As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tribes] Ascend. - Updating OP, steamgroup listed for coordinating matches together!

• Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I don't know orbitals are insanely deadly, especially if the other team has a heavy defense it might be worth it to save up for one or two. Plus, they go boom boom boom. Upgrading a generator doesn't even say thanks! Honestly though, if you're in a pub you probably get a hell of a lot more xp for killing 3-1,309 guys with an orbial, vs whatever the pathetic xp is for upgrading a generator. That kind of sucks, for a teamwork focused game. I think repairing crap as a tcn should give you a lot more points than it does as well.

Boogdud on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I was a little sad about how easy it was to max out the repair badges as a Tech. It only took me a few games of really focusing on keeping everything up and running.

My friends have been saying that there should be some reward for the kills that turrets you have upgraded get, but, we weren't really sure what would be fair.

• Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    I almost say you don't want to fix broken things in this game, points should just be for vechicles/drops. It's SOOOOOOO easy to blow up base items at zero danger to your self, and it gives you 250 extra points, that by constantly repairing them you're giving the enemy team an advantage. Also, the turrets are useless 99% of the time anyway, two tanks would be better use of money then bringing one to max level.

Until they wise up, and make all external buildings have incredibly tough shields, if not just invincible, until the generator is down. Then its just not worth it to feed some inf/raider free points.

Vechloran.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I was a little sad about how easy it was to max out the repair badges as a Tech. It only took me a few games of really focusing on keeping everything up and running.

My friends have been saying that there should be some reward for the kills that turrets you have upgraded get, but, we weren't really sure what would be fair.

SOOOO agreed. Well at very least it would be nice if when you ran up to a completely fubar'd turret, and repaired it from 0 to 100 and it kills like 3-4 dudes *while* you're repairing it you'd get an assist. Because, if that's not an assist, I don't know what is...

I got tired of the lack of points (for my team, vs feeding points to the other team like Velmeran just said) for being a good tech, so I took to harassment/base defense soldier. I also got tired of being made fun of for doing something as "unimportant" as keeping everything up in a match by the other team and my own team. I thought the tribes crowd would be a bitmore savvy than that, but since it's free we get a lot of cod'derpers, unfortunately.

Boogdud on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The trouble is, turrets and such are only really useful for killing players who aren't cappers and are hanging around the flag stand area. So, in order for them to be useful, your team not only needs flag defense, but then THEIR team needs people HARASSING your flag defense. So, it's doubly unlikely to be useful in a pub.

Garthor on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Suds wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    They also need some things more worth buying with points. Orbital strike? Does anyone actually save up for that?

Calling in an auxiliary generator would be pretty cool. 3000 points and it needs to be within 250M of your generator, above ground. It basically provides power when the generator goes down, but enemies can easily see it and destroy it.

I can see that being abused quite a bit. Gen goes down, instantly a backup is called in to keep defences up while the main is repaired.

That would be the intended use. How is that abusive? And a 30 second "power-up" time would still mean a gen kill gives you a cap window.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Garthor wrote: »
    The trouble is, turrets and such are only really useful for killing players who aren't cappers and are hanging around the flag stand area. So, in order for them to be useful, your team not only needs flag defense, but then THEIR team needs people HARASSING your flag defense. So, it's doubly unlikely to be useful in a pub.

It would be very cool indeed if as a tech you could use a pack (say, in place of your turret), to upgrade an existing cannon turret to have highly extended range and accuracy. Like an upgrade that you could see visually (so people would maybe use their orbitals on turrets instead, etc.). That way you have a reason to repair them and keep your gens up. It would give offense an incentive to use their strikes/points for something other than clearing the flag stand. It would also help with the speed racer grabbers as well.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I'd like to see a return to controllable turrets, but not from a station. You jump in the turret itself, and you're given more robust options for assault.

Like the ability to lock-on your own flag when it's stolen. Missiles a bit easier to lock and faster than the MIRV (or whatever it's called).

Then there'd really be a reason to keep your generator up and turrets repaired/upgraded. And strikes would be used on turrets almost exclusively. Because a manned turret would be far, far, far more deadly than the predictable AI. Although sometimes the AI leads its target like a champ.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    The AI always leads its target perfectly. It's just not good at picking the appropriate moment to shoot, and so will piss away shots when people are still accelerating / maneuvering rather than waiting for them to approach the flag stand.

