Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4E OOC] The Residuum Revolution Arcane and Strange

daniantdaniant Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Critical Failures
In the year 250, a powerful force rises against the mystical chains that binds it. In the ensuing revolution and change of government, magic and the powers that once enforced an arcane brotherhood is brought under the heel of martial and primal might. The earth itself heaves up and overthrows the Eladrin oppressor.

Now, in the year 302, fonts of arcane wisdom have dried up. The fey and the rituals associated with them are anathema. Only the clergy have access to rituals, and children born with fey blood are immediately killed to prevent contamination. Veiled arcane heretics wander in the wilderness, and are slain on sight by a group of primal enforcers known as the
nk’bara. Prince Almarak, the Dragonborn son of a long line of paladins who have ruled the country since the chaos of the revolution, is a religious extremist who controls the populace through brute force. This is Ydria, Land of the Emerald Crown.

However, a group of dissidents have risen up. Though some fear the stories of days long past when magic bound the people into servitude, others question whether they have exchanged one tyranny for another. Can magic be used to serve the people? And what of the rumors of fey refugees in other lands uniting to take Ydria back?

It is up to you, brave adventurers, to decide the fate of the nation…

9.jpg

GAME INFORMATION

This is the recruitment thread for the D&D 4th Edition game known as The Residuum Revolution. I have played in three PbP games here on the threads, but this is my first foray into DMing in PbP. This is a homebrew campaign using 4th edition rules (and to some extent, universe).

I am looking for:

• Around five players, and especially those who love to post and are willing to check the threads at least once per day (in general).
  • Orokos for my character sheets and rolls, but I will deal with Myth Weavers/Invisible Castle if you really really want to.
  • A submission of one level 1 character per poster. Please do use inherent bonuses. Anything that is in the Character Builder goes, but if it’s too strange, I will PM you and ask you to start over. No dhampyr revenant warforged vampires, please. :P
  • And perhaps most importantly, a group that works together.

Please submit:
    At least a paragraph of background information that will tie in to the story (or not if you want me to tie your character in for you D:)
  • Character name
  • Character appearance
  • Link to character sheet
  • Character pic if possible

Notes about character creation:

If you are playing a fey (eladrin, half-elf, elf, gnome, drow, etc.) or a magic-user (sorcerer, bard, swordmage, etc.) I will not rule your character out, but you will have a more challenging time playing the game. Please consider taking stealth or bluff if you play a fey or arcane character.

Finally, please do not feel like you must be constricted by your class type to be a member of one of the groups in the intro. I have no problem with you being a rebel, but please explain it in your background.

Submissions are due by Sunday, March 20th at 8:00 PM PST.

That is all. Good luck!

daniant on

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How does Prince Stick-In-The-Mud feel about Primal powers?

Or Psionics, for that matter.

optimusighsig.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jam Warrior: The nk’bara are primal enforcers who have gained a lot of power recently and the royal family has to tolerate them because they are considered to be diametrically opposed to arcanists. However, non-nk'bara primals are revered all over Ydria because of their wisdom and profound understanding of the earth. Shamans, druids, and seekers are fairly common and can be found in all cities and towns working in state-sanctioned jobs.

Dark Primus: Psionics are not common and when they are found they are often cultivated as advisers to the royalty or to a mayor of a town or city. Due to their great insight, they often are hired as diplomats or they become very successful merchants. There is a psionic code that most psions subscribe to that emphasizes using their power to benefit the mankind (kind of like the Hippocratic oath). Dark psions that are caught are subject to the severest of punishments, including lobotomy or death.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Having trouble deciding between a dwarven bricktank, half-orc monk, or party buffer Warlord.

Hmmm.

• dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How exotic is too far for classes? Are we limited to PHB1-3 races? Kalashtar, genasi, gnolls, mild, thri-kreen; what's up with those dudes?

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Mr_Rose: The gods from the PoL setting are present and active. Lots of chances for some divine stuff happening.

dresdenphile: I'm okay with anything that is in the CB, but I would love to have you develop a backstory or work with me regarding the backstory if you're not sure.

• dorindorin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ashard: Female Tiefling Monk
    Spoiler:

http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2953

• UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Sooo this might be a bit far out to fit into your setting; but I really liked the idea for your world and thought it would be neat fit for this character idea.

