As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Little Blue Boy's Artings [nsfw]

ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
edited April 2014 in Artist's Corner
Hello, how are you? I am a person who likes to art things sometimes and it is fun times.

These are some things I drew 5 or so years ago.

oldscan1.jpg

oldscan1-2.jpg

oldscan1-1.jpg

I was not very good. I have worked hard since then and arted much more and now I am less not good.

A lot of the time I like to draw and paint faces.

Sometimes they are famous faces.
Thompsonf.jpg

Gaiman.jpg

waits.jpg

Sometimes they are not famous faces.

STARHATS.jpg

mamaback-1.jpg

oldman.jpg

ladydoodle.jpg

Sometimes these faces are on walls.

blowchi.jpg

Sometimes I play with vectors (but not very well).

Set1.jpg

Sometimes I doodle monsters!

monsterthingdone.jpg

monsterthing-1.gif

colourplay.jpg

Kochikuntz.jpg

McKidd.jpg
McKiddprelim.jpg

cowboy.jpg

Sometimes I do quick little studies.

doodle-2.jpg

poop.jpg

Sometimes birds land on my finger.

birdie.jpg

I am going to make an effort to complete and post more work more often. Questions, comments and criticisms would be lovely.

ChicoBlue on

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Chico you're the best at getting better.

Mustang on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    chico, you're an inspiration.

tynic on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Trying to be inspired rather than horribly discouraged by this.

The playing cardesque North/South images are fantastic, and I want the Hunter Thompson in my house.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    chico you're vomit

Kochikens on
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love the playful style of your caricatures and the way you use proportions to add emphasis. That Tom Waits portrait is so awesome.

also, seriously, that bird.

tapeslinger on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    sometimes cameras are conveniently handy when birds land on your finger...

ninjai on
    edited March 2011
    Kochikens wrote: »
    chico you're vomit

inspirational vomit

just, puking all over canvasses.

A Vomuse.

tynic on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    makes me want to play a Tom Waits videogame

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Everyone but Kochi is so lovely.

Just finished tinkering with my cowboy angel of death.

Started out just doodling around with a lovely flat textured brush. I decided that I liked the energy of this silhouette and I wanted to experiment and give more detail to the wings. I grabbed some photos, put them on an overlay layer, masked out areas and painted over some others and came up with something that I kept pretty much the same throughout the rest of the process.
    sketchcowboywings1.jpg

Here I flipped the image and changed the size of the canvas to give it a more interesting composition. I started to quickly block in a simple environment and tried to figure out an interesting lighting setup. I also threw on an overlay layer with a sort of sepia tone.
    sketchcowboywings2a.jpg

I made some minor adjustments to the figure and then began to suss out a sloppy three-point perspective with the aid of some grid brushes. I'm working on the atmospheric perspective, as well. Building things up and then pushing them back into the distance with some soft airbrushing.
    sketchcowboywings3.jpg

Here's the final after a bunch of tinkering and refinement. I wanted to keep the whole thing fairly loose to maintain the energy of the original doodle. There's still room for tinkering, though, which I might do later with fresher eyes.
    sketchcowboywingsfinal.jpg

ChicoBlue on
    edited March 2011
    Maybe its just me, but his feet claws stick out as being incredibly rigid/stiff.

Don't ask me why, cuz IDK, but I <3 revolvers.

ninjai on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the foot that is on the left of the picture is causing the trouble. It's a little too perfect of a box.

It actually reminds me of the bottom of a desk chair with wheels

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • PhthanoPhthano Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If there was ever a Magic: The Gathering expansion involving a storyline written completely by Stephen King in the style of the Dark Tower series, that would be the trademark card.

Phthano on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    these are some stellar improvements you're showing in this thread. i like the energy in some of your works. Looking forward to seeing more.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i like these

earthwormadam on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Were you joking, or are those really things you drew 5 years ago?

lyrium on
    edited March 2011
    Phthano wrote: »
    If there was ever a Magic: The Gathering expansion involving a storyline written completely by Stephen King in the style of the Dark Tower series, that would be the trademark card.

HAHAHhaha... How sad... that ... y'know........ I know exactly what you're talking about :shock:
    Yes, you're right.

ninjai on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I cannot emphasize enough how much I love those portraits
    especially thompson and waits

Tam on
    edited March 2011
    Ninjai and Futore: Thanks for the observations, I'll take them into consideration when I fiddle with it a bit more.

Phthano, Glad_Hatter, Earthwormadam: Thanks a big bunch.

Lyrium: Yes, they're around 5 years old, maybe 6.

