As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prey 2 - It sure doesn't sound like Prey!

Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
Anyone remember Prey?

1139353008.jpg

You were Tommy, a Native American trying to save his girlfriend from horrible aliens after the bar you were in gets abducted (That's right! The entire bar!). It had some neat wall walking and portal jumping mechanics. Well, it's getting a sequel.

1732112-1732078_prey_2_super_super.jpg

Now you're this new guy. According to Kotaku he's a US Marshal who was present on an airplane that was abducted by the same ship that snatched up poor Tommy. You eventually arrive on an alien world where you work as a bounty hunter. It's open world. Of course the only thing that is confirmed is that Prey 2 exists and is being developed by Human Head Studios, the creators of the first game.

And then there's the live action trailer. It gives me hope that the Kotaku article is spot on. Anyone else excited?

Igpx407 on

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lame they're replacing the main character with someone that looks pretty generic.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Put me in the 'WHAT THE FUCK' category. Tommys story wasn't really finished if memory serves me right. Its been a while since I last played it though so i'm probably horribly wrong on the ending.

edit: The sole human on alien world bounty hunter sounds cool. But it has nothing to do with the first game. Why keep the name? Its hardly like the first game took off big time and has a bit of oomph to it.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i really liked the first game

actually going to play it again

holding my excitment for this though

agreeing with the sentiment that "us army dude" probably won't be as cool as tommy

although some parts of the native american things they brought into the game seemed

eh

like the pipe

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tommy better be God damned integral to the story and prominent in the game, if nothing else. Prey 1 ends with you being invited to meet "new employers" (something along those lines) via a portal opened up by the female leader of the rebels from earlier in the game. Something about a group very impressed and interested in what you managed, basically, the game ended Half-life style. Also, I assume this means no spirit world, which sucks because they could have cleaned it up to be more than just a "continue" button. One of the best moments of the first game, was that the "spirit world" turned out to be a literal place that the aliens managed to invade.

Like the sound of an open, alien world, stuffed with portals, messed up gravity, puzzles, kooky guns with silly things (living, squeaking grenades was the best) and general funtimes. Also expecting the idTech 5 engine to be involved, just because that's what I want. Also another generic American is a fucking awful protagonist decision, and makes me want to slap Human Head.

Anything less and I'm going to consider this a flop. Colour me hyped, but fickle.

What is with recent sequel announcements, anyways? Call of Juarez is now a modern day shooter in a single town, about some corrupt cops and Prey is now about some generic American in space.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Klash wrote: »
    Tommy better be God damned integral to the story and prominent in the game, if nothing else. Prey 1 ends with you being invited to meet "new employers" (something along those lines) via a portal opened up by the female leader of the rebels from earlier in the game. Something about a group very impressed and interested in what you managed, basically, the game ended Half-life style. Also, I assume this means no spirit world, which sucks because they could have cleaned it up to be more than just a "continue" button. One of the best moments of the first game, was that the "spirit world" turned out to be a literal place that the aliens managed to invade.

Like the sound of an open, alien world, stuffed with portals, messed up gravity, puzzles, kooky guns with silly things (living, squeaking grenades was the best) and general funtimes. Also expecting the idTech 5 engine to be involved, just because that's what I want. Also another generic American is a fucking awful protagonist decision, and makes me want to slap Human Head.

Anything less and I'm going to consider this a flop. Colour me hyped, but fickle.

What is with recent sequel announcements, anyways? Call of Juarez is now a modern day shooter in a single town, about some corrupt cops and Prey is now about some generic American in space.

Since it's still the original developers I'm betting Tommy is in here somewhere. I also like to think that this guy is less generic than he looks, but only time will tell with both of these concerns.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really enjoyed the original, I liked it way more than Doom 3 and Quake 4. And yeah, that ending was very Half-Life.

That magazine cover though... :( I want to continue Tommy's story, not Sam Fisher's.

Moioink on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cautiously optimistic. I just hope they don't have annoying filler like the vehicle levels in the original.

Turkey on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, if Duke Nukem Forever actually does get released this year, I guess we need something to fill the vaporware void.

Though Episode 3 has a head start on them.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, if Duke Nukem Forever actually does get released this year, I guess we need something to fill the vaporware void.

