Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Out EVERYWHERE now! Friend Code extravaganza top of page one.

RehabRehab Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
Get your 3DS Friend Codes here.

I'll try to keep on top of this as much as I can, but the following should provide anyone with more then enough Penny Arcade people to friend and is as comprehensive as I could get for now.
These people aren't in SirUltimos's web thingy:

The Mantiz: 2878 - 9572 - 9277
MarioG: 0860-3240-2604
SurferRosa: 2449-4619-8069
Fiji: 0387-8776-3145
Damagemanual: 0301-9784-2762
Draysoth:2320-6133-3744
earthwormadam 1719 3175 9934

I'm going to start adding a bunch of people now.
My FC is 3952 7010 1022
SirUltimos wrote: »
Okay dudes, I have the site set up.

http://www.sirultimos.com/3ds

Right now you can't click anyone's name to email them, but I'll finish that up tonight. And make it prettier. Feel free to add all your friend codes and regions (I'm gonna have it so you can sort by region).

This thing is out everywhere now and the 3D revolution is now in full swing.

Here is what Game Rankings has to say and here is what Metacritis has to say.

Most people posting seem to be saying that Splinter Cell: Ghost Recon is really good and Super Street Fighter IV is getting a lot of play too. Appartenly the Lego Star Wars game isn't too bad either.

And now, some launch news . . .

3DS Preorders More Than Double The Wii's
Hey, did you know that the 3DS is landing on Sunday? Japan has been messing around with glasses-free 3D for over a month and Europe got their hands on the latest Nintendo portable today. It feels like the Game Boy Advance launch!

I must not be the only one feeling that way because the 3DS has reached new preorder heights:

We've been seeing very strong demand for the Nintendo 3DS. We've been working very closely with Nintendo to maintain our reservations, to keep them open, and Nintendo's been very good in providing us with additional supply. But demand has been so strong that we are working literally every day with Nintendo to ensure that we have sufficient product.

That's Gamestop's Tony Bartel.

What's more, Nintendo has confirmed that preorder numbers for the Nintendo 3DS has reached a point by which they double the Nintendo Wii's numbers at the same point before the home console's launch.

Now for some perspective: The Wii was VASTLY understocked before its own launch. The 3DS probably has much more availability. I camped out to preorder a Wii. I'm confident in the fact that I'll probably be able to walk into a store on Sunday morning and find a 3DS available for me without a preorder. Anyone with money that says I'm wrong? Say $250?

The Best Place to Buy a 3DS Is...
The Nintendo 3DS is the most expensive handheld in history, but it packs some pretty powerful specs under the hood along with a glasses-free 3D screen. Still, the price may have some consumers passing on a 3DS on launch day. Now you don't have to, if you use our money-saving tips, that is.

Amazon.com is offering a $25 credit toward the purchase of a 3DS game and a free credit toward a select accessory when you purchase a Nintendo 3DS. The saving doesn't have to stop there, Amazon is also offering a $10 credit with the purchase of a select 3DS game. So, you can use the $25 credit to get a game, which gives you another credit to buy another game! Confusing? Good!

If you don't feel like waiting for the 3DS to be shipped to your door, K-Mart has a similar deal that takes place at the point sale. No waiting for promotional credits, either. If you buy a Nintendo 3DS at K-Mart between March 27 and April 2, you can instantly save $25 off a 3DS launch title.

If you're upgrading your old DS, DSi or DSi XL to a 3DS, then you might want to check out GameStop instead. They're offering a $100 trade in credit when you trade in a DSi XL for a 3DS, a $75 trade in on a DSI for a 3DS, and a $50 trade in credit on regular DS models when purchasing a 3DS.

Still on the fence? No fear, Game Revolution's review of the Nintendo 3DS and key launch software are coming soon. We'll have extensive 3DS coverage including a FAQ that answers all of your burning questions. (If you've got any questions you want answered, go ahead and ask 'em here).

IGN also has some Nintendo 3DS Deals posted now too.

