Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Dragon Age Thread - [Please post in new thread]

• Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Wow. this is a thing.
    Bethany Faces For Isabella

For You who can't Romance Bethany, because Bioware says Incest is Wrong but Gay is Aggreable

...what?

What kind of equivocating is that? D:

• spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In terms of companions and their stories, this game is probably the best Bioware has ever done.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Man. I don't understand Merrill's personal quest chain at all. Spoilered since a bunch of you haven't been able to complete it.
    Spoiler:

I went along with her plan and the end was super fucked
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Dude.
    Spoiler:

BN_Sig3.jpg
  • StollyStolly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Stolly wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    spamfilter wrote: »

Also, Anders end game spoiler
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Not really.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• Skull2185Skull2185 Yoomanity's best hope I should goRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man. I don't understand Merrill's personal quest chain at all. Spoilered since a bunch of you haven't been able to complete it.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

3DS FC: 5129-0946-8305
    PSN: DrSkullnumbers
  • Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Not really.
    Spoiler:

Pretty much this.
    Spoiler:

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Dude.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

steam_sig.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Dude.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• ShenShen UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, gonna have to give up on Nightmare. General consensus is that it isn't beatable without abusing kiting, which hasn't been fun since Artorius in Winterspring. Pretty disappointing, but eh.

NDBwPJF.jpg
    Origin: shenlongxz | 3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | D3: Ladi#2485 (EU)
    edited March 2011
    Shen wrote: »
    Yeah, gonna have to give up on Nightmare. General consensus is that it isn't beatable without abusing kiting, which hasn't been fun since Artorius in Winterspring. Pretty disappointing, but eh.
    Devs have said that the ones that beat it did so without kiting, so general consensus is probably wrong.

steam_sig.png

edited March 2011
    Devs have said that the ones that beat it did so without kiting, so general consensus is probably wrong.

And I beat Dead Space2 on Zealot difficulty with default suit and a plasma cutter with no upgrades. :P

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't think I can play this again on the computer. Playing as a mage has been alright but there's been a lot of times where I'll be standing around in combat not attacking anything because I either can't see where my tiny pointer is or I can't get it to hover over the small exposed part of the enemy being clustered by my allies.

I imagine it being much worse for melee characters.

The controls in the console demo seemed much more usable in regards to attacking

ALSO: just did Varric's act 2 quest
    Spoiler:

steam_sig.png
    Behance Portfolio I Amazonian I PSN- Subtle_Ties | 3DS: 3840-5210-2008 (Subtle)
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to close this thread by saying that I love how folks criticize the voice actors for their horrible accent of such-and-such, when that accent is actually their native one.

American's ideas about what accent is and isn't correct are pretty funny.

(Edit: and I say that as an American.)

steam_sig.png
    Battletag: Threeve#1501
    edited March 2011
    I don't think I can play this again on the computer. Playing as a mage has been alright but there's been a lot of times where I'll be standing around in combat not attacking anything because I either can't see where my tiny pointer is or I can't get it to hover over the small exposed part of the enemy being clustered by my allies.

YEuNC.jpg

steam_sig.png

• StollyStolly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

YEuNC.jpg

I switched it to TAB, just to make it feel just like WoW.

• hottoqhottoq Registered User
    edited March 2011
    hottoq wrote: »
    The fact that it's done so well is what cements this as a great game. So far, one of my favorites of the past couple years. Far far above DA:O in my eyes. It's a much more personal game, and I guess some will take exception to that, but I'll take that any day of the week when 99.9% of games are about defeating the uber evil and saving the world.

I wouldn't place it far far above DA:O, a game I really liked and which felt, in many ways, more polished than DA 2, which really feels rushed in many areas, such as the re-use of dungeons. However I really agree about how Bioware took a step in the right direction story wise. In my opinion there were a few things that could have been done better but overall I enjoyed this game, warts and all, more than pretty much all other Bioware games simply because the story was such a radical departure from BIO's usual save the world plot structure.

DA:O was damned fine but, IMO, hampered by it's very traditional story. DA 2 felt much more like the game I hoped for when the first decriptions of DA as a new franchise set in a mature fantasy world started to surface.

See, I only just played DA:O and Awakening right before DA2 came out, but I really fell in love with the game world and the overarching story, read every single codex entry and even the 2 books.

But DA:O felt a lot more rushed to me than DA2 has so far. Every single character in the game looks like it was spit out of a random character generator. Not even your companions looked like unique models (I counted 3 or 4 Alistair lookalikes, for example). Compare this to DA2, which has uniquely awesome designs not just for your companions but for some of the major characters too like Flemeth, the Arishok, the Viscount, the Knight-Commander, etc. The races, too, all looked the same: the elves were humans with pointy ears, the dwarves were short humans. And they all sounded the same, no accents or anything. And don't even get me started on Sten.

They did all this work setting up the world in the codices, such as the Dalish hatred and distrust of humans, but this is barely mentioned at all in the main quest when you go to the Brecilian Forest with your Warden. The Dalish are like, "Oh you want to see the Keeper? Come right in!" I noticed a bunch of examples of this throughout, just missed opportunities to do something interesting.

The characters were mostly boring and one note, too, with extremely short personal quests. I mean most of the personal quests could be completed in like 5 or 10 minutes. Coming off the awesome 1hr+ companion quests in ME2, this was a big disappointment. The only real exception was Shale.

The cutscenes were mostly just talking heads with some of the worst animation I've ever seen. No effort put into them whatsoever. Compare that to DA2, which has had some amaaaazing cutscenes.

Plus the dungeons in the main plot just went on and on and on and on. I hated that, and am glad they fixed that in DA2 even if that meant having them reused so frequently.

DA2 feels like the realization of the promise of DA:O.

