As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tribes] Ascend. - Updating OP, steamgroup listed for coordinating matches together!

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    hrmmmm I should change my name to poopfeast420

Believe me, it's taken.

• Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    citizen059 wrote: »

Believe me, it's taken.

Confirmed, been in several matches with him ;)

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I was in fact killed by weedsmoka666 earlier.

• Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    See, what I find amusing is so many people seem to take offense when I point out a problem with the game, and many of those people refuse to admit this game is anything but perfect.

In all honesty, it's not 'so many' it's about 3, but they go friggin apeshit any time you post anything that is even slightly critical and they don't agree with you, especially when it has even a whisper to do with the old games. I mean, heaven forbid you speak of anything other than ascend, you're supposed to pretend it's a whole new creation, birthed from hi-rez studios, with no lineage at all don't cha know.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Evoking the old games is not the issue. The issue is making an argument that boils down to "X should be Y because that's how TRIBES did it," with possibly an incredibly flimsy justification that amounts to a vague description of how things occasionally worked in older games.

Especially frustrating is when it's actually some arbitrary TRIBES mod, rather than the actual game, and yet still presented as "THIS IS HOW TRIBES DID IT."

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Boogdud wrote: »

Believe me, it's taken.

Confirmed, been in several matches with him ;)

In reality it's not that big of a deal. It's the fact that I'm even the least bit irked by it, which tells me I'm turning into my parents.

"YOU KIDS STOP WITH THOSE CRAZY NAMES, HAVE SOME RESPECT DAMMIT"

The fact that someone with said name is better than me at Tribes isn't relevant; just about anyone is better than me at Tribes.

Still fun though.

• Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    Played more than a half-hour of CTF today. It seems like teams get stacked pretty quickly - I haven't found many games where one team doesn't just dominate eventually.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Games need to stop letting people pick their team unless they are trying to group with friends.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Games need to stop letting people pick their team unless they are trying to group with friends.

indeed, Played a few matches with a couple of guys, was fairly fun but ctf gets boring quick, I either get frustrated that half the team is fucking around somewhere, or victory is easy enough that I get bored easily

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    The fact that someone with said name is better than me at Tribes isn't relevant; just about anyone is better than me at Tribes.

Still fun though.

This has been my experience.
    I sometimes fly into walls. I... bring shame to the Diamond Sword.
    And yet... WHEE JETPACKS!!11

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah, lopsided matches happen with too great of a frequency right now.

They need ranked matches or something soon.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Still fun though.

This has been my experience.
    I sometimes fly into walls. I... bring shame to the Diamond Sword.
    And yet... WHEE JETPACKS!!11

That last sentence?

You're doing it right.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Well, it's official, I'm playing a PC FPS.

My first match as a Doombringer, the enemy team starts calling me a dick and bitching at me for playing an "overpowered" class. What? Are Doombringers not supposed to sit on the flag and prevent pathfinders from capping? I was under the impression that was ALL they are good at.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Hey, we agree on a thing! I'm seeing too many matches of all 10-15s fighting level 30s.

• Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular

My first match as a Doombringer, the enemy team starts calling me a dick and bitching at me for playing an "overpowered" class. What? Are Doombringers not supposed to sit on the flag and prevent pathfinders from capping? I was under the impression that was ALL they are good at.

Yep,thats pretty much what you are supposed to do as a doombringer. But people just call everything they dont know how to handle overpowered this days so...

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular

They are attempting to utilize psychological warfare. Do not give in to it.

I had the same thing happen earlier when someone called me a pussy for daring to use fractal grenades while playing a Brute.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    People on servers just hate when they actually have to use *gasp* teamwork to win!

What do you mean one of us has to focus on keeping the flag stand clear so our team can run the flag?!

• Options
    it always confuses me when there is no one attacking the enemy base, but yet the flag is constantly being grabbed by the enemy, I assumed at least 1 person is watching the flag :(

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Hey, we agree on a thing! I'm seeing too many matches of all 10-15s fighting level 30s.

