As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Faction: Armageddon - The chances of anything coming from Mars... - Out Now

KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
rfatitle.jpg

Release Platforms: PS3, Xbox 360, PC
Release Date: 7th June 2011 for NA, 10th June for EU & AU
Official Website: http://www.redfaction.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In 2125, during the events of Red Faction: Guerilla, Alec Mason delivered the final blow to the oppression of the Earth Defense Force and Mars was liberated.

Things have gone downhill in the fifty years that have passed since then. In 2160, a terrorist attack destroyed the massive terraforming machine which kept the surface of the planet supplied with breathable air. With no air to breathe and super-tornadoes and violent lightning storms scouring the surface, the colonists wisely fled into the underground mines and adapted them into a network of habitable caves where they've been for the past ten years.

Meet Darius Mason, grandson of the famed Red Faction revolutionaries Alec Mason and Samanya.

rfadarius.jpg

He's doing relatively well for himself. He runs a series of rather lucrative businesses dealing in a number of ventures, including mining, scavenging and mercenary work. Unfortunately for him, the scavenging part of his business has recently gotten him into a spot of trouble.

You see, he was persuaded by a fanatical Marauder priest to re-open a old shaft in a old Marauder temple.

It was not a wise decision because there's something down there.

rfacreep.jpg

A lot of somethings....

rfaswarm.jpg

Details

Red Faction: Armageddon is being made by Volition, Inc and is a direct sequel to Red Faction: Guerilla. A third person action-adventure game, it will center on Darius Mason as he joins with the titular Red Faction and attempts to deal with the alien menace he's inadvertently released. Players will have to fight to reclaim cultist fortifications on the disaster-ravaged surface of the planet and defend colonists from hostile Martian creatures in the ancient mines and chasms beneath it, cleansing infestations and freeing humans from imprisonment in alien cocoons.

A number of game play elements are being carried over from Red Faction: Guerrilla, such as the focus on fully destructible environments. However, Red Faction: Guerrilla's open-world approach has been done away with in exchange for more linear and directed gameplay, which is intended to help deliver a better progression of the narrative and a sense of suspense and tension when traversing the sometimes claustrophobic interiors of the game.

Another change is in the weaponry available to the player. Whilst a number of old favourites will be returning, there are going to be plenty of new toys to help satisfy any destructive urges you may have, including...

rfamag.jpg

rfashock.jpg

Finally, there is a superweapon.... a weapon the type of which has never been seen before....

Previews & Videos

Here are some previews, Hands-on articles and videos that might get you interested in this game.

First up are a couple of Trailers.

RF:A Trailer

RF:A Trailer 2

Here you can find a Hands-on from Eurogamer.

Here's a Hands-on from Gamespot, which also features the following game play demo.

RF:A Demo

Here's a quick look at the Ruin mode which is basically just a large area full of structures and you with infinite ammo.

RF:A Ruin Mode

Here's a look at a sequence where you fly a Marauder ship through a set of tunnels in a style similar to Descent.

And last, but by no means least, there's this Quick Look from Giant Bomb.

If all this isn't enough to whet your appetite for this game, then I don't know what is.

Oh, and here are a couple of bonus videos that I've been asked to put in here.

It's not an RF thread without...

If you were wondering about the thread title....

MGRSig2.jpg
Kitsuna on

• Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can't wait for this game.

The first had some of the best multiplayer I've played.

Arrath on
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh wow this is coming out sooner than I thought

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I approve of the thread title.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There should be a parade for whoever thought up the Magnet Gun.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I saw the quick look on Giant Bomb yesterday and my interest went up significantly. I was initially disappointed that they took out the open world stuff, but I'm over that now. I can always pop in RF:G if I want to experience that again.

I hope this means we can play earlier levels in the game. I thought I read that somewhere. I am happy that the "ruin" mode has some sort of freeplay mode so you can blow stuff up without a time limit. It was something I had wished for in Guerrilla.

SteevL on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Any mention on if the release date is for all platforms?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I want that demo the Giant Bomb guys were playing.

Actually, what I REALLY want is the full game RIGHT NOW, but I'll settle for a demo.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Arthil wrote: »

Looks as though all three platforms are releasing on the same day. There'll be no waiting for the PC version.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kitsuna wrote: »
    Arthil wrote: »

Looks as though all three platforms are releasing on the same day. There'll be no waiting for the PC version.