Almost 3.5 years and not even a screenshot. :(

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Almost 3.5 years and not even a screenshot. :(

That's a little over 25% of the way to the record!

In all honesty, though, the original Prey was a pretty fun outing. I enjoyed some of the mindbending level design, particularly the infinity hallway. It had a troubled development, and even after release it was a bit on the rocks, what with the death of Triton. I hope this time around things are a little smoother for Human Head.

Don't quite know what to make of the change in the main character, though. I thought Tommy and his heritage were central to the game, so generic grizzled badass #395 doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I loved the first Prey and am going to play through it again now. I don't know if Prey 2 will be any good but I'll pick it up to find out.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Guys. what if this is alien oblivion. We don't know if the character will even have a story, they certainly dont show his face, what if its just you as the character? "olol oblivion gates are teh new protalz!"

I really liked the first prey, the story was really neat, and the multiplayer was amazing. The ooze shotgun sucked but just about everything else was pretty good in it(some weapons were generic)

I think the only thing really disappointing about prey is right near the start, theres a button you can press(theres alot of asshole physics going on near the start, you can toggle stuff and flush toilets, etc) and when you press it something absolutely terrible happens, and your character kind of agonizes over it. After that to me it taught me that maybe I shouldn't run around pressing everything I see. Except the fact that I am pretty sure that is the last button in the entire game that does random bullshit. or theres no "i wonder what happens if I do this, and maybe I dont have to activate this button". So it ended up being a bullshit "gotcha" from the devs

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Igpx407 wrote: »
    According to Kotaku he's a US Marshal who was present on an airplane that was abducted by the same ship that snatched up poor Tommy.
    I wonder if that's the same plane you see crash in the first game?

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It is. Its also the same Guy you meet in the first game who turns crazy. I guess he somehow got over the crazy?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really found myself detesting Tommy from Prey, so in that regard I don't mind playing as someone else. However, this guy does just look like Sam Fisher, which sadly makes it look like they ran out of imagination.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ahh, Prey. Good times, even though it was only good enough for a rental; I thought it turned out pretty solid, with some unique mechanics (doing portals before Portal made it cool, and those freaky-awesome alien weapons). Also, a great use of "Don't Fear the Reaper" on the jukebox, nicely foreshadowing the whole spirit world thing.

This, however, does not sound as promising; while I applaud the studio for trying to expand the universe in a new direction other than "direct sequel starring the protagonist", what made Prey cool was the fact that it was a well-done linear shooter with unique mechanics and great setpieces. Few franchises have managed to make the transition to open-world style gameplay successfully (Other than Spider-Man 2, I can't think of a few more good examples right now), and unless they really manage to nail the gameplay this might well turn out a mess at worst, forgettable at best. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    darleysam wrote: »
    I really found myself detesting Tommy from Prey, so in that regard I don't mind playing as someone else. However, this guy does just look like Sam Fisher, which sadly makes it look like they ran out of imagination.

I didn't like him at first given how he was neglecting his heritage and culture. But the more I played and saw him come round to his past the more I liked him. Felt real.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hated him for that. But then I find american indian culture boring as hell (for the record I'm Irish and find them boring as hell too, but with funny accents. And leprechauns), and the old HERE IS AN EAGLE SPIRIT BLAH BLAH HERITAGE made me roll my eyes. I liked the game though, as far as mechanics go, just not the characters and plot.

So if they can make a better plot with a new character, I'm all for it. Here's hoping he isn't generic brooding guy 3.

Astale on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    After Prey's novelty wore off about a couple of hours in, I found I had to slog through to the end of the game. Not only did it seem to get less imaginative as it went on, but the dumb spirit world mechanic removed any sort of challenge or satisfaction from actually playing the game. By the end, I was in complete "Man, whatever" mode.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Really? They're taking what was the first original FPS lead character design in years and replacing him with yet another stubblechinned grimfaced baldhead US Marshall bounty hunter with body armor and tacticool gear?

Jesus I thought we were over the whole space marine thing already.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    And his gun looks normal.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Really? They're taking what was the first original FPS lead character design in years and replacing him with yet another stubblechinned grimfaced baldhead US Marshall bounty hunter with body armor and tacticool gear?