Game Developers Conference 3DS Coverage:
Spoiler:

3dsbanner.png

3DS: A brief introspective look:

classy3ds.png

This is the Nintendo 3DS. As you can see, it is a sophisticated looking handheld with an elegant design even in its default closed position. Notice the beautiful aesthetics of the two perfectly positioned cameras on the front. The real surprise comes when you open it though. Behold, the timeless and innovative two screen inventiveness birthed by the classic Nintendo DS makes its triumphant return, but improved! Those who are especially astute will observe that the bottom screen is a touch screen and the fashionable stylus which offers truly extraordinary comfort and control when utilizing this device. It is mesmerizing in its boldness and simplicity, no? But hold your gaze upon it no longer at this time, for I implore that you glance at the even more exquisite screen located just above.

Now this ladies and gentlemen is a breathtakingly immaculate and advanced screen. From the inception of this wondrous product it was decided that this central feature would delight users with a wide screen display, the capacity to create gorgeous renderings of an unparalleled resolution, and more stunning yet . . . real 3D images, without the need for detestable and garish glasses which only serve to make one look quite foolish. The genius spark behind it astounds and amazes! You will not care to look at the "exquisite" art in your private collection after experiencing this marvel for yourself. What was once thought to be a work of nigh perfection will quickly begin to pale in comparison, and every piece will begin to appear flat and boring by their very nature. You will henceforth cease to desire their supposed qualities, and crave the stimulation of images that pop out! Also, encased in this brilliant iPod-like shell are other novelties which I do not quite comprehend. However, I have heard genuinely engaging and intellectually rousing discussion of gyroscopes, embedded microphones, communication of a wireless nature, universal codes which are said to be friendly, and perhaps most intriguing of all . . . alternate realities.

This is the Nintendo 3DS.

Its cutting-edge tech, in a truly luxurious handheld.™

magic3ds.png

Its also magic!

Launch Games Lineup for America/Australia:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Videos courtesy of Nintendo:

previewimage.png iwatalaughs3ds.png gamelineupvideo.png capcominterview.png petermooreinterview.png

Recent news of interest and reviews: (brought to you by UncleSporky)
Spoiler:

Other news:
Spoiler:

A fuckton of commercials like this to be expected soon!

1UP has the 3DS Launch in Japan Covered:

The 3DS is Now Available - Info Here

987o.jpg

992a.jpg

984t.jpg

991b.jpg

985i.jpg

989om.jpg

979q.jpg

Coming soon:
Spoiler:

3DS Launch Window Games List (link here)
Spoiler:

Links to prominent 3DS related sites:

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds

http://ds.ign.com/

http://www.3dsbuzz.com/

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/

https://sites.google.com/site/nintendomediaground/

Rehab on

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Forumer impressions pulled from the last thread by order of appearance (starting from page 90):
    Spoiler:

Things that might interest you as a new 3DS owner:
    Lunker wrote: »
    And yes, that Nyko battery review on Joystiq really got me excited:
    'll stop with the suspense: does the Power Pak + work? Pretty much! Here are the results of my experiment.

3D on, brightness maximum, wireless on:
    Nyko Power Pak +: 5:33
    3DS battery: 2:52

3D off, brightness at minimum, Power-Saving on, wireless off:
    Nyko Power Pak +: 9:04*
    3DS battery: 4:40

*only tested once, because it took nine hours

Plus it doesn't look nearly as bulky as people were saying:

nyko3312.jpg
    Xaviar wrote: »
    NintendoMiis.jpg

Yamauchi, Iwata, Miyamoto

Most metal fucking boxart so far:

69e399ff2e077bde14c584682bf07310.jpg?v=227250

Bask in its glory!

• Goodfella2487Goodfella2487 Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Preordered. My eyes will likely fall out of my head after playing this the next five years, but I ain't even mad.

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, as a person who likes handhelds, likes JRPGs, but generally couldn't care less about Nintendo-specific games (mario, zelda, metroid) what does the 3DS lineup have to offer for ME? Also to be honest I don't even care about the THREE DEE thing at all, I'm more interested in the horsepower behind the graphics or whatever.

