As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Archive - Still open for business!

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Well, commentary is a weird thing. If you sit there "um um"ing, you may as well not be trying to say anything.

Like the subtitles I mentioned earlier, you could fade in commentary when it's needed. As I said, explain things happening that aren't necessarily self-evident. Silence isn't a bad thing. "Not speaking is a skill," to quote a teacher. People will fault you for bad constant commentary, but if you tune it in as needed, it'll be appreciated.

Personally speaking, not enough LPs let the game audio come through.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was thinking of maybe only doing some small commentary when the game is "paused". As in, when I am doing stuff like equipment or character points, though I'm trying to keep pausing to a minimum. Though not on the first area cause the enemy and dialog options ramp up if you don't customize a bit.

I keep wanting it to be perfect for some reason, so when I catch myself using crutch words, I stop and start again.

I suppose I'll just release my first vid with the few commentaries I have, and see what people think. If they want more or less, I'll find a way to accomidate.

I do still plan on having the codex in the game during the non-dialog gameplay, so that should help quite a bit I'm sure.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Yeah the codex is providing you a nice means of commentary to begin with. And hey, nothing wrong with recording retakes. Do you know how many times people record post commentary and don't edit? Even in the basic "stop, start" manner? You're already way ahead of the game there. :P

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    There were a few times when I accidentally talked over some in game dialogue, even once a funny thing an enemy says, and all I had to do was use Audacity to move the offending comment back or forwards a bit.

It worked out kind of well because I frequently pause in live commentary before finishing my sentence when it gets interrupted, so once I just extended the pause a bit as if I was waiting for the enemy comment to end.

that's one of the reasons a seperate commentary track is so handy. You can just adjust it.

I had a whole set of recorded missions, about 4 in total, that I had to go through and remove coughs etc because I had a horrendous cold. I destroyed every one.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    Ouch.

But thanks guys.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    Ok, I think it looks pretty good.

I'm using Windows Movie Maker as an editor. I saved the video at 10 Mbps. I read that YouTube will reencode the video and that I should save on the high side. Some dude said he did tests and found that 10 Mbps was the peak for YouTube.

Is 10 Mbps ideal, or should I go higher or lower?

It's gonna be a 1080p video btw. I recorded at 192 Kbps at 44.1 MHz and saved it under the same setting fwi.

steam_sig.png

Bit of a test post, both in fishing potential interest and checking some sizing from source material. Already gathered that the shots need to be converted to JPGs, sadly, to be viable.

Let's Sample...
    introscroll.png
    wooo purposeful vague banner!
    sample01.png
    npc2.png OK, explosives are set!
    npc1.png What is this? An egg or something?
    npc2.png You see ones like this every so often...
    npc1.png Well I'll be...

sample02.png
    sample03.png
    sample04.png
    sample05.png
    sample06.png
    whelp1.png *skree!*

sample07.png
    npc2.png Wh... W H O A !! *SMACK!*
    whelp1.png! !

sample08.png

edited July 2012
    Sharing for example's sake of image options and things to consider. Namely how much file size matters and the 'bang for your buck' matter.
    Original:
    sample01.png
    800x600 PNG - 254KB - Fuck that

Alt 1:
    sample01alt1.png
    640x480 PNG - 191 KB - Still fuck that

Alt 2:
    sample01alt2.jpg
    800x600 JPG - 103 KB - Not sure...

Alt 3:
    sample01alt3.jpg
    640x480 JPG - 78 KB - Probably best.

Which in this case less is way the fuck more. I don't mind image artifacts, it's a 1997 game anyway.

Edit - The JPG versions are compressed at 7/10 in Photoshop, which is the high-end 'medium' range (not the highest, but it's a significant file size drop from 8 to 7; 8 gave me 130 for Alt 3 there).