• Options
    OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    Further reports: This game is definitely better with a full server. There's less of a feeling of futility trying to play defense because even though there are more adversaries, it's still the same amount of ground to cover, and more people to do it with. You're less likely to have your whole setup blown to crap by one guy squatting on a hill.

When there a fewer people on, it seems better to just play PTH so you can cap when you need to, flag chase when you need to, and duel at will. It goes back to the earlier comparison of Tribes and soccer. If you're playing 5 v 5 on a full size pitch, it might not be worth it to have full time defenders, maybe not even a full time goalie, whereas with full teams you can have a more reasonable expectation of having a particular role to fill.

Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Oh, absolutely. If you don't have a full match, dedicating yourself to a standard role can be incredibly disheartening.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    infiltrators with spinfusors is fucking dumb

that is all

• Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    Picking a specific job and sticking to it is making this game more enjoyable for me. I use to just worry about flag capping, but now my new love is flag retrieval. Not trying to stop them from grabbing it, but once they have the flag and then chasing them. Finding counter routes and seeing if I can keep up with them has been really fun.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    infiltrators with spinfusors is fucking dumb

that is all

On this there is consensus.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    technicians with thumpers sucks a little more.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Picking a specific job and sticking to it is making this game more enjoyable for me. I use to just worry about flag capping, but now my new love is flag retrieval. Not trying to stop them from grabbing it, but once they have the flag and then chasing them. Finding counter routes and seeing if I can keep up with them has been really fun.

Me too man, I really enjoy this role as well.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I try to stop them from grabbing it and chase them. Prevention is the best cure.

Edit: Thrust pack is almost required for this though.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Enig wrote: »
    I try to stop them from grabbing it and chase them. Prevention is the best cure.

As a PTH the best I can do is splash them before they touch the flag and then chase. Yeah, sometimes that's enough for the kill but for the most part, I'm still going to end up chasing any high speed PTHs.

Edit: Thrust pack is still something I'm trying to get use to. Straight out of spawn it's awesome, or if you're in a static position waiting. I really wish that it could help change your direction mid air when you're going over 130. Then again, I'm still learning how to use it properly.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I dunno I often am able to get a disc hit just as they grab the flag, sometimes a direct hit. I mean they are going to pass through a per-determined point so speed is the only other factor for aiming in this case really.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    technicians with thumpers sucks a little more.

Yes this

• Options
    edited March 2012

As a PTH the best I can do is splash them before they touch the flag and then chase. Yeah, sometimes that's enough for the kill but for the most part, I'm still going to end up chasing any high speed PTHs.

Edit: Thrust pack is still something I'm trying to get use to. Straight out of spawn it's awesome, or if you're in a static position waiting. I really wish that it could help change your direction mid air when you're going over 130. Then again, I'm still learning how to use it properly.

Use it when you have some open space or a downhill. It doesn't do very well uphill, but can possibly be useful even then. Can also use it to quickly change directions by coming to a stop then thrusting off. Otherwise it can be useful for maneuvering quickly, such as to do a decent e-grab which would otherwise be llama, or to quickly grab a nearby flag in the field.

For chasing, once you hit the passing capper with your bolt/disc, immediately thrust in the same direction his route is taking him. The pack will get you to 130-150 and at that point you can use a nitron (nitrons work best at speed) to boost yourself and catch up to him.

Like you, chasing is my favorite thing to do. To learn I watch Blinks' videos (he is a defender/chaser for one of the pro teams). e.g. http://www.twitch.tv/theblinks/b/310106358 (starting at 40 minutes) or http://www.twitch.tv/theblinks/b/310667535 (10-52 minutes). Of course, it is a little different in competitive games compared to randoms.

Edit: In other news...
    The big things we are focusing on for the next few weeks are:

1) Stability and performance
    2) Fix annoying issues and bugs such as deadstops, etc (including some things that feel bad at higher ping).
    3) Private servers
    4) Improved social/friends features
    5) New and better maps

Obviously, there will also be a variety of balance tweaks. We also have a group working on new weapons, skins, etc. And we are continually experimenting with new gamemodes.

There is a long roadmap of other things we have planned beyond the next few weeks, but the items above will likely keep us busy for the rest of this month

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    That sounds nice. It's a good list, with good priorities. I'd love to see new game modes sneak on to that list.

Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • Options
    New maps and performance fixes are probably my top two things right now. I have a somewhat poor ping (100-150) so the better their server stability, the better it is for me. Lately it has been unplayable most of the time, which is quite frustrating, as I really enjoy the game.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Deadstop fixes would be super nice. I hate hitting a weird bit of geometry (like a gentle slope I'm already skiing up or down) and then halting.

Also timing a Nitron as someone grabs the flag is a good defensive tactic. It gets the flag off your stand to so that you can push it into a corner somewhere so that a llama can return it to the stand just as another capper is coming in.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Like you, chasing is my favorite thing to do. To learn I watch Blinks' videos (he is a defender/chaser for one of the pro teams). e.g. http://www.twitch.tv/theblinks/b/310106358 (starting at 40 minutes) or http://www.twitch.tv/theblinks/b/310667535 (10-52 minutes). Of course, it is a little different in competitive games compared to randoms.

Patch Fixes:

1) Stability and performance
    2) Fix annoying issues and bugs such as deadstops, etc (including some things that feel bad at higher ping).
    3) Private servers
    4) Improved social/friends features
    5) New and better maps

Thanks for the link to that video! That had a ton of good information in it.

I'm really hoping we get to see private servers sooner than later. Then again, I've got a game server currently doing nothing, so I might be biased about that.

• Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    They've said that the game will be out of beta next month IIRC, so I imagine they're aiming to have private server functionality in by then (unless something goes horribly wrong).

Slicer on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Huh, they play competitive matches with very few people on each time. It's like a whole different game.

• Options
    Yeah 8v8 seems to be the standard, sometimes 7v7 or 9v9. I think it is to prevent defense from becoming too strong.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Had some good games with Ash today, also I totally did this:

http://youtu.be/96OGNP7IXhs?t=18s

Servers are having some serious lag issues too.

• Options
    Entertaining match to watch:

LD/Chase perspective: http://www.twitch.tv/theblinks/b/311406066
    Capper perspective: http://www.twitch.tv/thesmallkiwi/b/311406015

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, good times @nonoffensive and @garthor. Yeah, watching Blinks has been really good for upping my return game. After getting better at flag hunting, it really translates well into flag grabbing. You can get a feeling for when/where you're going to get cut off or hit.

Edit: I wish I had Blinks' assault rifle skills.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    Do we have a steam group?

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    The grenade jumping makes all the difference in LD... with the ammo upgrade you can go from 0 to a billion in no time

• Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    Here you go:

http://youtu.be/pjyUy5f3VIw

That is indeed very rad. It did remind me of a gripe I have with the game's graphics: skiing animation. If you watch someone skiing, it looks too much like a glitch. They're just kinda floating around and changing direction without any indication of how. To be clear, my gripe is with the model animation alone, not the mechanics of skiing. I think it would be really rad if each armour type had a different skiing animation. Maybe lights crouch down and skid along, leaving a small jet stream, while heavies have some sort of device pop out of their armour and they more rocket along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IrdXAn5bfo

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Ok, that Llama Island video (and the second one) is fucking hilarious.

I need to get back to playing this more.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    I can't stop watching this. I think I need help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V89AZvI-JNw

• Options
    Anyone else been getting mad lag lately?

• Options
    Yeah. The servers are not very stable at the moment, but it should be fixed soon according to Hi-Rez.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    I started playing this the other day.

Its soooo good.

Tonight while Rango was asleep, I was playing. Just started getting decent at flag running.
    The score was 4-4, there was 1 minute left in the match. Our carrier dies, their flag is returned. Im at their base fighting their carrier. He goes for the cap and my spinfusor lands on the flag first, killing him. I return our flag and grab theirs.
    30 seconds remaining
    Im injured from that fight, at about 50% health, and start my run back to our base. Its that big icey map. I have about 4 guys chasing me, and im dodging the crap outta bullets, watching them whizz pass where I was moments earlier.
    10 seconds remaining, literally less than 30 health, and I cap that sucker.

I almost woke up Rango with shouts of victory

• Options
    I was getting occasional spiky lag over the weekend. Maybe once an hour.

I've played a lot over the weekend and I've come to the conclusion that I would be pretty pleased with this game if they just got rid of Katabatic.

This game works better with smaller maps and smaller team sizes.

This discussion has been closed.