Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Tribes] Ascend. - Updating OP, steamgroup listed for coordinating matches together!

1565759616299

Posts

  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off. Escape while you can.Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    Two matches I just played ended 5-0 and 4-1.

    Reason?

    Defense.

    Also, oh God why can tanks get into the gen room in the new map?

    Until you can show me a replay with two equally skilled teams, I'm going to go with my own experiences rather than your anecdotal score charts. Every game I've played, defending the generator has been a useless endeavor.

    edit: I could totally be in favor of bubble forcefields.

    Yes, yes, because one of these is different than the other.

  • BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    Heh, Baidol is forgetting something in his anecdotes, his own talent. It should read something more like this:

    "Two matches I just played ended 5-0 and 4-1.

    Reason?

    I was playing."

    Seriously, it's funny how in pub games one or two really skilled players can literally take over a match.

    Which is kind of a disappointment in this game for me. I've always thought of it as much more of a real team game with multiple things going on, all of which really make a huge impact on the overall game. But it's like Hi-Rez decided to strip the game of all of the nuance to avoid role confusion. This game shares much more with an unreal tournament ctf match rather than something from a tribes lineage.


  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off. Escape while you can.Registered User regular
    Please, my team lost both those games. My corpses clogged the hallways of the enemy base as I kept trying to crack the gen and flag room.

  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    Two matches I just played ended 5-0 and 4-1.

    Reason?

    Defense.

    Also, oh God why can tanks get into the gen room in the new map?

    Until you can show me a replay with two equally skilled teams, I'm going to go with my own experiences rather than your anecdotal score charts. Every game I've played, defending the generator has been a useless endeavor.

    edit: I could totally be in favor of bubble forcefields.

    Yes, yes, because one of these is different than the other.

    Was it not clear that I was saying we both have anecdotes and thus can't decide without proper evidence? My bad. I'm tired of this thread being "You're wrong! No you're wrong!" is all. We need evidence, as there's plenty of people on both sides.

    I'd need to see two equally skilled teams working together to figure out if it's balanced well. Personally, I don't think it is.

    3DS: 2509-1593-4994
    Steam Profile
    PSN ID: Dohaeris210
    Treadmill Desk Twitch Stream : status.php?streamuser=SniperGuy210
  • BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    I think it probably comes down to the fact that most of us have been playing with pubs. So wildly inconsistent results is probably to be expected. Not sure how hi rez will deal with these issues when ranked folks start taking advantage of all the (so far perceived) flaws in the design. It'll be interesting to see anyway.

  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off. Escape while you can.Registered User regular
    I imagine any such faults will become readily apparent very quickly in that situation.

    Also, I would like to mention that the new Soldier utility pack that let's me carry four grenades is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

  • SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    Now that they've separated the XP into different bars, you can see that the "performance bonus" is as bad as everyone suspected. One game I literally have more kills than the rest of my team combined, twice as much score as the next guy, fill out the accolades window and my performance bonus is 150. Next game I finish in the middle of the pack, don't do anything special at all and end up with 162. In both games the timer was five minutes or so from running out.

  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off. Escape while you can.Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if performance is linked to the various medals you get.

    I was harassing the enemy generator for a while in a game last night and ended up with 20 or so Flag Defender medals, which is its own problem because my flag was nowhere near the enemy gen room. Anyway, I had a fairly large performance bonus.

  • neil5280neil5280 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm going to miss the old Bella Omega gen room. I use to love hanging out down in the enemy gen room as a Raider just racking up kills. If they eliminate all the cramped quarters in the map, what fun is my Raider going to have?

    I haven't played it yet, I just watched this video:

    neil5280 on
  • DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Boogdud wrote: »
    I think it probably comes down to the fact that most of us have been playing with pubs. So wildly inconsistent results is probably to be expected.

    I think you summed up perfectly what I was trying to say a couple pages ago. If you're playing Tech or Doombringer and relying on randoms to support you (primarily defending and upgrading the gen and keeping spinfusor snipers and mortars away) or your randoms decide to play Gen Wars and the Pathfinders dominate the game, I can totally understand how you'd get the impression that defense doesn't matter and spam offense rules the game.

    This is the team game you want it to be, but it requires more of a team than most pub games can provide. Every time I play, it's with at least three other people in Skype chat. We utterly dominate 80% of the games we play and being able to coordinate our defense is a huge part of it. If the randoms are off playing TDM and we need defense, the three of us going HoF, Sniper, and Harasser/Repairer can completely lockdown the flag with good teamwork and deployables. It's goddamn beautiful and the next game even the randoms start to try and setup a defense (though this usually results in the Gen Wars scenario).