Edit Edit - Sprite size change test:
    sample01alt3.jpg
    npc2alt.png OK, explosives are set!
    npc1alt.png What is this? An egg or something?
    npc2alt.png You see ones like this every so often...
    npc1alt.png Well I'll be...

whelp1alt.png *skree!*

npc1.pngnpc1alt.png
    npc2.pngnpc2alt.png
    whelp1.pngwhelp1alt.png

Henroid on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    The smaller lower quality picture actually hides the jaggies a bit and makes it look smoother, oddly enough.
    I preferred it visually over the others.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    I guess in that regard it's a good thing since Playstation era 3D and texturing was so... eh. Especially the earlier years. But at any rate, yeah, I decided that I'm going to capture images high res still, but full screens I use will get downsized to that lower quality JPG. I need the higher res screen grabs because these sprite sheets I found online are incomplete. And sprites are going to be a major part of how I'm presenting things.

What I'm trying to figure out is how in-depth to make the game presentation. Points of interest only, or go as far as to show the way to go within dungeons? The latter I want to avoid because it means more screen grabs and it becomes more walk-through-ish. I'm definitely going to make it a point to show every new enemy encounter the first time they are, er, encountered (not every damn random battle mind you).

This is really different from SF2. The battles there were really significant and THE content. I'm realizing how much that isn't the case with this.

I've also already planned out a way to explain things within the game, stepping outside of me just explaining in posts. It'll be part of the LP and it'll be FUN.

Is that Breath of Fire? I think I may have played that a loooong time ago.

steam_sig.png

It is. I've only played part 3, a bit of 2 long ago, and I've seen 4 in action but didn't play it myself. I'll explain all that when I get the thread up though.

I forgot, I'm making a new Photobucket account for this LP. Aside from having a place to host the content, I want to test PB first hand since it's come a long way from having the strictest of regulations on images.

I've never had an issue with photobucket, but I've never tried for an LP either.

My LP is just about ready to go. I got the first video uploaded and the second one being edited right now. I also got a couple hours recorded and encoded. I had an OP typed up, but the forums ate it. Pissed me off because it took about two hours to type and was pretty good IMO. My retyping of it isn't as good I think, I'll keep working on it :?

I'll probably not post till Wednesday or Thursday though, my wife and I are having a child today!

steam_sig.png

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Both Breath of fire 3 and 4 are amazing. I look forward to that thread being made =o.

• RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    i dont watch lps any more

sad days

• TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    That's a shame Rent, there've been some really fucking good ones I've dug up. Kamoc's Silent Hill: Homecoming on lparchive is pretty much the most quality LP I've had the luck of witnessing.

• AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Rent is too busy being angry on the Internet! No time for games!

• RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    Adus wrote: »
    Rent is too busy being angry on the Internet! No time for games!

You would not believe the amount of anger I have to have on a regular basis

It's a tough life, being right at all times. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhh

• NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    Ok, I'm struggling here.

I have a bunch of videos edited and ready to upload except for one thing. Commentary.

I recorded without any commentary and thought I could add it later, but I really don't know how much to have. How much should there be?

Should I make an effort to not go unspoken too long? It's a dialog heavy game and usually only a minute or two goes between the conversations. Most of the commentary I do want to say would be more convienent to just type when I post the video.

All I have in terms of commentary is my introduction and my thanks for watching the video. Is that enough? Should I try to add just a little here and there?

chip and ironicus tend to be quiet if the occasion merits it. hell, chip did a bastion let's play (a game with its own narrator) and almost literally let the game speak for itself. which it does well. he gave tips and tricks advice and some interesting trivia during some narrator-less parts and that's about it. a real good counter example to LP's that chat way too much about nothing interesting.

Yeah, I've kinda been going with the less is more approach. Only a few comments. My first vid is an hour long, but I have less than ten comments. I'm mostly limiting my commentary to when I go into the menu.

It has gotten easier through once I got started. Finding where to begin was the hardest part, but it's getting easier now that I got the ball rolling.

steam_sig.png

So with one update on BoF3 which is relatively conservative when it comes to amount of screenshots used (40-some), the associated Photobucket account has had 3% of its bandwidth consumed (well, almost 4%). 10GB a month allowed.

