As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video game industry thread: no, Shiggy's still not dead. Damn April Fool's.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    darleysam wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    It was probably a command from on high to get rid of him that was nervously and/or clumsily handled.

Like the Crusades.

They had it coming!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It was probably a command from on high to get rid of him that was nervously and/or clumsily handled.

Like the Crusades.

They had it coming!

They only had themselves to blame!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Like the Crusades.

Winning!

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1159198p1.html

All of my dicks.. all of them...

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    To be fair you should be able to kick people using your infrastructure to make their own deals. It's like card counting in Vegas. It ain't illegal but they can give you the boot. That doesn't excuse the bogus allegation of shoplifting which to me sounds like slander.

I agree with this. It's their store, and if a person is there costing them business, they can definitely kick that person out. They definitely shouldn't do so with false allegations though.

Except a rational human being would say to a regular customer that does also bring money into the store (as the poster said), hey, please don't do that or we'll have to ask you to leave. Not immediately ban the customer and make up lies about them.

Also, he could file suit for slander. You do not throw "shoplifting" around because you want someone to leave.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Astale wrote: »
    My favorite thing working at GS was when someone walked up with a good game or whatever for trade in, they got the "we'll give you five bucks" response, and then someone else shopping in the store goes "shit, I'll give you double that right now, ten bucks" then look at the cashier to see if they wanted to start a bidding war. If it was me, I'd advise them to take the ten bucks, got me horrible looks from the manager. Other cashiers just got this deer in the headlights look, like "what the hell am I supposed to do now?".

I mean, that's getting caught being shitty, and not being able to do a damn thing about it, right there. One guy did it more than a few times (he also bought used games, so he wasn't just some weirdo, regular customer) and the manager just told him he was banned from the premesis on suspicion of shoplifting. Which, since we hadn't had any shoplifting incidents in like months, everyone knew to be total bullshit.

I want to know how that customer responded to that BS accusation.

Just didn't come back. Wasn't the type to drag the police or lawyers into it, just "that's bull and you're a bad manager" and then went to get his games at the Best Buy down the block I figure. I mean, the guy knew the manager just wanted him out, so not like he was afraid the cops would show up at his doorstep.

But yeah, if he wanted to make a big deal out of it, I'm pretty sure making false allegations as a reason to ban someone from the premesis violates some statute somewhere.

Edit: Reading the post above, yeah, I think it's slander. Shame he didn't press charges (well, as far as I know, I quit shortly after), as I'd gladly have been a witness to that.

Edit2: Reading more above; The manager could have banned him from the store just because? Didn't need to accuse him of stuff? That manager was such a winner.

Astale on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

All of my dicks.. all of them...

"Burnout Crash" better imply a return of the good crash mode.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Tell me where at EA to direct the fellatio for the announcement of a new Burnout game

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    jothki wrote: »
    Speaking of that, didn't I read a while back that SoE semi-announced that they're going to be working on another Everquest sequel?

SOE confirmed that Planetside Next and Everquest Next were still in development.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/31/soe-confirms-studio-closures-cancels-the-agency/
    As part of this restructuring, SOE is discontinuing production of The Agency so it can focus development resources on delivering two new MMOs based on its renowned PlanetSide and EverQuest properties, while also maintaining its current portfolio of online games.

Need for Speed HP covered my Burnout for awhile, so another year to wait is good enough for me.

But otherwise:
    343hmpf.jpg

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I don't know whether I should be excited about Planetside Next or not.

On one hand I love that type of setting and non-traditional MMOs.

On the other I play multiplayer shooters like a one armed, three-fingered chimp with cataracts. Which is to say I use explosives and the shotgun exclusively. Hard to miss with that crap! So did the original Planetside work well if you sucked at shooting? Like did it have a robust "X" you could do instead, like vehicle piloting, command, recon, whatnot?

Astale on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    NaughtyDog wants Uncharted 3 to be the go to multiplayer game on PS3
    n the latest GamePro Magazine some new info is revealed about Uncharted 3 Multiplayer. First of all, Naughty Dog wants Uncharted 3 to be the "go to game for PS3 multiplayer". Developers also admit that Uncharted 2 multiplayer could have been better, but they didn't have enough time to work on it.

Naughty Dog cited titles such as Red Dead Redemption and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood as influences on multiplayer. Also after all the lab tests for Uncharted 2 MP, Naughty Dog said that "One thing we learned from UC2 multiplayer was that damage / health should be "the same or similar to single player".

Cade on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Inafune's Revenge - The Revengening

Inafune founds not one but two game companies. I thought this was an April Fools joke.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cantido wrote: »

Inafune founds not one but two game companies. I thought this was an April Fools joke.

That is the joke.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Intercept is the game company. Comcept is multimedia. Books, movies, television, manga.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cade wrote: »
    NaughtyDog wants Uncharted 3 to be the go to multiplayer game on PS3
    n the latest GamePro Magazine some new info is revealed about Uncharted 3 Multiplayer. First of all, Naughty Dog wants Uncharted 3 to be the "go to game for PS3 multiplayer". Developers also admit that Uncharted 2 multiplayer could have been better, but they didn't have enough time to work on it.

Naughty Dog cited titles such as Red Dead Redemption and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood as influences on multiplayer. Also after all the lab tests for Uncharted 2 MP, Naughty Dog said that "One thing we learned from UC2 multiplayer was that damage / health should be "the same or similar to single player".