I don't mind playing against people of higher rank than me as long as my own team has a few of the same caliber. It's when one team consistently dominates another over multiple matches that things start to seem grim... auto balancing the teams to even out the skill levels would help a lot.

Got called a "faygott" for the first time while playing today. I remember why I don't play more online FPS games now.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular

I don't mind playing against people of higher rank than me as long as my own team has a few of the same caliber. It's when one team consistently dominates another over multiple matches that things start to seem grim... auto balancing the teams to even out the skill levels would help a lot.

Got called a "faygott" for the first time while playing today. I remember why I don't play more online FPS games now.

Well, at the very least there is no VOIP, so I tend to ignore everything that is typed. I suppose that I can't ignore all the shazbots, but they don't irk me so much. Also, my proper computer died, so I unfortunately cannot play for a bit. Which is sad. And I agree with the autobalance thing. While levels aren't quite so indicative of skill, there have only been a few games where one side wasn't dominating. Granted, noone who absolutely dominates, but still, 5-0, 5-1 scores are quite common. Funnily enough, most of the time it still feels like one can come back from it most times, even if you never do.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    The one I'd really like to see them implement is actually Find & Retrieve (F&R). In that one, a set of flags was placed in the middle of the map between two teams and they would have to rush the center, grab as many as they could, and bring them back to their base (while attempting to steal away their opponents' flags). Kind of like the Hunger Games, except less emo.

That's...nothing like the hunger games.

Stuff being in the middle and people having to rush in, grab as much as they can and rush out is vaguely similar to the scene in Hunger Games.

Stop being so disagreeable for one second please. Could I pay you real life money to leave the thread? What's your price?

Eh, just bugs me when people drop the "thing" of the moment into comparisons towards anything. That's an incredibly minor part of the Hunger Games, and I wouldn't call it emo either. I apologize that I have offended your eyeballs with my sentence. May you heal quickly.

For what it's worth, I agree. A mad dash for a singular objective does not make this "kind of like the Hunger Games, except less emo."

@A Flock of Walrus If you're you're going to criticize @SniperGuy for being disagreeable, try not to be a condescending goose in the same quote tree. The Hunger Games can be characterized in many ways, but "a mad dash for the center" was probably a single page in the entire novel. I don't even know what your "emo" comment was intended to do, besides come off as insulting.

You win, I guess?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Lalabox wrote: »

Well, at the very least there is no VOIP, so I tend to ignore everything that is typed. I suppose that I can't ignore all the shazbots, but they don't irk me so much. Also, my proper computer died, so I unfortunately cannot play for a bit. Which is sad. And I agree with the autobalance thing. While levels aren't quite so indicative of skill, there have only been a few games where one side wasn't dominating. Granted, noone who absolutely dominates, but still, 5-0, 5-1 scores are quite common. Funnily enough, most of the time it still feels like one can come back from it most times, even if you never do.

The /mute [playername] commanw blocks you from hearing their voice commands as well, which is very nice when people get spam happy.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yeah, this. Also, they need a proper lobby system, with rooms and everything. If there's one thing LoL does right it's how you can have chatrooms with statuses indicating what people are doing so you know when someone is online and available to play without having to cram every single person into your friends list.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    downloadin' this

ed: if I haven't made an account yet can I benefit somebody by kicking them a referral? Without dropping any cash, that is

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/?referral=407951&utm_campaign=email

This would benefit me! Thanks Eat it You Nasty Pig. Enjoy the game my friend!

On a side note : I kind of like SniperGuy!

I hate it when you guys fight, because this community is where I come to escape from all that!

sliver911 on
  • Options
    sliver911 wrote: »
    https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/?referral=407951&utm_campaign=email

This would benefit me! Thanks Eat it You Nasty Pig. Enjoy the game my friend!

On a side note : I kind of like SniperGuy!

