As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tribes] Ascend. - Updating OP, steamgroup listed for coordinating matches together!

• Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    Raindance and Rollercoaster were Tribes staples (ESP raindance) and they were both open flag maps. There were also later maps that were open flag that were almost exclusively played (in base) that I think were part of the DX pack (if memory servers right?) I think it was DX canyon or some such....

I'm not saying you can't have maps with indoor flags, but I just want to make it clear that both style of maps were heavily played in Tribes.

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I really miss Raindance.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Raindance and Rollercoaster were Tribes staples (ESP raindance) and they were both open flag maps. There were also later maps that were open flag that were almost exclusively played (in base) that I think were part of the DX pack (if memory servers right?) I think it was DX canyon or some such....

I'm not saying you can't have maps with indoor flags, but I just want to make it clear that both style of maps were heavily played in Tribes.

Oh absolutely. I'm just saying they were both well liked and played. Not just open flag maps.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    SniperGuy wrote:
    Why are we changing things from the way they used to be, when they way it used to be was fun? Don't fix it if it isn't broken, etc.

Because the developers had an alpha version of the game in which they did things the way you think they should be done, and found that it was not actually fun.

Interestingly, sequels can be different from previous games.

Also interestingly, people can disagree with your opinions.

Garthor on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I was doing really well the other night. Had a TDM match with 14500 points and 15 kills. Then suddenly I am getting destroyed every match. This is an interesting game.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Garthor wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:
    Why are we changing things from the way they used to be, when they way it used to be was fun? Don't fix it if it isn't broken, etc.

Because the developers had an alpha version of the game in which they did things the way you think they should be done, and found that it was not actually fun.

Interestingly, sequels can be different from previous games.

Also interestingly, people can disagree with your opinions.

Indeed they can! This is why I prefixed my post with "I disagree with everything you're saying." I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong man, I'm just trying to say that I think you're wrong. You know, discussion?

Well in the game right now if they implemented the inventory stations are actually useful fix, the game would be a little crazy. They'd need to fix some of the terrible base design and move the bases a little farther apart for that to be feasible. So if you're saying they had it in originally, then perhaps that was the issue and they simply fixed the wrong thing. But they did have loadouts you had to select and then use inventory stations to get them?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    In the older versions of Tribes there were things you could do to chase down someone who was getting away with a flag (on most maps, the 2 second caps were kind of unstoppable) this is especially true in Tribes 2 where you could set up deployables and drain energy and chase or snipe someone, hit them with missiles and unless they had phosphorus they were dead.

In Ascend if someone comes from the back of your open-flag map and hits the platform (none of which are particularly high or hard to hit at 200+ movespeed) they will be out of turret range and gone before anyone who could possibly chase can turn to follow.

With how slow you seem to gain speed, and how every map seems to be shaped like a big bowl, unless you happen to have hit max velocity in the same direction as the person fleeing, or they screw up badly, there is nothing to prevent them from being gone with the flag.

You're left with a situation where if someone touches the flag and knows their route 90% of the time they will be gone. So you have to stack your defense to make sure no one touches the flag. Leaving a handful on offense on either side, dragging the game out forever with constant attempts.

Or You stack offense, and trade bases with each side just sort of waiting around for a flag return sitting on the enemy flag stand. Lots of touches, but again no captures.

What I honestly think is lacking are the semi-mid choke points, where a mid armor spinfuser wielder can soften up any offense, and perhaps stop heavies from making it to the base. In CTF mode it's just a bunch of people skiing past one another on their way to the enemy base. If you ever sit mid and try to stop them, movement being what it is and regen functioning the way it does even if you hit them in the face with the spinfuser, they're just going to skii past you, skii past your base, go sit on a hill and wait to regen to full, then make a run at the flag.

Regen needs to be much slower, or only be a percentage of hp lost. So your max regen should only ever be your current hp + 50% of hp lost. If I get you down to 1% you should not regen back to 100% by hiding behind a hill. You should now be at 51% and either have to use the survivor perk or hit an inventory station.

• Options
    I miss the awesome huge maps where you basically had to take a transport to get to the enemy base, with those little sensor towers set up around the map you could hold. Those were awesome. Health regen is just dumb in tribes IMO.

• Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    I've finally gotten my base defense on the Airship map down with my doom bringer. team never lost our generator, I killed two flag grabbers with rockets (great feeling firing one of those, then going back and killing people trying to get to your gen only to get a kill 30-40 seconds later and a flag defender icon.

Bets part, sniper behind the base I snuck up on and killed with a melee attack, so glorious.

I wouldn't have a problem with the super fast grabs if they needed the generator down to pull them off. Needs to be a slow aura around the base that limits people to 75% max speed until its down. People coming in during the first 30 seconds who loaded faster might actually be stopped then (pet peeve of first capture going to first team to load...they need to put in a 15-20 seconds warm up period)

Vechloran.png
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    They need to make the radar dishes DO something, too. They barely even register at the moment. Or at least increase the penalties for losing one.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    tuxkamen wrote:
    Arthil wrote:
    Never really played a Tribes game, on PC at least, prior to giving this a shot. Gotta say that I was missing out big time. My only complaint is that my left thumb is fucking sore as hell at the moment, might changing skiing to ALT and enemy call outs to spacebar stop my thumb from cramping up?

Wait, how exactly are you skiing? All you should have to do is hold the space bar down without hitting it repeatedly (do this by binding Jump/Ski to Space Bar if you haven't already). It shouldn't be killing your hand in the least.

I don't hit it repeatedly, I hold it down. Extensively holding down the spacebar makes my thumb cramp up, hence me thinking ALT would be better.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:
    I miss the awesome huge maps where you basically had to take a transport to get to the enemy base, with those little sensor towers set up around the map you could hold. Those were awesome. Health regen is just dumb in tribes IMO.
    While I dislike it in single player games (because it tends to result in poor difficulty balancing and lack of strategy in combat) it seems to work pretty well here, though. It means the little damage here and there doesn't just slowly add up until you fall over to a lucky shot, someone needs to focus you.

• Options
    Glal wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:
    While I dislike it in single player games (because it tends to result in poor difficulty balancing and lack of strategy in combat) it seems to work pretty well here, though. It means the little damage here and there doesn't just slowly add up until you fall over to a lucky shot, someone needs to focus you.

Except here it means lights just say fuck it and skii across the map at 230+ units and skip right past everyone without trying to avoid them at all. If I get a good disc on someone mid that doesn't quite kill them, and they just ignore me and go cap the flag 14 seconds later it's fucking stupid.

Half of the skill of combat was using medkits to regen a bit at a time, sometimes you'd be low and have no kit and get that kill that secured you a heal that let you get another. You could stay and fight forever if you were good enough.

Now the if you were good enough part does not apply, you can be awful and just run away constantly. You could always regain HP in Tribes, but you had to earn it by either scavenging for pickups, or killing dudes, or hoping your team had a supply station cleverly hidden as a pit stop behind the enemy base.

I like Ascend, I like it a lot, but the passive regen needs to go badly. Especially with the way the hitscan weapons seem to work. I actually have to aim BEHIND someone with stuff to hit them it's like the opposite of hitscan, and the opposite of leading the target.

• Options
    CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote:
    tuxkamen wrote:
    Arthil wrote:
    Never really played a Tribes game, on PC at least, prior to giving this a shot. Gotta say that I was missing out big time. My only complaint is that my left thumb is fucking sore as hell at the moment, might changing skiing to ALT and enemy call outs to spacebar stop my thumb from cramping up?

Wait, how exactly are you skiing? All you should have to do is hold the space bar down without hitting it repeatedly (do this by binding Jump/Ski to Space Bar if you haven't already). It shouldn't be killing your hand in the least.

I don't hit it repeatedly, I hold it down. Extensively holding down the spacebar makes my thumb cramp up, hence me thinking ALT would be better.

You can also toggle skiing off and on instead of holding down a button.

• Options
    dispatch.o wrote:
    I like Ascend, I like it a lot, but the passive regen needs to go badly. Especially with the way the hitscan weapons seem to work. I actually have to aim BEHIND someone with stuff to hit them it's like the opposite of hitscan, and the opposite of leading the target.
    What hitscan weapons?

• Options
    You know what'd be cool?

A rule that we aren't allowed to talk about the previous TRIBES games at all. Because, honestly, nobody gives a shit. The game stands on its own perfectly fine. Stop trying to turn it into something else.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I've gotta wonder how some people can talk a big game of "pwning people" with some very rude and vulgar shit thrown in for good measure, damn near spam the top left of my screen with it yet actually play.

