Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Puella Magi Madoka Magica] - Link to Theater Listings for Rebellion at Top of OP

Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
edited November 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
REBELLION THEATER LISTINGS

ctWR6Y2.jpg
Don't forget.

Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you.

As long as you remember her, you are not alone.

What is Madoka Magica?

Madoka Magica is a 12 episode television series written by heart-warming author Gen Urobuchi. The series premiered in 2011 and quickly became regarded as the next breakthrough Anime series, bringing forth a level of insane fandom not seen since Neon Genesis Evangelion.

If you haven't experienced the series yet, you'll undoubtedly run into many fans hyping it up as some sort of holy grail of animation and storytelling. That goes for me as well, as I personally regard Madoka Magica as one of the greatest Animes I've ever watched, as well as one of the best written stories I've ever experienced in any media form.

But it really is better if you ignore all the hype and hyperbole and just check out the series for yourself. The less you know about the show, the better the experience will be. Spoilers are rampant across the internet, so avoid any curiosity you may have in a Google search.

The one comment you'll often hear from people is that Madoka is a deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre. This is an erroneous statement, as the Magical Girl part of the story is played perfectly straight. If anything, it is better to say that the series is a deconstruction of the Deus Ex Machina principal, but to go into further detail would only give away much of the story beats and themes. Suffice to say, the premise behind Madoka could work in any conceivable setting, and the story itself can be appreciated without any prior knowledge of Magical Girls or any other Anime tropes.

You might also hear different reasons for why the series resonated with so many people. The truth is that not one single element defines Madoka Magica; rather, it succeeds in almost every area flawlessly. The plot is structured without feeling exploitive, the animation is both superb and subtle when it needs to be, the major story beats are always delivered with the right sense of timing and music, and the characters are all well-written with a level of depth that truly propels them to believability.

Speaking of the characters...

The Cast

5VqNCxk.jpg

Madoka Kaname:

A kind-hearted teenage girl with loving friends and family, Madoka lives an ordinary but otherwise content life. Though she believes that she lacks any particular skills or strengths, she feels drawn by the prospect of becoming a Magical Girl in order to protect people from the threat of the inhuman creatures known as "Witches".

StExuWf.jpg

Sayaka Miki:

Madoka's closest childhood friend, Sayaka makes up 1/3 of the inseparable clique of herself, Madoka, and Hitomi. Though comically easygoing and stubbornly headstrong, she possesses a strong drive forged by unbreakable ideals to protect the people who are most important to her.

vVHhAdH.jpg

Mami Tomoe:

A Magical Girl as well as Madoka's senior, Mami first encounters Madoka and Sayaka while performing her Witch-hunting duties. Captivated by her gentle demeanor and incredible power, Madoka and Sayaka join Mami as would-be apprentices to fight alongside her as Magical Girls.

51VVLu3.jpg

Homura Akemi:

A mysterious girl who transferred to Madoka's school, the soft-spoken Homura approaches Madoka privately to offer a cryptic series of words that serve as some sort of warning. As a Magical Girl with a mysterious power, she chooses to fight alone, which puts her at odds with the other girls.

ZF24P38.jpg

Kyouko Sakura:

Another mysterious Magical Girl who prefers to fight solo, but is far more outspoken and ruthless than Homura. Her endless appetite for sweets seem to symbolize her desire to monopolize on the hunts for Witches in order to scoop up the rewards for herself (the Grief Seeds, which are dropped upon a Witch's demise).

on3ltVu.jpg

Kyubey:

The enigmatic, otherwordly creature known as Kyubey is responsible for bestowing ordinary human girls with the ability to transform into Magical Girls. In exchange for a single wish granted, those who make a contract with Kyubey are sworn to dedicate their lives to defeating the Witches that plague humankind with their curses.

Where to Watch:

You can watch the entire series for free on both Crunchyroll and Hulu. If you also love box sets but hate money, you can dump an absurd amount of dollars in order to buy Animplex's overpriced DVDs and Blu Rays. This is also the only method to watch the series dubbed, but it is highly recommended you stick to the original Japanese audio. As someone who generally prefers dubs, the English cast simply does not hold a candle to the original Japanese voice actors, often holding back in their delivery even during the most pivotal moments.

Another alternative are the two-part recap movies, which premiered simultaneously in both Japanese theaters and limited showings overseas (a first, I believe, for any Anime film). Though the films mostly use stock footage from the series, nearly every scene features touched-up animation as well as additional music, transformation sequences, and completely re-done dialogue. There are also a few brand new scenes sprinkled here and there that overall combine into a new experience even for those who watched the series, as well as an adequate alternative for newbies to check out the story with virtually no compromises from the original series.

Post-Series Content:

Warning: Do NOT read if you haven't finished the series!
Spoiler:

Hexmage-PA on
Friend Code: 1590-5696-7916
Friend Safari Type: Rock
cj iwakura

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The outfits look cute. I am still a little girl at heart at things like that are important to me. I'll give it a look if I can, I haven't seen any anime in a long time.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Whew. I worked on that OP for about two hours, so nobody post anything stupid to get this thread locked! Having any anime-related threads on Penny Arcade now is a privilege; don't do anything that might have this privilege revoked!

With that out of the way, here's a clip of the Puella Magi named Mami Tomoe in action:

The Best of Mami

• SeguerSeguer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just chiming in: you start this anime off and it's all magic and happiness, then SNAP.

Grimdark.

It is so good because of it.

edited March 2011
    Seguer wrote: »
    Just chiming in: you start this anime off and it's all magic and happiness, then SNAP.

