As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New PATV for March 18: Season 2 Episode 17 - New Child's Play Hire! (Part 1)

BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Social Entropy++
2uzqxae.jpg

Not a ton to say. Its mostly phone interviews and explainations so the forum part defiently isnt featured yet.

Bedlam on

• Options
    QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zappos is the only other company I can think of that has a unique hiring process

great episode

Qorzm on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If a company requires me to be a gamer to be an employee, that is a company I would want to work for.

Xehalus on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hah! This was predicted, when they mentioned the new CP hire off hand in the expansion episode! :D

Now if only it would load...

EDIT: You guys ever worry that you might pass over a more 'efficient' employee in favour of a better personality fit? Like, for example, Brian the warehouse guy - he doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of you, but he is a beast worker...

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I swear to god, the last hire episode gave me a nightmare. I shit you not.

I dreamt I was there, in Khoo's office. The silence was so thick you could cut it with a knife. All I felt was pure and utter shame. I was looking down into my lap, fighting back tears of embarrassment. Then Robert sighed deeply and spoke.

"Why did you even waste my time?"

I felt like I was stabbed in the gut with sword of ice. I immediately woke up and was so upset, I had to walk around my room to calm down. I actually watched this episode somewhat cringing. The next one is going to be really hard to see.
    Hah! This was predicted, when they mentioned the new CP hire off hand in the expansion episode! :D

Well that and they, you know, actually announced they were hiring. It was on both the main page and Robert make a post here.

halkun on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's clear that the military wants most of their employees to be gamers.

If not only for the hand-eye coordination improvements, but for the simulated experiences and coalesced desensitization.

And stuff like this:

http://www.1up.com/news/study-shows-games-stave-alzheimer

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Health/story?id=814080&page=1

Xehalus on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    halkun wrote: »
    I swear to god, the last hire episode gave me a nightmare. I shit you not.

I dreamt I was there, in Khoo's office. The silence was so thick you could cut it with a knife. All I felt was pure and utter shame. I was looking down into my lap, fighting back tears of embarrassment. Then Robert sighed deeply and spoke.

"Why did you even waste my time?"

I felt like I was stabbed in the gut with sword of ice. I immediately woke up and was so upset, I had to walk around my room to calm down. I actually watched this episode somewhat cringing. The next one is going to be really hard to see.

I had a penny arcade job dream too

i dreamt i managed to get hired, except i quickly realized that not only was i not qualified for the job in any way, but i didn't even know what the job was for

it was me wandering the halls wondering what i was supposed to be doing trying to look busy

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I actually got the chance to meet the new Child's Play hire at PAX.

I'm not going to spoil it, but I do have to say, from the brief interactions that we had at the con, it's very clear that he/she was definitely the right choice.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hows it the new comic gets stickied but not the new PATV?

This is dispicable!

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kurtz also announced her and had her come up to the stage during the late night panel.

Goose! on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ARE WE IN THIS?

Langly on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    ARE WE IN THIS?

not yet!

tynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I wouldnt be suprised if they barely mentioned the forum part in the next episode. Theres only so much you can cram into ten minutes.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I happen to be a good friend of the person who just got hired. I actually worked with them for around two and a half years. It was awesome watching her freak out about the interview process.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like the content of this episode, but like the other Child's Play episode this season it seems like there's a lot of people repeating each other. Like, I think at least 3 different people have talked about how the people they bring in for interviews are qualified for the mechanical/nut and bolts part of the job, and what they need to find out is if their personality meshes.

It's like everybody and the editors is thinking "DO YOU HEAR THIS LEARNEDHAND?! GET IT INTO YOUR BRAIN!"

KalTorak on
  • Options
    NeoNaoNeoNeoNaoNeo Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Maaaan, felt super uncomfortable watching that. The idea that you may (and probably did) turn down the best candidate for a job which helps sick children because they don't play Street Fighter is a bit....eugh. It's not like non-gamers are urr-creatures that speak in gutter tongue, you can get along with and become friends with them. Surely when the job you are hiring for involves helping people you should choose the person who would best help, or help more, people.

NeoNaoNeo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah but its a job that gives games to sick kids. And its working for a company that revolves areound making webcomics about games and delivering gaming news to the public. Not to mention PAX that basically celebrates gaming culture as a whole. Knowledge of the medium is pretty important as it relates to the job at hand.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited March 2011
    LH Alt?