I hate the internet sometimes -_-

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Garthor wrote:
    You know what'd be cool?

A rule that we aren't allowed to talk about the previous TRIBES games at all. Because, honestly, nobody gives a shit. The game stands on its own perfectly fine. Stop trying to turn it into something else.

I personally, literally only have three complaints: Map size, no transports, and no god damn Thundersword Bomber.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Glal wrote:
    dispatch.o wrote:
    What hitscan weapons?

Sniper Rifles are still hitscan, so is the Eagle Pistol. Or rather if they were made projectile it's near instant and still should require leading instead of aiming where someone was.

As for discussing the previous Tribes game. If they wanted a game that stood on it's own they wouldn't have called it motherfucking Tribes. There are plenty of things in the game that were obviously put in as gameplay elements designed to mimic the original games (we're not talkin vengeance here). Things like a generator, and a sensor, and deployables, and oh right, fucking skiing and spinfusers. Pretending this game isn't meant to be a Tribes game and is just sort of borrowing the name is silly.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    The way you spoke about it made it sound far more endemic than a tiny subset of weapons, thought you might've been talking before they made most of them projectile-based.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Glal wrote:
    The way you spoke about it made it sound far more endemic than a tiny subset of weapons, thought you might've been talking before they made most of them projectile-based.

Nah it's quite literally just hitscan weapons. It's like lag compensation where it leaves the hitbox where the target was maybe 1/10th a second ago, and when someone's far away and you're trying to plink with the pistol, 1/10th a second is the difference between a hit and a total miss.

I am not the only one who's experiencing this, it makes me wonder if it's something to do with pings or server locations, as people with HIGHER pings never seem to have the issue, where as I with a 20-40ms ping seem to have it constantly. Which sucks, as my preference is to hang out mid as a medium armor with a spinfuser and eagle pistol and try to make sure no one gets free passage to my generator entrance or flag area without eating discs of fury. Which would result in more kills if the pistol would hit when they zip past me. Instead of being dead on and seeing no hits, then aiming at the ground behind them and getting a series of hits. (sometimes even headshot levels of damage)

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    @garthor you don't think if they removed spinfusors and called it something other than tribes that this game would have a massively smaller player base right now? Without those elements it's fairly mediocre at best. With them, it shows the potential to be as awesome as the predecessors. Not discussing the very important games that came before this one is silly.
    The game has problems. It's a beta, it's supposed to. But their design philosophy seems fairly counter to the original two tribes games. This is something worth discussing. If you like it and think it has no flaws, i'm happy for you, but that doesn't mean the rest of us can't talk about them.

I kinda miss medkits. They were a pain sometimes, but I've always thought regenerating health is silly.

• Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Garthor wrote:
    You know what'd be cool?

If it stood on it's own they wouldn't have had to call it tribes. While I don't entirely disagree with your point, let's not be ridiculous here. The game has problems, and most of those problems didn't exist in the older versions for various reasons. Perhaps discussing the way things used to be can lead to fixing some of the problems?

My main beef with the game is that it feels so tiny. I have to say I agree 100% with dispatch.o's post a few posts ago. It's just too easy to play a pathfinder and just throw yourself at the flag at 5,000 saniks and win 75% of the time. For me the weapons just don't feel "right", most of them aren't nearly as effective as they used to be (sentinel rifle is pathetic, spinfuser's proximity is way lower and damage is lower as well, heavy mortars are spray and pray now with no designator, etc.) so I just go for the flag and ignore killing people because base defenses and flag placement means I don't even have to work to cap. I just go super fast, find a path and go from one end of the map to the other in literally 15-20 seconds, if that.

I mean as far as ctf goes, some of the unreal tournament maps were much more open and challenging to cap than these.

I really hate to say it but it feels like Tribes:COD. Which isn't surprising I guess.

Boogdud on
  • Options
    Boogdud wrote:
    Garthor wrote:
    You know what'd be cool?

If it stood on it's own they wouldn't have had to call it tribes. While I don't entirely disagree with your point, let's not be ridiculous here. The game has problems, and most of those problems didn't exist in the older versions for various reasons. Perhaps discussing the way things used to be can lead to fixing some of the problems?