Tam: Thank you. I've thought about going back to the Tom Waits portrait and adding in one more pass of lighter tones to help them pop out just a bit more, but I haven't gotten around to doing it. I'd go back and fiddle with most things I've done, but that's a mean trap to get caught up in.

Quick self-portrait with some lovely texture brushes
    facetexture.jpg

A speedy colour study, where I was trying to just paint without drawing anything in beforehand.
    axemanstudy.jpg

This was my weekend project. It is a study of John Singer Sargent's Lady Agnew. Like the colour study above, I made myself paint the whole thing by blocking in large areas of colour and whittling them down instead of drawing anything in first. I made myself do the whole thing without colour picking, as well. I spent a good long while fiddling with the face, but wasn't really able to nail down the proportions. She looks very doll-like in my version.
    agnew.jpg

ChicoBlue on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow, your progress is truly amazing and inspirational.
    That study is lovely, but it looks like she needs much more warm coloring on her face to match the reference.

lyrium on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    holy mother of fuck
    I'd love to give you some useful advice, chico, I really would, but I know exactly dick about painting
    all I can say is that I agree with lyrium that she needs some red in her face

Tam on
    edited March 2011
    Wait, is that analog?

Very nice Chico. ++

ninjai on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    You're painting Agnew with her torso straight towards the camera; in the original, she's facing to the left of the frame. Also, her facial proportions are rather narrow in your version, while in the original it's a bit more wide.

Also also, the lack of the reflected light from the gown onto the chair is making it seem flat. Overall (and I know you're good for this normally) pay particular attention to the quality, behaviour, and character of the light in the scene. Most of the 'flatness' here comes from ambiguous forms caused by indeterminate lighting.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    chico blue I love your arts

and

you

TheySlashThem on
    edited April 2011
    An awful purple-headed booby has been squawking at me and reminding me that it has been forever since I updated this thread.

Lyrium and Tam: Thank you. When I was working in the painting and posted it, I shrank it down and then saved it and closed the file. Now it is stuck at that awful small size, making it hard to work in it more. Very very annoying.

Ninjai: Thank you. It's digital. My traditional painting skills are damn near nonexistent.

Orikae: Thanks a big bunch for pointing those things out. A lot of things like that are easy to miss after staring at a painting for hours. Some of Sargent's colour transitions and variation can be mindbogglingly subtle.

TDOGG: I love you too, sweetie.

unknown.jpg
    Studying a photo using some brushes that try to replicate dry brush ink.

Tamtam.jpg
    This is our lovely Tam.

apple.jpg
    apple-1.jpg
    This is a production painting I did for Mr. Trentsteel.
    I had to get this one done fairly quickly, so I focused most of my attention of the girl. The position and lighting of her legs makes her walk look sort of odd.

kittyquickie.jpg

Kittyburn.jpg

Cheerup.jpg
    KITTY KITTY KITTY

Cowboy-1.jpg
    Self-portrait/demonic transformation. The first image was done with an interesting chalky brush.

skeletondoodle.jpg
    Recent painty skeleton doodle. I started it out just by throwing down some values and colours and seeing what I could carve out of them. Skulls often emerge when I do this.

tophat2.jpg
    This was initially just going to be a drapery study, because I liked the compression wrinkles on his sleeves. Then I decided to have more fun with it. This is the reference.

These are some things from my Moleskine. I got it a while ago and neglected it. I'm trying to spend more time with it now.

moleskine-4.jpg
    This is the first thing in the sketchbook. Watercolour beaded on the paper in an interesting way.

moleskine-1.jpg
    Ink doodles.

moleskine-2.jpg
    Anus mouthed and labia chinned.

moleskine-3.jpg
    Classy.

moleskine-5.jpg
    Scary monsters.

ChicoBlue on
    edited April 2011
    your kitties

are

awesome.

But not as awesome as the watercolour. It's delicious.

tynic on
  • Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I fucking LOVE this shit - I would kill children to be able to create like this.

Excellent job

Lt. Fragg on
    edited April 2011
    Your hands have killed Children now, Chicoblue.

You monster.

Kochikens on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    very nice work mr blue
    i am partial to the hands of the tall suited man

mully on
    edited May 2011
    Tynic: Thanks. I have a block of Arches watercolour paper that I am going to play with soon. Watercolour is so sexy and dangerous.

Lt. Fragg: You don't have to kill children to draw like this. You just have to maim them in the right way.

Kochikens: That is nothing new. My hands have snuffed out the lives of many children. Most of them just potential children.

Mully: Thank you. Hands are a bugger and a half to paint.

