As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Out EVERYWHERE now! Friend Code extravaganza top of page one.

• Goodfella2487Goodfella2487 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rehab wrote: »
    MarioG wrote: »
    Oh god. It's 3DS day. I leave to GameStop in 8 hours. I'm shitting my pajama pants.

What's all the excitement for? Cool hardware aside, there isn't a single game at launch that warrants you soiling your pajamas.

Is cool new hardware and the fact that there is portable Street Fighter IV in 3D not enough?

Hell, just messing around with the 3DS demo with Pilotwings had me a lot more excited about the device. Would you really just say "meh" and become disinterested if someone handed you a 3DS? I should hope not!

I played Pilotwings 3DS at my local Best Buy, looked cool but not my type of game...need something deeper. As for fighting games, I love me some Virtua Fighter and Tekken but I've never been a fan of the Street Fighter series. If there were an Advance Wars 3D title at launch I'd be a day 1 adopter, but for now I'm sticking with the PSP and playing the shit out of Tactics Ogre: LUCT + Dissidia Duodecim.

Goodfella2487 on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh god. It's 3DS day. I leave to GameStop in 8 hours. I'm shitting my pajama pants.

What's all the excitement for? Cool hardware aside, there isn't a single game at launch that warrants you soiling your pajamas.

Because its fun to be excited for cool hardware that will undoubtedly get great games eventually? It does a lot of neat stuff and plays all the awesome DS games that are already out? And it wont get a price drop for years?

Yeah! This is Games and Technology forum! I love Games and Technology!

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • TomaToma Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Damn it, I wish I could try DS mode at least once before I buy the 3DS. If the resolution (both upscaled and 1:1) is good enough for me, I'd trade my DSi in. I don't have that much DSiWare anyways. But if Its too blurry/small, then I'd rather keep my DSi around for DS games.

This is going to be one of those systems that everyone's going to want to show off to people who don't have it. I'd be pretty confident that you'll find someone who will let you give it a shot.

It's funny how I've heard everything between "it ruins DS games" to "about looks the same". I'm sure there's some pixel-perfect-purists who would swear against it, but I also wouldn't write off having it look completely untouched, either.

Toma on
    tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

What's all the excitement for? Cool hardware aside, there isn't a single game at launch that warrants me soiling my pajamas.

Is cool new hardware and the fact that there is portable Street Fighter IV in 3D not enough?

Hell, just messing around with the 3DS demo with Pilotwings had me a lot more excited about the device. Would you really just say "meh" and become disinterested if someone handed you a 3DS? I should hope not!

I played Pilotwings 3DS at my local Best Buy, looked cool but not my type of game...need something deeper. As for fighting games, I love me some Virtua Fighter and Tekken but I've never been a fan of the Street Fighter series. If there were an Advance Wars 3D title at launch I'd be a day 1 adopter, but for now I'm sticking with the PSP and playing the shit out of Tactics Ogre: LUCT + Dissidia Duodecim.

Fixed your original post.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Not going to say anything about Virtual Fighter or Tekken as those are both solid games, but I can't help you for not liking Street Fighter. Thats clearly your loss. :P

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Because its fun to be excited for cool hardware that will undoubtedly get great games eventually? It does a lot of neat stuff and plays all the awesome DS games that are already out? And it wont get a price drop for years?

Like any new console, it's the new and shiny. My expectations are pretty tempered, I've had the chance to try it already a few times, and I'm still at least excited to have it on my own just to settle in with the 3D and dig into SSFIV for the first real time (tried the console, ragequit due to online play being populated entirely by people way more invested and better than me).

I've the feeling the AR games and Face Raiders will last me all of 30 minutes, and I'm reining myself into only buying one launch title, so after I get my jollies out, the main use for my 3DS will be finishing up my DS backlog. :P

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    First 3DS experience! The Gamestop I work at got our demo unit in, so I was busy showing customers all day. Pretty awesome! It just works. I didn't think it was possible, but now I want Ocarina of Time even more now. Really good stuff, I don't regret paying $250 for it one bit.

Ever since it was mentioned that Nintendo "has something planned" for the Zelda 25th anniversary, however, I can't stop thinking about that Zelda-edition 3DS mockup that we all oggled a few weeks back. I'm going to feel quite disappointed if they do something like that.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
    edited March 2011
    Disappointed because you are already buying one of the current 3DS models or disappointed because you expect something a bit more grand then that?

Rehab on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm kinda hoping they do that, even though I am buying a launch unit. I couldn't bring myself to actually play any Zelda themed one, and it would just sit in my Zelda collection cabinet anyway.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This thing is heavy and built up for its size. Feels good man

Algertman on
  • SpruchySpruchy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for popping in the 3DS thread to tell us you'll be playing your PSP.