Grimdark.

Yes, yes, I concur.

So good.

Grimdark ED

edited March 2011
    For those of you who are already watching this show, do you have any theories regarding how it will end (please put your theories in spoiler tags!)?
    Spoiler:

• Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spoiler:

signaturep.jpg
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I had heard of this show and seen cutesy art for it everywhere. I only decided to sit down and watch some of it a couple days ago.

Oh my God. Trap.

This is such an excellent deconstruction of the genre.
    Spoiler:

camo_sig2.png
    Like building space ships? Like space dogfighting? Want to play a make-your-own-ship dogfighter where you try to take out an enemy carrier while protecting your own? Then help Greenlight GoD Factory
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, this show. I'm hoping for a happy ending...
    Spoiler:

edited March 2011
    Spoiler:

signaturep.jpg
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spoiler:

edit for another thought:
    Spoiler:

edited March 2011
    Oh god, I watched Ga Rei: Zero without knowing the manga. Not quite as sudden as Puella, but damn.

Puella Ending:
    Spoiler:

edited March 2011
    Spoiler:

signaturep.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Kamar wrote: »
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

camo_sig2.png
    Like building space ships? Like space dogfighting? Want to play a make-your-own-ship dogfighter where you try to take out an enemy carrier while protecting your own? Then help Greenlight GoD Factory
    edited March 2011
    Yeah honestly I think you guys are reading too much into the whole "omg they're all gay" thing.

Dac has it right though. Don't mess with Madoka or
    Spoiler:

• Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That Best of Mami video doesn't even have her transformation scene. I mean, come onnnnn. It was still the best as of ep 6, when I stopped watching. I'll finish the show when the BDs slide through my letter slot.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Grimdark.

Sorta like Mai hime but ideally without that stupid reversal at the end?

If so sign me up

• TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm sure this anime is good, but, ugghhh, any mod looking at the op will set back our cause another two or three months. Couldn't you have chosen something less... Well, you know what I mean, even if it's a deconstruction or whatever.

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So is this still on tv or is it available on netflix?

Rich on Beer - I talk about drinking beer. You read about it.
  • simonwolfsimonwolf DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHEDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just submitted my thesis abstract, gonna write on this bad boy of a series, oh boy, shooting myself in the foot already
    shadowane wrote: »
    So is this still on tv or is it available on netflix?

It's currently playing on Japanese television, yes, the final episode should be airing on the 25th of March. I do not think it has been licensed to any non-Japanese company so far.

14LXWPx.jpg?1
    edited March 2011

Hopefully.

Mai HiME started out with a touch of humor, went completely serious, and then in the last episode suddenly rebounded to slapstick. Madoka Magica didn't start out humorous, so I don't think it should be a problem here.

edited March 2011
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    I'm sure this anime is good, but, ugghhh, any mod looking at the op will set back our cause another two or three months. Couldn't you have chosen something less... Well, you know what I mean, even if it's a deconstruction or whatever.

I assume you're talking about the image of the Puella Magi themselves. I wasn't about to make an OP without a single image of the characters, and I can't help the art style the show chose.

• KageraKagera Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That one image IS a little close to lolupskirt view.

“This is America. We’re entitled to our opinions.”
    “Wrong. This is Texas. And my opinion is the only one that counts."
    edited March 2011
    Yeah honestly I think you guys are reading too much into the whole "omg they're all gay" thing.

Yeah, really.

Regarding Homura and Madoka, I'm more inclined to believe it's a case of behavioral disorder han romance.
    Spoiler:

edited March 2011
    Kagera wrote: »
    That one image IS a little close to lolupskirt view.

Really? I just thought it was a cool image that also lined-up the characters in a way convenient for my purposes.

I think you guys are just being paranoid, but I guess I'll try to find a different image.

• Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nah it's fine. Now if you had happened to post the op, then I think we'd have a problem.

edited March 2011
    edited March 2011
    I have no idea what that's a reference to.

edited March 2011
    40k. Kharn the Betrayer made a wish.

signaturep.jpg
    edited March 2011
    That reminds me; isn't it kind of odd that you are required to make a wish before one can become a Puella Magi?

Sayaka and Madoka both seemed to be open to the idea of becoming Puella Magi at first, but they couldn't think of a wish. Is making a wish required so that
    Spoiler:

edited March 2011
    Episode 9+ specific spoilers: Does anyone else suspect that
    Spoiler:
    It might very well not be, but I'm not 100% convinced.

Also, where did the Walpurgisnacht come from? Is it
    Spoiler:

edited March 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

edited March 2011
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Crushing pussy; Marry a man Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, I started on this. Only seen the first two episodes, but I'm starting to wonder if this is just some kind of elaborate joke being played on me.

Still, there's some odd appeal but I can't help but feel it would work better as a computer game. Possibly it has a Persona-like feel, just with magic transformations.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Grimdark.

If so sign me up

Coincidentally, they both have the same composer, Yuki Kajiura. I can't wait for the OST for this series to come out.

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just started watching the first ep and some of the animation reminds me of Mononoke (not Mononoke Hime, but the series about the ghost-hunting apothecary).

Which reminds me I must watch that Blanko series by the same people.

I figure I could take a bear.
    edited March 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Well, I started on this. Only seen the first two episodes, but I'm starting to wonder if this is just some kind of elaborate joke being played on me.

You have to watch episode three. If you still want to give up on it after episode three, that's okay. But please watch episode three.

• kdrudykdrudy Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

tvsfrank.jpg
    edited March 2011
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

edited March 2011
    Spoiler:

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.