As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video game industry thread: no, Shiggy's still not dead. Damn April Fool's.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sheep wrote: »
    I like the assertion that R* produces something of less quality and cohesiveness because they record facial and body animation at the same time compared to their recording them separately.

Oh, and that apparently R* have hit some kind of developmental wall. Hmm. So... typical PR nonny.

I'm pretty sure David Cage was saying that Rockstar's problem was that they DO record facial and body animations separately, and that with their particular setup would not be able to do them at the same time. It might not be a "dead end" but it definitely seems like a significant long-term issue, regardless of one's personal opinion's on David Cage.

The only matter upon which David Cage is allowed to express an opinion that could be called 'valid' is on how to make really shit video games.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Jobless AnarchistJobless Anarchist Hug me!!! VantaaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I like the assertion that R* produces something of less quality and cohesiveness because they record facial and body animation at the same time compared to their recording them separately.

Oh, and that apparently R* have hit some kind of developmental wall. Hmm. So... typical PR nonny.

I'm pretty sure David Cage was saying that Rockstar's problem was that they DO record facial and body animations separately, and that with their particular setup would not be able to do them at the same time. It might not be a "dead end" but it definitely seems like a significant long-term issue, regardless of one's personal opinion's on David Cage.

The only matter upon which David Cage is allowed to express an opinion that could be called 'valid' is on how to make really shit interactive movies.

Fixed that for you, but time to go to bed.

Jobless Anarchist on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I remember the first time I played Fahrenheit. I had absolutely no knowledge about it other than what could be gleamed from the box. It was fine until the third act where shit got weird so fast that I think it ripped a hole in space-time.

Seriously, speaking as someone who has literally been in an asylum, I can safely say that when I finished that game I had lost all cognitive faculties and was reduced to a blubbering wreck on the floor, flapping at the controller in spasms of insanity.

I'll be back soon to get you.... I hope.

David Cage is such a hack. But I kinda respect that. He's like Kojima, except at the end the game is terrible not awesome.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yes.

This again.

April Fucking Fools.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    12 ways consoles are hurting PC games.

When summed up:
    1. Delayed/Glitchy Ports
    2. Dumbed-Down Sequels
    3. The Future Isn't Now
    4. Lousy Interfaces/Controls
    5. There Is No Mod
    6. The Great Divide
    7. Auto-Save
    8. Games For Windows
    9. Making Us Hate Our Favorite Developers
    10. Kinecting The Dots
    11. Non-Existent Post-Release Support
    12. Dead-icated Servers

Cade on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow. Outside of dedicated servers, that's a pretty stupid heavy list.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Except for Games For Windows Live, which is objectively terrible. But yeah, the rest is filler nonsense.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A website called maximumpc.com released a list, the day before today, extolling the virtue of Console Warz?

What is this world coming to?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Delaying patches to go through the console patch process is a legitimate hit, I'd say.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow. Outside of dedicated servers, that's a pretty stupid heavy list.

Which points are stupid and why?

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The post-release support one. If anything, making games for consoles means you have less leaniency to release a half-finished game.

Remember that Tribes patch? The one that erased your fucking boot sector? That was real, that was a thing. Post-release support is neither

A: Universally good
    or
    B: Universally required

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I honestly think most of that list is fairly apt.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Really? Really?

Man, I hate doing this, but it seems necessary. And all to debunk an April Fool's Day 'joke'...

1. Delayed/Glitchy Ports
    The argument here is that console games are bad because companies have a hard time making the game work well on the PC.

2. Dumbed-Down Sequels
    Or: 'Dragon Age 2 sucks!'

3. The Future Isn't Now
    Consoles end up as the lead development platform and the 'delayed/glitchy ports' aren't optimised for the advancing hardware of the PC.

KBaM rules! Gamepad drools!