    Get little group together and use a voice chat program. Maybe we can put together a PA game sometime in the future. I'm confident you'll see what what a lot of us are talking about.

    DogEight on
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    I've gotten tired of getting mortared and air-striked on the flag, so now I play TDM near our base trying to keep heavies and people going for the gen busy with me. Since so many other heavies want to stand on the flag, seems to be working out better, although I just cannot hit some people. They are standing inside the smoke when my Thumper goes off, why don't they take damage? I keep thinking its me, but then I kill another heavy with 4 perfect hits. Arg

    Also, wtf is up with the Thumper DX doing 1200 to tanks? My discs used to do 800 maybe? I never thought the Thumper would be more effective. Did they boost spinfusors this patch? Tons of people are using them all of a sudden.

  • DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    Credit goes to Ratsult for passing this on to me: Tribes Weapon Chart

    Use the drop down menu at the top to see damage vs. Beowulf

  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    DogEight wrote:
    Credit goes to Ratsult for passing this on to me: Tribes Weapon Chart

    Use the drop down menu at the top to see damage vs. Beowulf

    Ahhhh, somebody got mathcraft in my Tribes :) Thanks for the link

  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    that new gen placement looks terrible. but I overall hate bella omega anyways.

  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    neil5280 wrote: »
    I'm going to miss the old Bella Omega gen room. I use to love hanging out down in the enemy gen room as a Raider just racking up kills. If they eliminate all the cramped quarters in the map, what fun is my Raider going to have?

    I haven't played it yet, I just watched this video:

    Well that's uh. Certainly a change. I liked the version of Bella Omega with the flag in that little room with the doors. Now it's on a giant open platform and the generator is in a big ass room on the ground floor of the tower instead of the basement?

    HiRez very clearly doesn't make the Tribes game that I and many other former Tribes players want to play. Making generators even more open? Why?! If you're enjoying it, great, but it's sad that they're changing the franchise so much in my opinion, for the worse.

    Why did they change it to a single generator instead of two, like in T2/T1 anyway?

    :(

    3DS: 2509-1593-4994
    Steam Profile
    PSN ID: Dohaeris210
    Treadmill Desk Twitch Stream : status.php?streamuser=SniperGuy210
  • neil5280neil5280 Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    neil5280 wrote: »
    I'm going to miss the old Bella Omega gen room. I use to love hanging out down in the enemy gen room as a Raider just racking up kills. If they eliminate all the cramped quarters in the map, what fun is my Raider going to have?

    I haven't played it yet, I just watched this video:

    Well that's uh. Certainly a change. I liked the version of Bella Omega with the flag in that little room with the doors. Now it's on a giant open platform and the generator is in a big ass room on the ground floor of the tower instead of the basement?

    HiRez very clearly doesn't make the Tribes game that I and many other former Tribes players want to play. Making generators even more open? Why?! If you're enjoying it, great, but it's sad that they're changing the franchise so much in my opinion, for the worse.

    Why did they change it to a single generator instead of two, like in T2/T1 anyway?

    :(

    I never played T1 or T2, but that's why I was excited about TA. I was hoping for an authentic Tribes experience, but the more I hear how different this is from T1 and T2, the less enthusiastic about it I get. I want a chance to experience the team work and intricate play that so many have lauded about T1 and T2.

    I guess I'll just have to face that I missed that golden age of FPS, and live with it. HiRez doesn't seem to want to help me out.

  • neil5280neil5280 Registered User regular
    Maybe someone should just release a Tribes 1:HD. *sigh*

  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    neil5280 wrote:
    Maybe someone should just release a Tribes 1:HD. *sigh*

    i would pay $500 for this game.

    i would also pay $500 for tribes 2 hd.

  • Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Registered User regular
    I think some peoples rose tinted glasses are so rosy they have petals in their eyes. As for moving the generator it's still a Beta, game elements subject to change.

    Steam | Boycott Edcrab!
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think some peoples rose tinted glasses are so rosy they have petals in their eyes. As for moving the generator it's still a Beta, game elements subject to change.

    I think you underestimate the time some of us spent playing T1 and T2. My username is from T1. The entire reason I did tech support is because when I got T2 buildings looked like giant purple fortress of solitudes. The games mean a lot to me and this one is just missing that spark.

