As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Archive - Still open for business!

• AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well LPs with audience participation are typically pretty entertaining and popular.

I'm more sympathetic to the unfinished LP thing now, because once you realize that it's just a hobby if the person doesn't enjoy it anymore it makes no sense to force them to finish. To be honest I can't imagine Shining Force II is a fun game to LP at all. Hasn't aged too well and the story isn't much, either.

I'm considering finishing up GTA via stream rather than post commentary. I think it would ultimately be more amusing live. I just have to figure out if that's practical or not.

Adus on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You're on a cruise?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shining Force 2 was fucking great to LP, but a problem showed up in the game where nothing was challenging. This is my fault for two reasons.

First, the difficulty is set low.

Second, I use a power leveling method I'd never tried before and it worked out way too well. Especially in the case of Sollah who was an unstoppable force kicking and punching shit to death in one or two hits.

Henroid on
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey Henroid when you gonna put Brutal Legend on that list?

Also
    Henroid wrote: »
    Remind me to slap people around for PM'ing me with their first-ever LP before it is finished.

Not kidding guys, it's gonna save me tons of trouble not having to update the list with impotent LPs until I know they're done.

I really wouldn't be happy with the fact that this thread lost some of its functionality + makes making LPs less welcoming to newcomers, all thanks to the standards for finishing an LP on this forum is so low. Sure it's a time-saver, but it's kinda depressing.

Trynant on
  • atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's not that big of a deal. What functionality does having an unfinshed LP on the list really have though. People who check the list will see it, but if you're updating an unfinshed LP enough it will be on the first page every so often so people are still going to see it.

edit: also, I'm sure it's depressing for Rent when he has to trawl through all the old LPs and try to figure out which are abandoned.

atat23 on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It'll go up tonight or tomorrow morning Tryn. I'm sorry about the delays in updates, as usual, but the important thing is that your threads exist in the first place.

As for the rule about having an LP finished before you can be added to the list at all, really, the odds are in our favor to keep the rule. It's a case where I agree with Rent (maybe not with his wording or extent-of-caring, but still). And exception will exist, of course, for people who put a lot into an LP and despite abandoning it have tons to see of the game. It'd go in the graveyard list is all.

Henroid on
  • LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What really irritates me is when people have multiple aborted Let's Plays. This really bugs me when the quality is good. I'm totally with Adus on the position that if it becomes work, stop doing it. There should be another tag that people could use until they actually finish. Something like [Check this out - Game X]. I've seen some aborted LPs and bought the game because it showed me a side of the game I hadn't known about before, and not every video/screenshot thread really has to be completed in order to expose a new audience to a game.

It's just unfortunate that when some people do LPs I'll never watch more than an episode or two because I'm fairly certain they won't actually finish it.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    I disagree with the "if it becomes work, stop" thing because these things require work to make. The premise doesn't make sense. Y'know all those awesome TF2 videos you like? They took work to make.

Henroid on
    edited April 2011
    I never said "If it becomes work, stop" I said "If it's not fun anymore, stop."

Adus on
    edited April 2011
    Adus wrote: »
    I never said "If it becomes work, stop" I said "If it's not fun anymore, stop."

I knew that quote seemed off somehow. In any case, Lowlander's stance is on that so my response still stands against him.

Adus' actual quote applies very much.

Henroid on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You should totally do Shining Force III.

now bear my arctic blast!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2011
    I don't have a Saturn or the game. Also, the knowledge that it's one part of three for SF3 turns me off.

Henroid on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I do. It's self contained.

The arc of the main character in Scenario 1 does begin and end with the part we received.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I appreciate all the effort some of you guys put into your LPs, and most of them are quite entertaining.

Also props to Henroid. The title thread is the easiest to search for in browser search: ctrl+F, fffffff until it's the only thing showing. :D

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    edited April 2011
    Don't count on the thread title being permanent. I change it generally around every major update. :P

Henroid on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Change it to: Most PA LPs incomplete. Rent: fffffffffffffff

joshofalltrades on
  • CGHCGH Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A little while ago I realized that with Google Video shutting down that some of the videos in Gilder's threads are going with it and got a little bummed even though I haven't watched any of them in quite a while. I may have to download some just in case I do want to see them again at some point.

I just chuckled a bit thinking about, "Wait, what?" Sorry, Gilder.

CGH on
    edited April 2011
    Hasn't Google Video been "down" for years?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    yeah after google purchase youtube they shut down google video for obvious reasons

Rent on
    edited April 2011
    Exactly. You haven't been able to upload to Google Video for years but it's still around. Maybe they're finally taking it down?

That's a shame. Lot of MST3K episodes are on there.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited April 2011
    Google video has not been accepting uploads for a couple years, but you could still view the videos that had already been uploaded. In a few weeks they'll be getting rid of those as well. They implemented a download feature so if there's something there you absolutely must have you should go download it now.

Adus on
    edited April 2011
    Oh shit, they're following through on that soon? If you guys can, contact the LP authors who've use Google Video in the past, give them the heads up.

Henroid on
  • JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Google Video goes down on April 29.

One week until it's over, guys.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Note to self: Do not attempt to use Virtual Dub's Screen Capture feature for video recording. It will never end well.