Seriously, thanks. You're totally not a gigantic asshole.

Spruchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Got my shiny black new unit and picked up SSF4 at a moderate crowd, very orderly GameStop midnight launch. I felt sort of bad for the haggard looking parents up way past their bedtime there to get the 3DS for their kids. Especially the lady right in front of me who didn't know about the discount for trading in a DSi/lite until she saw one of the flyers laying around there tonight.

Anyway! Played Street Fighter in training mode for half an hour or so trying to get a feel for the controls. Game looks great. No complaints with how it plays so far either, but I've sucked ass at every previous version of Street Fighter so there's a lot of practice and/or a lot of use of Lite mode in my future.

OK, one critique, more of a reflection really: I really appreciate that it's possible to remap your controls individually for each character. However, I'm somewhat puzzled that there doesn't seem to be any way to change the default "global" button mapping. My basic punch and kick buttons I definitely want to change from the default (let's put light punch and kick on the shoulder buttons instead of heavy, for instance), but I'm not really going to want to vary that from character to character as far as I can see and adjusting those for everybody is sort of annoying.

Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Gaslight on
    edited March 2011
    Spruchy wrote: »
    Thanks for popping in the 3DS thread to tell us you'll be playing your PSP.

Seriously, thanks. You're totally not a gigantic asshole.

Heh, there is certainly something to be said for that.

What I find amusing is seeing this part:
    I'd be a day 1 adopter

And then going back to the first page and seeing that the first post which does not belong to me is this:
    Preordered. My eyes will likely fall out of my head after playing this the next five years, but I ain't even mad.

Was it just a way to subscribe to the thread or was there a cancelled preorder? Hmmm.

Rehab on
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think it's a lot about the wow factor from first seeing 3D.
    And then getting used to it and thinking about it more rationally.

CygnusZ on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DS games look pretty ace on the thing.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Disappointed because you are already buying one of the current 3DS models or disappointed because you expect something a bit more grand then that?

Disappointed because I will have, once again, fallen prey to my own lack of patience when it comes to games hardware.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Really? They were complaining about this on Giant Bomb, saying that 2D games in particular (like Layton) look pretty bad conformed to the 3DS's screens

UnbreakableVow on
  • V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Disappointed because I will have, once again, fallen prey to my own lack of patience when it comes to games hardware.

It's probably the same feeling people with unique/exclusive original phat DS's have. The "I've got the hardware that works, but now I want the cooler version."

Incidentally, does anyone here have a differently-colored original DS?

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Really? They were complaining about this on Giant Bomb, saying that 2D games in particular (like Layton) look pretty bad conformed to the 3DS's screens

Just played about half an hour of DQ IV with the bordered view and it looked great.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, I've been goofing off with my shiny new Cosmic Black 3DS, and I have to say it's a damn sexy machine. I really like the Music Player app thingy, works great in the doc, has the clock on the top screen. So far i've put about 60 minutes of time into Steel Diver, and Lego Star Wars III. Steel Diver I was fine on full 3D, but with Lego Star Wars I did have to tone it down a little bit. There is more foreground pop on that, so it tends to stress the eyes a bit more. I did not end up with any kind of headache though, so victory there!

I added everyone who was on the roster with legit codes as of 2am. The future is nice.

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wonder if my inability to sleep will affect my tolerance for the 3D in a few hours.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you're not giddy about glassesless 3D, you're from a younger generation than I.

This is right next to flying cars to me

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's funny how I've heard everything between "it ruins DS games" to "about looks the same". I'm sure there's some pixel-perfect-purists who would swear against it, but I also wouldn't write off having it look completely untouched, either.

I am in the "looks about the same camp". Lacking a 3DS title (I am not impressed at all with the launch games) I am playing through my 3DS backlog.

The only difference I noticed that the content seems a bit smoothed out and the colors appear a touch lighter. The smoothing is not a bad thing, because it makes pixels less oblivious when sprites are being rotated. (Mode 7?)

I just wish it would be possible to add at least bilinear filtering to the DS titles which use polygons. On the other hand, I don't even know if DS titles use some sort 3D standard (like OpenGL).

Dratatoo on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, I've been goofing off with my shiny new Cosmic Black 3DS, and I have to say it's a damn sexy machine. I really like the Music Player app thingy, works great in the doc, has the clock on the top screen. So far i've put about 60 minutes of time into Steel Diver, and Lego Star Wars III. Steel Diver I was fine on full 3D, but with Lego Star Wars I did have to tone it down a little bit. There is more foreground pop on that, so it tends to stress the eyes a bit more. I did not end up with any kind of headache though, so victory there!