Alistair wrote: »
    I use Dog as a cover for when I put dead animals in Morrigan's underthings
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Shadow Wars maybe? I dunno, I'm just getting it because I really really need a new handheld right about now. My DS Lite is cracked and breaking up...

• DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Astale wrote: »
    So, as a person who likes handhelds, likes JRPGs, but generally couldn't care less about Nintendo-specific games (mario, zelda, metroid) what does the 3DS lineup have to offer for ME? Also to be honest I don't even care about the THREE DEE thing at all, I'm more interested in the horsepower behind the graphics or whatever.

It'll probably be like the DS in that the pickings will be slim at first, but eventually there will be all sorts of crazy awesome RPGs released. There's already a Paper Mario game announced, and given how well their DS offerings fared I'd be shocked if Square-Enix isn't working on all kinds of 3DS games.

Signature not found.
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It's getting an SRPG near launch and Paper Mario within the first year.

After that you'll get MM Legends 3, Rocket Slime 3, and a crap load of Atlus, plus whatever PSP ports end up on the thing.

Power wise the thing is comparable to a Wii but with modern shader support.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It doesn't look like there's much in the way of JRPGs right now, I guess SMT could count but it's sort've just a 3D port from the DS. I except Atlus to give us a boatload of awesome though.

3DS: 1118-0244-2697
    edited March 2011
    If you don't count Zelda the last system to launch with a good RPG was the SNES with FF II.

Even FFX which was remarkably close to launch was what, one year out from the American launch and about the same from the Japanese?

• SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love the smell of a new thread in the mornin'

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If the next Etrian Odyssey doesn't come out in a PAL format somewhere, I'm gonna punch someone. That is one game I am hoping like hell comes out here. Which is unlikely, since I'm pretty sure EO2 or 3 both didn't get a PAL release.

3DS: 1118-0244-2697
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Has Picross 3DS been announced?

edited March 2011

Basically the same question answered from the last thread:
    Tales of the Abyss
    Paper Mario
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (Atlus)
    Final Fantasy (working title)
    Harvest Moon 3D (working title)
    Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
    Fantasy Life (Level-5)
    Mega Man Legends 3
    Etrian Odyssey (working title) (Atlus)
    Eternal Eden
    Class of Heroes 3Dx3D (Atlus)

Shin Megami Tensei is listed three times on upcoming game lists, so it's likely there are several in development for 3DS.

I'm a terrible resource here myself as I care about all the things that you couldn't care less about. :P That and things related to Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, and fighting game goodness of course.

edited March 2011
    Yeah, it's basically, port, port, shit that's far off, port, port, and Paper Mario.

• CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, if you've never played Abyss I can wholeheartedly recommend it. Especially knowing how many of the Nintendo loyal seem to love Symphonia.

• mntorankusumntorankusu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I missed this from the old thread, since I never check the op, but
    Watch both 2D and 3D content from Netflix on your 3DS beginning this summer.

the article you linked to is wrong. I don't know if it's been confirmed since then, but they were not referring to Netflix when they said "3D content is also on the way". They didn't announce 3D content for Netflix at GDC. I don't know if it's been announced since then, but if it has, then someone find an article with a correct quote.

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Abyss was my favorite tales just because of Jade.

Alistair wrote: »
    I use Dog as a cover for when I put dead animals in Morrigan's underthings
  • LodsiekLodsiek Registered User
    edited March 2011
    I went and played the 3DS at Best Buy today. Spoiler'd for length.
    Spoiler:

TL;DR: It looks good. 3D works and feels very natural (at least in Pilotwings). Slider is a great way to implement this.