Schide on
    edited April 2011
    Schide wrote: »
    Note to self: Do not attempt to use Virtual Dub's Screen Capture feature for video recording. It will never end well.

Care to elaborate?

Henroid on
    edited April 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Schide wrote: »

Care to elaborate?

Why did I spell Virtualdub like that? Anyway...

Well, I was trying to record one thing, and I thought I had the settings ok since I made some test videos and they were fine, so I went to record for real for like a half hour, and I tweaked one thing in the compression settings, but when I went to watch the video...there was no video, only the sound was showing up.

Sooooooo later I went to record a different thing to try it out again, and I made a test video and it seemed to work, so I recorded another half hour without touching the settings, but when I loaded that video up it was...weird. Like, I tried to go to a later point in the video, but just didn't play back properly and I couldn't do anything with it.

Now, I assume someone who knows more about this sort of thing wouldn't have these problems, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get it to work for anything I might want to do. Oh, and I did use that tutorial for this specifically that is on SA.

Schide on
  • CGHCGH Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Since I'm the one who brought it up, I might as well post this update about Google Video in case anyone cares.
    Dear Google Video User,

Last week we sent an email letting you know we would be ending playbacks of Google Videos on April 29 and providing instructions on how to download videos currently hosted on the platform. Since then we’ve received feedback from you about making the migration off of Google Video easier. We work every day to make sure you have a great user experience and should have done better. Based on your feedback, here’s what we’re doing to fix things.

Google Video users can rest assured that they won’t be losing any of their content and we are eliminating the April 29 deadline. We will be working to automatically migrate your Google Videos to YouTube. In the meantime, your videos hosted on Google Video will remain accessible on the web and existing links to Google Videos will remain accessible. If you want to migrate to YouTube now, here’s how you do it:

We’ve created an “Upload Videos to YouTube” option on the Google Video status page. To do this, you’ll need to have a YouTube account associated with your Google Video account (you can create one here). Before doing this you should read YouTube’s Terms of Use and Copyright Policies. If you choose this option, we’ll do our best to ensure your existing Google Video links continue to function.

CGH on
    edited April 2011
    ... And who says Google isn't awesome? That's a badass solution. I imagine video quality won't be the greatest in many cases but what the hell. :^:

Henroid on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Don't know if this is the 'correct' place to ask, but: it appears as though no PAers have done the PS2 kingdom hearts games, so does anyone know any good LPers who have that i could check out? Maybe on the you toobs?

I'm reminiscent of them and their Disney glory, but watching is cheaper than buying a PS2 or a bc PS3.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I know that Kung Fu Jesus did a KH2 LP, but it's OP states that it's a skill run that skips the games cutscenes, so it's probably not what you're looking for.

I'll be interested to see if anyone out there does know of any good ones because I wouldn't mind watching an LP of the series.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited May 2011
    So who better to do what is essentially an LP of Bayonetta than its director?

http://i.joystiq.com/2011/05/01/hideki-kamiya-offers-director-commentary-for-bayonetta/

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited May 2011
    Well that's new.

Schide on
  • SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey, I finished my Batman LP. Can the person in charge of this thread please change it as such (if it's still listed in the archive)?

Also I just wanna say that making my first LP an annotated one was a terrible choice.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
    edited May 2011
    ... I'm in charge! Also I owe this thread a long-overdue update. Which includes like, 3 updates total.

Henroid on
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sollah wrote: »
    Hey, I finished my Batman LP. Can the person in charge of this thread please change it as such (if it's still listed in the archive)?

Also I just wanna say that making my first LP an annotated one was a terrible choice.

I'm sure you know this now, but you're much better off putting subtitles in the actual video rather than relying on YouTube to do it.

Or audio commentary. Everyone loves the sound of their own voice!

Trynant on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hate my voice.
    Having to hear it four times per video only made it worse.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I've gotten a couple messages today about this so I might as well post it here. My google stuff is gone. I deleted it all. I did it back when google sent out the first e-mail, but it took like 2 weeks for the deletion to finally hit. I deleted them because I figured they were going anyway and I hated them. I also didn't tell anybody because I didn't want any last minute archivers trying to save them. They were horrible. I didn't do any kind of compression, there's no real game audio, no editing, and they were just awful. When google said they were moving things to youtube I was happy I deleted them because I didn't want them on there. Those videos were made for these forums and nobody else. I'm happy that some people found them funny or entertaining, and my dailymotion and viddler stuff is still up so you can watch those things if you still want to. The only thing I really like though is Cheetahmen, since EJ got deleted.

Edit: You know what, I think this second paragraph was unnecessary. It was too serious for my tastes. Therefore it has been deleted!

Gilder on
    edited May 2011
    Uh... Are you saying you want me to delist your stuff then, Gilder? :?

Henroid on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Eh, I don't really care. It's your thread. They don't go to anything now though so I would delist them. Keep DKC though, because the first two games are still up as far as I know. It's up to Pastorius and Ohtsam if they want to delete their stuff in the future.

Gilder on
    edited May 2011
    They shall live on in our memories, Gilder.

Perhaps future technology will be able to extract them for new generations to see.

Schide on