As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

James O'Keefe and [NPR]

191011121315»

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    enc0re wrote: »
    Among whites who approve of the Tea Party, only 35 percent said they believe blacks are hard-working, only 45 percent believe blacks are intelligent, and just 41 percent believe that they’re trustworthy.
    If 35 percent believe blacks are hard-working, somewhere around 60% believe the opposite, allowing for some who aren't sure. That sounds pretty damn racist to me.

Maybe. But the article didn't actually cite the 'they are not' numbers. And I wouldn't be surprised if there was a reason for that. You also have to allow for teabaggers believing that 'whites' or 'people in general' aren't trustworthy, hardworking, or intelligent.
    Having 20% be unsure if blacks are hardworking or not is awfully hard to believe, as is these folks thinking anything bad about white people, considering pretty much nobody does.
    Is that quote the basis for your claim of 'a super majority of tea partiers are racist' ? Or is there a nice, hard cite that I can throw in people's faces in RL?
    That's all I have, but I'm sure there's other stuff out there.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    devCharles wrote: »
    It's like the tea bagger joke.

They were calling themselves Teabaggers until they found out it had a different meaning than "people who don't understand what the Boston Tea Party was about getting their 1776 freak on".

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Race?

129154234416199320.jpg

591717-32med.jpg

Boring7 on
  • Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Does anyone have that video about the difference between being a bigot/racist (don't remember) and doing/saying something bigoted/racist?

"I hear you. I laid the foundations for most of the houses on this street, do they call me Angus the Stonemason? No, they do not.
    I dug wells for half the families in town, do they call me Angus the Water-bringer? No, they do not.

I built bridges over nearly every creek in the county, do they call me Angus the BridgeBuilder? No, they do not.

But you redacted one sheep..."

Boring7 on
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Does anyone have that video about the difference between being a bigot/racist (don't remember) and doing/saying something bigoted/racist?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Ti-gkJiXc

Shazam.

Narbus on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    mythago wrote: »

They were calling themselves Teabaggers until they found out it had a different meaning than "people who don't understand what the Boston Tea Party was about getting their 1776 freak on".

It's an acronym for "taxed enough already."

The original acronym was "guys oppose all taxation, so enraged."

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wasn't there like, a bunch of polls showing the average tea partier doesn't really give too much of a shit about taxes?

That more nebulous things like "small government", "fiscal responsibility" were higher and things like "FUCK MEXICANS AND WOMEN" scored really damned high?

override367 on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, considering they voted for a group that wants to raise their taxes...

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    mythago wrote: »

It's an acronym for "taxed enough already."

The original acronym was "guys oppose all taxation, so enraged."

:lol:

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkySky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait, Bill Maher said tonight that James O'Keefe got footage of Planned Parenthood helping out human traffickers?

I vaguely remember something about this....

Sky on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    James Okeefe should just start hiring actors, since nobody checks his work to verify authenticity anyway

override367 on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    And I find your method to be ineffective. When you coddle bigots, you just encourage them. It's only when you challenge their intolerance that you get places.

By calling them bigots? I don't get how that challenges their intolerance. What do you think their mindset is? Some guy just called me a bigot, well, game over guys. I guess it's time to understand minorities on different terms?

It's not just about them. It's about the other people who might not understand that these bigoted dipshits are bigoted dipshits. And frankly, I'm not going to compromise on the whole "everyone is equal regardless of race, gender, orientation, or whatever meaningless distinction idiots might think up," so I doubt there will be any common ground for us to talk about.

If your good buddy of many years gets TK'd in Call of Duty and says 'nice job you faggot way to screw it up for everyone' he might actually believe that he's not doing anything wrong. That doesn't change the fact that he is, in fact, doing something wrong. If you just sit there and let it go then he will go on being a bigot and never know about it. (Or worse, he'll go on enjoying being a bigot because he thinks you agree with him)

If you don't point this shit out it will never change.

The problem is, calling out a bigot won't get you anywhere simply because they might not be a bigot. They could just be a jerk.

The bigger problem, however, is that while bigots aren't ashamed of what they believe, they know well enough that there are "N-lovers" or "Fag-lovers" out there, and thus pretend to be ashamed.

Now, I'm not trying to say that all teabaggers are racist homophobes. I'm sure there are intellig...I'm sure there are well-manne...I'm sure there are teabaggers who aren't hate filled towards a specific race. I'm just not quite sure they're any amount worth noting.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sky wrote: »
    Wait, Bill Maher said tonight that James O'Keefe got footage of Planned Parenthood helping out human traffickers?

I vaguely remember something about it as well. IIRC, it was another thing like the ACORN pimp video where he and a girl went to planned parenthood, said some reprehensible things on camera and claimed that Planned Parenthood supported child prostitution and human trafficking without mentioning that something like 2 or 3 of the people they met later filed reports for just that.

Pretty sure like the Acorn Pimp video he filmed himself entering a PP clinic dressed like a pimp and spliced it before them to make it seem like he was obviously dressed like one.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sky wrote: »

I vaguely remember something about it as well. IIRC, it was another thing like the ACORN pimp video where he and a girl went to planned parenthood, said some reprehensible things on camera and claimed that Planned Parenthood supported child prostitution and human trafficking without mentioning that something like 2 or 3 of the people they met later filed reports for just that.

Pretty sure like the Acorn Pimp video he filmed himself entering a PP clinic dressed like a pimp and spliced it before them to make it seem like he was obviously dressed like one.

I kinda remember this too, and I remember that the PP people played along with him and then filed reports with the FBI after he left.

emp123 on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's weird.
    It's almost like these people are professionals and are trained "Don't confront them. Contact the authorities. They could just be insane, or they could be DANGEROUS. Do NOT challenge them."

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    SkySky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I remember now, and yes, you guys are correct. They played along, and then filed reports. But, since James O'Keefe has video of himself "getting away with" his plan, his narrative works for Fox News.

*shakes his head*

So, is anyone working to undermine this guy? ;)

Sky on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Have the media fact check?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Have the media fact check?

Dont be ridiculous, that would affect their ratings.

emp123 on