As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT] ME FIVE!

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Engineers are boring people with boring software.

:(

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    oh my god my joints hurt so bad

they better shape up or tomorrow is going to suck nuts

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I will give the biblical/abortion thread op guy credit. He did his research a bit. Man that is an insane op.

I should probably double check and make sure my op for dresden is up to date at some point. When the next book comes out.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Wow.

Someone on facebook just posted an image that says "Obama spends, Jesus saves."

:x

Tell them Gretzky scores on the rebound.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Welp, I'm off to see The Adjustment Bureau. Hopefully it's better than it appears. Latas [chat]

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011

It's not my fault you chose a boring profession!

Perhaps you should come work for my company. We're um, we're pretty big.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Feral bullying exist. And yes a comprehensive policy can help limit it. But it doesn't get rid of it. It can even push some bullies to be even more vicious in areas where a teacher or administrator cannot see it.

If that happens then the punishment needs to be more severe. Including, if necessary, after-school suspension so the bully isn't walking home at the same time as the victim.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Justin works for the man. He is the man's bro.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I want to work for Massive Dynamic.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Is this true, Justin? Did you sell out?
    hi^5

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BTW, I have a personal issue with that argument because when I was in grade school, there was literally no time when I was unsupervised in the same space as my bullies. I got a ride to school from my parents in the morning and I rode the bus home in the afternoon.

Yes, that means that the bullying instances occurred under adult supervision. Sometimes a teacher or a yard duty or an administrator would stand there watching it happen.

When I was a kid, and I had adults telling me that there was nothing they could do, and it's in my best interests to let it happen because if they punish the bullies then the bullies are just going to get meaner, and that I should try to fight back even if it doesn't work... I didn't have the critical thinking skills at the time to question that message. But it was all complete and total bullshit and I realized at some point in high school that my childhood was spent being abused with the adults in my life complicit with that abuse.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Wow.

Someone on facebook just posted an image that says "Obama spends, Jesus saves."

:x

Tell them Gretzky scores on the rebound.

:lol:

:^:

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That pizza was yummy, and I'm the lightest I've been in over three years.

Good day today.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Find a Jesus was a hippie picture to counter them.

Odds are (ie: if they have ever divorced or remarried), even better would be Matthew 19:3-8

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

"Engineering" is not a profession. Sure, some people get stuck speccing out parts for the warning light circuit of the flap warmer on a cargo plane, but lots of people get exciting jobs, like making robots and playing with holographic displays.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I did not want to eat a suspension when I was a kid. My folks would have flipped their shit in a bad way, and I was still under the impression that a permanent record was a real thing.

My mom would flip her shit on it. There would be some sort of grounding. That I would ignore or would be waived because I was day care for my siblings. Although she really lost her shit when she told me to just turn the other cheek and I told her I did. His head snapped right around when I knocked that tooth out.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

hi^5

Sadly no. I do not work for the government.

That's you. You sold out!

I'm trying to bring you back in to the private sector. Where the money is.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    sooooooooooooo tired

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey, Elldren.
    Elldren wrote: »
    Feral completely derailed the new Charlie Brooker thread on page one, post 2.

I don't understand how it was a derail. We were discussing the topic of the show.

Feral on

• Options
    edited March 2011

"Engineering" is not a profession. Sure, some people get stuck speccing out parts for the warning light circuit of the flap warmer on a cargo plane, but lots of people get exciting jobs, like making robots and playing with holographic displays.

One of the guys here designed the traffic structure for the Cowboys new stadium....so that's something I guess.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Hey, Elldren.

I don't understand how it was a derail. We were discussing the topic of the show.

That's not the topic of the show

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Back in grade 7 there was this little shit and his two friends who decided to bully me. Boggled my mind at the time, because being one of the biggest dude's in our year, this shit did not happen. When he started going through stuff in my desk and defacing it, I went to the Principal who basically told me "welp, nothing I can do derp derp." So I told her that if he did anything else, if the school didn't get him to back off, I was going to violently assault him. "Welp, we can't stop you, but if you do that we'll suspend you derp derp".

Like, what are the options in that situation? There are no options. I ended up pushing the kid around a bit and making threats, turned out the school was too lazy to stop me too.

There was a few years in middle school where guys would try to pick a fight with me to demonstrate how tough they were. I was significantly bigger than just about everyone and never really felt in any danger. I'd generally take a few punches, laugh (I think I thought it was intimidating and as a little kid maybe it was) and then just pop them in the nose a few times and then eventually allow them to apologize. That allowed me not to have to really hurt them beyond black eyes/bloody noses or get teachers involved. By the time Jr High ran around I had enough of reputation that no one had any interest in picking on me or bullying me or anything like that. My school was pretty light on fights as well as there wasn't much tolerance for it at all.

My only problem was when two girls in 7th grade decided to harass me. I was pretty socially retarded so they were probably filling the void a physical bully would have if I couldn't fight back. The problem is, how do you deal with two girls messing with you? Can't punch em. Ignoring them was ineffective in stopping it but day to day it wasn't really a major problem.