Some moleskine fun. I'm trying to spend more time on things, rather than just blow through pages.

moleskine2-1.jpg
    The top two squiggly things are little tree compositions I was looking at whilst out on a stroll. Bugmen, kitties and grotesques are very fun to draw.

moleskine2-2.jpg
    The first one is a little bit of fun with some circle templates and some weird lighting. The second is a quick still-life of a lovely little green doll I found at a Value Village. It is so friendly.

moleskine2-3.jpg
    Some sort of colonial lemur. He is shocked. And gossipy, according to some.

Also, there is Scully. Because I like her face and I have been watching a lot of X-Files recently.

whatisthis.jpg

This horror show is the result of a lacy gauntlet thrown at my feet.

"YOU CAN'T DRAW ANYTHING BUT UGLY MONSTERS! YOU COULD NEVER DRAW A PRETTY PRINCESS!" The harpy screeched.

"OH YEAH?!" I retorted.

Turns out she was right.

Originally, I was going to try doing some flatting and fancy gradienty comic book colouring thing for this, but I got frustrated with all the selecting and whatnot and ended up just painting it. I tried to preserve a lot of the linework.

ChicoBlue on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Best cat.
    Your moleskin stuff is inspiring! Gonna go draw something now!

m3nace on
    edited May 2011
    that lemur is totally like

omg gurrlllll ydek tbh this juicy gossip is so hot rn
    and im all
    omg omg MTE ITA LEMUR THAT BITCH CHICO LOOKS SO BASIC RNTBH IA IA

oh wait that was supposed to be a secret sorry bb ugh wait no IDGAF

Kochikens on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    um, how did you create that digital drybrush ink image? any time I have tried to replicate drybrush ink on the computer it has been a horrible failure.

just a natural chalk brush or something? If you hadnt said it was digital I wouldnt have known.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited May 2011
    M3nace: Thanks. Draw hard. Draw long.

Kochikens: Goddamnit. Goddamnit it hell.

Kendeathwalker: You can get the dry brush stuff Here.

There are a lot of nice brushes in the set that I use quite a bit.

The dry brushes that I used are Z-Chinese Ink 65 Dry, Z-Chinese Ink 75 Fine, and Z-FX 200 Super Dry.

Edit: Whoops. Fixed the link.

ChicoBlue on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    thanks for the link chico, -- if anyone else went and downloaded it--If you get confused when you cant find the brushes hes talking about you need to dl the v6 not v2.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited May 2011
    Ballpoint pen sketchy
    ballpoint.jpg

These are some studies done from photos. Tried to spend under an hour on each of them.
    Studiess.jpg
    studiesss.jpg

I'm miserable at environments and vehicles and am going to try to do more studies and whatnots.

This is based on a bad dream I had.
    nightterror-1.jpg

ChicoBlue on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    that is absolutely horrific
    in the best kinda way

earthwormadam on
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hahaha, monster made of hooks for skin all gettin' caught up in your sheets unable to move. I mean I suppose he could rip the sheets asunder and make well on your flesh, but I like to think he's stuck right now. Quick! Deploy the Kevlar comforter! He'll never move again!

Arden Canelo on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Holy Shit there is an insane amount of improvement in this thread!

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • JoshuakingJoshuaking Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You make me wish I could paint better hehe. I love the forced prospectives and odd angles you use. Great work here.

Joshuaking on
    edited May 2011
    earthwormadam: Thanks. It was not fun when it happened, but I am happy I can now inflict it on others.

Arden: It is true, my nightmares are often not very practical.

Glad_Hatter: Thank you. I am working hard to be not terrible.

Joshuaking: Thanks. My forced perspective is often the result of being too lazy to do any real perspective work.

Posted this guy in the doodle thread, might as well post him here, too. My doodly fantasy demon.
    doodlebug-1.jpg

These are some doodles I did in the SE++ doodle thread.
    naaateeeeeek.jpg

faqth.jpg

buffth.jpg

Some speed paintings that I have done recently. After doing the first three Kochikens told me that they were forehead heavy and then abused me verbally. I assume she meant that I needed to pay more attention to making sure that I balanced foreground, middleground and background elements.

Slowly trying to become less miserable at environments.

speedies.jpg

speedies2.jpg

This is something that is still in its early paintingy stages. It's an interesting lighting situation that I am having a bit of trouble, but a lot of fun tackling.

workingintoit.jpg

I also used this as an opportunity to practice my perspective and take the time to make nice grids and measurements and place furniture and other fun things.
    perspective2.jpg

This bit is my attempt to find how the shadow of the lamp shade would be cast over the room as well as how some other shadows would be cast.
    perspectivelighting.jpg

ChicoBlue on