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd fail so hard at that interview process. I can never ever apply for any of their jobs!

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm just waiting till penny-arcade starts hiring for a spirit squad.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Knowledge of the medium is pretty important as it relates to the job at hand.

You can have knowledge of the culture, indeed be embroiled in it, without being an actual gamer.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    NeoNaoNeo wrote: »
    Maaaan, felt super uncomfortable watching that. The idea that you may (and probably did) turn down the best candidate for a job which helps sick children because they don't play Street Fighter is a bit....eugh. It's not like non-gamers are urr-creatures that speak in gutter tongue, you can get along with and become friends with them. Surely when the job you are hiring for involves helping people you should choose the person who would best help, or help more, people.

Right, because that is the only thing that was taken into account with the other candidates; their prowess at Street Fighter.

How about this; when you start your own monumentally successful charity, and then spend more than seven years serving at the head of that organization, you can comment on any mistakes that Robert made during the interview process for this job.

Or, and this is my preferred option, you could shut up about it.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Right, because that is the only thing that was taken into account with the other candidates; their prowess at Soul Calibur.

Fixed that for you.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »

Right, because that is the only thing that was taken into account with the other candidates; their prowess at Soul Calibur.

Fixed that for you.

Anybody who can't effectively use Killik really has no place in the modern American workplace.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am shocked to learn that no one at a company full of nerds plays bass.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

This discussion again?

All three candidates (WHITTLED DOWN FROM 1300! 1300!) would be excellent AT the position, but that does not mean that they would mesh well with the office. That is important in ANY position, not just Penny-Arcade.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Whoops, except if that they're a dickhole at the office and harm the working environment then

-PA as a whole suffers on all fronts from people not liking work as much
    -Child's Play suffers from the weakening of PA
    -PA has to go through the costly and unpleasant experience of firing the new hire and getting someone else, which also means Child's Play is short a head during the search and is unable to help as many people.

I guess when hiring the "best" person, the person doing the hiring gets to decide what "best" means, huh.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think Khoo secretly puts the three candidates through a game of intense Twister. Who ever wins gets the job.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think Khoo secretly puts the three candidates through a game of intense Twister. Who ever winds gets the job.

He did

it was called SE++

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Do we get to know which person is which forum candidate?

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This was an excellent episode.

Too bad we have to wait for part deux.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Meiz wrote: »
    This was an excellent episode.

Too bad we have to wait for part deux.

Well, if you'd come to PAX, you probably would've met the new hire, and been spared the agony of waiting.

So lesson learned; everybody should always come to every PAX.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Turambar wrote: »
    Do we get to know which person is which forum candidate?

I asked khoo at pax and he said he couldnt tell me. I do have a good idea of which one it was though based on the answers given during the SE++ thing and when scott and kurtz had them up talking at the late night show.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kilroy wrote: »
    I am shocked to learn that no one at a company full of nerds plays bass.

I play upright, not electric.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ^Upright is worth 20 more nerd points than electric.

There are points.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Fixed that for you.

Anybody who can't effectively use Killik really has no place in the modern American workplace.

Look. I'm just happy with my SC2 Kilik. Namco just keeps putting out new versions of Kilik to force us to buy the newer Soul Caliburs. Sure they're flashier, but it's just particle effects and a fancy new outfit or two. The moves are mostly same, except for when they remove the most useful and intuitive moves. It's just change for the sake of change.
    Or, and this is my preferred option, you could shut up about it.

<3ing you so much right now.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fucking hell we don't even meet the candidates this week?

Is this a 3 parter?

Fuck.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tynic wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    ARE WE IN THIS?

not yet!

I'm so excited for the next part!

skettios on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ooh my god Khoo is training Erika to be she-khoo

Next episode she is going to flash up pictures of hospitals from the projector and calmly ask "What is wrong with this child?"

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ooh my god Khoo is training Erika to be she-khoo

Next episode she is going to flash up pictures of hospitals from the projector and calmly ask "What is wrong with this child?"

"Broken leg."
    "Leukemia."
    "Not enough Street Fighter."

Liiya on
  • Options
    Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Am I the only person that felt bad for the candidate who played base in the country blue grass cover band?

That seemed to be harsh at the end...

Gnomeland Security on
This discussion has been closed.