My main beef with the game is that it feels so tiny. I have to say I agree 100% with dispatch.o's post a few posts ago. It's just too easy to play a pathfinder and just throw yourself at the flag at 5,000 saniks and win 75% of the time. For me the weapons just don't feel "right", most of them aren't nearly as effective as they used to be (sentinel rifle is pathetic, spinfuser's proximity is way lower and damage is lower as well, heavy mortars are spray and pray now with no designator, etc.) so I just go for the flag and ignore killing people because base defenses and flag placement means I don't even have to work to cap. I just go super fast, find a path and go from one end of the map to the other in literally 15-20 seconds, if that.

I mean as far as ctf goes, some of the unreal tournament maps were much more open and challenging to cap than these.

I really hate to say it but it feels like Tribes:COD. Which isn't surprising I guess.

That is an excellent way to describe it.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    The reason for the original complaint is the reason I've already unsubscribed this thread multiple times for a few weeks at a time in the past, because coming in here to share war stories and chatter about a game I enjoy, only to be faced with walls of text whinging about everything not Tribes1&2 sucks all the fun out of actually discussing anything here.

Glal on
  • Options
    Glal wrote:
    The reason for the original complaint is the reason I've already unsubscribed this thread multiple times for a few weeks at a time in the past, because coming in here to share war stories and chatter about a game I enjoy, only to be faced with walls of text whinging about everything not Tribes1&2 sucks all the fun out of actually discussing anything here.

You can do that and people can discuss the problems they have with this sequel. Which is still in beta. No one is whining, we're discussing the differences and problems between this game and previous games in the series.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    The problem is that most (if not all) of the "problems" brought up are defined by the previous game. When you go "these grenades are overpowered, you can clear the entire generator room with them" I'll nod and agree, because I've experience it and felt it was a problem. Or disagree, because I found a way to work around it.

But when you go "this health regen is broken, because it doesn't work like it did in Tribes1&2", well, I don't have a problem with it. So when the same group of people keeps bringing up all these issues that I don't actually consider a problem, defining them all with "because this is how the old games did it" it just ends up feeling, I dunno, petty? When I enter the thread for the 5th update in a row, only to be faced with yet another complaint about something I don't consider an issue it just grows tiresome. It's a Tribes: Ascend thread, not a How Is Tribes: Ascent Different From Tribes 1&2 thread.

Glal on
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    Glal wrote:

You should have been around during the vengeance days. Ascend isn't a bad game, and nobody is 'whinging' about everything not tribes 1&2. I'd have the same complaints about the game if I'd never played any tribes game. The matches are too small, too fast to the point that defense is useless, the weapons are lackluster and the control and precision just isn't tight. These are problems that this game would have if it was called "blowflops jetpack space ranger wolfsquad".

Hell, I liked section 8, a LOT (says something about me I guess), and it had problems. I'd just like to see these fixed before release so tribes doesn't end up abandoned as well.

• Options
    Actually I think Blowflops Jetpack SpaceRanger Wolfsquad would be a much better name.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I honestly don't have any problems with control or precision and I've been playing first person shooters since Wolf3d, and MPing them since the original Doom. This is what I mean with "complaints about problems I don't see". Could it be a latency issue and I just lucked out?

Glal on
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    So, just started up last night. Things seem pretty floaty but that is just me getting acclimated.

What are good base defense classes to unlock? I'm guessing technician. I was rocking Juggernaut which was working out okay.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    Glal wrote:
    I honestly don't have any problems with control or precision and I've been playing first person shooters since Wolf3d, and MPing them since the original Doom. This is what I mean with "complaints about problems I don't see". Could it be a latency issue and I just lucked out?

Compared to other Tribes games, these jetpacks are massively weak. If you step off a ledge and fall for a brief moment, your jetpack will take a ton of fuel to get you going in the other direction. The thrust and size of the fuel reserves are very very weak, even not compared to other Tribes games. It's really easy for unfamiliar players to burn out their jetpack fuel in no time flat, even on the light armors. That's my main issue with control/precision.

Oh, and spinfusors still feel a little weird. Inheritance issue? Or perhaps that's compounded by the jetpacks, I dunno.

