being your unit's Active Guard person means a full time job, even if it's mostly admin work. Hard to get as an LT, but you never know until you ask.
    5. History degrees are all about being able to sort through information, assess it, and write a report on it. Glamorous? Hardly. Versatile? Surprisingly. You just need to be creative and start hitting up local companies and see what they have available. Most big companies need folks who are willing to sit and writer reports or catalogue information and what have you. Just be prepared for the mind numbing ness while you keep applying to abug Army to bring you up to the big leagues.

But above all else, stay positive and assured that you can do it. Whatever happens, be upbeat and motivated and trust that things can and will work out if you apply yourself. I didn't get my first choice and ended up in my eighth choice. I have never looked back and am glad things went the way they did, I would have been miserable in my first choice.

Good luck to you in the coming months and I look forward to hearing that another fine LT has joined the ranks and that you got what you wanted.

Laemkral on
    Yeah, I did a lot of what you said. My choices were Med Service > Signal > Armor > Infantry > AG > Finance > QM as my tops. I requested an ADSO for Med Service and Signal. In addition I also requested a branch detail for Armor as well. I also volunteered for LDAC/LTC, Ranger, etc. thinking if that if I was near that cut off this board would look at my sheet and say "This guy is willing to put in a ton of extra work compared to his peers. Lets bump him". Overall, I also did Student Government for three years (elected positions including President), intermural sports, I went to Air Assault, and volunteered at a local community center for troubled youth. I'm hoping that helps out a lot.

A lot of those things at the end really do add up a few points here and there and that can be the difference between getting something or not. I think you've got a solid shot. Good luck.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    When I got my orders, they gave me an outdated phone number and said "oh, just keep calling" in regards to moving when I start active duty, and it turned out to be a contractor who handles these things who has not been a part of the process for months. After finding the real phone number, it's the guy who briefed us on setting up move.mil accounts and Pro Gear.

I kept every scrap of notes on what I need to fax in (Cover sheet, 1299, 1797, orders) for months, and I'm looking at them right now, but I don't have instructions on filling out the two forms. Does anyone know where I can find the "most reliable" instructions for the 1299 and 1797?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    My squadron just got an "outstanding" on our LCAP/MCCI inspection. Is it wrong that I couldn't give a single fuck?

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky

And wargle bargle.

HA! Fucking destroyed the board with only a few look ups and even fewer of those actually covered by the PQS. Best part was the jerk chief showing up for part of the board, watching disapprovingly, asking an entirely unrelated question, and having it dismissed as unimportant by everyone boarding me.

edited September 2012
    Well we're sending in my LDAC OMS Score in now. I scored a 79.2 this time around. I'd feel more comfortable in the 80s, but I'm feeling those PMS evals atm. Regardless, I looked at the past OML AD Cut Offs and they average between 70 to 74 range. Feeling pretty good about getting AD now. :D

Waffles or whatever on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Anyone been to afghanistan that can tell me what I should include in a care package to an infantryman that wouldn't be obvious to me given that I've only been to Iraq? I'm assuming he has enough snivel gear, and I'm sending him plenty of tobacco products, but I can't think of anything else (aside from books, snacks, hygiene products, and no-doze) and contact with him is limited at the moment.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I just sent a friend of mine a care package full of kinder eggs and rubber bouncy balls. When I send packages, it's mostly dumb little stuff to kill time with.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited September 2012
    In case you're following at home, selection rate for AF OTS was 78%!

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123318110

Iceman.USAF on
This discussion has been closed.