If anyone has a question about the 3D effect/visuals and can't get to a demo unit I'll try to answer.

edited March 2011
    I'm probably the biggest Nintendo fanboy around these parts and I'm not afraid to admit that I've never liked Pilotwings at all.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria Mighty No. 6978 AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm gonna try to track down a demo unit this weekend. Hopefully I get there before hoodlums scratch the screen to shit with keys. I remember seeing that when the DS Phat came out. So painful.

zeldawideshot.jpg
    3DS Friend Code: 2664-2118-8366
    PSN & Wii U: RidleySaria
    edited March 2011
    Things are getting serious at the main website for Nintendo. They have a countdown clock and everything!

Almost as sure a sign that a console launch is close as unboxing videos. It just passed the 8 day and 22 hour threshold.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 Yeah, I know, I missed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm gonna try to track down a demo unit this weekend. Hopefully I get there before hoodlums scratch the screen to shit with keys. I remember seeing that when the DS Phat came out. So painful.

Fun story: When the Guitar Hero drums came out we had a demo unit at work, and somewhere down the line there was actually a kid who punched the drums rather than use the drumsticks.

He didn't get to use them for long.

Anywho, I'm ready for my DS IN THE THIRD DIMENSION!

• VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    guys, you can get those demo units to back out to the main menu

first, turn the system off, then hold L, R, START, and SELECT all at once for three seconds. then turn it back on and you'll get a message about streetpass, from there press the HOME button and you're good to go.

I'm not sure how much trouble you'd get in if you got caught doing this, but that's how.

• MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    God, playing with the demo station didn't make the wait better at all. It made it worse. Why would I tease myself like that?

9 more days and I have my own.

NINE.

Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    mario go back tomorrow and try that trick I posted

then tell us how awesome the menus look

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    It doesn't look like there's much in the way of JRPGs right now, I guess SMT could count but it's sort've just a 3D port from the DS. I except Atlus to give us a boatload of awesome though.

As was pointed out in the other thread, RPGs are the kinds of games that take dev time, and as such are generally not so common near system launches

camo_sig2.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MarioG wrote: »
    God, playing with the demo station didn't make the wait better at all. It made it worse. Why would I tease myself like that?

9 more days and I have my own.

NINE.

Is Europe (extremely marginally) ahead of the game for once? Expecting mine on Friday.

• harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I call my Gamestop and see if they're doing a midnight launch. That's much preferable to having to get up early Sunday morning.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    Lorahalo wrote: »

As was pointed out in the other thread, RPGs are the kinds of games that take dev time, and as such are generally not so common near system launches

Not that it really matters anyway, Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D is going to make everyone forget that they ever desired other games, let alone gave thought to making other purchases. Once it graces us with its presence and enters 3DS slots everywhere we will find ourselves at the pinnacle of the heighest heights of gaming. All the other games we have consumed will not even begin to compare. Henceforth, they will all exist in a vast gaming ghetto located far far below the most sacred and revered of plateaus upon which Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D will be placed. People everywhere will simultaneously connect, their 3DS systems tethered to walls so that their batteries never run out, and we will all weep for joy as we are united in a moment that defies all others. We will unblinkingly gaze into the greatest achievement that could ever be achieved, and we will all be too hopelessly transfixed to bother to wonder how this could have resulted from that which was created by the hands of mere mortals. Our fragile copreal bodies will be overtaken by the sheer brilliance of an experience that will transcend interactive art and become something greater, something God-like, although we will never truly possess the language required to even begin to adequately describe it. Nor will we bother to either, as we will remain transfixed eternally, powerless to ignore that which is before us and rendered completely unable to do all else. Rendered completely unable to want anything else.

Or . . . at least this undefiable moment in time would last eternally, but as mortals it would have to eventually end as is written by the laws of nature. And so we will take in this splendor that nullifies all else until we collectively perish, and at this time we too will become like the dinosaur, but through them we will have seen the virtual equivalent of the face of God. And if he exists and we meet him in the afterlife, here we will all find ourselves united once again. United in the immense dissappointment that he is not a dinosaur, fighting other dinosaurs . . . in 3D. And at this time we will wish to undo the fact that we ever existed as the only thing that we could ever possibly begin to desire will be out of reach for all eternity. An eternity without Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D.

