As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cry Havok and let loose the dogs of the [Military Thread]

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Oh and did you ever do that through layout for all of your Platoon's equipment? :)

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    Radiation wrote: »
    It gives you a trail 'hey, I tried to resolve this previously but was shutdown'. It also helps that the XO has the other set of keys, so that puts quite a bit of responsibility on his head as well.
    Perhaps he is unaware of the November requirement? I'd include that in an e-mail as well.

That's the thing. He has the only set of keys. Nobody else has keys to the location where they are stored.

If he's the only one with access, then you should hand receipt that shit over to him.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    You ever seen someone join the military to help pay off their federal student loans

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Paladin wrote: »
    You ever seen someone join the military to help pay off their federal student loans
    Yup.

Edit:
    I mean, this is the same organization where people will purposely get married just so they can reap the extra benefits.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there any way to get into the armed forces while taking meds for depression? I've heard of medical waivers but my local recruiting office didn't seem interested in me at all.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It's something that can maybe technically be done but all the branches are trying to cut back some so I'd really doubt it happening.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    It's something that can maybe technically be done but all the branches are trying to cut back some so I'd really doubt it happening.

Yeah, and mental health in the Armed Forces is....kind of weird. May be able to look into a reserve unit or something, as they may be a bit more chill about the process.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Can you get in if you're old

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    The Air Force recently raised the entry age to 39. Army is 35, Navy is 34, and Marines is 28.

Apparently the Marines hate old people.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    The Air Force recently raised the entry age to 39. Army is 35, Navy is 34, and Marines is 28.

The Marines hate all people.

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »

The Marines hate all people.

The Marines hate the Marines. It's really impressive.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Though 28 is pretty old for a lot of jobs. Even if you make the age cut off, you should really think twice about certain jobs. For example, 35 is downright ancient for anything near the line.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    For example, 35 is downright ancient for anything near the line.

THANKS buddy

geez...(er)

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    I really couldn't imagine being the 39 year old A1C taking orders from the 21 year old SSgt.

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    I was the 30-32 year old SPC taking orders from the early-20s SGTs, and most of them treated me more like a peer. Suprisingly, the 44 year old SGT gave me the most trouble, but that's because he may have literally had unacknowledged mental disabilitie(s).

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Back from my first Yakima Training Center Rodeo.

Not sure who wanted me to report about the drive there, but the drive to Yakima and back to JBLM wasn't bad. (Didn't see any highway boobies...) Yakima overall as a whole wasn't bad. Commander made most of the suck that made up Yakima (Doesn't do anything unethical, illegal, or immoral. Just isn't a person I'd follow if I had a choice)

NTC coming soon hoooo

• Options
    You didn't have to stand out of an air guard, squad leader, or VC hatch? That's probably the worst part. It gets really cold when you're going 60 mph and you're making your way through mountain passes. You must've also missed out on the horrendous winds that Yakima can receive.

Good luck in NTC!

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Since I'm designated as the "Headquarters PL" (made up position since we have too many LTs) I had the luxury of riding in an LMTV. I actually volunteered to TC a Stryker back, but the XO shot the idea down. The winds were pretty bad there in that eastern corridor (range 55, MPTR) but overall September/October wasn't terrible at Yakima. Was just starting to get really cold right before we left.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I've pretty seriously considered trying to join the reserves as a 32 year old, based on my defense IT background and current clearance as a contractor anyway. I don't know whether that background would make me appealing enough to overcome being old or not.

I also sort of wonder if I want to drop out of the work force for however long I'd be out for signal school. I'm planning to stay in defense cyber anyway, so it's all in the right career track.

Anyone have any wisdom to dispense?

Did I ask this once already?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    "Old" really only matters when it comes to physical fitness. For every job not really concerned with that (PT tests notwithstanding), added maturity is probably a good thing.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    I've always appreciated having older people in my shop, division, or department. They often understand the bigger picture a bit better than the 18-21 year olds. And atleast in the Navy, advancement will come a bit quicker. The added maturity will come through on evals and usually better study habits for the exams.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I've pretty seriously considered trying to join the reserves as a 32 year old, based on my defense IT background and current clearance as a contractor anyway. I don't know whether that background would make me appealing enough to overcome being old or not.

I also sort of wonder if I want to drop out of the work force for however long I'd be out for signal school. I'm planning to stay in defense cyber anyway, so it's all in the right career track.

Anyone have any wisdom to dispense?

Did I ask this once already?

Any reason why you would want to join though? If you want the security you could go GS, same thing if you wanted to travel a bit (tdy or getting an assignment overseas).
    Not to say no dont do it, but it would be a huge change in so many ways and you are already around the culture anyways. Also where are you at in general Darkewolfe? I was contemplating a switch over to entry network or security positions and not sure how much the pay would be.

• Options
    I'm in DC area. Pretty much every GS job I apply for i qualify, but then don't make the down select because all the spots go to veterans, which is a good thing.

I'm currently pay and experience around a GS14, to be vague.

Part of the truth is that I sort of just want to serve. As you say, I'm around the culture all the time anyway. There's a pretty big disconnect between most of my peers and myself in some ways.

The big question I'm pondering is whether I could be commissioned into signal in a way that would make me useful or not. Put another way, one of my reserve peers said, "If you do it, make it work for you because they'll definitely make you work for them."