I added everyone who was on the roster with legit codes as of 2am. The future is nice.

Oh, there's a music player?

How's it handle podcasts? Can it save your spot in a 'song', or will one have to start fresh each time?

yalborap on
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What's the battery life on these things? Also, I've been spoiled by how pretty the DS lite is, what's the likelihood of a 3DS lite being released in a year?

edit: oh, does it accept extra storage such as micro sd?

Ranced on
  • V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ranced wrote: »
    What's the battery life on these things? Also, I've been spoiled by how pretty the DS lite is, what's the likelihood of a 3DS lite being released in a year?

Not likely. The original DS was released in Nov. 2004 and the Lite didn't hit in Japan till March 2006. Ignoring that, the 3DS has all the features from the DSi (and more), is as compact as its going to get, and basically will be able to get more firmware update out of the box.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
    edited March 2011
    Ranced wrote: »

edit: oh, does it accept extra storage such as micro sd?

Battery life's something like 3.5-4 hours full blast, 5-ish if you tone it back, and 6-ish DS mode. The thing's pretty hungry.

And it does accept something, though I don't know if it's regular SD or Micro.

yalborap on
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yalborap wrote: »

How's it handle podcasts? Can it save your spot in a 'song', or will one have to start fresh each time?

I haven't tried podcasts specifically yet, but it does save your spot in the most recent song, even through the first system update. Just select 'Resume' the next time you launch the app.

EDIT: Personally my battery went red within 2 hours of purchase, that's without any initial charge. It's now trying to charge, but I keep pestering it. Soooo, it's going slowly.

And it takes full sized SD cards. I have an 8GB Class 10 card that's working perfectly in it, and the system comes with a 2 GB of unknown class manufactured by Toshiba. You do have to take the SD card out in order to put more music, etc, on it, and the system warns you to turn it completely off (no sleep mode) when messing with the SD card. I put everything in a /Music/ folder and everything was found immediately.

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
    edited March 2011
    Hey, do you NEED to use the cradle, or does it have a detachable cord that can plug straight into the 3DS like most handhelds?

yalborap on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey, do you NEED to use the cradle, or does it have a detachable cord that can plug straight into the 3DS like most handhelds?

You can just plug it in, the cradles pretty pointless imho

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It looks good by my bed!

Jintor on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I thought you were having a schizophrenic moment there. If I turn my head sideways and cross my eyes do your avatars become 3D? :P

I like the cradle for ease of just dropping it on my nightstand at bedtime rather than fiddling with wires. Will probably need to get a second cable for in-flight charging though.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Damn Nintendo really skimped on the Club Nintendo points for registering the 3DS.. I got 300 for registering my 250 dollar Wii, I was expecting the same for the 3DS not 160 points. How much do you get for the games? I was relying on the 3DS to get me half way to platinum this year. Anybody have any doubles on club Nintendo codes for any games for any of their Nintendo systems I could have?.. =P

Anyway Friend Code:
    4854-6434-9883

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited March 2011
    I thought you were having a schizophrenic moment there. If I turn my head sideways and cross my eyes do your avatars become 3D? :P

I like the cradle for ease of just dropping it on my nightstand at bedtime rather than fiddling with wires. Will probably need to get a second cable for in-flight charging though.

You get a cradle and a wire adapter, iirc (don't have the packaging on me right now)

Jintor on
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Damn Nintendo really skimped on the Club Nintendo points for registering the 3DS.. I got 300 for registering my 250 dollar Wii, I was expecting the same for the 3DS not 160 points.

That's because Gamecubes are valued at 150 points.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

How's it handle podcasts? Can it save your spot in a 'song', or will one have to start fresh each time?[/QUOTE]

It still goes to sleep mode if you close it, so no listening to anything while having the 3DS in your pocket. I haven't checked in particular if it remembers your place in a song, but I think it does.

Peewi on
    edited March 2011
    I don't know why they didn't add a keep playing while in sleep mode button. I'm not gonna leave this open in my pocket Nintendo!

3D Visualisers are trippy as shit.

Jintor on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Damn Nintendo really skimped on the Club Nintendo points for registering the 3DS.. I got 300 for registering my 250 dollar Wii, I was expecting the same for the 3DS not 160 points.

That's because Gamecubes are valued at 150 points.

I don't get it.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited March 2011
    Oh, the birdy on the 3DS music player just told me that it continues to play music if you close it, but only if you have headphones plugged in. So give that a try.

Jintor on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Picking this up first thing tomorrow, along with SSFIV.

I'm excited.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
This discussion has been closed.