Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Let's Play Quest for Glory. Thanks to Piotyr for keeping this going!

• PiotyrPiotyr Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »
    Now, since QFG5 has so many throwbacks to the previous games, before I go forward, I'm going to go back and make sure all my images for all the sets are correct and loading. I'm not sure how long that'll take, or if I'll get mind-numbingly bored in the process, but that's the plan right now.

I've now got all of QFG4 fixed. Which is a good third of everything.

Because I can kill demons and leopards any time, but get them to glorify me? That's a once in a lifetime opportunity. -- Jim Darkmagic, Let's Play: Quest for Glory Series
    Brief update on this: All counted there were about 9000 references to imageshack among all my images when I started fixing them. So far this week, I've trimmed that down to just over 1800 (doing all of QFG4 and all the character portraits and magic icons). The rest won't go as quickly, but I have a base of images to start from on QFG5 soon.

In the meantime, the intro video for QFG5:

Because I can kill demons and leopards any time, but get them to glorify me? That's a once in a lifetime opportunity. -- Jim Darkmagic, Let's Play: Quest for Glory Series
  • RucioRucio Registered User
    Awesome! Can't wait!

In honor of @Syphyre 's new arrival, it's time to move on to the next generation of QFG!

edited April 2012
    Magic User 67 - Now In 3D!
    Spoiler:

Piotyr on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Yay! Jim's back baby!
    Spoiler:

newSig.jpg
  • ShimshaiShimshai Registered User regular
    Is Rakeesh a lion in sheep's clothing? Because that's what it looks like.
    zZXbF.png

Great to see the return of the legend!

This is dark magic!
    Jim Darkmagic.

Priceless.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    YAY! So happy this is back!

My PA, PSN, XBL, Origin, and Steam names are the same. 3DS Friend Code: 1607-1682-2948
    steam_sig-400.png
    Stack Exchange | http://www.mpdevblog.blogspot.com
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »
    In honor of @Syphyre 's new arrival, it's time to move on to the next generation of QFG!

Aww I appreciate! You rock for keeping this LP going. It's been damn good too.

Steam ID - Syphyreal --- 3DS Friend Code: 2723-9387-1002
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Is Rakeesh a lion in sheep's clothing? Because that's what it looks like.
    zZXbF.png

Great to see the return of the legend!

This is dark magic!
    Jim Darkmagic.

Priceless.

Early 3d modeling. Rakeesh looks Lambert (the sheepish lion) and Fenrir looks like a seal.

newSig.jpg
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User
    God, I forgot how awful QFG5 looked. And it's not even that it hasn't aged well; it didn't look good when it was NEW.

sig.gif
  • HammerlockHammerlock Registered User
    It hasn't aged well, but remember it came out in the 90s when the average resolution was 800x600. At the time the graphics were pretty good--not cutting edge, but certainly nothing to sneeze at either.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I can't help but wonder if this series will be Kickstarted. Seems like the cool thing for former Sierra devs to do.

My PA, PSN, XBL, Origin, and Steam names are the same. 3DS Friend Code: 1607-1682-2948
    steam_sig-400.png
    Stack Exchange | http://www.mpdevblog.blogspot.com
    Yeah, I know!

For those under a rock: LSL is getting kickstarted for a full refresh; their license allows them to remake all existing games in the series. The SQ team is also doing...something, even if not directly SQ (they may go the system shock-->bioshock "spiritual successor" route). The GK team is doing something similar as well.

The LSL team has mentioned wrangling updates for the other properties if they get a groove going. Of course, we'll see, but if they're successful enough for whichever company holds all the sierra IP, it's certainly possible.

That said, it's unlikely QfG will get the retreatment...maybe they've changed their minds over the last 1.5 decades, but when QfG5 came out the Coles said it was the final capstone for the series, and they were grateful to be able to provide closure for it.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist A banana is good. It tastes the same going in or going out! Registered User regular
    Didn't LSL already have a refresh that turned out to be a total flop?

That was done by another studio. The original creators disavow anything to do with "Larry Lovage" and consider it to be a creative abortion.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist A banana is good. It tastes the same going in or going out! Registered User regular
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User
    The Coles have been trying to get the QFG license away from Sierra for years without any luck.

sig.gif
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind another endeavor by the Coles, but QfG was always planned to end in Silmaria. Part of what makes the games work so well is that it follows the path of the classical hero from beginning to end. I don't think they could revive the license without it feeling tacked on and unnecessary.