Forumer Two Headed Boy actually received this at work and so we should hopefully have impressions about the game soon. They might have to be transcribed by someone else as he basks into the void of perfection murmuring about its utter . . . perfectness, but I look forward to it nonetheless! I'm anxious to hear about the 3D effect (and the overwhelming bliss of course).

• JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Perhaps this is an indication that I spend too much time on the internet, but I can't tell if that's gentle sarcasm and you expect it to be kind of alright, or vicious sarcasm where you expect it to be a total piece of shit

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I made this back when we first got a good look at the AR games, so you can print one without needing to scan or copy it (or so you can make boobs pop out of your computer screen, whatever):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/211987/arcard.png[/IMG]

That was fun, but it's kind of tricky to move around it when you're facing it top-down on the screen.

As for those whose issue with Pilotwings was that it was just Wuhu Island again, it may interest you to know there are some surrounding islands this time. One is marked on the map as a smaller, private island, another a deserted island, and then way out there, you've got the "island" which housed the golf courses in Wii Sports, if I'm not mistaken.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif
  • The MantizThe Mantiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh God! I just realized that this is out in under a week :O
    Spoiler:

3DS - [/COLOR] 2878-9572-9277
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    Spoiler:

Man what the hell Europe gets it before the Glorious United States? What the hell.

I didn't think about this until now but I'm glad I never played any of the games with Wuhu Island in it, so Pilotwings will feel that much more new to me.

mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria Mighty No. 6978 AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As for those whose issue with Pilotwings was that it was just Wuhu Island again, it may interest you to know there are some surrounding islands this time. One is marked on the map as a smaller, private island, another a deserted island, and then way out there, you've got the "island" which housed the golf courses in Wii Sports, if I'm not mistaken.

Those satellite islands were always around Wuhu though, weren't they?

zeldawideshot.jpg
    3DS Friend Code: 2664-2118-8366
    PSN & Wii U: RidleySaria
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I see 3DS carrying cases at GS already. Would most standard DSi cases work just aswell?

PSN; AlbertBOMB
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Of note for the Best Buy 3DS units: They may seem to be bolted down if you try to pick up the system whole handed. Pick it up by the edges, and if you are still having trouble, slide it back towards the display to get the magnet to let go. Now the tether is still just about 6" to short for your average gaming adult, but it will look a little less like you are praying to it. Even though you want to.

• WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MarioG wrote: »

I am avoiding going into Best Buys in my area for this reason specifically. I've been able to keep myself busy enough to not think about it (until I check this damned thread) but I'm really getting antsy.

Keep posting impressions, I will continue to live vicariously through you all!

3DS Friend Code: 4725 7947 2964
    PSN ID: Wraithverge
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive Damn these electric sex pants! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gah.

One week to go. I've booked the day off, I've moved money around my accounts, I've finally finished a bunch of games to get some money off with trade-ins... Now all I have to do is wait.

I'm thinking Rayman for the launch title, unless I see terribad reviews. I loved the 2D game and never got to play the 3D one.

Another successful post, thanks to the power of Spacestar Ordering™!
  • The MantizThe Mantiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    Spoiler:

Man what the hell Europe gets it before the Glorious United States? What the hell.

YES! Considering we just got Kirby: Epic Yarn, this is a huge improvement. :^:

3DS - [/COLOR] 2878-9572-9277
  • JaveJave Registered User
    edited March 2011
    I'll definitely be scouting the mall this weekend to see which stores will have it on Day 1. I doubt we'll get any demo kiosks down here, though who knows?

General consensus seems to be SSFIV is the best choice of the launch titles, having the most 3DS-exclusive features of the lot.

My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Descendant XDescendant X Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't know if I can handle waiting another week. I'm going to pick up Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey this weekend as it's only $18 new at EBGames.

I was going to get Samurai Warriors but I may have to wait a few days after launch.

I've taken the last week of March off so that I can play 3DS until my eyes bleed.

steam_sig.png
    Wii U: HankFacepunch
    Feel free to add me.
This discussion has been closed.