• JazzDrachenJazzDrachen Registered User regular
    hey guys, i just joined on this Let's Play thingie and made my very first LP clip. playing The Secret World
    im planning to do a couple more games, in the meantime the Secret World LP will be continuos since its an MMO.

that said, i'd love to join the community and get some advice/ insults/ rotten apples/ flowers about my LP video. can someone please direct me to the entrance and how do i get my LP posted here?
    thanks

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    You'll notice that the second sentence of the first post in this thread is "This thread catalogs and keeps track of Lets Plays made by members of our community (whether it be G&T, SE++, or wherever else), whether the Lets Plays are developed on the forum via threads or hosted elsewhere." You're not really a member of the community yet, but since people have shown up just to post their LPs before and nobody has seemed too angry, you're more than welcome to just start a new thread with your LP and let people talk about it. If it's really good, you'll probably get more interest: usually those threads just get a couple replies and then sink into obscurity, unless the OP continually bumps them until they realize it's futile or they get infracted or whatever.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I'm kinda glad Helloween said he'd be back to the forums from now on for his LPs, since it feels like the LP heavy hitters dropped off once the forum changed to Vanilla.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    I'm kinda glad Helloween said he'd be back to the forums from now on for his LPs, since it feels like the LP heavy hitters dropped off once the forum changed to Vanilla.

Yeah, Vanilla is kind of a pain the ass.
    hey guys, i just joined on this Let's Play thingie and made my very first LP clip. playing The Secret World
    im planning to do a couple more games, in the meantime the Secret World LP will be continuos since its an MMO.

that said, i'd love to join the community and get some advice/ insults/ rotten apples/ flowers about my LP video. can someone please direct me to the entrance and how do i get my LP posted here?
    thanks

Welcome to the forum.

When you've been a part of things here long enough, at my discretion, I'll list your work (whether you have a playlist link or a thread here, etc.). This isn't to cut out the new people or make this a tree fort; it's a counter-measure to site-whoring (which, in the era of social media, isn't just about a domain name you own these days). When someone is actually a part of the community here, or is a super committed lurker, it kinda becomes self-evident. So stay, and mingle! Check out each of the subforums for whichever suits what you like to talk about! I've been around here for over 9 years and it's the best community, imo.

Just keep in mind, this thread isn't some official forum function, and it's not an official Penny Arcade corp. thing. The only people who are going to see it are people browsing the forum. And when the thread falls off the first couple pages of the G&T index, it just means that much more that people won't see it. This thread isn't about people promoting themselves, it's about hard work community members put into Lets Plays being preserved in a way.

That said, if you have any questions regarding your LP making process (problems getting a program to work, that sorta thing) this is one such place to ask for help regardless of being new or not. Or you can try out the Help / Advice section.

edited July 2012
    well, like i said. im totally new on this thing. and i pretty much just made 1 LP. with a couple videos on the way.
    but i uploaded the first part. and im looking for feedback. dont worry. im not whoring myself. hell i dont even know how to whore myself. im totally new to this

so... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI72uhDQIeI&feature=youtu.be
    there you go, would really appreciate it if you guys can throw me some pointers or insult or two

PS: excuse the bad english

JazzDrachen on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Arise ye old thread.

Just wanted to do a little announcement because I don't think it warrants its own thread, but I'm making a new youtube channel called KoopahTV, which will be another place to feature my Let's Plays and funny highlights from my stream. I've never uploaded/managed a youtube channel before so I was wondering if any fellow forum goers had tips or tricks they'd like to share to help make my Let's Plays/channel more successful. Also what's Youtube's take on background music? Like if I put up a highlight video from my stream of me playing Heroes of Newerth, and Pink Floyd happens to be playing in the background... is that like automatic death sentence, do not pass go, do not collect $200? If I come up with any other questions, I'll be a postin'!

First Let's Play I'm planning on is Megaman - Power Battles, which will be played with a friend of mine over Skype and will probably turn into us playing several games in a Game Grumps-ish fashion.

YouTube can remove the audio from your video. At minimum.

edited July 2012
    Henroid wrote: »
    YouTube can remove the audio from your video. At minimum.