Same here. I mean, everything that's been mentioned in the previous games is kinda tied up in 5 plus at the end, you're pretty much done.

newSig.jpg
  • RucioRucio Registered User
    edited April 2012
    I don't see why we couldn't have a new hero, in the same world.

I mean there's a whole hero academy spitting out people. And today more than ever it would be easy to have choices and things from previous games carry over.

Part of what I think makes this series as a whole great is the charm, and I think charm i lacking in most other fantasy endeavors lately. I would think that gaming could benefit from more QFG type games.

Rucio on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    I've never played the 5th game before and wow, I had no idea it looked so hideous.

And yes, I'd love a new Quest for Glory series.

It's funny really, all the little details (and effects) actually look great, but everything else looks terrible.

Although, maybe it just looks great in comparison to everything else.

And sorry for making anyone think I had made the next set. I'm working on it now, though.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Really, I'd just settle for it being able to be buyable from somewhere

camo_sig2.png
    I'm also going to leave my avatar as the Mordavia version of the wizard, because I haven't found a way to make a QFG 5 hero image look not terrible.

Rucio wrote: »
    I don't see why we couldn't have a new hero, in the same world.

I mean there's a whole hero academy spitting out people. And today more than ever it would be easy to have choices and things from previous games carry over.

Part of what I think makes this series as a whole great is the charm, and I think charm i lacking in most other fantasy endeavors lately. I would think that gaming could benefit from more QFG type games.

It wasn't really an academy, it was a correspondence school where you learned everything by mail. Spell casting, locking picking, sword fighting, all through mail.

Though I do agree with you on all other points.

newSig.jpg
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    Yeah, but if it's a whole new story and characters, they don't need the QfG license. A new adventure should make a new name for itself.

Anyway, Piotyr's right about the visuals. The technical execution is rather lacking, but the design and effects still carry the charm and attention to detail of the series. I usually don't even notice the blockiness and blurriness after a while, because it's still got that je ne sais quois(did I spell that right? been years since I've used french)

Except when someone starts dancing. Good god is that awkward.

• JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User
    Mars wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind another endeavor by the Coles, but QfG was always planned to end in Silmaria. Part of what makes the games work so well is that it follows the path of the classical hero from beginning to end. I don't think they could revive the license without it feeling tacked on and unnecessary.

I agree, the series was supposed to end in Silmaria and thats what they did. What I'd want is a remake of QFG5 as a 2D adventure/RPG. Similar story, better voice acting, better gameplay. Somehow I doubt that will happen though :)

edited April 2012
    Supply and demand...

Magic User 68 - The Economy of Magic
    Spoiler:

Piotyr on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Are you doing voices for this one, Piotyr? :D I need to know before I read the first set.

Elvenshae on
    elvenshae2_zps569236d5.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The FATE of the Rebellion PBP
    FotR on Obsidian Portal
    Nah, not going to do the voices this time. Too messy, and the VA isn't nearly as good.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Shouldn't you be saving money? :D

Fun to see all the previous people come back in this one!

steam_sig.png
    Backloggery XBox Live: ArcSyn 3DS: 1805-2274-4550 (Jonathan) WiiU NNID: ArcSyn

GIFT GET GIFS
    The Sultan would have wanted Jim to have all the magic...

I can't wait for Jim's reaction to meeting FA.
    Spoiler:

newSig.jpg
    Good news, everyone! GoG is releasing Quest for Glory, the whole series!

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/quest_for_glory

Sorry I haven't posted a set the past 10 days or so, I've had a not-so-funny last couple weeks, and haven't been in the right mindset to make things funny.

Yeah, tempted to add them to my shelf.

Especially at $10.

That's like $2 a game!

newSig.jpg
    The top comment from GoG says:

"Especially the fun of Quest for Glory 3 and 4 were amazing."

What? 3??? No mention of 2?

Remember, they don't have the VGA fan remake. It's ega, text input, old school.

newSig.jpg
    Nocren wrote: »
    Remember, they don't have the VGA fan remake. It's ega, text input, old school.

And still awesome.

My favorite comment was the guy who said he played 5 and liked it, but didn't get a chance to play the previous games. He's been missing out.