That is awesome news for the PC version. It seems like THQ/Volition are really taking the PC platform seriously lately with the simultaneous announce of Saints Row: The Third on all three platforms as well. I hope that RFA is a solid port like RFG was (even though it did have a few issues like not allowing simultaneous keyboard and controller for switching between on foot and driving.)

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm guessing developers are seeing the profits roll in on the digital download frontlines. I think it was someone from EA who said in an interview last week that they could see themselves pushing PC product more given the profits and ease of using DD services like Steam and D2D. Consoles tend to have to go through various checks and then the console manufacturers probably take a hefty cut too. Fingers be crossed.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Woo, I bet I'll get review code!

...probably for the 360 because that's all the review code THQ gives out these days!

Jintor on
  • Options
    TheRake24TheRake24 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh man I hope this is good. The multiplayer in RF:G was incredible. There is simply nothing like using the Thrust backpack to go up through a Siege building, landing on the roof, dropping a bunch of mines, jumping off while detonating, and repeating the process.

Also, using that sledgehammer was so much fun. Maybe my favorite shooter melee weapon ever.

TheRake24 on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    Woo, I bet I'll get review code!

...probably for the 360 because that's all the review code THQ gives out these days!

Do you have a 360? If not, you know.. I do.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    No, it's just I hate aiming anything on a 360. I can deal, but... blah!

Anyway, my editor probably won't flay me alive for letting one interview Q&A answer leak into the world... will he? D:

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TheRake24 wrote: »
    Oh man I hope this is good. The multiplayer in RF:G was incredible. There is simply nothing like using the Thrust backpack to go up through a Siege building, landing on the roof, dropping a bunch of mines, jumping off while detonating, and repeating the process.

Also, using that sledgehammer was so much fun. Maybe my favorite shooter melee weapon ever.

You know what I totally, completely loved?

The game mode where you got points for destroying buildings. But only one guy on each team was allowed to get points by doing so. So the rest of the guys on the team were running around, trying to protect their destroyer, while trying to kill the other teams destroyer, and trying to repair the structures on the map so their destroyer could blow it to shit and get more points.

It was fast, crazy, and incredible fun.

Arrath on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqvwxvCOSH4

Oh yeah.

This has to go in the OP.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I...I thought I was the only person in the world that had played that game.

Arrath on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arrath wrote: »
    I...I thought I was the only person in the world that had played that game.

I remember seeing the War of the Worlds game yeeeeeeears ago, late 90's surely. I really loved the musical CD they released based on the book and really wanted it, but I was far too young to buy it on my own :(

Was it any good? The chances of finding it now... :whistle:Are a million to oneeee...:whistle:

Also, mega-pumped for this game. Volition could really be on a roll if they pull this and Saints Row The Third off, in the sense that they honing on what made the series special and cranking it right up

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arrath wrote: »

You know what I totally, completely loved?

The game mode where you got points for destroying buildings. But only one guy on each team was allowed to get points by doing so. So the rest of the guys on the team were running around, trying to protect their destroyer, while trying to kill the other teams destroyer, and trying to repair the structures on the map so their destroyer could blow it to shit and get more points.

It was fast, crazy, and incredible fun.

Oh man, I only ever played that mode a handful of times but it was so awesome.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    After careful deliberation I have decided to bow to these very reasonable demands... although I have taken the liberty of substituting in a better video for CaptainNemo's request.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sigh. I'm not sure what to think about this. On one hand, RF:G was fun for a few hours just blowing shit up and breaking buildings. But when I got to the 2nd area in the game I got really bored of it. I guess the lack of changing scenery bothered me (even though I'm currently 40+ hours into Fallout3... again.). Maybe I'll try again later.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Any word on a demo for this? The game comes out in 2 months and I am convinced that the awesome Mech level demo sold them a bunch of copies last time. I hope they include some Magnet Gun hilarity in it this time.

TheRake24 on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    you guys have any idea about the pre-order differences?