Slip - (Currently Known as Elias Hawkwin Male Human)

SlipElias.png

Personality and Mannerisms
    Spoiler:

Female personality Changeling Hexblade

Background Story -
    Spoiler:

edited March 2011
    Hibiki: Male Human Swordmage
    Spoiler:

http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2954

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tordain Silverpact, Dwarf Avenger
    Spoiler:

sandman-sig.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The setting sounds really interesting, but I'm curious about how the campaign is going to be starting out - as in, where we are all starting, why we are all together, what our first objective is going to be. I just want to be sure the storyline is going to be something I will stay invested in. I'd hate to apply for something only to lose interest in it. :P

optimusighsig.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Interested! I follow a few of the ongoing PbP's here, so I check the forums throughout the day. Here's my submission:

Alise Sellyn, human wizard
    Spoiler:

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh, daniant. You beautiful human being, you.

I'm not on the forums as much as I used to be, and I'm already in a few games anyway, so I'm forced to just sit and watch this one.

farangu.png

Come join my Let's Play of Total War: Rome II! Boss around some Gauls!
    edited March 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The setting sounds really interesting, but I'm curious about how the campaign is going to be starting out - as in, where we are all starting, why we are all together, what our first objective is going to be. I just want to be sure the storyline is going to be something I will stay invested in. I'd hate to apply for something only to lose interest in it. :P

The answers to most of those questions depend greatly on the character backgrounds of the characters I pick. However, you will all most likely start out as people who are adventurers and make their living as such. Your first objective may be to seek out arcane refugees (to hunt them or help them, depending on which side the party tends towards).

Since I really want the characters in the party to drive the plot, I can't be more specific than that. However, you can always post a character and if you fall out of love with the setting, I can find a replacement very quickly I'm sure. Spots in PbP games go like hotcakes around here!

edited March 2011
    Farangu wrote: »
    Oh, daniant. You beautiful human being, you.

I'm not on the forums as much as I used to be, and I'm already in a few games anyway, so I'm forced to just sit and watch this one.

<3<3<3

If you ever get more active I'd love to have you.

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So...much...innuendo in that...sentence...

Must resist...can't...
    Spoiler:

farangu.png

Come join my Let's Play of Total War: Rome II! Boss around some Gauls!
    edited March 2011
    Farangu wrote: »
    So...much...innuendo in that...sentence...

Must resist...can't...
    Spoiler:

LOL.

edited March 2011
    Anything you'd like me to work on on my app?

• Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm in another game right now, but I have plans to DM a campaign later this summer with some friends and I need all the 4thE experience I can get. I'll totally be able to post at the very least once per day, weekdays and weekends, so there's no problem schedual-wise for me. Quick question though, how much money do we have to throw around character creation-wise for weapons, gear, and the like?

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What about a bard with melee/non implement powers? I don't really like the flavor of bards typically, but this guy is a warrior-skald type--a poet and story-teller who uses a sword.

Would that fly?

• Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Here's my submission

Nkbarros Impkith, Tiefling, Scourge Warlock

Head1.jpg

Background:
    Spoiler:

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited March 2011
    Interesting. Are artificers allowed?

Yes, artificers are allowed. In fact, artificers are the only sanctioned "arcane" people left in Ydria, mainly because they are just so damn useful. They are only allowed to practice with a government license and there are limits on golem-making and the like, but there are rumors of underground government-run research facilities where artificers work on high-level experiments. Every once in a while, the nk'bara uncover an unlicensed artificer operating solo and they execute him publicly in order to set an example.

edited March 2011
    Standard level 1 is 100GP.

Yes, and further items will be granted by the DM.

edited March 2011
    streever wrote: »
    What about a bard with melee/non implement powers? I don't really like the flavor of bards typically, but this guy is a warrior-skald type--a poet and story-teller who uses a sword.

Would that fly?

Absolutely. In fact, most people might not even know he's tapping the arcane net. You probably want to go Valorous Bard and take the melee powers that go with it. You could even multi-class fighter or do a hybrid fighter/bard.

Have at it!

• streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    daniant wrote: »
    streever wrote: »

Would that fly?

Absolutely. In fact, most people might not even know he's tapping the arcane net. You probably want to go Valorous Bard and take the melee powers that go with it. You could even multi-class fighter or do a hybrid fighter/bard.

Have at it!

That is basically the character I've made, but he isn't a fighter yet because I will take that feat as he up-levels a little bit.

Post soon! Thanks Dani. I'm really excited by your description of the world--I created this character for a similar storyline that I didn't get to use him in.

• wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Esker of the East Reaches, Longtooth Shifter Warden

Stat sheet to be added later, can't update silverlight on my work machine... :? (will be a fairly standard Longtooth Shifter, Lifespirit Warden, though)

Portrait - I'm leaning toward a cropped version of this:
    Spoiler:

Background:
    Spoiler:

• TiamatZTiamatZ Freeze...and burn! Double TroubleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What religions exist in this world?

Points of Light only? Or are some Eberron/Forgotten realm deities fair game?