    3DS: 2509-1593-4994
    Steam Profile
    PSN ID: Dohaeris210
    Treadmill Desk Twitch Stream : status.php?streamuser=SniperGuy210
  • BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    Not sure that it's rose colored glasses, so much as it's just the fact that games (esspecially the fps genre) have really been trending towards lower complexity and learning curves for years. We are just getting a tribes product for a modern warfare market. As opposed to a fps for the simulation gamer market like when the original starseige and starseige tribes came out.

    Like it or not, its just a sign of the times. Companies just don't publish games like the original tribes anymore for the same reason they don't publish games like the old x-wing simulators and such. Heck tribes was a niche game when it originally came out and that's when games like Microsoft flight Sim, falcon and the Jane's simulators sold tons. Games had 200 page paper manuals ffs.

  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Boogdud wrote: »
    Not sure that it's rose colored glasses, so much as it's just the fact that games (esspecially the fps genre) have really been trending towards lower complexity and learning curves for years. We are just getting a tribes product for a modern warfare market. As opposed to a fps for the simulation gamer market like when the original starseige and starseige tribes came out.

    Like it or not, its just a sign of the times. Companies just don't publish games like the original tribes anymore for the same reason they don't publish games like the old x-wing simulators and such. Heck tribes was a niche game when it originally came out and that's when games like Microsoft flight Sim, falcon and the Jane's simulators sold tons. Games had 200 page paper manuals ffs.

    The saddest, yet most apt description of Ascend I have yet heard is "Tribes: COD"

    3DS: 2509-1593-4994
    Steam Profile
    PSN ID: Dohaeris210
    Treadmill Desk Twitch Stream : status.php?streamuser=SniperGuy210
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    For those missing classic Tribes 2 action, curb your un-enthusiasm here:
    I was just thinking about starting a Tribes 2 Game On thread, too. If anyone's itching for something to fill the gap before we know more about Ascend, check out Tribes Next. The downloads section has everything you need to get Tribes 2 up and running - and it's been free since 2004.

    I did try it last week. The Goons Server gets action, played in a 28 person game and it was good minus my lack of skills.

    I don't mean this negatively either. I played some ascend, and tried the tribes 2, it is just not the same for me anymore with only 1 server to opt for, and people being light years beyond my skill.

    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    I think some peoples rose tinted glasses are so rosy they have petals in their eyes. As for moving the generator it's still a Beta, game elements subject to change.

    Bella Omega seems to get some changes every other patch anyways. I'm sure HiRez is keeping note of any feedback about these changes and we'll probably see more changes to it if needed.

  • DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    Alright, I'm going to try and put this a little better than Garthor did, but man, am I understanding why he got so frustrated...

    I played a bit of T1 and a good deal of T2, but I can accept T:A for being a fun, yet different take on the series. If you don't think the same way, that's fine, but repeating yourself over and over that it's Tribes:CoD, that "this isn't MY Tribes", and just constantly comparing T:A to the previous games in the series... you're not contributing to the discussion, you're poisoning it.

    By all means, let's talk about the flaws and imbalances in T:A, but narrow your focus to Tribes:Ascend not Tribes:The Franchise. It's a sad day when 4ch-- can have regular, positive, and creative T:A discussions up at all times, but PA can't go 2 pages without an infraction or yet another "This isn't the same as T1/T2!".

  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2012
    DogEight wrote: »
    Alright, I'm going to try and put this a little better than Garthor did, but man, am I understanding why he got so frustrated...

    I played a bit of T1 and a good deal of T2, but I can accept T:A for being a fun, yet different take on the series. If you don't think the same way, that's fine, but repeating yourself over and over that it's Tribes:CoD, that "this isn't MY Tribes", and just constantly comparing T:A to the previous games in the series... you're not contributing to the discussion, you're poisoning it.

    By all means, let's talk about the flaws and imbalances in T:A, but narrow your focus to Tribes:Ascend not Tribes:The Franchise. It's a sad day when 4ch-- can have regular, positive, and creative T:A discussions up at all times, but PA can't go 2 pages without an infraction or yet another "This isn't the same as T1/T2!".

    I think it's entirely reasonable to discuss the other games in the franchise in comparison to this one. This doesn't feel like a Tribes game. I did repeat myself about Tribes: CoD, but only in response to someone else commenting on the same thing. My other comment was in regards to a patch to a map. I'm not just copy pasting the same things over and over, I'm discussing the design decisions of the development team. It's still in beta, they're still working on it.