THERE IS A GOD.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Automaticzen: Thank you for posting that!

But it's way too big so you may want to just link it

Also as much as I wanted to, I really, really didn't like Need for Speed: HP. It was still too NFS and not enough Burnout. Which I mean, I guess it has to be, but then why put Criterion on it? Ah well. I can wait.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's no boat but I'm amused there is a Play Station Bowling Ball:
    41HO-TO-D6L.jpg

Kinda looks like a Pokeball.

Maybe you can trap some plush Pokemon in there or something...

Cade on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't know if the kinect boat will EVER be topped, but I did find inflatable go-karts for "Wii kart racing games!"

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    wasn't inafune talking about how he wanted to go work at a western studio?

Jars on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

That is the joke.

Inafune? Yeah, he is a bit of a joke.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Cade wrote: »
    It's no boat but I'm amused there is a Play Station Bowling Ball:
    Gotta bowl'em all!

Kinda looks like a Pokeball.

Maybe you can trap some plush Pokemon in there or something...

How in the hell does something like that work for the Move?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nocren wrote: »
    I don't know if the kinect boat will EVER be topped, but I did find inflatable go-karts for "Wii kart racing games!"

I think that tops the Kinect Boat automatically. At least the Kinect can see the boat. Maybe. Possibly.

The Wii Inflatable Go Cart though? Unless you stick the controller into a slot and rock the whole thing from side to side...

Synthesis on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »

I think that tops the Kinect Boat automatically. At least the Kinect can see the boat. Maybe. Possibly.

The Wii Inflatable Go Cart though? Unless you stick the controller into a slot and rock the whole thing from side to side...

You stick the controller in the steering wheel and use that to drive. It's far better than the completely worthless kinect boat.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

You stick the controller in the steering wheel and use that to drive. It's far better than the completely worthless kinect boat.

Technically, you don't need either. But the Wii remote isn't very hands friendly in certain instances. So attachements for it are useful.

The Kinect sensor, on the other hand, doesn't even use the boat. It's right up there with using a green felt tip marker to make CDs sound better.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's right up there with using a green felt tip marker to make CDs sound better.

Now for the low price of $9.99!

Couscous on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    In all fairness, the boat isn't completely worthless. There's the slight chance it'll prevent head injury when your retarded, thrashing kid falls on his face.
    Of course, it's just as likely to cause the fall, but the possibility still exists.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Embark on a great voyage to a place of unfathomable shame and embarassment without even leaving your living room!

A simple credit card swipe all but ensures you will reach your destination.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wonder if somewhere some guy is buying all these things up in hopes they will impress future attendees to his dream video game museum.

AZChristopher on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Technically, you don't need either. But the Wii remote isn't very hands friendly in certain instances. So attachements for it are useful.

The Kinect sensor, on the other hand, doesn't even use the boat. It's right up there with using a green felt tip marker to make CDs sound better.

A Wii steering wheel thing already exists, of course, quite separately. Which makes me think that the whole inflatable "cart" is still totally and utterly useless.

On the other hand, the sensor can't see the "boat" (or rather, it doesn't care about it). Which makes it utterly useless. But the inflatable cart is utterly useless for similar reasons.

I think it's pretty close. Though thinking about it makes me feel a little ill. Never heard of those green felt tip markers, I guess I missed the commercials.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I don't know if there were any commercials, but it was a real thing. There was this urban legend about taking a marker with a specific colour of green made by a specific manufactrer and then colouring the outside edge of a CD to make it sound better. The theory was that it would 'trap' the laser and keep it from 'leaking'. Or something.

Since then, for me, any accessory product that exists but is wholly unnecessary to the intended function would be automatically made better if it involved green.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

A Wii steering wheel thing already exists, of course, quite separately. Which makes me think that the whole inflatable "cart" is still totally and utterly useless.

On the other hand, the sensor can't see the "boat" (or rather, it doesn't care about it). Which makes it utterly useless. But the inflatable cart is utterly useless for similar reasons.

I think it's pretty close. Though thinking about it makes me feel a little ill. Never heard of those green felt tip markers, I guess I missed the commercials.

It's not for adults, but if I were in 3rd grade, inflatable carts to play Mario Kart in (or boats for the boat game) would be amazing.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't know if there were any commercials, but it was a real thing. There was this urban legend about taking a marker with a specific colour of green made by a specific manufactrer and then colouring the outside edge of a CD to make it sound better. The theory was that it would 'trap' the laser and keep it from 'leaking'. Or something.

Since then, for me, any accessory product that exists but is wholly unnecessary to the intended function would be automatically made better if it involved green.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    HTML fail.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I see what you did there. And I like it!

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Goodness gracious, the legs on Mario Kart Wii are crazy. Nintendo Australia is filming a new commercial for it, despite already had one when the game launched. It's been almost 3 years since it launched.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's Nintendo and Australia. The game probably just came out there.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm sure Yahtzee will review it soon and bitch about Aus release dates then!

Astale on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ...we got it when you guys did. And Yahtzee flat out refused to review it when it came out.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I kinda forgot Yahtzee existed

He was funny enough to watch when they had a thread here, but now I'd have to like...go to the site every week and...

Too much work

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The guy who talks about video game theory is kind of entertaining, sometimes.

Fencingsax on