Jakiro avatar (and other DOTA 2 portraits) by Dota fan Adam C. Beamish: Check them out
    DotaJakSig_zps399cf6a1.png
    edited March 2011
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    What religions exist in this world?

Points of Light only? Or are some Eberron/Forgotten realm deities fair game?

I will take Forgotten Realm deities, but since I don't know Eberron deities well enough, I'm going to have to rule them out.

edited March 2011
    Very interested! How does Prince Stick-In-The-Mud feel about the Primal powers? Also I don't have any inherent bonus including books, how do they apply to level 1 chars? Backgrounds, yay/nay?

Sorry, Jam, I didn't see the rest of the questions. Any background besides completely Eberron setting-related backgrounds are fine as long as they actually relate to your background. I need to go home where my books are to check out inherent bonuses, so I'll answer that question later on tonight.

edited March 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Inherent bonuses basically mean nothing to level 1 characters, just like a level 1 char wouldn't be expected to have a magic sword etc. Inherent bonuses to attack start to kick in at level 2 and inherent bonuses to defence at level 4.

Thanks Mr. Rose. I knew that they gave bonuses to attack and defense, but I wanted to look up the specific levels.

• FinkleFinkle Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Dietrich Uberwauld, Human Male, Witchhunter (Avenger)

PORTRAIT
    Spoiler:

BACKGROUND
    Spoiler:

APPEARANCE
    Spoiler:

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tordain Silverpact, Dwarf Avenger
    Spoiler:

Updated Tordain's application to include his last day in the Guard, as well as adding a background (Military Service) and inherent bonuses to the sheet (nothing at level 1).

sandman-sig.jpg
  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Updated version, with character sheet:

Esker Heap, Longtooth Shifter Warden

Portrait
    Spoiler:

Appearance
    Spoiler:

Background:
    Spoiler:

• dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ilesombra Cylcrest, Human Paladin

Background:
    Spoiler:

Picture:
    Spoiler:

Appearance:
    Spoiler:

Table talk: I'll let you insert me in the story world. :)

Edit: I'm down for hunting the arcane refugees.

steam_sig.png
  • Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hmmm where would a Wilden fall on the fey hate train?

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
    edited March 2011
    Hmmm where would a Wilden fall on the fey hate train?

Argh. Ummm...I would go primal background rather than fey background. Unless you want to work them in as a fey ally or something.

To be perfectly blunt, I haven't considered them, so I'm going to let you choose.

• AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    daniant, you've mentioned that PoL gods are about. How about the Primordials? The Elemental Chaos? I've got an idea for a genasi in an arcane class that plays up the difference between pure elemental power, the stuff the Primordials used to build the world, and the blind fumblings and heartless mimicry that is "arcane magic."

(Fire Genasi Ranger | Assault Swordmage with Mark of Making. Artificer license since people can't always tell the difference between living fire and a mage.)

I'm providing ambience.
    edited March 2011
    Aegof wrote: »
    daniant, you've mentioned that PoL gods are about. How about the Primordials? The Elemental Chaos? I've got an idea for a genasi in an arcane class that plays up the difference between pure elemental power, the stuff the Primordials used to build the world, and the blind fumblings and heartless mimicry that is "arcane magic."

(Fire Genasi Ranger | Assault Swordmage with Mark of Making. Artificer license since people can't always tell the difference between living fire and a mage.)

Yes. Also, yes. Do it. Do it now.

• AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Too much typing. Edit: Haha I forgot personality and appearance and picture. 'll get to them later.

Ladej Cai, Genasi Ranger | Swordmage

Background
    Spoiler:

Mechanical Notes
    Spoiler:

Let's Talk About Me
    Spoiler:

I'm providing ambience.
  • TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mnemo, Shardmind Psion

Picture:
    Spoiler:

Background:
    Spoiler:

Notes:
    Spoiler:

I've only just started playing PbP and 4E at all, but I'm picking it up pretty quickly. With instant email notification I can most multiple times a day every day if necessary, and I'd really love to get involved in a second campaign as I'm really enjoying learning how the game works and what interesting stories can be told with it.

• BhowBhow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Riishi Antera Razorclaw Shifter Shaman (Stalker Spirit)

Portrait:
    Spoiler:

Background:
    Spoiler:

I've played a couple games here, but both have ended. Posting daily is no problem for me. I'm working on the character sheet now, and will update this post once that's available. Looks to be a lot of fun.

Edit: Sheet is active (linked above). I've a little tweaking to do yet, but please let me know if something seems out of place or inaccurate.

Pah Wintair
    Riishi Antera
    And when you're blue, and you've lost all your dreams, there's nothin' like a campfire and a can of beans."