5. There Is No Mod
    Or: 'The game as released sucks! User created content makes everything better!'

6. The Great Divide
    Or: 'Only console owners engage in US vs THEM debates.'

7. Auto-Save
    Bad level designs are the console's fault.

8. Games For Windows
    MS trying desperately to constrain the virtually open world of the PC platform (for games).

Or: 'Hey devs! Why you gotta make us hit you!?' or 'Stop doing new things!'

10. Kinecting The Dots
    KBaM rules! Kinect drools!

Or: 'All DLC is just like horse armour! It used to be free! Also, they intentionally cut content to sell at a later date!'

12. Dead-icated Servers
    I have no idea why non-dedicated servers are supposed to be directly the fault of console gaming. Because one of the most popular selling games ever eschewed it, I guess...

April Fool's Day sucks.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Really? Really?

Man, I hate doing this, but it seems necessary. And all to debunk an April Fool's Day 'joke'...

1. Delayed/Glitchy Ports
    The argument here is that console games are bad because companies have a hard time making the game work well on the PC.

2. Dumbed-Down Sequels
    Or: 'Dragon Age 2 sucks!'

3. The Future Isn't Now
    Consoles end up as the lead development platform and the 'delayed/glitchy ports' aren't optimised for the advancing hardware of the PC.

KBaM rules! Gamepad drools!

5. There Is No Mod
    Or: 'The game as released sucks! User created content makes everything better!'

6. The Great Divide
    Or: 'Only console owners engage in US vs THEM debates.'

7. Auto-Save
    Bad level designs are the console's fault.

8. Games For Windows
    MS trying desperately to constrain the virtually open world of the PC platform (for games).

Or: 'Hey devs! Why you gotta make us hit you!?' or 'Stop doing new things!'

10. Kinecting The Dots
    KBaM rules! Kinect drools!

Or: 'All DLC is just like horse armour! It used to be free! Also, they intentionally cut content to sell at a later date!'

12. Dead-icated Servers
    I have no idea why non-dedicated servers are supposed to be directly the fault of console gaming. Because one of the most popular selling games ever eschewed it, I guess...

April Fool's Day sucks.

I didn't read the article I just saw the list on here, but fine.
    1. Go ahead, please tell me that PCs DON'T get delayed or glitchy ports of cross console games.
    2. I guess the countless threads and complaints in threads about the "consolification" of this game and that game series that used to be on PC is flat out wrong.
    3.Yes.
    4. You tell me that it's in any way acceptable to release a PC game with no mouse support or allowing any kind of key binding changes.
    5. Like I said, I didn't read the article, but there have been cases of console ports actively blocking modding attempts.
    6. Don't know what this one is.
    7. Oh don't get me started on auto saves, it's just a bad design choice on consoles or PCs, but nobody in their right mind can say that they don't have a huge vested interest in early console days.
    8. Hard pressed to find anybody here that says GFWL is a good thing. Then again Steam sucked when it first came out, though I don't think anybody here is as much of a tard to still hate on GFWL if they suddenly turned it around and made it good.
    9. Same as 6, though if I had to make a guess I'd say it's making the argument that if a developer was forced to make a console game when they had made PC games in the past, the concessions they had to make would piss off the PC fans. Kind of like Crysis 2.
    10. Same as 6.
    11. Non-existent post release support for ports is a HUGE PC problem. Look at Dead Space 2 and NFS:HP for example and tell me that what's going on there isn't appallingly unacceptable. A lot of PC ports are, "shove it out the door and forget about it, don't even patch it." I could name a hundred like that, and in the last 2 examples, those are games getting full content and DLC updates on consoles that the PC users can go "suck on."
    12. That's a problem on PCs or Consoles.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The 'article' is internet shorthand for every single game playing person who believes that PC gaming is inherently better than consoles. That consoles existing is destroying the very fabric of society. And that PC gaming would've gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling consoles.

It's a stealth parody that also happens to have the convincing grains of truth. PC games are 'hurting' because developers aren't very good at their jobs. Whatever the console faults are, they're awfully good had hiding the dev shortcomings.