• Options
    edited October 2015
    From what I understand Guard or Reserve gets a bit more....input into the path you take. You get to shop around to the different units, so that helps a bit. Also I can't recall what they are called any longer but there are positions where you do your time in one go and they will fly you out to the work location/put you up in lodging. It can't hurt to talk to a recruiter and shop around to the different branches as well.

Radiation on
  • Options
    @Darkewolfe I joined the active Army at 30 (3 years ago), and as long as you're physically fit and don't have a crazy medical history, there shouldn't be a problem. You looking enlisted or O?

You said signal school, have they already told you an MOS? 35Q would likely fit the defense cyber stuff you were mentioning, I don't know if they're opening 17C to reserves/guard.

imttnk.png
  • Options
    Almost certainly looking for a commission at this point. I need to hang out with a recruiter and chat out some details.

• Options
    Yeah, kind of figured with your GS level. I know less about that stuff.

imttnk.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    Glad you're getting help man, it took me 5 years of being miserable and hating my life, while ruining my wife's at the time, to realize I needed to suck it up and get help. I'm much better for it and my marriage is amazing now.

Get better brother, you deserve it.

Its been two months since I was diagnosed and got a perscription. I lost ten fucking pounds, have heightened alertness and less dependence on coffee. An ultrasound found no cancer as well. My endocrinologist wrote me a memo for the promotion board, and since he chimed him, my primary doctor concurred and wrote a memo too. I'm feeling pretty hopeful that even if I don't become a Captain, I can at least stave off a Why Should We Keep You meeting.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    VaelorVaelor Registered User regular
    Glad to hear you're feeling better!

Hopefully the other things work themselves out, especially in light of the reasonable medical cause.

• Options
    Hope you guys have a great Veterans' Day! Get drunk and be safe.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I once joked that I wished that I could go into some lab and run in the hamster wheel to figure out why I run so slow. It turns out this was likely holding back my workouts for years.

And the Pentagon really does have a program where they put you on a treadmill and all sorts of machines to analyze your BMI, blood sugar, blood lactate threshold and overall fitness in ways the other branches simply do not. The Air Force had lovely HAWCs, but, y'know.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    nvm

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    Pirate ViperPirate Viper Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any idea what the process of re-enlisting after being separated for almost 3 years is like?

I was in the Army, Was a E-5 when I ETS'd and it was an Honorable Discharge, former MOS was 35N with some Cyber ASI's.

Would I need to return to my previous MOS? If I was interested in pursing flight warrant as a career would that be an option?

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    @Pirate Viper I have no recruiter experience, but a buddy of mine is on recruiting detail in Arizona. I can get you his email if you want to ask him those questions.

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    One of my shipmates joined the navy after broken service in the marines. He lost a paygrade or two, and the time in the marines counted against his high-year tenure. That's pretty much all I know.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Pirate ViperPirate Viper Registered User regular
    @Bloodycow If that's not a hassle for your friend I would appreciate it a great deal, thanks!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Basic training questions for the Air Force peeps:

We plan to fly out for my brother in law's graduation next month. The day before graduation there's some sort of run, coin ceremony, and dinner? Is that something we can attend too? And if so would civvies or dress uniform be more appropriate for me?

• Options
    edited December 2015
    @Quid
    It's been like 10 years now. I have TI friends I can get pass on more specific questions.

Civies may be more appropriate, or wear your dress uniform to make most AF peeps uncomfortable. They really don't know other branch rank structure, and you guys have a bunch of shiny shit, so you'd possibly get saluted quite a bit.
    The run is watchable by family/friends, just a formation run of just a shit ton of people. I can't recall if family was able to see the coin ceremony, though I think they changed basic and we got our coins out in the field. Not really sure about the dinner bit.

http://www.basictraining.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=15724

Edit: Actually this article seems to sum up your ability to do/see times with him pretty well: http://www.basictraining.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=15725
    Orientation Briefings (7:00am, 9:00am): Attend either of the briefings at the Reception Center.
    *PLEASE DO NOT SURPRISE YOUR AIRMAN--parents have missed their Airman an entire day because their Airman departed on pass not knowing they had visitors.

Airman's Run (8:00am): Cheer the Airmen as they run by singing 'jodies' in flight formation

Honor Graduate Ceremony (10:45am): The Commander of Basic Military Training invites honor graduates and their families to a special ceremony in their honor prior to the start of the Airman's Coin Ceremony.

Airman's Coin Ceremony (11:00am) followed immediately by Retreat - in which we pay tribute to the flag. Meet with your Airman immediately afterwards. Most Airmen are released for Base Liberty immediately following the ceremonies. (Some Airmen may have limited visitation due to training requirements.)

Airman, Spouse and Parent Orientation (1:00pm): This orientation, which takes place at the BMT Reception Center Auditorium, provides information on tech training, pay, entitlements, benefits, and available services.

Buffet Dinner Opportunity (12:00pm-7:30pm): at Gateway Club. Airmen pay discounted price. Visitors pay full price.

End of Liberty (8:00pm): Airmen due back in their dormitory. Your Airman's commander or military training instructor may impose an earlier return time.

Radiation on
  • Options
    Its kinda weird going from a toxic environment to a positive one. I actually don't feel like shit at the end of every day and find myself actually trying to do more work and staying late because I want to stay late versus trying to be out of the office by 1700 on the dot.

• Options
    Right? I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off me.

imttnk.png
This discussion has been closed.