As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Puella Magi Madoka Magica] - Link to Theater Listings for Rebellion at Top of OP

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just saw this over on Something Awful (spoilers):
    My friends and I played the board game Arkham Horror for the first time today, and I got the thought that it actually wouldn't be difficult at all to make a Puella Magi conversion. A lot of the base gameplay of Arkham Horror is very similar to witch-hunting, and there's a cataclysmic event looming in the horizon that you have to prepare for or find a way to stop.

The one thing we realized after putting some thought into how a conversion would work is that in Arkham Horror, you win if you can prevent a great one from surfacing, but in Madoka, even if you defeat the Walpurgis Night, everyone inevitably dies and becomes a witch. So an intrinsic problem with making a conversion is that Madoka's world is more unforgiving than Lovecraft's.

I only have a passing familiarity with the Call of Cthulhu RPG, but I have a hunch that it wouldn't be too difficult to alter it so that it played more in line with Madoka Magica. Damage could be healed and spells could be cast by losing sanity (representing a Soul Gem's corruption), using Grief Seeds could replenish sanity, and learning something terrible about the nature of Puella Magi or having your worldview shaken could cause your total sanity score to be reduced permanently (making it easier to lose all your sanity and become a Witch).

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kyubey is a Vulcan. He's a Vulcan studying and exploiting creatures that are to him what amoeba are to us.

Can you even give the actions of such an individual any alignment? It's all perspective. If you were an amoeba, you might be very upset about being farmed and killed at a scientist's whims and label him a dick, or at the very least amoral. However, in the scientist's culture, his actions are perfectly moral and seen as furthering the greater good. In his world, he's a veritable paragon.

The two species are too different, removed by eons of technology, brain structure, and how they perceive the world, for either of them to apply a label to the other that isn't laughable.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alignment doesn't even make sense in D&D. Why would try and apply it elsewhere?

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mage: The Awakening, with a little alteration, was the first thing that instantly popped to mind when I was watching Madoka. It could easily be reworked to the mechanics of Madoka, and I've been jotting down some notes to that effect to try and run a campaign.

Alternatively, Princess: The Hopeful.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Alignment doesn't even make sense in D&D. Why would try and apply it elsewhere?

Cause it can be fun (when you're not playing a game whose rules make alignment important).

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The first few chapters of Oriko Magica are out. And, I must say, it looks a lot more violent than Madoka Magica so far.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Two things I thought of but forgot to post, after watching the last two episodes.
    The weird conversation she has with her mom before running off is directly due to mom giving her that advice earlier. It didn't just apply to the scene in episode 6. She told her to lie, run away, or do the wrong thing. She lied to her mom, ran away from the safety of the shelter, and did the wrong thing according to Homura.

I also realized that the older/different Madoka that appears when she transforms in the opening is probably her when she goes back in time to prevent herself from turning into a witch. Separate from her destroying the giant witch form at the end. The other magical girls all saw her appear to them and comfort them in a similar way, at least.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    that's an interesting take on the op

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So is this watchable online somewhere (legally)?

Magus` on
  • Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yes, I just don't if those are legal

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Magus` wrote: »
    Yes, I just don't if those are legal

i don't think the franchise has been licensed

and it probably never will be given how much $$$ SHAFT will be asking for

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So it's legal to watch/download unlicensed stuff? I can never get a clear answer on that.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The entire reasoning behind people being able to watch them ensures there will never be a clear answer on it. Japan probably isn't going to hunt down every fansubber and stop them, but they're also not going to legally and publicly declare they're fine with it either.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So the OST of this came out, and it is pretty good. Gotta love Kajiura's fake language.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Some previews of Oriko Vol. 2 are out, featuring Homura pulling a piece on Oriko in order to protect Madoka.

Also, this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside:

hnngh.jpg

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    So recently I got this in the mail. The return address was "Q B"
    PpS3d.jpg
    I literally have no idea who could have sent it.

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is there.... anything on the other side of that paper, skyknyt?
    Heard of anyone else getting those?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    One million Japanese and Taiwanese viewers watched a live stream of all twelve episodes of Madoka Magica; most events like this only get 100,000 viewers.

Oriko Magica's already over (wasn't expecting it to be so short; only 7 chapters).

The good news about the ending?
    We finally get to see Kyouko, Mami, and Homura work together, and in a pivotal battle no less!

The bad news?
    It looks like the Puella Magi will work together, and Madoka, Sayaka, Hitomi, and Homura will all be friends.

Then Madoka gets impaled.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yeah. decent side story

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So apparently the Madoka manga (not Oriko, the retelling of the anime one) continues a little past the end of the anime.
    It shows Homura being taken to be with Madoka in the higher plane for the rest of time. Apparently amps up the shipping stuff a lot too, but the manga's author is a big MadokaXHomura and KyokoXSakaya shipper, so take that how you will.

Kamar on
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So for those of us who like their Faustian grim darkness, but don't want to learn Japanese and/or want to get their fix, ahem, legally, you're in luck: Aniplex just announced they're bringing it stateside.