This is not supposed to be a list that can be used to legitimately defend the position that consoles suck.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The 'article' is internet shorthand for every single game playing person who believes that PC gaming is inherently better than consoles. That consoles existing is destroying the very fabric of society. And that PC gaming would've gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling consoles.

It's a stealth parody that also happens to have the convincing grains of truth. PC games are 'hurting' because developers aren't very good at their jobs. Whatever the console faults are, they're awfully good had hiding the dev shortcomings.

This is not supposed to be a list that can be used to legitimately defend the position that consoles suck.

Are you trying to say that I, reading just the list posted here without the context of the article and making my own assumptions on what those bullet points mean based upon daily complaints on these forums, was wrong?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You don't need evidence to say that consoles suck. It's like gravity or the colour blue. It simply is.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not sure why that article is even note-worthy. We might as well start posting forum rants on why X Company is "SELLING OUT" and other such things.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    You don't need evidence to say that consoles suck. It's like gravity or the colour blue. It simply is.

olol

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cade wrote: »
    12. Dead-icated Servers

OH HO HO!

... Seriously that whole ordeal still bugs me.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ssendamssendam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    over on qt3, the CEO of stardock explains why he sold impulse to gamestop: http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showpost.php?p=2626777&postcount=217
    Well as some of you may recall, Stardock's been doing the digital distribution thing for years - since the 90s. But we did it for our own stuff. I never anticipated that there'd be digital retailers. That's something that Valve innovated on really. So we reluctantly got into that market because people were starting to put pressure on us to put our titles on Steam and, back at the time, I was still very wary of letting the sales of our products pass through someone else (this was back during the Strategy First fiasco -- they never paid us our royalties on Galactic Civilizations which had a big effect on our outlook).

So in many ways, our business process was reactive. We knew we had a technological edge because of our head start on that end but we were always playing catch-up on the business side because, at the end of the day, we didn't want to do the things that really needed to be done -- bring on a sales force, have account managers, fly technical people around, build up the marketing unit, build up the IT group, etc. etc.

It's a gradual thing but like Gabe has indicated, digital distribution is very profitable and it gets very tempting to put more and more of your time and energy into something that really isn't your core wheelhouse because it's so lucrative.

When the financials of 2010 started to come together we realized that Impulse was beginning to dominate our balance sheet. The games unit did okay, the software unit did better but the Impulse unit did great.

But pretty much all the expansion plans for Impulse would involve more sales people. More account managers. More support engineers. More release engineers, etc.

I'm an EE guy. I like tech. People on Qt3 have known me for a long time. I'm in this to make cool stuff. That's why we make things like games and Fences and forum software and blogs and docks and skinning programs and all kinds of weird stuff. We're a company of around 60 people and we make a lot of different and sometimes strange things. But it's all cool tech stuff.

Being a retailer is a very very different business. And once it became very clear that a) it was starting to become our primary business and b) that continuing to be competitive would mean transforming to a full blown retail company I felt it was time to find someone who could take it to the next level.

Which brings up an idea: maybe EA or Activision or some other money-grubbing publisher should be partnering with Netflix, Amazon, or anyone else who knows how to put together digital distribution, start up their own version of Steam, and start printing money.

ssendam on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    GameStop details plans for Impulse and Spawn Labs, says it's 'becoming a technology company'
    Well, it looks like GameStop's plans following its acquisition of Impulse and Spawn Labs may be even grander than we had suspected. At an investor conference today, GameStop said flat out that it is "becoming a technology company," and that it does indeed plan to introduce a cloud-based gaming service similar to OnLive as a result of the Spawn Labs acquisition, while Impulse will be used to "compete fiercely" with Steam. But that's just the start of things. According to the Dallas Morning News, GameStop also plans to expand the gaming service to a variety of mobile devices, and it's apparently even entertaining the idea of a GameStop-branded tablet, saying that "if we feel like we could do a better job of making a tablet, we'll do that." Of course, some of that is still quite a ways off, but GameStop will be taking its first steps fairly soon -- it's already showed off a demo of how the service will be integrated into its website (see above, complete with a "try it now" option), and it plans to begin a public beta sometime this year before rolling out the full service early next year.

