Options

Bonds question

IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Not James Bond, sorry. This is about those money bonds.

I had some bonds from when I was a wee lad, the late 80's and early 90's that I just decided to cash in last week. I had 21 bonds, all different amounts totaling to (I'd rather not say the specific amount) ~2500USD according to the number on the bill.

Now I just got the receipt and it is a little confusing. Seeing as the bank is closed, I thought I'd ask here. It shows the number redeemed, 21, the Total $ redeemed ~3000, Total Interest ~ 2000 (different amount than the bonds total), and the total deposited to the account is the same as the total redeemed.

What I don't quite understand is how the listed interest is slightly more than the dollar amount I brought in, the total redeemed is exactly 1000 more than the "total interest, and then how the deposited amount doesn't show anything different than total redeemed.

Is the $1000 difference the interest?

Thanks H/A.

Icemopper on

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, there are many types of bonds. I assume you had savings bonds. Savings bonds were sold for 50% of their face value. So the Total Interest would be the amount you redeemed minus 1/2 the face value. If you put all the money from the bonds in the bank than that would also be the deposited amount.

I would guess the bonds were initially purchased for $1000.
    The actual interest rate is a little confusing and depends on how long you held the bonds (I hope you didn't cash in any before they were 20 years old). wiki which is insightful.

Cauld on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok, that makes sense, I guess. They were definitely at least 20 years old, so that's good. I'll probably call tomorrow to see if I can look at the detailed transaction.

Thanks for the help though.

Icemopper on