• ShenShen UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Could you point me in the direction of their strategy then?

NDBwPJF.jpg
    Origin: shenlongxz | 3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | D3: Ladi#2485 (EU)
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

YEuNC.jpg

x100,000 this.

Dragon Age 2: Type R

Can't play without it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So about that Merrill bug I've been hearing about, besides spoiling a future Act 3 companion quest, it doesn't actually do anything game breaking, right?

Terumibanner.png?t=1392999791
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    edited March 2011
    So about that Merrill bug I've been hearing about, besides spoiling a future Act 3 companion quest, it doesn't actually do anything game breaking, right?
    From what I've heard, no. I didn't get it either time, so I can't really say for sure though.

steam_sig.png

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Decoy wrote: »

YEuNC.jpg

x100,000 this.

Dragon Age 2: Type R

Can't play without it.

I apparently didn't dig through the keybinds menu... well now I take that back.

steam_sig.png
    Behance Portfolio I Amazonian I PSN- Subtle_Ties | 3DS: 3840-5210-2008 (Subtle)
    edited March 2011
    From what I've heard, no. I didn't get it either time, so I can't really say for sure though.

Did you do the romance with her? I chose not to, and I never got the bug. I'm also thinking it might be happening on the PC more frequently, but who knows.

• SpaffySpaffy Sweet Sassy Molassy! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to close this thread by saying that I love how folks criticize the voice actors for their horrible accent of such-and-such, when that accent is actually their native one.

American's ideas about what accent is and isn't correct are pretty funny.

(Edit: and I say that as an American.)

I pointed out something like this earlier in the thread. Someone said it was a nice touch how all the elves are Irish. Except Merril, who is Welsh.

Her accent flat out annoys me because she is an anglicised Welsh person, which makes her accent sound like an Englishman doing a bad Welsh impersonation. It doesn't quite annoy me as much as Joe Fiennes in Flashforward, but it's close.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Not really.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alright bros. I'm nearing the end of Act 3, and there are a few things I'm missing, which I would like to find before finishing out the game. I have compiled a list of what I'm looking for, and I will spoiler tag it just to play it safe.
    Spoiler:

BN_Sig3.jpg
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Daris wrote: »
    That's not possible. The WoW forums are full of people who play WoW.

Right now, the WoW forums are English Gentlemen in comparison.

Instead of "I PAY MY 15 A MONTH, NOW CHANGE THE GAME TO THIS WAY SO I'LL LIKE IT MORE"

its

"I PAID MY 60 DOLLARS FOR THIS, NOW MAKE IT HOW I LIKE IT."

As a recovering WoW addict (got my 1-year coin in November) I can say that the difference between the two is that Blizzard actually caves to those "I pay $15 a month!" people.

Endgame encounter, Fenris note/spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Also, regarding the last fight:
    Spoiler:

It's not just you. My non-controlled companions were absolutely laying waste to shit just as if they were in my party.

-edit-

The really nice thing about this is that for the last several fights it ends up not mattering much what your party composition is. I went tankless and it was fine because the warriors had tactics set up to grab aggro and they continued to do so on their own while I controlled mages and rogues directly.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alright bros. I'm nearing the end of Act 3, and there are a few things I'm missing, which I would like to find before finishing out the game. I have compiled a list of what I'm looking for, and I will spoiler tag it just to play it safe.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Per3th.jpg
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    To be fair to Meredith
    Spoiler:

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited March 2011
    Spoiler:

You get ambrosia
    Spoiler:

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Is there a link here? I've definitely heard "a dev has beat it so its okay" a few times now, but never "without kiting".

edited March 2011
    So, both times through I missed the chest piece for the Act 2 Armor Set. Where is it, anyway?

edit: as for my no kiting statement, I'm not going through the official forums for it, because frankly I don't care about Nightmare that much :( So just treat it with the same level you'd treat "my uncle's friend's cousin's college roommate's brother works for Bioware and told me a thing" Sorry :(

steam_sig.png

edited March 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    To be fair to Meredith
    Spoiler:

Very true.
    Spoiler:

edited March 2011
    So, both times through I missed the chest piece for the Act 2 Armor Set. Where is it, anyway?
    Is this the Stone whatchamacallit? It's actually in Act 3, in a shop. I've never even bothered picking it up.

Per3th.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    To be fair to Meredith
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    Is this the Stone whatchamacallit? It's actually in Act 3, in a shop. I've never even bothered picking it up.

At that point you're going to end up having the Champion Chestpiece soon, so it's not worth spending the money on it.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Dashui wrote: »

At that point you're going to end up having the Champion Chestpiece soon, so it's not worth spending the money on it.

You have to go through the "Mine Massacre" quest to get the chestpiece, though, and that's a very hard quest.

edited March 2011
    Oh man. Champion Rogue armor set is fucking boss, its got a proper hood and errything.

Found out waaaaaaay too late that Ser Isaac's armor is rogue armor though... I was really excited to use it too. Maybe when I finishe my warrior and mage playthroughs I'll do a ranged rogue playthrough.

edited March 2011

You have to go through the "Mine Massacre" quest to get the chestpiece, though, and that's a very hard quest.

Pffft. On Normal that fight is a joke.

Pride Unbound is harder. Much harder.

edited March 2011

Doesn't even need to be the Champion piece. You can get the Cuirass of the Centurion from Fenris' quest which is open immediately. It's pretty comparable, stat-wise. And it totally looks better.

Per3th.jpg
    edited March 2011

Doesn't even need to be the Champion piece. You can get the Cuirass of the Centurion from Fenris' quest which is open immediately. It's pretty comparable, stat-wise. And it totally looks better.

Blugh. Too bulky, Warplate of the Champion looks better.

This discussion has been closed.