That would kind of defeat the purpose of the video since most of the funny comes from the combination of actions and commentary. I suppose I could test the waters with a couple old highlights I have on my stream.

Thanks Henroid. :^:

KoopahTroopah on
    Your best bet is using music that isn't like, commercial music. Using soundtracks (even film) (and yes I know that kinda grates on what I just said) is usually a safe route for music use. It's just a way to cover your ass. YouTube is pretty awful with Fair Use in that they don't acknowledge it at the time of a grievance being filed. You have to file a counter argument with them which takes for fucking ever.

you can... remove the game audio. and replace it with a general non-copyrighted music. i guess?
    or you can just remove the part with pink flloyd playing

alternatively. record a new video? ;p

• sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2012
    I didn't even realize this thread existed or I would've come here first instead of googling every problem I've had for the last month while I was trying to get stuff set up. I've really got to start actually surfing the forum instead of just the few threads for games I'm currently playing/looking forward to.
    I've only done a few LPs, mostly live commentary/improvisational humor. I'd start my own thread, but I'm not even close to far enough into any one of the multitude or games I'm playing to warrant that.
    Here's my current LP Playlist; the Dead Space and Borderlands commentaries were recorded in post, everything else is live.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
    tried playing slender

didnt go well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU688Q8avlk&feature=plcp

would love a feedback for my next video. criticism please

edited July 2012
    Pat and I played through the power battles games. I used a crappy flv editor I found on Google because after effects wouldn't accept the compression type. Is there one that is easier to cut parts out of and replace sounds, all that junk?

KoopahTroopah on
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Pat and I played through the power battles games. I used a crappy flv editor I found on Google because after effects wouldn't accept the compression type. Is there one that is easier to cut parts out of and replace sounds, all that junk?

avi-synth + audacity, compress using MeGUI

EDIT: For a better answer that I'm too lazy to provide, the Let's Play! forum at Something Awful has a thread detailing everything you need to properly make cool videos and shit.

Trynant on
    Trynant wrote: »

EDIT: For a better answer that I'm too lazy to provide, the Let's Play! forum at Something Awful has a thread detailing everything you need to properly make cool videos and shit.

Thanks, I'll check them and or the SA thread out.

edited July 2012
    Trynant wrote: »

Thanks, I'll check them and or the SA thread out.

So I checked out that page, and it is a WEALTH of information. My only problem is that the software that they suggest is 1) overly complicated as it's pretty much it's own coding language to edit videos via text and 2) unless I'm reading wrong/I'm blind, it doesn't support FLV videos.

I tried getting AvsPmod, but that's literally the same software with a GUI format. Still need to learn the code, and doesn't support FLV.

I also tried Virtual Dub Mod but I was missing a bunch of .dll files when I tried to run it.

Are there any decent GUI ones that support .FLV video formatting? I'd really hate to save the video files as .MP4 as it takes literally 3-4x as much space.

Edit - The google one I'm using is FLV Editor Lite by Moyea. It really isn't that bad, but I can't cut less than about 3 seconds which is about 180 frames. So it's hard to cut as accurate as I want. Also, I don't see any effects or anything cool like that.

KoopahTroopah on
    koopah, i use adobe premiere to do my videos. you can check the links above if you want.
    theyre not really hard to use. good conversion. and you can add some good effects in it as well. but... im not sure about flv. i just use mp4 and then later convert it to a smaller version

Given the new forum format, I'm going to make a request of you guys (and will be bringing it up with Rorus). As you may have noticed, we now have buttons for posts to "Agree" and Awesome them. There's a particular issue I want to ask everyone to try to avoid:

Do not use either button for LP posts that are heavy in media content.

The "Best Of" function of the forum lets people pick up lists of posts that were agreed with or submitted as awesome, and those posts are bundled together. This is the new way awesome posts are recognized, replacing the subforum method, which means people are going to be using this list view. The last thing people are going to want is a face full of images from nerdy shit.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    This entire forum is nothing but nerdy shit. However your point about not slapping people with a face full of images is excellent advice.