There were two major incidents. Once while we were cleaning out lockers, one of them took all my books and papers and threw them across the hall. I said "You Bitch!". The other time was the only time they touched me - at the end of the day while a sub was in and we were in home room waiting for the end of day bell, she clocked me in the chest. I took a step backwards and a glass bell was knocked off the actual teacher's desk.

The problem was the school was one of those situations where the administrators believed girls were beyond reproach. I was suspended a day for calling one of them a bitch when I'd never had detention in my life. The homeroom teacher, vice principal and principal tried to force me to pay for the bell and threatened suspension again despite the sub and the next door (normal) teacher backing my story to the point where my parents had to threaten a lawsuit if they didn't stop pulling me out of classes. They even later attempted to keep me out of the honors program at the Jr High until again my parents objected over their heads (and thankfully I had test scores to prove their objections were ridiculous).

So really I think its mostly a culture thing - if the administrators allow or condone a form of abuse it'll exist. If they come down hard on it, it won't disappear but it won't flourish.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Eh, I don't think speccing a warning light circuit would be a bad job. To take an analogy from my profession (software engineering), how good a job is creating software usually has no correllation to how "cool" that software is to the end user.

Games development is often the worst jobs in software engineering, while creating tools for marketing shills can be rather interesting on the code side.

And of course engineering pays fucking awesome and usually has top-tier benefits.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited March 2011

hi^5

Sadly no. I do not work for the government.

That's you. You sold out!

I'm trying to bring you back in to the private sector. Where the money is.

You and me both.

And for the record, I work for the man who works for the man. That's right, I'm part of the problem.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey, Elldren.

Then what is the topic of the show?

Feral on

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

One of the guys here designed the traffic structure for the Cowboys new stadium....so that's something I guess.

Hehe, civil engineering. That is the worst kind. Like even worse than power.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    's not so bad!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Hey, my Dad did Civil Engineering! :(

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The whole profession? Wow, he must be sore.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey, Elldren.

Then what is the topic of the show?

It's a comedy/satire thing which is generally just taking the piss out of TV. Charlie Brooker doing the same kind of thing he did with Screenwipe.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    re bullying: I'm of the opinion nearly all teachers are spineless fucktards who have no idea how young people think.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Eh, I don't think speccing a warning light circuit would be a bad job. To take an analogy from my profession (software engineering), how good a job is creating software usually has no correllation to how "cool" that software is to the end user.

Games development is often the worst jobs in software engineering, while creating tools for marketing shills can be rather interesting on the code side.

And of course engineerings pays fucking awesome and usually has top-tier benefits.

Making games is bad because it's insane hours with poor pay, huge deadlines, and pretty much no creative control. And about halfway through the process, you give up on all your ideals and hack together some laborious, painful bullshit to meet the ship date. And most likely you're creating some terrible shovelware. You might as well spend all day digging holes and filling them back in.

Other "cool" jobs are a lot better though, especially the ones that don't fall into the entertainment sector. I spent a summer making warning light circuits. That was hell. I don't think I'd prefer the pressures of game development, but I would take just about anything else.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY3HUDhe7jk

:^:

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    Monday morning, Vari. Pretty sure the Continental Congresses didn't convene on Sunday.

Also,
    "I'm to be congratulated."
    "You?"
    "For making him write it."
    "Oh, I see."
    :whistle:
    It's a masterpiece I say,
    they will cheer every word, every letter.
    I wish I felt that way.
    I believe I can put it better.

I have the original, non-Nixon-edited version on DVD. :twisted:

hmmm, I have the 'director's cut' dvd

peter
    pin
    peter
    pin
    peter
    pin
    peter

"Done, madame."
    "Done, John."
    Till then,Till then
    I am, as I ever was, and ever shall be,
    Yours, yours yours, yours, yours,
    Saltpeter, John.
    Pins, Abigail
    For God's sake, John, siddown!...

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey where is that page that lets you see the IP address of who edited a Wikipedia page?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Boring
    see: Civil Engineers

(this isn't true anymore, but the joke persists)

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey where is that page that lets you see the IP address of who edited a Wikipedia page?

justin if [chat] is going to end up testifying in court tube is gonna be pissed

• Options
    edited March 2011
    The wikipedia page for my company cites 0 sources and was made mostly by people coming up with Hong Kong IP addresses.

Farming out your wikipedia page LIKE A BOSS

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

justin if [chat] is going to end up testifying in court tube is gonna be pissed

Tube already hates me and like, half of us here.

Did you know I was sitting four rows behind him at one of the Q&A Panels? I'm pretty sure he was sitting next to Kiko.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Odds are (ie: if they have ever divorced or remarried), even better would be Matthew 19:3-8

Or jesus-vs-republican-jesus.jpg

Captain Carrot on
This discussion has been closed.