• Options
    DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    Depends on what kind of base defense you're thinking of. Doombringers are great flag defenders with force fields and mines, Juggs are good for sweeping and clearing the Gen room (and my personal favorite HoF in Crossfire), a good Sentinel can lock down a huge area, Technicians have their turrets, motion sensors, and repair skills, Raiders and Brutes can be kings of indoor combat...

Find a play style you like. The classes can be pretty versatile.

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:
    Compared to other Tribes games, these jetpacks are massively weak. If you step off a ledge and fall for a brief moment, your jetpack will take a ton of fuel to get you going in the other direction. The thrust and size of the fuel reserves are very very weak, even not compared to other Tribes games. It's really easy for unfamiliar players to burn out their jetpack fuel in no time flat, even on the light armors. That's my main issue with control/precision.

Oh, and spinfusors still feel a little weird. Inheritance issue? Or perhaps that's compounded by the jetpacks, I dunno.

I've experienced some major issues with server-side lag in the past, feels like what you are describing. It comes and goes as they reboot the servers, so I'd give it some time and see. I quit playing TF2 for some of the same reasons, so its not just Ascend with these kinds of problems.

The size of the maps is fine. Yeah the game moves faster than old Tribes, not exactly the 90s anymore. The matches are just more focused now and its harder to be Rambo. The classes feel a lot like I remember from Tribes 1, jetpacking and all. If you are having trouble defending the flag, you just need a better Doombringer.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I agree with sniperguy about the spinfusors, inheritance or something is off, I've been doing some shooting range practice stuff and trying to get better at hitting moving targets MA, its really hard to line it up unless you are flying straight at them or they are only going straight up.

Not trying to toot my own horn here but I used to be damn good at killing people MA with discs, so I don't know whats changed but the discs feel off to me. maybe they are traveling slower then tribes 1 and 2?

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Jetpacks do feel like they run out incredibly quickly; it's really quite annoying.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    My new favorite thing is people complaining about how things were better in TRIBES, citing examples where things are exactly the fucking same as in TRIBES.

Like, last game I played had some idiot complaining the Heavy Chaingun doesn't belong in the game... except it's goddamn identical to the chaingun in TRIBES.

Or, people complaining about the Sentinel rifle being weak... when it takes the same damn number of shots to kill players as the laser rifle in TRIBES (two shots for a light).

Or, people complaining about the jetpacks having very little thrust... when if you ever tried jetting without jumping first in TRIBES you'd find you could hardly fucking go ANYWHERE.

Wait... what's the word that's like "favorite" but means "I am really getting tired of this shit"?

Garthor on
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    No kidding about getting in the beta easily. I don't even remember signing up and I got in.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Garthor wrote:
    My new favorite thing is people complaining about how things were better in TRIBES, citing examples where things are exactly the fucking same as in TRIBES.

Like, last game I played had some idiot complaining the Heavy Chaingun doesn't belong in the game... except it's goddamn identical to the chaingun in TRIBES.

Or, people complaining about the Sentinel rifle being weak... when it takes the same damn number of shots to kill players as the laser rifle in TRIBES (two shots for a light).

Or, people complaining about the jetpacks having very little thrust... when if you ever tried jetting without jumping first in TRIBES you'd find you could hardly fucking go ANYWHERE.

Wait... what's the word that's like "favorite" but means "I am really getting tired of this shit"?

Siiiiigh.

On the chaingun, I don't recall the old chaingun feeling at all like this new one. Besides, most armor classes could use the regular chaingun, couldn't they? I actually can't find a video of the original in use though, and I never really used the chaingun in T1.

Sentinel rifle can't score headshots anymore. Thus it is absolutely weaker.

That's because in the original Tribes you ALWAYS JUMPED FIRST. This game doesn't require that, the jetpacks are still incredibly weak. Check out the air this guy can get in T1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=figpu9oi1gU

You can't get anything like that in ascend.

To say it's not different is being deliberatly naive I think. Or I'm completely wrong! But I'd like to see some proof as to why.

And yeah, definitely some issues with server lag.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote:

I thought I recognized your name from somewhere last night. I was in those games. Getting my ass handed to me.
    It was aggravating to listen to people talking about how Tribes Ascend had to be exactly like they remember other tribes games being, otherwise it didn't deserve to use the tribes name.

On the other hand, you were trolling them pretty hard.

This discussion has been closed.