I love the little numbers scratched into his suspenders, it really shows off how much of a badass this guy is.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    still not as hard as that BLOPS dude with akimbo 1911s covered in hash marks

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You're right, that's even more xhardXcorex

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does have some hash marks on his bandolier though.

Gotta be countin dem kills.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll give this a shot... Prey wasn't BAD, but it just wasn't good after the intro part. That was part of the problem. They set the damn bar so high with the intro that the rest of the game paled in comparison.

Seeing those people get tortured though... Broke my heart.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

It's a careful balance, you know? If they edged up the badass factor any more, they've have to get Steven Blum to do the voice acting... And then CliffyB would show up out of nowhere to promote the game.
    urahonky wrote: »
    Seeing those people get tortured though... Broke my heart.

That part... Still one of the only times I really squirmed uncomfortably while playing a game. Ugh. They were really successful with striking a nerve with that one. Specifically, I'm talking about the part where
    you watch helplessly while Enisi gets brutally murdered by that machine.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You can hear the squish too.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hrm, I've always wanted to play Prey, but it does not seem to exist on Steam.

Sad face.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Magus` wrote: »
    Hrm, I've always wanted to play Prey, but it does not seem to exist on Steam.

Sad face.

They ran out of cd keys. You can, however, buy a new retail copy of the game and register the cd key with Steam. I just ordered a new copy off Amazon to do exactly that, actually. You used to be able to buy the game off Gamersgate and register it, but they ran out of keys too.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Talk about excited-to-underwhelmed from seeing the thread title to seeing the actual thread. I really enjoyed the first game and they're dumping the main character for Generic McMarine? Meh. Also, double boo for a lame live action trailer. :(

Glal on
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Prey 2" sounds like a synonym for "Bad Idea." Why are they making a sequel to Prey? Is it the huge name recognition from mega-blockbuster FPS legend Prey, or because they are dying to expand the rich tapestry of fiction they wove about that guy who gets abducted by aliens and then the aliens invade his afterlife for some reason?

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They're trying to attract people who didn't play/like Prey by keeping the name and at the same time keep the existing fanbase by throwing out the main character.

No, wait.

Glal on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like how dude's all like "Whelp... kidnapped to a strange alien world, guess I'll be a bounty-hunter"

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I like how dude's all like "Whelp... kidnapped to a strange alien world, guess I'll be a bounty-hunter"

Might as well, it's not like you'd have fuck all to do anyway.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, personally I'd be focusing my efforts on finding a way home.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I loved Prey, I'm currently wearing the Prey shirt I got from the E3 tournament they had before the game came out. So close to winning too.. One kill short. It was such BS too, I spawned on the other side of the map from everyone else in the final round of the tournament and spent the first few minutes of the match completely alone trying to find someone to kill. Then I finally got to the right area and started clawing my way up the ladder until I tied with the first place guy. In the last few seconds I come out ahead and then he gets a lucky double kill and passes me up in the final moment of the match. I wanted to tear off my own head with rage at the fucked luck that screwed me out of a free top shelf computer that I would have won.

Shit I just went on a weird flashback there.. err anyway as I was saying. I loved prey, but the fact that the sequel is staring Joe EveryMan means no more spirit walking, no more spirit powers, no more spirit totem, no more afterlife... just how many mechanics of a series can you strip out and still have the same game?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Well, personally I'd be focusing my efforts on finding a way home.

gotta eat in the mean time

maybe make a little pocket change on top

maybe expand the business a little

buy a mortgage

Nuzak on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, will this have Godzilla playing while you get abducted?

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Uh.... you know I like to joke about space marine joe everyman(I mean look at the generic pistol/shotgun compared to the guns in the first game), but we really don't know shit about the character or backstory or if there will be any spiritual part to this at all.

For all we know after he goes crazy(if thats the storyline) the indian ancestors pick him up and fix him, and show him the way of the warrior or some shit. I mean really he could be irish and when you hit the spirit key you turn into a leprechaun and fuck shit up with 4 leaf clover shurikens and a maul made from a pot o' gold. Instead of the sun beam you get omega rainbow railgun.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png