I hate it when you guys fight, because this community is where I come to escape from all that!
    Awwww now I'm all blushing.

Wait, no, jetpack heat. Pew pew!

• Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Figgy wrote: »
    I don't even know what your "emo" comment was intended to do, besides come off as insulting.

You win, I guess?

I never called it emo. I just said the scene the other guy described was correct. It was kind of like that one scene from Hunger Games. You have confirmed this. Whatever dude.

Anyway, as a Doombringer, defending against good pathfinders on some maps is ridiculously difficult. Raindance!

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    ElectricBoogalooElectricBoogaloo Registered User regular
    My god arena must be where all the old tribes players hang out, I have never died so many times from direct spinfuser hits while airborne.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    My god arena must be where all the old tribes players hang out, I have never died so many times from direct spinfuser hits while airborne.

I do find that mode the most fun ofthe current modes. Well I haven't tried C&H yet. Might be similar for many other older tribes players too.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Fuck dubstep

There isnt much room to change your direction or velocity in arena maps, so air hits are easier, there is that too.

• Options
    Sniper Guy and I might disagree on most everything but don't think that means I dislike him. He's entitled to his opinions and my not agreeing with him isn't grounds to dislike the guy. He keeps our disagreements civil and I respect that.

I guess I'll give team deathmatch and arena a shake sometime today just to see what they are like, but I doubt they will replace CTF for me. I like high speed skiing routes too much :)

• Options
    ElectricBoogalooElectricBoogaloo Registered User regular
    I just beowulfed a pathfinder capper from halfway across the map. Over a mountain. My drop off so tight.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    pathfinder is fun!

also sorry dude, I made an account before I saw your post cause I wanted to shoot things

do you ever get more weapon opens than the two for each slot? I would like to give my pathfinder a thumper but it's not one of the default options

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    pathfinder is fun!

also sorry dude, I made an account before I saw your post cause I wanted to shoot things

do you ever get more weapon opens than the two for each slot? I would like to give my pathfinder a thumper but it's not one of the default options

No. While they loosened up the class restrictions and made the game feel more open between light medium and heavy loadouts, there are still restrictions about who can unlock what. Most have an alternate primary/secondary/grenade/pack to unlock. Some don't have one of each, but most do. The spinfusers and thumpers shared by multiple armor types share most weapon characteristics with one another, but have a tweak in them and it says so in the description.

Examples of this are Soldier Thumper DX vs Tech Thumper, Juggernaut Spinfuser MKD vs all other spinfusers.

• Options
    Given that the game is free to play, however, more and more weapons will be added to each slot over time.

I wonder if they ever intend on putting out any new classes?

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Creating classes to fill new roles seems unnecessary when you can instead create weapons that let existing classes fill those roles. Some of the classes already feel like they're stepping on each other's toes as is.

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    I can't go fast anymore. Tribes wont launch ever for some odd reason.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    Given that the game is free to play, however, more and more weapons will be added to each slot over time.

I wonder if they ever intend on putting out any new classes?
    Glal wrote: »
    Creating classes to fill new roles seems unnecessary when you can instead create weapons that let existing classes fill those roles. Some of the classes already feel like they're stepping on each other's toes as is.

It's a fair point, however, making new classes does give them the possibility of making new weapons or packs or whatever that might be too powerful when combined with some existing stuff. Keeping certain things locked away can be useful from a balancing perspective.

One thing I noticed is when you upgrade your armor , it says it's Pathfinder (or whatever) Mk.I armor. I wonder if down the road we'll get different Mk. armors with different upgrade paths too choose from.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Or possibly when all the old Tribes players play CTF, they're actually busy capturing the flag rather than shooting people, so it's only in Arena where they have nothing better to do that they spend time killing you.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    its true, usually in ctf I barely kill anyone, only flag cappers, otherwise I'm out trying to cap, and then in arena I get to just shoot people, yaaaaay

TheKoolEagle on
This discussion has been closed.