    I think the best thing I can compare it to is X:Com. When the FPS got announced people were pissed. It could have been a damn good FPS, but it's just not X:COM. This feels very, very similar to that situation. It's got the name, but it's not a Tribes game.

    The thing is is that I want Tribes:Ascend to succeed. I think the discussions we've had so far have been very productive and people have come up with some great ideas for how to get that old flavor back without just remaking the originals (Which, to be fair, would be totally awesome as well). I do think constantly telling people to stop discussing the old games and talking about the negative aspects of this game is definitely bringing down discussion though.

    And the last infraction was for someone saying "im drunk" and that was three pages ago! Totally making progress, haha.

    I think that if they continue to go the route they are going this game will not live very long. Patching/maintenance is expensive and they've alienated enough of the previous fanbase with design decisions and continue to make weird changes like the Bella Omega generator to alienate the new players to make me think that it won't have the staying power and in a year will get flat cancelled. I do apologize if I have frustrated you with my posts, as that was not my intent, but I think discussing the flaws and the direction they're going isn't a bad thing in the slightest as hopefully they can fix them before the game just goes completely under. Besides, my discussing this with some people does not prevent you from discussing the game in other ways.

    SniperGuy on
    3DS: 2509-1593-4994
    Steam Profile
    PSN ID: Dohaeris210
    Treadmill Desk Twitch Stream : status.php?streamuser=SniperGuy210
  • Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo The Po͏si̡tiv͢e͟ Perspective Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    It's a Tribes thread. People can discuss the old games. It's inevitable, really.

    The problem is that you all can't seem to go two pages without hissing and clawing at each other.

    XsDScNN.gif
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I think that if they continue to go the route they are going this game will not live very long. Patching/maintenance is expensive and they've alienated enough of the previous fanbase with design decisions and continue to make weird changes like the Bella Omega generator to alienate the new players to make me think that it won't have the staying power and in a year will get flat cancelled. I do apologize if I have frustrated you with my posts, as that was not my intent, but I think discussing the flaws and the direction they're going isn't a bad thing in the slightest as hopefully they can fix them before the game just goes completely under. Besides, my discussing this with some people does not prevent you from discussing the game in other ways.

    They could alienate 100% of the previous fanbase and, hoenstly, the game would probably be healthier for it. Tribes fans seem to be, on the whole, goddamn poisonous for a community.

    See: this thread.

    Garthor on
    Pony_Sig.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well I obviously disagree Garthor, but I think the thread would be better off without arguments about the player base.

    3DS: 2509-1593-4994
    Steam Profile
    PSN ID: Dohaeris210
    Treadmill Desk Twitch Stream : status.php?streamuser=SniperGuy210
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    The problem with Tribes has two separate focuses that emerged out of the original engine. You have high-speed skiing and dueling that focus on individual skill combined with a larger warfare sandbox that would require a chain of command to manage. Anytime you get in a vehicle you lose the freedom of movement that skiing gives you.

    In a lot of ways, Planetside and Battlefield took the large warfare sandbox and made it their own. The movement in Tribes is still a unique gameplay mechanic, and its a smart move to focus on what sets the game apart from whats already available. The smaller map size makes the game move faster, the open flag stands ensure that one person can't just spam grenades and mortars to lock it down all game. Autofire weapons help you kill flag carriers faster and airstrikes allow you to assault the base without waiting for a teammate to switch to heavy armor and slog across the map. Its not the same game, its much faster, and speed is a quality that Tribes has come to represent.

    I don't know if HiRez planned it from the beginning, or if it was a result of engine limitations, but they don't have the same massive game size that influenced the feel of the original games. As a result, the focus of the game is narrowed to emphasize individual skill and an aggressive play style. Who knows, they released Arenas, they might release Warzones in the next patch with 64 players, more vehicles, and no airstrikes or call-ins. I'd like to see that, but I'm not convinced its needed or that people would play it. A smaller gamesize doesn't remove strategy, it focuses it down to an accessible level. Having two generators instead of one doesn't change strategy or magically make them more important. It complicates the game and requires twice the effort to defend and attack. I can't imagine trying to defend and repair two separate generators by myself, its not like I'm going to get twice the help in a pub.

  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I have yet to play T:A, but rhetorically lumping T1 and T2 together seems weird to me seeing as how the first game to split the Tribes fanbase and cause anger and vitriol on internet message boards was called "Tribes 2."