Cade on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    One more thing for Gamestop to harang me for when they want to sell me something. Also, I can't wait for the fucking exclusives to start up. I'm gonna want to die.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That one PA comic becomes more and more hilarious in hindsight.

Doom is Gamestop, full-ripe, dealing death to the worlds, engaged in devouring competition. Even without Gamestop slaying them not one of the retailers, ranged for battle against Gamestop, shall survive.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wish them godspeed in taking down the evil Steam empire.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well, the average customer who uses DD is much different (and generally much more savvy) than your average Gamestop customer. The kinds of things that they are able to get away with in their stores aren't going to fly online.

The only way I see them putting any dent into Steam is if they somehow manage to convert your average GS user into a DD user, which seems like it might be difficult to impossible.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    GameStop, a company which for years has made it abundantly clear they don't give a wet fart's worth of a shit about PC games and whose core customer base are not PC gamers, takes over the company which is currently, at best...what, probably the #4 or #5* DD retail site for PC games?

Yeah, I'm sure Valve are just quaking in their collective boots.
    I don't know what the actual numbers are and I'm not sure it's possible to actually find this out, but I am guessing that Steam (obviously), D2D, probably Amazon, and maybe GetGames are all bigger than Impulse.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It'll be interesting to see how a company who has for years leveraged their gigantic marketplace to great effect will deal with being a small fry where there is a fairly dominant player involved.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It'll be interesting to see how a company who has for years leveraged their gigantic marketplace to great effect will deal with being a small fry where there is a fairly dominant player involved.

But isn't the PC market small fry?

Turkey on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Video Game Industry Thread: Featuring discourse on the relative sizes of ponds and the fishes therein.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    My car has a bigger dick than your car!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fish-shaped car analogies

Turkey on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My experience with Gamestop (former employee woo) was that they didn't know shit about their own product or even how basic economics works, but used game sales carried them along despite their stupidity by virtue of being able to dominate a product that carried high profits with relatively low costs. Used game sales and various types of worthless services were the lion's share of the profits, by a long shot.

Going to be interesting how they work in an environment where there is no such thing as used games sales and effectively will never be unless they can enact sweeping changes in legislation the world over.

I just don't see it happening.

Astale on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I sold back a game once

they gave me $3

I lost the receipt

so basically I gave them like $20 for free

stopped doing that

Jars on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well keep your receipt

That's hardly their fault

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Even if the recipt wasn't lost that's $17 lost due to their terrible trade in pay.

Opty on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    $3 for a game that's being sold for $20 sounds about right to me

What the hell are you expecting, half?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I went to sell some games to Gamestop once (and didn't go through with it) when I was in Portland. They were gonna give me a dollar for Mario 64 DS, and the guy explained that it depended on the game availability / rarity. I asked him for an example of a rare game, and he named Etrian Odyssey. "Oh, I have that! What would it be traded in for, same condition" (note: near perfect) "as these."

The answer? $5 or $6.

Worst. Pawn shop. Ever.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    I went to sell some games to Gamestop once (and didn't go through with it) when I was in Portland. They were gonna give me a dollar for Mario 64 DS, and the guy explained that it depended on the game availability / rarity. I asked him for an example of a rare game, and he named Etrian Odyssey. "Oh, I have that! What would it be traded in for, same condition" (note: near perfect) "as these."

The answer? $5 or $6.

Worst. Pawn shop. Ever.

Popularity plays a part as well. Etrian odyssey may be rare, but no one gives a fuck about it except for people like us.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The only time it is a good idea to trade in games at GS is when they have multiple deals going on at once and you can stack them for astronomical amounts of credit. I think I traded in like 15 games and got my 3DS for free.

The_Spaniard on