No details yet besides the official website, but personally I'm really looking to this. Aniplex dubbed Gurren Lagann, so I'm positive they'll do a good job with Madoka.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    A recent Q&A confirmed that Madoka Magica will be dubbed.

Another interesting bit of trivia: the witches were originally intended to be Lovecraftian abominations, but eventually became the more stylized, whimsical entities of the show.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    An awesome looking, fan-made Madoka Magica side-scrolling beat em' up is coming out!

griefsyndrome.png

gs1.jpg

gs2.jpg

gs3.jpg

EDIT: I just now noticed how at the bottom of the screen each character has a "soul limit". I wonder if it measures how soon you have until you turn into a witch?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    This show was excellent.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote:
    An awesome looking, fan-made Madoka Magica side-scrolling beat em' up is coming out!

EDIT: I just now noticed how at the bottom of the screen each character has a "soul limit". I wonder if it measures how soon you have until you turn into a witch?

No links or anything?

Thanks a lot....

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    A dub would be pretty nice, but anything besides a direct-to-DVD release is likely going to be heavily edited. The cast is to young for public TV to tolerate a lot of what goes down.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I just found this awesome video of all the Witches and their familiars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMfltBbj9S0&feature=related

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I watched this whole series last night. It was actually quite wonderful. However the ending,
    Can someone explain exactly what happened there? Madoka wishes to have the whole witch/magi girl thing stopped, which happens by having her just take the soulgems from each girl before they become witches. Does everything else in the world just happen normally with that new caveat?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    I watched this whole series last night. It was actually quite wonderful. However the ending,
    Can someone explain exactly what happened there? Madoka wishes to have the whole witch/magi girl thing stopped, which happens by having her just take the soulgems from each girl before they become witches. Does everything else in the world just happen normally with that new caveat?

In a nutshell:
    Madoka wishes to prevent all Puella Magi from becoming witches (which kinda breaks QB's whole system since that means there will be no grief seeds) in the past, present, and future. This causes something of a paradox because of the whole past thing (Joan of Arc was a Mahou Shoujo, Madoka would have to exist back then), plus Madoka herself would have eventually become a witch as well so she would have to prevent herself from becoming a witch. So she more or less ascends to some level of godhood/supernatural being capable of fulfulling her wish.

So in the present Puella Magi have to fight magical beasts instead of witches, they drop little fragments that the Puella Magi use to cleanse their soul gems and fight entropy, and Madoka will prevent them from ever turning into a watch. So things are things basically business as usual except QB isn't harvesting grief seeds from the Puella Magi...the stuff from the beasts replaces the grief seeds.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Ok, that's what I figured, but the whole scene with Homura and Madoka was a little confusing in a "How are they having this conversation" sort of way.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    For those who enjoy AMVs, this operates as a pretty good trailer, without giving away too much context (except that shit be crazy).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt6QKIiRTG8

And on an unrelated anime topic, Kizumonogatari has a positively hilarious trailer

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Magus` wrote:
    So it's legal to watch/download unlicensed stuff? I can never get a clear answer on that.

No, technically it's still illegal. Copyrights are internationally protected, and pirating a book in German or a tv show in Japanese is still in violation. There's even been a couple of times where a particularly unsubtle fansub group gets a cease and desist from a Japanese company, although it's super rare.

That being said, American companies have traditionally had something of a gentleman's agreement with internet fans that shows are mostly fair game until they get licensed. Unlike our dear friends at the RIAA, they recognize - if only unofficially - that fansubs are a big part of why anime became so popular over here in the first place. Although these days there's just so many fansubbers that there's always someone willing to release copies of licensed series.

It's a similar story to AMVs and other fan works that use copyrighted material. The vast majority of companies ignore it because it really has either no effect on sales, or a positive effect. Princess Tutu's famously awesome amv has probably done more for sales of that series than anything else.
    Which is seriously awesome, and has 1.7 million views, plus another 800k or so from various reposts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHZqxecCukg

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    American pre-orders are now up on the show's US website. Prices are slightly higher than folks may have grown accustomed to paying for their anime nowadays, but it was all around that price a few years ago.

• Options
    Slightly higher?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The normal dvds are 29. They've got some big fancy collector's edition box that's selling for more. 30 bucks is pretty standard for a 4 episode dvd new.

• Options
    Ha, I only saw the special edition at first.

You can buy an entire season of most western TV shows and cartoons for $20. Charging $60 or so when you could go buy, say, every season of Avatar for about the same price is pretty silly. I know why they stubbornly keep prices that high, though, don't worry.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Kana wrote: »
    The normal dvds are 29. They've got some big fancy collector's edition box that's selling for more. 30 bucks is pretty standard for a 4 episode dvd new.
    I always wait for the box set.
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I know why they stubbornly keep prices that high, though, don't worry.
    Yeah, the Japanese companies keep licensing prices high regardless of what a normal volume/season would cost for a native (licensee's country) series.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    It'd be cheaper (and it would be out sooner) if they weren't dubbing it, but that's another issue entirely, I suppose.

• Options
    They don't want any Japanese people that are paying $60 for one disc to see it'd be noticeably cheaper, even with importing, to just buy the American subbed version.

uyvfOQy.png
This discussion has been closed.