    Spoiler:
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2012
    august wrote: »
    I have yet to play T:A, but rhetorically lumping T1 and T2 together seems weird to me seeing as how the first game to split the Tribes fanbase and cause anger and vitriol on internet message boards was called "Tribes 2."
    That was because of many various changes to the game, but the core gameplay and mechanics remained the same. Ascend has changed the core gameplay and mechanics, while retaining the outer appearance of Tribes.

    Of course, there's always people who get all upset anytime anything changes. But I really liked T2 as well as T1.

    edit: Regarding 2 generators, they were almost always in the same room as far as I know. All it did was give defense a little easier of a time, as far as I know.

    What confuses me is that people say things like "A smaller gamesize doesn't remove strategy, it focuses it down to an accessible level." while also talking about how a coordinated team can pull off the defense, whereas a group of pugs cannot. Yet in T1 and T2, pug groups seemed to figure it out just fine, wherein this, it doesn't seem to work. That's why I feel like defense doesn't work as well at least.

    SniperGuy on
    3DS: 2509-1593-4994
    Steam Profile
    PSN ID: Dohaeris210
    Treadmill Desk Twitch Stream : status.php?streamuser=SniperGuy210
  • SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    I think somebody needs to start another thread called "[Tribes] Lament the good old days", that way we can keep all positive, fun conversation pertaining to Tribes: Ascend in this one.

    I could easily go into half the threads on the first page and moan over and over about how previous games in those series were superior for x, y and z, and I'm sure many others here could too. But then you might as well shut down the forums.

  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think somebody needs to start another thread called "[Tribes] Lament the good old days", that way we can keep all positive, fun conversation pertaining to Tribes: Ascend in this one.

    I could easily go into half the threads on the first page and moan over and over about how previous games in those series were superior for x, y and z, and I'm sure many others here could too. But then you might as well shut down the forums.

    Except this is a beta, and we're discussing things that are wrong and need to be fixed. And still can be.

    Because it's a beta.

    As far as I know, no one is saying this game is bad because it isn't the old games. I'm saying the game has problems. It has improved in some ways and gotten worse in other ways, and some of those problems are the result of trying to change things from the old way for the worse. I don't mind change for the better, I mind change that breaks or impedes the game. For instance, inventory stations have zero purpose at the moment. You can't even blow them up. The only reason they're still in the game is because they were in the previous games.

    3DS: 2509-1593-4994
    Steam Profile
    PSN ID: Dohaeris210
    Treadmill Desk Twitch Stream : status.php?streamuser=SniperGuy210
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    okay so the new bella gen room sucks I take it all back jesus

  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off. Escape while you can.Registered User regular
    While the new Bella Omega generator room does, in fact, suck, it did provide me with my first quad kill today.

    Spammed grenades and killed four technicians.

  • BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    Nothing like seeing a friggin tank in your gen room to make you scratch your head.

  • Thrawn200Thrawn200 Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    They could alienate 100% of the previous fanbase and, hoenstly, the game would probably be healthier for it.
    See: this thread.

    Can't tell if trolling or.....

    Baidol wrote: »
    While the new Bella Omega generator room does, in fact, suck, it did provide me with my first quad kill today.

    Spammed grenades and killed four technicians.

    My new play style for Bella has just become take juggernaut and ski into the base spamming motors and grenades. Often you just get off a few rounds and die, but you just respawn and go right back in. This will usually put you on top for kills and points because if they are making a defense at all you can usually get a few spam kills. If they aren't defending you go squat in the gen room and start killing the defense when it shows up.

    Regarding the new lava map, has anyone else noticed that it seems to have a problem with like "catches" on the terrain where it will be a smooth slope but you'll hit something to stop and damage you like you hit a short wall or something?

    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes
  • Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo The Po͏si̡tiv͢e͟ Perspective Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Garthor wrote: »
    They could alienate 100% of the previous fanbase and, hoenstly, the game would probably be healthier for it. Tribes fans seem to be, on the whole, goddamn poisonous for a community.

    See: this thread.
    This does not help. Knock it off.

    XsDScNN.gif
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off. Escape while you can.Registered User regular
    Boogdud wrote: »
    Nothing like seeing a friggin tank in your gen room to make you scratch your head.

    So, I'm playing the new lava map, chilling in the enemy's generator room by one of the entrance...ramps? Tunnels? Do those things have a name?

    Anyway, I see this red triangle coming down, so I prepare myself.

    Then, in hilarious cinema slow motion, a tank rolls out of the ramp, and the turret turns to point at me.

This discussion has been closed.