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/28/red-faction-armageddon-pre-orders-get-battlegrounds-at-gamestop/

GameStop

* Free downloadable copy of Red Faction: Battlegrounds for XBLA or PSN

- Commando Pack

* Armored Commando uniform
    * Plasma Thrower
    * Dual Laser Pistols

Best Buy

- Recon Pack

* Recon uniform
    * Arc Welder
    * XNG-5000

Amazon.com

* Free downloadable copy of Red Faction: Battlegrounds for XBLA or PSN

Walmart

* Limited edition Red Faction 24-page illustrated comic book
    * A mini-strategy guide from Prima Games

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Based on those options, I'd have to lean towards Gamestop. The free game plus your weapons pack seems to trump everything, unless you wanted to go Steam to get RF:G. This GiantBomb link shows off the weapons and costumes as well

TheRake24 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Regarding the pre-order bonuses, there's even better news if you live in the UK. Pre-order on Play.com, and you'll get both both the Commando pack and the Recon pack with the game. :mrgreen:

Every once in a while, living here in England has it's advantages. Now all I need to decide is whether to pre-order for the Xbox or the PS3. Decisions, decisions....

Edit: And the Xbox 360 version wins.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Game Informer just put up a 4-part documentary of Volition in case anyone is interested. I just made it through the first two and am about to start the one where they talk about the first Red Faction. Seems interesting so far.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Wow, if this is true . . . I don't even know what to say. IGN Reporting that "comptetitve multiplayer" is out in Red Faction: Armageddon. Here is the Link..

No response from Volition yet, but if this is true, this game just went from "Must Preorder! Can't Wait to Play!" to "why did they get rid of the best part of RF:G and guess I'll wait and see?"

TheRake24 on
  • Options
    QuadQuad Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow, if this is true . . . I don't even know what to say. IGN Reporting that "comptetitve multiplayer" is out in Red Faction: Armageddon. Here is the Link..

No response from Volition yet, but if this is true, this game just went from "Must Preorder! Can't Wait to Play!" to "why did they get rid of the best part of RF:G and guess I'll wait and see?"

People have been asking Volition about it and they've been dodging the question. Doesn't bode well.

I can't even express how much not-give-a-shittery I'll have for Armageddon if it doesn't come with competitive MP. And I say this as someone who fully intended to buy it for $60.

Quad on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I actually joined a Volition's Msg Board to voice my complaint. If this is true, it makes no sense to me. How do you remove the best 1/3rd of the gameplay from the sequel, essentially without telling your fans, and expect this game to sell? If its not in there, I would rather they just delay the game and add it rather than ignore it completely.

My prediction if this ends up being true: Lots and lots of used copies are going to end up floating around real quick.

TheRake24 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I can't say that it's a deal breaker for me since I rarely ever play the multi-player aspects of a game, but I'm honestly surprised that they'd leave multi-player out. There aren't many games that would do that these days, especially not when a previous iteration of the game included it.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They did the exact same thing with Saints Row: The Third and completely cut the competitive multi (though coop is still in, which leagues better anyway.)

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That's just weird though, because RF:A got a lot of milage off competitive multi

No wonder they wouldn't talk to us about multi

Jintor on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    wait what.

didn't they spend the entire giantbomb quicklook showing competitive multi?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Possibly they mean something like an official ranking system, I don't know

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    There's a new trailer up that shows off Kara, one of Darius' allies. There's also plenty of other stuff to gawk at as well.

Kara Trailer

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The voice actor for the bald bearded guy who says "We got laws against smugglers" sounds very familiar.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    wait what.

didn't they spend the entire giantbomb quicklook showing competitive multi?
    Nope that was Ruin mode, their revamped Wrecking Crew mode with leaderboards. Also, achievements just came out and there are no competitive MP achievements at all. Check it here, but at this point I'm 90-95% sure they removed it.

Good work Volition, you went from obvious pre-order to buy used in 2 months for half price.

TheRake24 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Judging by the achievements, they have a co-op mode called Infestation now. Sounds like it's probably the standard horde mode deal.

But yeah, I wasn't too into the multiplayer in Guerrilla anyway, so that doesn't affect my purchasing decision. Not that I'll buy it at full price either way; I rarely do that these days.

SteevL on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This looks pretty cool.

DouglasDanger on